• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greenry

Oct 27, 2017
His son Brandon made a very Cronenberg film two years ago in Possessor - the ending is a trip.

OP
OP
matrix-cat

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It rocks that both Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart turned into legit cool actors doing sicko movies with Cronenberg. I love them.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OPZzH8W.jpg
Same. Also I wanted to share this meme.

haha_yes_siskos.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Crash isn't perfect but it's very moody and gets under your skin. I'm not a fan of how Holly Hunter's character is just dropped.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I watched Crash on the theaters back in '96 and I loved it. I did also see Irreversible on the big screen and that was far more disturbing (even if I also loved the movie as such).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

David Cronenberg hasn't made a movie since Map to the Stars back in 2014, but his long awaited Crimes of the Future is premiering at Cannes this May and chaps, it sounds like we're eating:

That's not the famously bad Oscar-winning Crash, btw, that's Cronenberg's Crash, aka the best Cronenberg, aka the one where they get desperately, irresistibly aroused by car crashes and James Spader fucks Rosanna Arquette's gaping leg wound. And Crimes of the Future is going to outdo that?

nkaCA5I.jpg

EDIT - Adding the synopsis:

Whewww so hyped for this

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Cronenberg loves to make movies about an unsuspecting person finding themselves dragged into the seedy, sinister underbelly of some strange subculture. Sometimes it's psychic powers, sometimes it's the people controlling our brains from the TV world, and sometimes it's crashing your car on purpose because it turns you on.

Same reason I like Murakami novels. I love seeing characters get caught up in strangeness.

I can't wait for this. I remember the first time I watched Videodrome. Crazy experience. He's such an unique director.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too intimidated to watch any Cronenberg movies. What's the tamest of his classics?

Videodrome!

Nothing weird about new flesh in that I promise!

Or Shivers, it's not full of sex parasites that make group sex mass killings at all.

I'm lying to you

Dead Ringers, Dead Zone are your best bets and then you can move up to Existenz and then maybe Rabid... maybe

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that most folks had the most outrage for the scene that's not under the spoiler, I expect that the last 20 minutes will be a straight-up gay orgy. Which is fine by me!

But yeah, can't wait to see him back in the saddle again after all this time.

Nah it'll be something new

Cronenberg already did the best orgy is cinematic history in Shivers how can you top a bunch of parasite slugs, a mass of people, a whole lot of group sex and blood blood blood

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, can't wait to see this! Cronenberg's recent films have been kind of hit or miss for me, but anything he makes is required viewing. By the way, if you like his movies, you should definitely read his novel.
Just wanted to bring more attention to his book, Consumed, which feels like a themed bridge between Videodrome and this movie. The book is a must-read for fans of his films and I don't want to say anything else about it because it's one of those things that's best to go in knowing as little as possible. If you trust him to take you on a good, gory, challenging cinematic journey through film, you can trust him to do the same with a book. Fantastic stuff!

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Oddly it's The Fly that gives me the most trouble, though I still love the film and have seen it many times. There are certain aspects of the transformation that make my skin crawl to this day.

Crash is brilliant.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to this, it will be great to see Cronenberg back in this wheelhouse.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Crash (1996) back in the day on IFC when it was actually an "Independent Film Channel" haha.

kilg0re

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like every year at Cannes since Crash there's a movie that's like this where there's massive walkouts. I doubt it's going to be as controversial as Crash.

When Crash won the Palme d'Or, Francis Ford Coppola didn't want to present Cronenberg with the award.

I'm very excited for this though.

Oct 27, 2017
Anytime a creator claims this it's usually underwhelming compared to how it is made to sound. The stuff that really is shocking and sticks with you is scenes that catch you off guard, and just is allowed to speak for itself. Cronenberg has more credibility here than most I guess but I'm still skeptical.

I get the awards crowds are probably a variety of people who are more prone to having delicate sensibilities or walking out or whatever, but I've seen a lot of these "made people faint at Cannes" movies and they're fairly tame.

Last edited:

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Dead Ringers is probably a good flick to start with. Two top-tier performances from Jeremy Irons:

letterboxd.com

Dead Ringers (1988)

Elliot, a successful gynecologist, works at the same practice as his identical twin, Beverly. Elliot is attracted to many of his patients and has affairs with them. When he inevitably loses interest, he will give the woman over to Beverly, the meeker of the two, without the woman knowing the...

It's a fictionalised version of this story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_and_Cyril_Marcus

Dead Ringers is my #2 Croney and it doesn't have any real gore or grotesqueries.

Most of his movies really aren't that crazy. It's really just a select few in the late 70s where he was heavy into the body horror. Most of his more modern output has been pretty normal, he hasn't made a real 'out there' film in a while

I feel like Eastern Promises and A History of Violence are easy to watch. For more traditional Cronenberg, I honestly don't think The Fly or Videodrome are too hard to watch. Videodrome was my first. I recommend that!

History of Violence would be his most mainstream palatable film. Followed by Eastern Promises.

Dead Ringers and The Dead Zone are firmly R-rated affairs, but they're not particularly icky and have very minimal violence in them. From there, things do get a bit more graphic, but the strong emotional core in films like The Fly, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are prominent enough that I feel one can stomach the violence and gore in them as they're a big element of each story and don't feel like they overwhelm the drama. Past that is where you get into the very disturbing stuff like his late 70s/early 80s genre works and Crash, but they're all made with such intelligence and with a real sense of prescience that forecast a lot of commonplace elements in today's society that the shock value subsides rather quickly and you can really sink your teeth into the concepts that they play around with and marvel at how much he was able to see ahead of a lot of folks out there.

I'm lying to you

Dead Ringers, Dead Zone are your best bets and then you can move up to Existenz and then maybe Rabid... maybe

Appreciate the time everyone took to answer my question! I'm honestly really excited to watch Dead Ringers, Dead Zone, History of Violence, and The Fly after looking them up.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the time everyone took to answer my question! I'm honestly really excited to watch Dead Ringers, Dead Zone, History of Violence, and The Fly after looking them up.

If The Fly isn't too squelchy for you graduate to Existenz which is mad underrated and if you're still grooving Videodrome is just incredible shit

If after all that you're like fuck it bring it on I want max Cronenberg fucked then you can go heavy by kicking it old school with Shivers and Rabid and Middle School with Crash

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too intimidated to watch any Cronenberg movies. What's the tamest of his classics?
The Fly is his best movie IMO, it's a really rock solid thriller with great pacing and, indeed, thrills. Extremely watchable.

However it goes pretty heavy into grotesque body horror a couple of times in the back half. Still not as fully wild as some of his other stuff

Still totally worth it for Jeff Grossblum

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Seydoux's role is way too bonkers and RADICAL to contend for a Cannes Best Actress award in my book, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I see no precedent in Cannes for a performance of that caliber/genre gaining momentum with a jury … I mean Seydoux basically plays a (very oft-naked) Gina Pane-like artist of the near future."

This quote seems to exist in a world where Titane didn't win the Palme d'Or at last year's Cannes.