Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Candidate for worst game of the year?

Opencritic: TBA

Windows Central 2/5
Hints of a solid, finished shooter shine in CrossfireX at times, but at the end of the day, all you're getting is a short, average campaign and a multiplayer experience that lacks content and feels torn between two worlds.

IGN France 4/10
Bad performance, low content, and an omnipresent shop... At least the solo campaign from Remedy is a bit interesting, but that part is not free to play.

WayTooManyGames 4.5/10
The fact that its aggressively bland campaign is, by far, the best part of the package says a lot about the overall quality of what this game has to offer. A multiplayer mode so clunky and so hell-bent on making you spend money on microtransactions to a beyond insane degree, you can't even play it ironically, in order to make fun of it.

Gameranx Don't Recommend

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
So sad to see, I was really hyped for this, not only because of Remedy doing the campaign, but because I thought maybe we'll be getting a COD alternative for multiplayer.

All I got was 1 map (TDM) for Classic mode that I enjoy and that's it.
No private matches.
No content.
Still can't play the promised Gamepass campaign.

This feels like a mobile game ported to console in every possible way, right now.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The silence for this game was telling. Released with such little fanfare those scores don't surprise me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Not terribly surprising considering how quiet this has been leading up to release. Shame Remedy wasn't able to salvage it a bit

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this game being pushed on my XS dashboard and couldn't figure out what it was about.

Now I see I wasn't missing anything at all.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Getting some real "we have Dust II at home" vibes from one of those maps. Shameless. SHAMELESS!

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Did they resolve the Gamepass single player unlocks yet? The multiplayer on One X was pretty abysmal.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I didn't play the multiplayer, but I kind of shutter to think about those stinkers being the best of the package because I paid $25 and that was about 24.98 too much in the end

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is a waste of Remedy talent.

the Remedy interns make this? what happened?

Literally a quick money grab.
And it shows.

This was never meant to be a AAA title, I wouldnt be shocked if its budget is comparable to an Indie title, but atleast Indie titles have passion driving them(mostly) so even with tight budgets they can produce great results.
When you are just doing the job because its a job you end up with uninspired stuff.

Think of this more like those licensed tie in games that used to come out with movies....a dev was paid to do something right quick....so they did the thing right quick quality be damned.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Multiplayer was complete ass. When the default controls are basically shit then you know this ain't it.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i wanna know how different this is compared to the actual crossfire because it's hit records for large playerbase and how much money it's made so hearing this is super bad has me scratching my head because the main one has to have some kind of merit for how successful it's been

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
i wanna know how different this is compared to the actual crossfire because it's hit records for large playerbase and how much money it's made so hearing this is super bad has me scratching my head because the main one has to have some kind of merit for how successful it's been

Does it? It hit mid 2000s and specifically targeted Asian markets, it could just as easily be a case of "right place, right time" and first mover advantage, as it is a testament to the game's quality.

How many major publishers were putting serious resources behind an Asian market focused free to play multiplayer FPS back in 2007? It released in Asian markets before Team Fortress 2 went free to play.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
If the aiming in the MP wasn't the baffling mess that it is, this would at least come off as a cheap cash in CS clone instead of some kind of prank being played on anyone who dares to download it.

The SP is not bad though. Not great, very 360 era kind of shooter, but at least it's competent and takes a few swings here and there.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Did MS pay for exclusivity before or after seeing the finished product? Because….yuuuuuuck
MS seems to have signed some sort of contract for this game back in 2016 (that's when Remedy said they worked on the single player) and then it went into development hell. There's no PC single player release and the game pass half single player addition seemed to be negotiated at the last minute because the contract was probably signed before game pass existed.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Does it? It hit mid 2000s and specifically targeted Asian markets, it could just as easily be a case of "right place, right time" and first mover advantage, as it is a testament to the game's quality.

How many major publishers were putting serious resources behind an Asian market focused free to play multiplayer FPS back in 2007? It released in Asian markets before Team Fortress 2 went free to play.
that could be a factor of it's time, now with far more fps are in the overseas market like how apex and Pubg are big

it made 1.2bil in 2018 but that has gone down to 257mil as of 2021 also looks like it had a lifetime total of 1 billion users in 80 countries as of 2020.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'm grateful for games like this. They remind you that making COD isn't as easy as it looks and that Vanguard is a masterpiece by comparison.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Did MS pay for exclusivity before or after seeing the finished product? Because….yuuuuuuck

When they first revealed it at the Xbox conference at E3 2019, they did it alongside the Phantasy Star announcement. So I feel like this was part of some Xbox initiative to try and bring over some games to the West that were already popular in Asia.

But given the long periods of silence about the project and complete lack of marketing I can't help but feel something weird went down behind the scenes. Maybe relationships with Smilegate soured or Xbox just weren't impressed with how it was coming together.