• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
crowbat videos seem like the antithesis of what this site is about. if yall wanna shit on devs and their work, go ahead; just know it kills the vibe of this place.
edit with replies I have already made.
Being critical with a videogame = destroying era's vibe.

Ok.
you know full well his videos have a huge slant to present the most unflattering version of a game possble. It's honestly bullshit to me. Critisizing games is one thing, creating content that actively seeks to create a skewed narrative is trash.
Definitely not one of his best. The end got me though.

Excuse me? This site is pretty much constant criticism about everything.
If most of the posters on this site acted like crowbat videos I would never return. Their videos are disingenuous, not critical. They present a bias, not a deep look. It is literally designed to be gobbled up by online forums posters who love nothing more than negativity.

Era posters aren't perfect (me included) but I tend to see people here do a better job with their criticisms and pointing out of shortcomings (outside of the occasional shit post lol) than a crowbat video does.

And just know, I am all for games and devs being criticized, but crowbats videos don't come across that way.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
crowbat videos seem like the antithesis of what this site is about. if yall wanna shit on devs and their work, go ahead; just know it kills the vibe of this place.
Not a massive fan of crowbcat videos in general, but if a game is bad I don't see that we need to be precious about it just because developers also frequent this forum. No doubt we have artists, writers, actors, film directors etc. here, too, and nobody should feel like they have to be shy about expressing their opinions on any of those artforms.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not a massive fan of crowbcat videos in general, but if a game is bad I don't see that we need to be precious about it just because developers also frequent this forum. No doubt we have artists, writers, actors, film directors etc. here, too, and nobody should feel like they have to be shy about expressing their opinions on any of those artforms.
Calling these videos criticism is a bit of an insult to actual critics that try to being nuance and discussion to the table. I don't think it's unfair to say Era sometimes revels in schadenfreude

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is the normal vibe of this place?
The developers are not stupid. They know full well when a game is half baked and not ready to be released. Stop trying to "protect" them. Blame corporate greed.

Also, you should probably stop trying to paint era as one thing or the other. This forum is not a hivemind.

Calling these videos criticism is a bit of an insult to actual critics that try to being nuance and discussion to the table. I don't think it's unfair to say Era sometimes revels in schadenfreude
" I really wanted to like Breakpoint. Ubisoft has a habit of making mediocre games – Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs – really shine with a sequel, but this is a significant step back. I would rather play Anthem – at least traversal doesn't make me want to put my head through a window in that game. "

A truly nuanced take

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
He put in a "we wuz kangz" sound clip in a segment about AC Origins.

Crowbcat is a group and they removed the racist person who put this segment back in August of 2017. This is from what I can gather as we speak.

The developers are not stupid. They know full well when a game is half baked and not ready to be released. Stop trying to "protect" them. Blame corporate greed.

Also, you should probably stop trying to paint era as one thing or the other. This forum is not a hivemind.

He simply replied to the previous post, using the same word :

If anything, the poster you quoted most likely agree with you!

Last edited:

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Being critical with a videogame = destroying era's vibe.

Ok.
you know full well his videos have a huge slant to present the most unflattering version of a game possble. It's honestly bullshit to me. Critisizing games is one thing, creating content that actively seeks to create a skewed narrative is trash.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Idk a lot of the crowbcat don't offer much in the way of useful criticism outside of "HOLY SHIT A BUG THE OLD INSTALLMENT WAS SO MUCH BETTER IN THIS ONE SPECIFIC WAY LOOK!" It's a level of basic cynicism that is super tired
It can be useful (or interesting at least) to see what's changed between entries in a series imo.

A less negative angle might be nice though. Someone make a bizarroCrowb.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
" I really wanted to like Breakpoint. Ubisoft has a habit of making mediocre games – Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs – really shine with a sequel, but this is a significant step back. I would rather play Anthem – at least traversal doesn't make me want to put my head through a window in that game. "

A truly nuanced take
I'm not sure what bolding one line out of one quote out of a full length review is supposed to tell me lol. You purposefully extracted nuance on purpose, then accused the writer of no nuance.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
On their Patreon page they confirm they're a group.

The recent Youtube updates finally reached a breaking point with us and many other videogame related channels in an attempt to force the production of more mainstream content.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It can be useful (or interesting at least) to see what's changed between entries in a series imo.

A less negative angle might be nice though. Someone make a bizarroCrowb.

Fair, I just find the takes generally pretty pedestrian. Like in this video, the main thing was that the old games had better Metacritic scores, like that's the bastion of whether a game is worth playing? Seems kinda pedestrian to me I dunno.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what bolding one line out of one quote out of a full length review is supposed to tell me lol. You purposefully extracted nuance on purpose, then accused the writer of no nuance.
What I meant is that you shouldn't glorify "video game reviewers" like it was some kind of journalistic discipline. They are opinions and not much else. They can range from think pieces to 20-minute video sketches with props like Angry Joe does. You can even say Crowbact videos are "wordless reviews" of bad videogames.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Fair, I just find the takes generally pretty pedestrian. Like in this video, the main thing was that the old games had better Metacritic scores, like that's the bastion of whether a game is worth playing? Seems kinda pedestrian to me I dunno.
Didn't even watch it but sounds dumb. Some of the other videos like 'you can shoot glass in the old game and x happens instead of y" are kind of interesting but again it's maybe a bit tiring that it's always framed as things getting worse instead of showing similar minutiae that get improved.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What I meant is that you shouldn't glorify "video game reviewers" like it was some kind of journalistic discipline. They are opinions and not much else. They can range from think pieces to 20-minute video sketches with props like Angry Joe does. You can even say Crowbact videos are "wordless reviews" of bad videogames.

We'll have to disagree, I think you're being dismissive of people who genuinely try to excel at their job, and condescending to an entuire discipline.

And no, I wouldn't call these videos wordless reviews. I'd call them comedic skits at best. And that's fine, as long as people see them through that lens.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game just looks boring, not the best target for a video.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to disagree, I think you're being dismissive of people who genuinely try to excel at their job, and condescending to an entuire discipline.

And no, I wouldn't call these videos wordless reviews. I'd call them comedic skits at best. And that's fine, as long as people see them through that lens.
What I mean is that there are "types" of reviews. I actually like Angry Joes take, for example, because he usually approaches it with a consumer perspective in mind. Is that not a review?

I also like Noah Caldwell 2 hour long-form analysis on whole series. Those are "reviews" too.

You can like one or the other, but you cant deny they are all reviews.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That first closed alpha or whatever I played was an absolute mess. I felt robbed and I didn't even pay anything. And yes before the "bUT IT's aN AlPHa"-posts: I get it, it's not the final product. But that build was so broken I was amazed it even held together.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is that there are "types" of reviews. I actually like Angry Joes take, for example, because he usually approaches it with a consumer perspective in mind. Is that not a review?

I also like Noah Caldwell 2 hour long-form analysis on whole series. Those are "reviews" too.

You can like one or the other, but you cant deny they are all reviews.
I think Angry Joe absolutely makes reviews, I never argued that. I just don't think Crowbcat does. I don't even think they position their videos as reviews. It's just a comedic video