edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Won a difficult war and immediately decided to revoke an title from one of my vassals... big mistake since then half of them turn on me, that was a difficult home battle.

Also it made me realize that my duke's and count's also have their own personal men-at-arms, so their levies can be small but they make up with those special forces.

- I always die in my early 50's regardless of my health rating. My deaths have been at 54, 54, and 53.

My current and 3 last characters easily pass the 60's.
One of those had 2 kids in his 60's and dies in the 70's.
My current king is in his 80's.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Won a difficult war and immediately decided to revoke an title from one of my vassals... big mistake since then half of them turn on me, that was a difficult home battle.

It's useful to gain hooks via the Uncover Secrets action on your Spymaster before revoking a title. Either or that or have super high opinion with the target. That way you can ensure that they'll accept your revocation without starting a civil war.

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else played the same ruler or married the same person enough to notice any patterns? I have done 3 runs as the Duke of Mercia and I am starting to notice some patterns.

- I always die in my early 50's regardless of my health rating. My deaths have been at 54, 54, and 53.

- I have married Williams Daughter Cecelia everytime and each time she has developed some kind of problem. She has been a drunkard, a deviant, or an adulterer.

- I always have almost nothing but daughters. In 3 runs I have had 16 kids. Only 2 of them were boys. And both died young.

- The HRE always collapses within about 30 years or so.

- William always seems to die between the ages of 60 and 65. His deaths have been at 63, 61, and 64.

After playing CK2 I kinda expected a bit more randomness to be going on. It seems like some things have trends depending on who you play, when you play, and who you marry.
Did you load your original save on each start or did you start a fresh game? If you did start a fresh seed on each game it sounds somewhat pre-baked but it could just be the starting parameters are always gonna lead to some similarity?

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's useful to gain hooks via the Uncover Secrets action on your Spymaster before revoking a title. Either or that or have super high opinion with the target. That way you can ensure that they'll accept your revocation without starting a civil war.

Yeah i got cocky, i thought they couldn't do shit to me lol so i didn't care to even raise the opinion.
But when half them turn on you and they have their own private armies and you army still regenerating things aren't so easy, they would probably beat me if they had one or two more vassals.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Other things that are bugging me

Not being able to control my grandkids marriages.
The landed women in my family marrying down and not forcing a matrilineal marriage.
Asking people to your court is nearly impossible. I've never seen it be an option without a hook. Hey sis, instead of living in bumfuck nowhere, come to my kingdom and i'll give you a castle, but no.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Other things that are bugging me

Not being able to control my grandkids marriages.
The landed women in my family marrying down and not forcing a matrilineal marriage.
Asking people to your court is nearly impossible. I've never seen it be an option without a hook. Hey sis, instead of living in bumfuck nowhere, come to my kingdom and i'll give you a castle, but no.

Yep yep and yep lol the worse is the marriage stuff, i have 2 vassal house that i been nurturing for a long time and if they heir is female they never marry matrilineal.
I have to go and marry them myself to keep the line going, which is a pain in the ass since you can only even marry them to people in your own court and not the big list.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My current and 3 last characters easily pass the 60's.
One of those had 2 kids in his 60's and dies in the 70's.
My current king is in his 80's.
No I know the age range varies wildly. My Matilda of Tuscany survived into her 60's. I'm just saying that for whatever reason the Duke of Mercia keeps dying at around the same age everytime I play him and he always has daughters.

It's just a strange trend that I have noticed with him.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Did you load your original save on each start or did you start a fresh game? If you did start a fresh seed on each game it sounds somewhat pre-baked but it could just be the starting parameters are always gonna lead to some similarity?
It was a fresh start everytime. Different decisions too. The only things that stayed the same was my ruler and my wife.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
No I know the age range varies wildly. My Matilda of Tuscany survived into her 60's. I'm just saying that for whatever reason the Duke of Mercia keeps dying at around the same age everytime I play him and he always has daughters.

It's just a strange trend that I have noticed with him.

Next time try and have all the health boost you can find and see if it changes anything.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
So the roughest part of the game seems to be when you're not quite big enough for an empire, but big enough for multiple kingdoms. Every new generation is a rush to get your old kingdom back from your brother before he can get established.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Just became King of Ireland, died, my good stat eldest son takes over and low and behold everyone hates him AND his brother. The younger brother had plotted to kill the heir, got caught. Then, figuring I was close to death at the ripe age of 68, I let it ride figuring older brother can put him in line after he takes over or just go to war, but no, older brother (heir) tries to have him killed too while I'm still ruling! So he takes over and literally everyone on the counsel and court hates both of them. I've got another eight years until the -70 stat burns off. I've got a spy master with 27 intrigue who I need to turn around in a hurry.

Also, Scotland and England are pretty massive by the time you can bring Ireland into a Kingdom. Scottland holds a county on my land, so I can declare war, but the military strength is like double mine. I got an alliance with France, but I wish there was a way to call up those allies before the war declaration. Going to take them a while to show up once I hit go. Am I missing something there?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
So uh I was having a war against Östergötland and Scotland and suddenly got an event, something about me fighting the Scots at many occasions and me being a good Catholic and something about St. George, and suddenly my war was invalidated and I just simply was given all of England?

I'm not gonna complain lol, but why did that happen? My high faith rank? I'm Paragon of Virtue currently, and I didnt really try for it.
My comeback is complete, I assassinated the Scottish king and the new king afterwards for good measure. Their levies were getting miniscule, so I declared a Holy War for the whole Scottish Kingdom and won it by rushing to their capital and capturing their king immediately.

I like how losing a lot of land isnt the end of it in this game. There are many avenues to weaken your enemies besides war.

Jun 13, 2020
Does it feel like tyranny is not as much of a big deal here? In CK2 having even a little bit of tyranny would guarantee a powerful vassal faction, which would fuck you up immediately.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Well stopping for the night after a really clutch war.

I'm a Duke, who could easily be a double Duke, but have partition so I've been avoiding it so I dont just lose it on succession. I'm Duke of Thaton. I have a weak duke neighbor I dont remember the name of, and then Candras and Pagan both about my strength near me. Well, I had declared war on Pagan, and took a county, getting me to 9 of the 12 I need (along with finally taking another duchy) to form the Kingdom.

Unfortunately, right after my war ends, Candras declares war on Pagan, but for the duchy title. I do NOT need that on my border. I have no claims on Candras apparently, but I have the Learning perk that let's me buy claims with piety.

I have 35 learning and like 3500 piety, roughly aiming for either a new religion or a holy order if I make it to the Kingdom. So I spend 250 or whatever to get a claim on one of Candras' counties and declare war while I still have mercs under contract.

Well, before I can settle my war with Candras, he wins against Pagan and becomes double duke... but his army is pretty depleted still and I catch him in battle.... and he does of his wounds :)

He also has partition succession, so the duchies break up again, both far weaker than before, and I just need 2 more counties and some gold to found my kingdom. Unfortunately i currently have negative eight hundred prestige or so, so it'll be awhile before I can do much there.

Any prestige gaining tips?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm new to the game, so like others i'm not entirely sure what i'm doing.

I am however having lots of fun. Managed to expand my realm, made some allies through marriage and I've been in a 10 year war with some tricky people from the north which seems to be a stale mate at this stage as we both have allies that have been in and out battles over this time and neither of us seem fully committed into taking huge losses, my king is an evil SOB so i'm too proud to end this though diplomatic methods.

My character has had lots of children with a decent heir and my spouse seems to love me dearly which is good, and although confusing I've made tweaks to my council which seems to be strong.

Last edited:

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ, my current game is cursed.

King was murdered. Probably by the queen, who was into incest.

Next game, 18 years old, murdered within a year.

Next game, I'm a toddler. Seems to be going well so far, won a civil war that was started immediately, and I lived longer than the last guy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know of a mod that fixes the combat system? I am sick and tired of spending a year chasing my enemies army around my own fucking lands while sitting at 90% victory percentage. Not to mention the fact that my "allies" aren't even able to properly help me most of the time.

I love this game so much and almost everything about it is exactly what I want from a game, but the combat system in this game is so unbelievably unintuitive and terrible. The AI for allies borders on stupidity meanwhile the AI for enemies makes them into geniuses even if the numbers arent in their favor. I have watched my allies armies walk past my army losing a battle what feels like a hundred times now. Also I am getting sick of defeating an enemy's army and watching them retreat away while still having a substantial number of soldiers meanwhile whenever I lose a battle my entire army is gone despite having similar numbers and in some cases even having superior quality. Its just so ridiculous.

Its just so frustrating to have such a great game dragged down into the dirt because one of its main focuses is so frustrating and terrible.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Something i still can't figure out. I have 2 kingdoms in my realm, i want my primary heir to inherit both so my realm arent split up. How do i do that? Currently 2 sons will inherit them so it'll split up.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Something i still can't figure out. I have 2 kingdoms in my realm, i want my primary heir to inherit both so my realm arent split up. How do i do that? Currently 2 sons will inherit them so it'll split up.
You want to pass primogeniture as your succession law. If you don't have accesses to that then there is a mod in the workshop for it that lets you pass it no matter what.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

As above, primogeniture is the "official" way.

If you can't, there should always be the option to disinherit one of them.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
The game system are very interesting, but the game is veeeery unbalanced in certain aspects:

• naval transports are way too cheap and the AI tend to use them too much. Wars are basically a race to see who can siege the other's capital first.
  • heresies are too common and too strong
  • some lifestyles are way too OP. The first perk in Avaricious is a basically a bank. You can ask money at rate of 100 ducats every time for simple hooks, with not even a opinion malus
  • automatic alliances are stupid, especially if there is a "too many alliances" opinion malus.

Also, I miss secret religions, but I guess they'll arrive with a Secret Societies DLC.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
You want to pass primogeniture as your succession law. If you don't have accesses to that then there is a mod in the workshop for it that lets you pass it no matter what.

I play on iron man so can't use mods then. Also it is late medieval times they can research that "tech" it is not available for me. Disinherit seems to work, cost lots of prestige points tho.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed I have a very high chance of seducing and romancing my eldest daughter, who is also the queen of the Byzantine Empire, and I'm still deciding if it is a bad idea or a huge terrible mistake.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
pro tip: force your powerful vassals that hate you into being knights. Great way to get rid of them.

Yup, crusades are nice for that even.

Yesterday, i gave money to avoid going to a crusade but my king died just after and the game took it as if my heir HAD to send troops. And as a new heir, there was, as most of the time, some vassals who wanted me dead. So i forced the unhappy to be knights, made sure the worst of them was in command of the army, and send my measly 2000 troops to die in a 20k blob. Poof, no more unhappy vassals (well, i still got some, but different ones). And since nobody in the kingdom had levies to raise anymore due to the curb stomp in Jerusalem, i had time to appease everyone while waiting for the troops to replenish.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of obsessed with this game. I tried CK2 some times and I had some fun with it, but one week in and I feel like I get the game. It clicked. I can do anything I want, whenever anything goes wrong I know exactly why, if I want to go to war to someone I know exactly what I am lacking and how to acquire more of it.
So, as I said, I played some CK2, but I feel for the first time I am PLAYING Crusader Kings.

Like, I am making long term plans and shit. It feels like when I learned how to ride a bike after being a grown ass man.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019
I am kind of obsessed with this game. I tried CK2 some times and I had some fun with it, but one week in and I feel like I get the game. It clicked. I can do anything I want, whenever anything goes wrong I know exactly why, if I want to go to war to someone I know exactly what I am lacking and how to acquire more of it.
So, as I said, I played some CK2, but I feel for the first time I am PLAYING Crusader Kings.

Like, I am making long term plans and shit. It feels like when I learned how to ride a bike after being a grown ass man.

Yup, nothing more satisfying than seeing the pieces of the puzzle fall into place in a long-term plan - until the final piece turns out to be a five year old disfigured leper, that is.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
So now Harald Hårfagre is dead at the age of 68. Managed to unite all of mainland Norway which is decent. Luckily my heir Magnus is a great diplomat and it seems the realm will remain stable for his tenure at least. So far he has only one son as well so it seems the new heir apparent is looking to get back the counties in the main duchy which was sadly lost when the last son was born. For the longest time it looked really good with the partioning between the two sons. Indeed the murder of my twins seemed a blessing in disguise. Oh well, heres hoping that Rurik dies childless.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
By the way, i noticed something, starting named npcs that are not "set" rulers are all fully random in their traits.

Like, in my first run with the King of Brittany in 839 (or whatever the exact date is), with wich i almost immediately ended up playing his grandson due to some "unexpected events", said grand-son was a shy nice guy with like 3 martial and 20 stewardship from the get go. I started a new game at the same period, the same grand son, while still having the same name and face, is now a sadistic zealot full-on warrior.

Even more replayablilty potential then.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
I have 2 kingdoms in my realm, i want my primary heir to inherit both so my realm arent split up.

You can also destroy one of the two kingdom titles, which will ensure that all your other heirs will end up as vassals under the primary heir. It costs 800 Prestige to destroy a kingdom title, but it might be worth it to avoid having to go to war immediately after succession.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So i have 3 sons 1 of them has the kigdom of leon, while the others have counties spread around spain. I wanted to get the full parts of aragon and valencia before my king dies (he is in his 50s but with good health) but i ssuppose that would make them duchies and i will lose the control of them right? I just want the brothers to be vassals to my future king, instead of happening like last time why my brother took the kingdome of castille from me and i only kept leon.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So i have 3 sons 1 of them has the kigdom of leon, while the others have counties spread around spain. I wanted to get the full parts of aragon and valencia before my king dies (he is in his 50s but with good health) but i ssuppose that would make them duchies and i will lose the control of them right? I just want the brothers to be vassals to my future king, instead of happening like last time why my brother took the kingdome of castille from me and i only kept leon.
They will get a kingdom title and become independant with their land, so it is gonna be even worse (you cannot have someone as vassal that is at your same lvl).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They will get a kingdom title and become independant with their land, so it is gonna be even worse (you cannot have someone as vassal that is at your same lvl).
So its better to wait conquering more land and just let them get simple counties (all their titles they will inherit have bronce crown only, while my heir get the stuff with gold and silver crowns right now), or do you mean the counties they have now will turn into kingdoms?
The game really punishes you not going in a killing spree against your bothers until you get the only 1 heir inherits all thing. And I hate that becuase I have a good firenship with them and not a fan of going killing if its not necessary or someone pisses me off.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So its better to wait conquering more land and just let them get simple counties (all their titles they will inherit have bronce crown only, while my heir get the stuff with gold and silver crowns right now), or do you mean the counties they have now will turn into kingdoms?
The game really punishes you not going in a killing spree against your bothers until you get the only 1 heir inherits all thing. And I hate that becuase I have a good firenship with them and not a fan of going killing if its not necessary or someone pisses me off.
Just look in successions (go to the realm view by pressing F2 -> rightmost tab ) and you will see what they get.

Your brothers will create a kingdom title if possible and (because its the highmost tier) become independant. Normally the AI tries to give them the kingdom title of the land they are in, to avoid bordergore, but it is not always possible.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
A clutch save by the Duchy of Angria for me kept Wales from gobbling up even more of my territory, arriving just on time to stop my 2400 army getting stepped on by Wale's dumb Italian/Southern Gaul allies, and I managed to murder their king at the same time so now his hideously inbred daughter is their ruler. Everybody knows I did it but what the hell, we were at war, I don't care. Now to wait out the truce, push them back out of Ireland proper, and I'll... be right back where I started.

My wife is in control of Scotland tho and my tyke will inherit when she carks it, but seems like she is stuck in endless wars with Norway, the Isles, England and her own vassels rising up against her, so when I take Scotland I bet that will be a headache too...

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Can you have a harem? Asking for a friend

Yes.
Some religions allow one spouse + 3 concubines.
A concubine is just there to procreate. You can romance them and not be considered cheating, which is nice, but they are usually something like "hey, I went to war and brought women", so, you know, ehhh

You can also have poligamy with up to 4 spouses.
And messing with religion stuff, you can do equality too, so I once have the empress of Scandinavia and her 3 husbands, which was nice.
-
This makes me think I don't really know how homossexuality works in this game. You can have an homossexual partner (spouse or concubine) of the other genre and it will produce babies, but you can't seduce or romance them.
You can change the religion to allow total acceptance of homossexuality, but I never had the chance to test if gay marriage is a thing.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Try starting from the earliest age in Scandinavia (Norway/Sweden/etc), as Tribal governments seem a bit easy to play as a warring realm. Tribal Governments use prestige to maintain an army and don't have any holdings, making it easy to manage the game.
- Start a single/dual county Lord/Lady
- Mostly with broken counties nearby to capture
- Marry to a good Spouse
-- Put Spouse on Assist Ruler (council screen)
- Marry off your heir (If any) to good spouse
- Recruit Men-at-Arms units (2-3 should do good, at level 2/3)
-- Probably need to wait before a war to finish completely recruiting Men-at-Arms units
- Forbid valuable council members into Armies as Knight if possible, else they can get killed early game
- Get more Knights

- You want to expand, check De Jure map information to find out under which De Jure Duchy does your county belong too (you probably can find this from county screen)
- Aim to get the requirement (holding X counties to create Duchy title)
-- Wage war on other neighbor county to capture it under your name (don't give away counties to vassals until you are one level above them)
- Create Duchy title
-- Give away counties you don't want and cannot hold (due to limit) to/as vassals

- Now you probably want a bit of gold
- Raise raiding armies
-- Send them to England or Northern France
- Upgrade you personally held counties with the building which g

- Aim to create a Kingdom title by checking De Jure information
-- Wage wars for more Duchies/Counties to fullfil the requirements for a Kingdom Title

- Then Emperor?

Wow, thanks a lot! This kind of to-do list might be just what I need to get into the flow.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just look in successions (go to the realm view by pressing F2 -> rightmost tab ) and you will see what they get.

Your brothers will create a kingdom title if possible and (because its the highmost tier) become independant. Normally the AI tries to give them the kingdom title of the land they are in, to avoid bordergore, but it is not always possible.
In the succession shields they get, they are all bronze (I suppose those are counties, with silver being duchies right?) and not enought to make a whole duchie from them. Still is the CPU going to force those counties turn their own small kingdoms, independent counties that i will need to win by force again or just simply are still gonna be in control by me, but ruled by my brothers. As I read you can detroy titles, I thought that if your brothers only get small counties means they are still under your control and they turn into your power vassals.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
In the succession shields they get, they are all bronze (I suppose those are counties, with silver being duchies right?) and not enought to make a whole duchie from them. Still is the CPU going to force those counties turn their own small kingdoms, independent counties that i will need to win by force again or just simply are still gonna be in control by me, but ruled by my brothers. As I read you can detroy titles, I thought that if your brothers only get small counties means they are still under your control and they turn into your power vassals.
If you are still on the original succession law, the AI will create all kingdom titles it can (aka, you have enouhg land) if you have more than 1 son.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
If you are still on the original succession law, the AI will create all kingdom titles it can (aka, you have enouhg land) if you have more than 1 son.

The Kingdom of Leon in 1066 should start with Partition rather than Confederate Partition (which Tribal rulers are stuck with and is the most common form in 867). The big difference there is that Confederate Partition will create new titles if possible, while Partition will not.

So with the two non-Confederate types of Partition, it's possible to keep the realm together simply by destroying all but one top-level (in this case, Kingdom) title.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Kingdom of Leon in 1066 should start with Partition rather than Confederate Partition (which Tribal rulers are stuck with and is the most common form in 867). The big difference there is that Confederate Partition will create new titles if possible, while Partition will not.

So with the two non-Confederate types of Partition, it's possible to keep the realm together simply by destroying all but one top-level (in this case, Kingdom) title.
Oh didnt see he had just Partition and not Confederate Partition. You are right on that.

But if he is playing as Leon in that start, he also has the posibility to take a decision that will unify all kingdoms he owns in Iberia into 1 (and get "Father of Spain" title).