• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Also on reddit a lot of people pointing out how awkward the scripted jokes are, that they just seem "fake corporate excited, not genuine geeky excited" (literally what?)....

Like... all of their scripted announcments have had an aura of cringey and bad jokes, it's been part of their brand for a while, but since everyone's already been negative as fuck about CR as a whole lately, they are acting like it's the first time Matt made a bad joke ever. The outrage is so stupid lmao.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
They'll likely tease some things as time progresses, like the silhouettes for the characters and stuff like that.

Yeah, I expect plenty to be teased/revealed leading up to the premier. I guess mainly I wanted clarity on the new storytellers portion, as that's vague enough for people to concoct very different ideas for what that means. I'm excited regardless of what it ends up being.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fun. Probably won't be done with Campaign 2 by that time though. Can't wait to see what characters everyone makes. Ready to see them classes!

i was down on prerecorded but I've had such a blast with Dimension 20 that I've learned it hardly matters.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it in context, I think they just meant that new people would be around. I figure they all consider themselves "storytellers". So it could mean new GMs for different games, or just new guest players for either the campaign or other stuff that they put out. i.e. New Narrative Telephone, or whatever.

But it's unsurprising that the subreddit is taking the least charitable interpretation of that. I try to stop myself from going on there too often because it so often seems to become a competition among people about who can be the most aggrieved. It's the same on the Adventure Zone subreddit (which has been getting slightly better lately because the new season has been pretty well received, but during the last one it was basically unreadable).

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Maybe there will be a secret second table playing the big bads, or a rival group. (or maybe just more guests who are POC considering this is gonna be set in Marquet.)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the wider CR community has been toxic as fuck for a while now. I really do feel for the team that this is the type of reaction they're getting.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
While part of the problem here lies in CR's bad wording with the storytellers bit, I do think that a lot of the fandom has this bad habit of assuming the worst and then not really budging on the "CR bad" stance even after getting a proper explanation.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been able to watch live (being 9 hours ahead of PST will do that), and I've always skipped the fan art reels lol. So this change does not affect me in any way.

Really excited that it's starting so soon! Interested to see the Exandria lore video and the set reveal. It looked really nice.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been able to watch live (being 9 hours ahead of PST will do that), and I've always skipped the fan art reels lol. So this change does not affect me in any way.

Really excited that it's starting so soon! Interested to see the Exandria lore video and the set reveal. It looked really nice.

Same here. Shoutout to the people who post timestamps in the comments on youtube. Heroes.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No fan art reel is pretty sad, but otherwise not bothered by the off week (though I'm going to hate the inevitable cliffhangers) and it sounds like they might use that week for other stuff every now and then, which is great. Also do not care at all about it being live or not, all that's important is what works best for them .

Excited to see what they are planning with guests too. The set sneak peek looked great too, real classy looking.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Would never skip the art reels in C1. I think it was the music. It felt so... I dunno how to best describe it, warm and welcoming I guess.

Wonder how Marquet is going to work out. Isn't it fairly small and sparsely populated outside the capital? A bit of a shame they've tied their brand so tightly to Exandria. It's Matt's baby, obviously, but it'll be interesting to see them play around in some other, less standard setting one day.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Marquet is just a starting point, so they could end up anywhere. I like the idea of a city-focused campaign, though the cast doesn't like staying in once place for long if C2 is anything to go by!

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested on seeing what they bring for the off-weeks.

Same for me. I don't think that I have ever watched the fan art section.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Matt goes backToa more hefty handed linear approach, this group had down itself to just not like or handle a big sandbox

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how Marquet is going to work out. Isn't fairly small and sparsely populated outside the capital? A bit of a shame they've tied their brand so tightly to Exandria. It's Matt's baby, obviously, but it'll be interesting to see them play around in some other, less standard setting one day.

It was never really described in details, so Matt can add as many things as he wants, especially since it will take place several decades after the last time an episode led us there. And then, the usual structure of an adventure is to stay some time in a city/village, then scour the wilderness, then go back to another or the same city. There's no need to have ten cities for that after all.

The main issue i'll have with a Marquet setting is that i'll likely have to hear their french accents a lot more. And they are a bit hard on my french ears. :p

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not a fan of removing the fan art section. The intermission seems too much like an ad reel without it. Love having the table back together. Sucks that it's not live, but it's understandable.

Marisha's mention of new storytellers is... let's just say it's divisive.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
A lot of people forget Colville was going to DM for a bit for some CS stuff, all wishing Matt's plans. I'm sure that's the line they are thinking.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Something self contained like a Folding Halls of Halas type dungeon could be perfect for a different DM to take over for an episode or two. Don't have to worry about them messing with the main story and it doesn't affect the inter-player RP.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
I gotta say, one of the more ironic things here is that people have been gushing about Dimension 20 on reddit for a few motnhs now, saying that CR could learn a few things from how they do it. And now that CR is doing one of those things (going prerecorded) people are losing their minds.

And now that both Matt and the official CR account have made it very clear on twitter that nobody's being replaced or leaving the main cast, idrk why so many people are still speculating on the new storytelling bits they teased. I honestly think it's going to be less "new cast members" and more "we use the new studio and the prerecorded format to do some cool storytelling stuff". Like splitting up the party, having more intimate RP with only a few group members at a time, doing some cool practical effects in the studio etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
To me it's beyond obvious they would continue recording in advance. As much as vaccine take up has been decent there is still the threat of lockdowns and changes to rules regarding covid. May as well continue to do what they've been successfully doing.

I'd obviously like to see them all snuggled up instead of distanced, but really it's down to their comfort and what they are prepared to do

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the art reel was just begging for a blow-up over "artists working for free" so it's probably for the best that it's gone

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of removing the fan art section. The intermission seems too much like an ad reel without it. Love having the table back together. Sucks that it's not live, but it's understandable.

Marisha's mention of new storytellers is... let's just say it's divisive.

I'm guessing removing the reel may have a bit to do with the recent changes to copyright policies.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I hope that by losing the art section, we get more fan art books. Of course with artists properly paid for their gorgeous work.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also on reddit a lot of people pointing out how awkward the scripted jokes are, that they just seem "fake corporate excited, not genuine geeky excited" (literally what?)....

Like... all of their scripted announcments have had an aura of cringey and bad jokes, it's been part of their brand for a while, but since everyone's already been negative as fuck about CR as a whole lately, they are acting like it's the first time Matt made a bad joke ever. The outrage is so stupid lmao.

Honestly, as far as pre-taped announcements go, this was probably the least cringy and corporate it has ever felt like.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Overall, I don't have any massive concerns based on the announcements, although losing 1/4th of the monthly core content on the regular isn't ideal especially if it's pre-taped. Hopefully we won't have too many months of only 2 episodes if they adjust the week off as specific holidays come up in 2022.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
3 episodes a month is kind of a bummer. I get that there's some growing pains right now, but it seems like the bigger the show gets, the less content we're getting.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
While it is less content, I think it's better for the crew in the long run. Matt only ever getting DM breaks like 2-3 times a year was obviously starting to take its toll.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Gives Matt more time to work on additional projects which is good, I bet it was hell for him to do both campaign 2 and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount at same time. I just wonder what they mean by varying GMs if it will be on the 4th week break or during the actual main campaign.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Overall, I don't have any massive concerns based on the announcements, although losing 1/4th of the monthly core content on the regular isn't ideal especially if it's pre-taped. Hopefully we won't have too many months of only 2 episodes if they adjust the week off as specific holidays come up in 2022.

If they can add a supplemental campaign with Aabria Gm'ing, I'm good. Won't even bat an eye.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm fine with them taking a week off every month. It's disappointing, but it's not like we won't be getting new content on that fourth week anyways. It just won't be C3 Content. If it helps the crew feel less pidgeonhold into a single Campaign, I think it would make the content feel all the better. Campaign 2 ended on a wierd note, but that was mainly because the players were getting tired of their characters and wanting to do something new. So if that that fourth week of every month let's them get that in the form of one-shots or different settings then it can only be for the best. Also when you look at Campaign 1 vs Campaign 2, there were a lot more one-shots that happened during the regular campaign period compared to Campaign 2. So you could say it's just going back to how things used to be.

As for content remaining prerecorded, I'm 100% fine with it. I always found that people put too much emphasis on it being live when realistically, it's not like they ever used the Live format to do interactions with the fanbase, or did anything that really required it. And in fact, if they never said it was prerecorded. Nobody would have ever realized it. So prerecording vs live never really mattered. The bigger thing was the pandemic restrictions which made a far bigger impact since everyone couldn't be at the same table anymore.

Lastly, for the content policy that is such a non-issue that it's laughable people are complaining. I took a quick look and it's as standard issue as it could possibly be. I'm more surprised they didn't have one before now because of how common they are for IP. It's laughably open as to what you can do while still earning money off of your stuff, even compared to other similar content policies. It basically can be summed down to "Don't commercialize our stuff without asking, don't use our content to compete against us. You can earn money while using a limited amount of our stuff but don't abuse it. Don't be a dick."

Last edited:

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The end-of-month break is a-ok by me. Matt was looking pretty exhausted by the end of last campaign and I'm all for a catch-up week if I get behind lol. I'm just happy C3 is so close. I miss watching these goons roll dice on Thursdays.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Critical Role is amazing.

The Critical Role fandom is the worst.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
My two cents: (Disclaimer, I'm still on Episode 89 of C2)

• Since I haven't even reached the part where they started pre-recording stuff for C2, I have no opinion whatsoever on live vs prerecorded
  • I don't mind them having the last thursday of each month "off" in terms of C3 stuff. If it helps them to avoid burnout (considering their VA jobs plus *everything* that has to do with CR that isn't playing D&D on thursday night... it can get a bit too much) then I'm all for it.
  • Marquet, yay!
  • I wonder what the 'surprises' will be regarding "mixing things up". I wouldn't say no to a second (parallel) group with a different DM but... wouldn't that need a big amount of coordination between Matt and the other DM as to not trespass on whatever the other's doing? Anyway, who knows? It could be a myriad things in terms of new ideas.
  • The new set looks very very nice, at least from the small glimpse we had.
  • I wonder what's the reasoning behind scrapping the art reel. I used to watch it during C1 and early C2 but when I started to pick up the pace I just... fast forwarded through it. Still, plenty of insanely talented artists who made stuff I could only dream of, and I enjoyed watching that.
  • I wonder who's gonna host the new talk show and how different from Talks Machina it'll be. I'm gonna miss BWF.

There's no way I finish C2 before C3 starts (not even listening an episode a day, which I currently can't) so I won't be able to watch this live, either... but it will be the *closest* I've ever been. I'd probably manage to catch up if they have a holiday break. It's gonna be... a very interesting experience for me, if that ends up happening - I've always watched the VODs, and the discourse around it has always been so displaced from my own experience (I started on C1 while they were like 30 or so episodes into C2... actually three exact years ago, on this very day, now I that I check.) that I haven't had the chance to discuss the show's happenings *as they happen* with... well, nobody. Even considering my D&D group who also watch CR, our DM is close to finishing C2 (and already finished C1), one hasn't even finished the Chroma Conclave arc of C1, and one fell off near C1E100 and never finished it... so it's been an uneven conversation (DM trying to hype me while avoiding spoilers from C2; me and our DM trying to hype ou friend who's still in the Conclave arc but without spoiling him, and so on) that's very different from all of us being at the exact same point of the narrative. Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. I hope I can finish C2 before the end of the year!

And as for the subreddit reaction to the announcement, I can't say I'm surprised - even if the CR community is less toxic or outright shameful compared to other fandoms, it still has elements of outright unhealthy projection or behavior. Not trying to play armchair shrink here, but it wouldn't surprise me if plenty of the "they're gonna change it now it sucks! they're all sellouts now!" responses stem from people engaging in a sort of parasocial relationship with the cast and believing that any change to the original formula is basically "taking away the only thing that gives them happiness" or something like that, which is... unfortunate, and it's unfair to the CR guys.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah the subreddit is just toxic, bur for what is worth the youtube comments seems to be better.

I'm still making my way on C2, can't wait to follow episode by episode.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Everything sounds fine to me, but I'll go against the grain and say I prefer live recordings. There was just something special about sitting down on a Thursday night knowing they were playing live and anything could happen. No one in the world knows what's coming next and we're watching it unfold live, together! And maybe I imagined it, but there was also a slight nervous energy in the air that disappeared when they went to pre recorded. It's like they feel almost too... safe(?) now, knowing they're not live and could scrap anything if they need to. Or maybe that was C2's fault and that nervous excitement comes back with C3. The other slightly annoying thing is since they know about stuff for a week or more before it airs we'll sometimes get the hype up tweets like "don't miss this one!" and it kinda ruins the suspense a bit... so like if they don't tweet it's just gonna be a standard episode where not much happens?

I dunno. If it makes it easier on them for now that's great, but I hope we get back to live at some point down the line.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The no art reel is disappointing but understandable especially with the recent copyright changes, showing artists work without giving any contribution, was probably opening them up to legal shit.
Only 3 episodes a month is disappointing too, again understandable they have busy lives and are no longer *grinding it out*, trying to branch the company out to more content and different media and giving everyone a break.

The prerecorded thing doesn't bother me makes no difference in the watching experience, and probably allows them now without the art reals to edit it and cut out the breaks. I was just want them at the same table again.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will ever go back to live shows, tbh. COVID may have been the reason they initially started pre-recording, but it definitely makes their lives so much easier... Going back to live shows would be hard after that, and there is no tangible benefit for them to do so. Most people aren't going to stop watching if it sticks with pre-recording. Hell, the majority of CR fans probably can't/don't watch it live anyway.

Last edited:

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Everything sounds fine to me, but I'll go against the grain and say I prefer live recordings. There was just something special about sitting down on a Thursday night knowing they were playing live and anything could happen. No one in the world knows what's coming next and we're watching it unfold live, together! And maybe I imagined it, but there was also a slight nervous energy in the air that disappeared when they went to pre recorded. It's like they feel almost too... safe(?) now, knowing they're not live and could scrap anything if they need to. Or maybe that was C2's fault and that nervous excitement comes back with C3. The other slightly annoying thing is since they know about stuff for a week or more before it airs we'll sometimes get the hype up tweets like "don't miss this one!" and it kinda ruins the suspense a bit... so like if they don't tweet it's just gonna be a standard episode where not much happens?

I dunno. If it makes it easier on them for now that's great, but I hope we get back to live at some point down the line.
I don't think most people would disagree with you that live steams are better, it's just a question of whether it's worth the burden and inconvenience it creates for the cast. I'd say no. Pre-recording is a small sacrifice for us but a huge boon to the cast. I'd say let them do whatever they want to make filming as easy and enjoyable as possible. A happier, less burnt out cast will make a better show.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
It took about a year and a half, but I'm finally at the C2 finale. I listened to the penultimate episode today and my god I had to hold back tears at work.
That clutch Divine Intervention for Talesin to revive his own character was fucking poetic.
I'm excited that campaign 3 is soon. It's going to be so different not having an episode to listen to each day at work after tomorrow. The live broadcasts happen too late for me (damn you east coast time), so I don't know if I'll stick to the podcast and watch the highlights or watch the full uploaded video when it's available. It will be nice to finally be up to date with everyone.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, Matt said the VOD would be available immediately for subscribers, but never mentioned streaming the pre-recorded, atleast I don't think he did..Does this mean anyone not subbed has to wait for the youtube upload?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, Matt said the VOD would be available immediately for subscribers, but never mentioned streaming the pre-recorded, atleast I don't think he did..Does this mean anyone not subbed has to wait for the youtube upload?
? It will air on both Twitch and Youtube on Thursday evenings via streaming as normal, no subscription required.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I imagine that part will be the same as it has always been

It took about a year and a half, but I'm finally at the C2 finale. I listened to the penultimate episode today and my god I had to hold back tears at work.
That clutch Divine Intervention for Talesin to revive his own character was fucking poetic.
I'm excited that campaign 3 is soon. It's going to be so different not having an episode to listen to each day at work after tomorrow. The live broadcasts happen too late for me (damn you east coast time), so I don't know if I'll stick to the podcast and watch the highlights or watch the full uploaded video when it's available. It will be nice to finally be up to date with everyone.

Congrats on catching up! If you ever feel the urge to watch live, even if only for an hour or two you can join our Live Episode crew in this Thread and on Discord... I promise we don't bite (mostly) :P

Also, if you are looking for content to listen to at work to keep you company, you have the 8ish episodes of Exandria Unlimited they put out. Also the amazing one-shot Ashley GMed

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the art reel got the axe, but understandable. The weekly-ish feature on the website is decent, but it does sometime miss the best stuff from the show reel. Hopefully they can expand it a bit more within the guidelines that are now in place. Biggest bummer is that it sort of puts Liam's (and Taliesin's) role in the company more in the backseat than what it was before, so hopefully they can find other avenues to bring things more front and center from time-to-time. Also eager to see how the next Chronicles of Exandeia turns out for them if that's continuing.

Week breaks toward the end of the month coupled with pre-recording is a solid plan, especially if it helps avoid the necessity of the longer recharge breaks. It's a shame that the giveaways/fan interactions are probably dead until possibly the after-show.

Seemed quite notable that they said after-show and not Talks Machina, so there's probably going to be a complete do-over there. It really felt like the perfect name given how adamant they were in sticking with it for C2, but maybe feelings bts necessitated the clean break or Amazon wanted to grab the title for a potential after show for the animated show (they have after shows for The Boys and The Expanse).

Eager to see the new set(s) fully, and it was great seeing those three on the couch together for the State of the Role. Not as great as seeing everyone together hugging it out like they had wanted, but better than nothing.

As for the campaign content itself, I don't see what was being said that warrants people losing their minds. But what else is new with the fan base. It's good that the cast want to mix things up a bit, and it's better to just wait and see what those things actually are. I would have preferred a more separated and less cultural minefield of a setting than Marquet, but I trust the cast to do right and respond well to any constructive criticisms.
Hope Matt goes backToa more hefty handed linear approach, this group had down itself to just not like or handle a big sandbox
It fell more to the players in creating and going hard in on non-committal characters, or in Matt and them not communicating better in landing on the same page, than the sandbox itself. At nearly every juncture in C2 the players ran away from either what Matt set in front of them or whatever they themselves had began, including that last arc until they seemed to realize they needed to end somewhere. Even a linear campaign/show would fall apart with characters like that and the DM having to force in ways of steering them back.