• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

home

Oct 25, 2017
Storybook Brawl is a smaller free-to-play card autobattler ala hearthstone battlegrounds, currently in early access on steam. Like Hearthstone BG, you can buy access to heroes and skins using real dollars. On Tuesday they announced that the entire company and game was being purchased by FTX, a cryptocurrency exchange, and they plan on jamming NFTs into the game. They released a press release here: https://sbbwebsite.netlify.app/articles/sbbnewsftxannouncement/ where they don't actually outline what their plans for NFTs are, but insist it will be "ethical, and fun".

Furthermore, one of the developers later state that it won't just be cosmetics, but they are unable to tell players what that means:

IMG_3607.png
IMG_3608.png

Predictably, players (myself included) are not happy, and subreddit comments and steam reviews reflect that (prior to the announcement, the game was rated very positive):

ShlCOV5.png

Many folks on reddit/twitter saying they are done with the game, and the subreddit mods resigned in protest:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StorybookBrawl/comments/tk8tgm/ftx_acquires_storybook_brawl/

7mR6guV.png

I don't have a lot to add, and this post was just to shine a light on well, more NFT bullshit. It sucks to see another promising game head in this direction, and it feels a lot like the Ubisoft Wildlands NFTs, in that the game has no use for them (there is no in game trading/selling economy, just there heroes you buy from them directly). The creators are 'big' names from the Magic: The Gathering competitive scene, and had goodwill due to that, but I guess they got the bag, so hey good for them.

I am completely against it, but there is a more neutral article here that is a bit more favourable to crypto, if that's your thing.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Ok, I've got a plan. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we're going to be the developers that announce NFTs and not burn every ounce of goodwill we had earned prior. You got the tweets ready? Ok, let's give the people what they don't want. Show time!

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
So are they gonna remove the game from Steam? IIRC Steam doesn't allow NFT games on the platform.

It sucks for players who like it and already spent some MTX in the game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've got a plan. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we're going to be the developers that announce NFTs and not burn every ounce of goodwill we had earned prior. You got the tweets ready? Ok, let's give the people what they don't want. Show time!
Lol. Its like clockwork.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
FTX had to know this wouldn't go over well, so why buy the rights to the game in the first place? Talk about a stupid use of money.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't get it. Why do these people keep trying to make nfts a thing? Don't they see how much the community detests them?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
FTX had to know this wouldn't go over well, so why buy the rights to the game in the first place? Talk about a stupid use of money.
they probably know they aren't going to win over an audience with a brand new title, so the best they can manage at this point is to try and force their way into existing ecosystems

it's a loss for them, but it's all about appearances

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
The same vague nonsense as usual when it comes to the actual point of all this, ie "We are exploring many things, if we find something we will tell you!".

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not fucking this. Nastily freaking timed note for teams nailing functionality. Terrible news for them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
they're not trying to make nfts a thing, they're trying to get in, scam some suckers, and get out.
I really wonder how much they paid to take over the company and how much they'll make when it's all said and done. Like how lucrative is this business model?

Thicc Anomaly

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2021
I really don't get the NFT/Crypto hate here. Someone please inform me.

Fyi: I invest in both myself and it's how I've been able to afford a lot of things I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (with Crypto) so as an investor, I'm trying to understand this angle I see here a lot.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Fyi: I invest in both myself and it's how I've been able to afford a lot of things I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (with Crypto) so as an investor, I'm trying to understand this angle I see here a lot.
What nft did you buy and how much did you sell it for? Can you prove it?

Thicc Anomaly

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2021
What nft did you buy and how much did you sell it for? Can you prove it?
Can I prove that I made an NFT purchase? Yes. I haven't sold any of my NFTs, part of the game is holding onto them until they reach a desired value, just like crypto. I'm not sure if your reply was genuine or sarcastic though because it was a silly question tbh

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can I prove that I made an NFT purchase? Yes. I haven't sold any of my NFTs, part of the game is holding onto them until they reach a desired value, just like crypto. I'm not sure if your reply was genuine or sarcastic though because it was a silly question tbh
It's not silly as you just proved my point. You're "investing" because someone made you believe it'll hold any value or that you can sell it for profit. I highly doubt whatever you purchased will make you rich. But hey that's the dream they sold you right?

Sep 14, 2018

NFTs are a scam. You're welcome.
By the way, it's not just 'here' people hate on NFTs, as an investor you might want to look into why it's proponents all just happen to have a monetary stake.

Thicc Anomaly

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2021
It's not silly as you just proved my point. You're "investing" because someone made you believe it'll hold any value or that you can sell it for profit. I highly doubt whatever you purchased will make you rich. But hey that's the dream they sold you right?
Lol rich is subjective but I'm not goin to disclose how much I've made from Crypto. As I said before, I've been able to afford things I haven't been able to otherwise. As with any type of investments, there are risks and I'm willing to continue taken on risks if it means that it'll pay off (and it has) to the point where I no longer have to work the rest of my life. I see a lot of hate towards Crypto/NFT here so I gotta ask, are any of you investors? Or do you strictly dislike it because it has invaded the gaming market?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

Minimal oversight and regulation. High amounts of scams. Crypto has absolutely no use cases at the moment. The entire system is built around early investors making money off of later investors. This starts a cycle where each new group of people needs to push and bring more folks in so they can break even or barely lose money. Some people win big, just like the lottery, which brings desperate people in, looking for their shot. "People made tons of money off of this; is this new crypto my golden ticket?" Cult like mentalities are used to break people down and regular folks suffer because of it, losing their savings.

People would be better off investing in all of the much more safe investment avenues. With actual oversight and regulation. The amount of people that CAN make money off of crypto is capped, and requires other people to lose money.

I really wonder how much they paid to take over the company and how much they'll make when it's all said and done. Like how lucrative is this business model?

I doubt they paid much. But NFTs are essentially "free money" in a lot of cases with how little effort is put into them. So if you get so many people to buy, you've already made tons in a short time. These people can get millions in a short time, and just do what they want with it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lol rich is subjective but I'm not goin to disclose how much I've made from Crypto. As I said before, I've been able to afford things I haven't been able to otherwise. As with any type of investments, there are risks and I'm willing to continue taken on risks if it means that it'll pay off (and it has) to the point where I no longer have to work the rest of my life. I see a lot of hate towards Crypto/NFT here so I gotta ask, are any of you investors? Or do you strictly dislike it because it has invaded the gaming market?
I'm not asking about the crypto, just specifically the nft side of things. And no, I never put any money into crypto or nfts.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you're not an investor you're a gambler who's ahead right now.

what are you putting your money towards, what is being produced? your just betting a number goes up it's tethered to nothing

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
would anyone like to buy my apes

chayka-boredapeclub.jpg

one million dollars flat fee

pls don't right click thanks

Thicc Anomaly

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2021
I'm not asking about the crypto, just specifically the nft side of things. And no, I never put any money into crypto or nfts.
I've stated I haven't sold any of my NFTs. Their value has gone up since it's original purchase but I'm patient enough to wait it out more for a bigger payout. It's quite similar to crypto in that regard.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what about investing in the stock market, is a form of gambling as well or is that different?
stocks invest your money in a company that does something. you buy disney stock that money goes to the company that funds the company you get equity. (at least in an IPO)

crypto doesn't get you anything but the chance to rip off someone else and potentially make a profit off passing the hot potato. what equity and thing do you actually own besides 0s and 1s which have no value.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've stated I haven't sold any of my NFTs. Their value has gone up since it's original purchase but I'm patient enough to wait it out more for a bigger payout. It's quite similar to crypto in that regard.
How did your nfts value go up if you haven't sold it? Are you just saying that it's up because the Ethereum happens to be up at the moment?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
But what about investing in the stock market, is that a form of gambling as well or is that different?

The stock market can be a gamble, as anything can happen, but it's not gambling in that it's not just a game of chance. There are laws, regulations. Companies have to release information for stockholders to make future decisions on. Success, sales numbers, all kinds of different forms of information are available for you to make decisions with. Nevermind dividends and such.

Here's a question: What can you tie the success of a crypto to? Companies release products. They give numbers that show how profitable, or not profitable they are. How do you know what is increasing the value of your crypto? What is the value of the crypto tied to? My burger shop sells more burgers. My burger shop increases in value.

If Crypto is a currency, what is it tied to? A USD is tied in to the entire economy of the US. Its value comes from industry, from products, from value. What is a Crypto tied to?

fronn

Oct 27, 2017
... Or do you strictly dislike it because it has invaded the gaming market?
They (crypto/nfts) are bad because a fully realized version of what they offer would be bad - the world it's trying to create would not be a pleasant one to live in, so legitimizing it is bad. NFTs are particularly stupid at this point because they dont offer anything of value and every nft available looks indistinguishable from people investing in beanie babies. Crypto/NFTs are a solution still desperately looking for a problem.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
stocks invest your money in a company that does something. you buy disney stock that money goes to the company that funds the company you get equity. (at least in an IPO)

crypto doesn't get you anything but the chance to rip off someone else and potentially make a profit off passing the hot potato. what equity and thing do you actually own besides 0s and 1s which have no value.
Unless they come with some utility like dividends or voting rights stocks aren't all that different. Some donates some money to a company in the hopes that someone will buy the receipt off of them despite the fact that it doesn't *do* anything.

fronn

Oct 27, 2017
Pointing out that the stock market is also a fake gambling ring isn't a defense of crypto/nfts. The solution to something that sucks isn't to build a worse version of the thing that sucks.

Sep 14, 2018
Wow! No longer have to work for the rest of my life cause of NFTs?!1 Where do I sign over my life savings?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they come with some utility like dividends or voting rights stocks aren't all that different. Some donates some money to a company in the hopes that someone will buy the receipt off of them despite the fact that it doesn't *do* anything.

Stocks are tied to products. Crypto is not tied in to products, and anytime it is, it's literally just to create more of itself. Some part of crypto value literally comes from what it take to create and validate it. "This is worth money because creating a new version of this currency takes an immense amount of power."

Even scam commodities like diamonds have actual uses in real world products.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea practically you can't do anything because your small but you do have equity. NFT and crypto are completely different on a conceptual level.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Card games are actually a pretty good candidate for NFTs if you're trying to approximate the real world TCG market. I'm not really sure how successful they will be given that all the digital games have strayed away from trying to do that, even MtG.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Card games are actually a pretty good candidate for NFTs if you're trying to approximate the real world TCG market. I'm not really sure how successful they will be given that all the digital games have strayed away from trying to do that, even MtG.
Artifact tried to do the tcg esque monetization model and ended up failing because nobody liked its monetization.

As to why people hate NFT's in game discussion thats going on, its because nfts are an incredibly obvious scam to everyone except those who buy into them, and the monetization of games right now is at the edge of whats considered acceptable before people start to quit, and adding nfts to that fucks up the ecobomy and monetization that the game is way too focused on monetization to actually be good.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
OH FUCK. I've been addicted to this game for months, 138 hours played and I'm crushed.

Uninstalled :(

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Artifact tried to do the tcg esque monetization model and ended up failing because nobody liked its monetization.

Honestly, I think the bigger issue is just that no one liked Artifact. For some reason, every response to Hearthstone was "OK, let's make a more complicated TCG, instead of an easier to digest, easier to pick up and play game."

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Stupidity on a level that is physically painful.

Yet there will be stooges that come in here and defend it.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Pointing out that the stock market is also a fake gambling ring isn't a defense of crypto/nfts. The solution to something that sucks isn't to build a worse version of the thing that sucks.
Honestly crypto bros attempts to deradicalise me against crypto by pointing out similarities to stocks has just radicalised me against stocks *shrug*