Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you as always for your analysis Brandson , I was monitoring BTC closely yesterday and it did move very similar to your previous prediction on here.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you learn to read they market so well? Is it just built up over years of experience or do you work with probabilitys, charts, etc.

I'm not a professional trader. I self-taught myself after getting into crypto. I did lots of reading, studying Bitcoin and Ethereum charts both live and historical, building various models then testing and either refining or scrapping them, then starting to make and write down my calls in real-time and see what I got right and wrong and refining some more. I also look at calls from other market watchers who I respect, to determine how confident I should feel about what I'm thinking. If a number of those people think that more or less the same thing is going to happen as I do, especially if they think that for different reasons, then I'm a lot more confident. It's easier to get daily movements right, than predictions weeks or months in advance.

One of the best pieces of advice I came across was to not be married to an older prediction if the market signals shift. Predictions get invalidated all the time. You roll with it, refine, and move on.

Another good one is to not be too greedy. If you see everyone saying the price is going to go to X, it will often fall short of that target. It doesn't mean they were wrong. My bias is always to hold ETH unless I think it's in real danger of a significant fall. If I manage to sell before the fall, I have learned not to try to maximize the buy back point, especially if the fall is violent. So I tend to buy back in a little early. I have never once regretted doing that so far.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this bubble has to burst right? The other day I saw a news article about a couple dumping their life savings into pc hardware to mine.

Average joes getting involved is the first sign of the apocolypse.

Thanks for the heads up. But why would you transfer all your funds from your ledger to this wallet? With the ledger the seed never leaves the device. With this wallet the seed will be displayed on your mobile screen which is connected to the Internet...

With the ledger you can only store 4-5 coins. You need to delete/reinstall to juggle more.

The enjin wallet seems more seamless to me.

It doesn't have my waifu Vechain either, but coins will be added in the future. It seems most of the coins based on ether are there.

Last edited:

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Good ol' DNA. Consistently staying around 7k-8k sats after the recent pump to 13k. Before that, it was consistently around 3k sats.

nonuser

Oct 27, 2017
All of those coins (I've had XBY for a while) seem like long-term HODLs. There's going to be bad days/weeks.

Yup. Also, it's unrealistic to expect things to jump up all the time. If you look at past graphs, there have been long stretches (months) where it's either slowly going up or going sideways.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was getting started in all this stuff I must have signed up with something like 6 different sites, trying to get in. I've since boiled it down to 3 - Quadriga as the entrypoint/exit, Binance for most alt coins, and Cryptopia for smaller-time coins.

Thanks!

I was a member on CAVirtex which got bought out by Kraken. All my info and verification transfered (was sold) over to Kraken. I have used them only to cash out canadian dollars. Their site sucks ass to trade on in my opinion. Only a means to get in and out of FIAT.

Kraken, Coinbase, Quadriga are the ones you should stick to. I wouldn't touch any other exchange when dealing with FIAT. As for actual trading in crypto I like Binance and it is insane how quickly they have become the number #1 exchange.

Never heard of kraken. I'll look into them. If I get verified on quad, is there any reason to use kraken? Is there any benefit to them? Thanks for the help. I checked out binance and instantly got overwhelmed. Coinbase was super simple. Binance looks overwhelming. Really want to learn though.

Quadrigacx seems to be the best when you want to cash out. Some people also use coinsquare. When you do eventually cash out you can just check to see which one has higher price of the coin you want to convert.

Be careful with day trading. CRA might consider it as a type of "business" you are running and there's all kind of tax implications on it so just be aware.

In terms of good exchanges to buy, I was using quadrigacx but they have since halted EFT transfers as well as Interac E transfers.

Only real solid method with them is Interac debit card. I can't do it because mine is a debit/visa combo. You need the debit card that has 13 digits.

I've since tried coinsquare and coinbase to buy my BTC/ETH to use for buying alt coins. Coinsquare charges something like 5% but they let you use debit/CC. Also when you are starting out they limit you to something like 100 bucks per transfer so that kind of sucks.

Coinbase charges 5% as well but let's you do 250/week. Also they charge insane fees to withdraw your coins and transfer to a crypto exchange... They have another site you can send it to called GDAX which then let's you transfer to your exchange for free, but the verification process to do that is offline right now, or at least it was couple hours ago.

Thanks!!

What do you mean be careful with day trading? How would the government know what I do with my bitcoins? All they should see is the cash out, right?

In my mind, and tell me if I'm wrong, it works like this. I transfer some bitcoin from coinbase to binance. Use bitcoin to buy some other coins, sell coins for bitcoin, etc etc. Then I take the bitcoin that I earned or whats left, and transfer it to quadriga. How would the cra know what I was doing in that time?

Can I do something like that? Does that work?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean be careful with day trading? How would the government know what I do with my bitcoins? All they should see is the cash out, right?

In my mind, and tell me if I'm wrong, it works like this. I transfer some bitcoin from coinbase to binance. Use bitcoin to buy some other coins, sell coins for bitcoin, etc etc. Then I take the bitcoin that I earned or whats left, and transfer it to quadriga. How would the cra know what I was doing in that time?

You're gonna get audited.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I will copy paste what's been written on the personal finance Canada sub reddit regarding taxes on crypto currency gains.

Generally, buy and hold would be considered capital - similar to investors who buy and hold stock and report capital gains. It could also be considered business income where the activity is considered to be similar running a business. High volume traders, those who hold a particular crypto for only a very small period of time, etc. might need to consider if their activities appear to constitute a business. Again, see IT-479R for information about whether it is income or capital in nature. I have cut out the most relevant paragraph below:

Specifically, this paragraph:

1. Some of the factors to be considered in ascertaining whether the taxpayer's course of conduct indicates the carrying on of a business are as follows:
(a) frequency of transactions - a history of extensive buying and selling of securities or of a quick turnover of properties,

(b) period of ownership - securities are usually owned only for a short period of time,

(c) knowledge of securities markets - the taxpayer has some knowledge of or experience in the securities markets,

(d) security transactions form a part of a taxpayer's ordinary business,

(e) time spent - a substantial part of the taxpayer's time is spent studying the securities markets and investigating potential purchases,

(f) financing - security purchases are financed primarily on margin or by some other form of debt,

(g) advertising - the taxpayer has advertised or otherwise made it known that he is willing to purchase securities, and

(h) in the case of shares, their nature - normally speculative in nature or of a non-dividend type.

Generally speaking a "buy and hold" crypto investor will be reporting capital gains. Generally speaking a high volume trader who moves between cryptos and cash frequently, and spends a lot of their time doing this and researching this MAY need to consider reporting their gains as business income.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Never heard of kraken. I'll look into them. If I get verified on quad, is there any reason to use kraken? Is there any benefit to them? Thanks for the help. I checked out binance and instantly got overwhelmed. Coinbase was super simple. Binance looks overwhelming. Really want to learn though.

Thanks!!

If you buy 0.5 BTC and cash out 5 BTC you're fucked in an audit.

rando

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a professional trader. I self-taught myself after getting into crypto. I did lots of reading, studying Bitcoin and Ethereum charts both live and historical, building various models then testing and either refining or scrapping them, then starting to make and write down my calls in real-time and see what I got right and wrong and refining some more. I also look at calls from other market watchers who I respect, to determine how confident I should feel about what I'm thinking. If a number of those people think that more or less the same thing is going to happen as I do, especially if they think that for different reasons, then I'm a lot more confident. It's easier to get daily movements right, than predictions weeks or months in advance.

One of the best pieces of advice I came across was to not be married to an older prediction if the market signals shift. Predictions get invalidated all the time. You roll with it, refine, and move on.

Another good one is to not be too greedy. If you see everyone saying the price is going to go to X, it will often fall short of that target. It doesn't mean they were wrong. My bias is always to hold ETH unless I think it's in real danger of a significant fall. If I manage to sell before the fall, I have learned not to try to maximize the buy back point, especially if the fall is violent. So I tend to buy back in a little early. I have never once regretted doing that so far.

Thanks for sharing!!

nonuser

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Very much this.

Now I also have a question for anyone who knows. What if you had 1.0 BTC and were "gifted" 2.0 BTC? Would you be taxed on the "gifted" BTC?

Gift taxes exist as well, at least in the USA. 2 BTC (at least in today's worth) would already set you above the 14k exemption.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It appears the gift tax is for the giver as well......this is all hypothetical of course.

;)

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly IMO when it comes to taxes you're playing with Fire. Just do the best you can with estimates is loads better than not reporting or trying to report it as gifts.

There is no statutes of limitation when it comes to tax evasion.

Just be smart.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Im currently buying ETH from coinbase for the lower transfer fee then transfering to cryptopia, where i then need to trade for btc before i can then trade again for othe currencies as there ar no direct trading pairs for ETH there. Is this the best way to go about this or should i be looking at transfer from coinbase to a difgerent exchange?

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Latest Kraken update from a few minutes ago:

We are still working to track down an elusive bug which is holding up launch. This bug did not appear in our many weeks of testing and only emerged in the production environment. Unfortunately, it is not consistently reproducible and we cannot launch until this issue is resolved. To reiterate our earlier statement: stale (and possibly all) orders will be canceled, and liquidations will be paused before trading is resumed. We will be offering a substantial amount of free trading following resolution.
Posted 2 minutes

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
All of those coins (I've had XBY for a while) seem like long-term HODLs. There's going to be bad days/weeks.
I grabbed some XBY on C-CEX back on the old site crypto thread when people were talking about it. Anyways, I only ever used CCex to buy that coin, but now id like to move it out of that exchange, but for the life of me, I cant find any withdrawal options on their site. I see some weird code thing, but nothing like a withdrawal. Anyone use CCEX and buy this coin? I know that exchange says they are on limited holiday service till Jan 20th(whatever that means), but not sure if that is related. Also last I checked C-Cex XBY price was something like 15-20% lower than other sites, so Im not too keen to transfer it to BTC on CCEX to get my funds out. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed some XBY on C-CEX back on the old site crypto thread when people were talking about it. Anyways, I only ever used CCex to buy that coin, but now id like to move it out of that exchange, but for the life of me, I cant find any withdrawal options on their site. I see some weird code thing, but nothing like a withdrawal. Anyone use CCEX and buy this coin? I know that exchange says they are on limited holiday service till Jan 20th(whatever that means), but not sure if that is related. Also last I checked C-Cex XBY price was something like 15-20% lower than other sites, so Im not too keen to transfer it to BTC on CCEX to get my funds out. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Never used C-Cex. I bought my XBY on Cryptopia with LTC.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Can some one give me a step by step guide on the easiest/lowest fee way to buy XRP? Lot of guides make it seem so complicated with a lot of jumping through hoops to get it (IE buy LTH from x, exchange on y, deposit z) which seems like with all the fees that you'd be throwing money away.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

C-CEX is in limited service until the 20th, which is why the price is lower.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Anyone else getting in on Garlicoin when it launches? You know, that garlic bread-themed cryptocurrency that started on Reddit? I'll be there day one for some garlicy goodness.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
C-CEX is in limited service until the 20th, which is why the price is lower.
yeah saw the limited service, would it really effect the price that much? was the price more consistent with other exchanges when it wasnt in limited service? Also is there no option to withdrawl this coin directly from CCEX? was hoping to keep it for over a year to get long term tax gain bracket. But I dont want to keep it on the exchange.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Can some one give me a step by step guide on the easiest/lowest fee way to buy XRP? Lot of guides make it seem so complicated with a lot of jumping through hoops to get it (IE buy LTH from x, exchange on y, deposit z) which seems like with all the fees that you'd be throwing money away.

The reason it is complicated is (assuming you are in the US):

1) The only mainstream place to turn real US dollars into crypto currency is Coinbase and Kraken in the United States.

2) Kraken is currently down, and Coinbase doesn't support Ripple.

The reason people tell you to use LTC or ETH is that Bitcoin is really slow to transfer right now.

Step one in any plan you have is go to Coinbase and buy *something* -- BTC, ETH, LTC, whatever. Start there. You can use a credit card or transfer from a bank account. The fees are not going to be as significant as the time that yo happen to buy the Ripple, as the price goes up and down every day.

As an aside, I would recommend splitting what you put in between Ripple and some other stuff, unless you are fully aware that you want to go all in on Ripple.

Megauap

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Just done a bit of pentesting of the Enjin Wallet Android application and it seems to be pretty safe.
The code is obfuscated but I have seen that they implement correctly the SSL certificate, they have a root detection system (although is open source: scottyab/rootbeer), they don't have snapshot saving which avoids that the app information is displayed when it is in the background, etc.
Haven't checked a lot but I'm more confident about it now, I can use it safely.

Onemic

Oct 25, 2017
is now a good time to buy TRON or do you guys think they cant be trusted at this point? Just saw Justins twitter saying they were about to announce a partnership with a space innovative company

Oct 26, 2017
is now a good time to buy TRON or do you guys think they cant be trusted at this point? Just saw Justins twitter saying they were about to announce a partnership with a space innovative company
I'll never touch TRX again.

Just done a bit of pentesting of the Enjin Wallet Android application and it seems to be pretty safe.
The code is obfuscated but I have seen that they implement correctly the SSL certificate, they have a root detection system (although is open source: scottyab/rootbeer), they don't have snapshot saving which avoids that the app information is displayed when it is in the background, etc.
Haven't checked a lot but I'm more confident about it now, I can use it safely.
I can't make up my mind on ENJ. Looks promising, I suppose.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
IMO stay the fuck away from coins that rely on "partnership announcements" to stay relevant. It's such a sad, desperate trend.

Partnerships that actually matter need no introduction. They speak for themselves.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
multi bitcoin walls up starting at 259 satoshis for ADC. No huge spikes from there until 400 satoshis, but a gradual increase.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like...a lot. Why the heck are people going through so much effort to keep it down?
I dunno, the daily volume is down to 36 BTC over the last 24 hours, [strike]and you have to go through 13 BTC of volume just to get from 259 satoshis to 270 satoshis.[/strike] AND I'M LOOKING AT THE WRONG COLUMN

Double edit: no strikethrough text?

Last edited:

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LI4ZG1I.png

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ever had an issue where they have sent coins from one exchange to another and it's a different value received ( i.e. coins have went missing )

I send 1.5 LTC via Coinsquare and the amount received at Cryptopia was 0.6 LTC .... : ( not even sure if there's any point in contacting either of them.