Status
Not open for further replies.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What company/job do all of you work for where you can install games on your work PC and/or just tell your IT dept to screw off because you want to run Linux instead?

Company machines are company property. If your workplace chooses a solution, you kinda have to go with it.

By primary, I mean my own personal primary machine. I do also do freelance work from home so there's that for whatever it's worth. I don't really care what works forces me to use.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
By primary, I mean my own personal primary machine. I do also do freelance work from home so there's that for whatever it's worth. I don't really care what works forces me to use.

So then, what was the point of your comment?

This is about an Enterprise service offering for large corporations.

The status of your personal home machine is a non-sequitur.

I hate to be a broken record but there's always linux distros!

Again, what company/job do you work for that allows you to just ignore any provisioning rules provided by the IT dept and just use whatever OS variant you prefer?

Many tech corporations do offer a choice of hardware (Linux, OS X, Windows), but all of those are going to be specific, managed versions.

If you think you can just walk into work, format your machine, toss on a random Linux distro, and have work be OK with it, you're in for a harsh surprise. Doubly so if your work involves any PII level customer/client data.​

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just because people are familiar with Windows being misleading and inconsistent, doesn't make it more user-friendly.

I'm making statements objectively without regards to any prior experience. In that regard, "Delete" meaning "Delete" is objectively more user-friendly than "Delete" meaning "Move to Trash".
I would argue that Delete putting it in the recycle bin for full deletion, allowing you to get it back if you need it or accidentally deleted it, is far more user-friendly than the nuclear option of it being gone forever straight away.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be a broken record but there's always linux distros!
I hate to be a broken record but for office uses, the corporate world doesn't care.

And this is squarely aimed at the corporate world and their need for thin clients that work with Microsoft's cloud based office tools.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I will move to Linux, and expect games to go somewhere else too, then follow the games that are not on Windows.

Oct 27, 2017
1)This backfire was hilarious, especially after seeing the OP telling people to read the article

2) Will be interesting how this meshes with financial institutions and hospitals with all their legacy apps. Might end up working out since a good chunk are going SaaS with their legacy upgrades.

This Office banter was the most entertaining part of the thread. Thank you lol.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
1)This backfire was hilarious, especially after seeing the OP telling people to read the article

2) Will be interesting how this meshes with financial institutions and hospitals with all their legacy apps. Might end up working out since a good chunk are going SaaS with their legacy upgrades.

This Office banter was the most entertaining part of the thread. Thank you lol.
This really isn't aimed at legacy software users. More at companies like KPMG or EY that only use office tools to work and need thin clients with remote access and virtualization of their desktop. This would make it so much easier for them (and far less problematic in case a laptop is lost or stolen, which is a firing offense at EY, or at least was)

We can't go thin client because of all our legacy software but half our units could be turned into this and it would be cheaper and better

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't aimed at legacy software users. More at companies like KPMG or EY that only use office tools to work and need thin clients with remote access and virtualization of their desktop. This would make it so much easier for them (and far less problematic in case a laptop is lost or stolen, which is a firing offense at EY, or at least was)

We can't go thin client because of all our legacy software but half our units could be turned into this and it would be cheaper and better
Didn't say it was aimed at them, just wondering how it will mesh with clients that at currently at a crossroads with their legacy software. Could see this going well with financial institutions' VO environment that is used for contractors and some remote workers.

And naw, it isnt a firing offence anymore iirc. Some EY joker got his laptop stolen at a client offsite function and only got forced off the project (buddies at EY still say he is there). Or maybe it is case by case. Don't KPMG mainly use client laptops? So might be perfect for them.

Yea, no way we can go thin client as well. Not for many years but we are making good strides to convert to cloud whenever possible.

There hadn't been a "Fuck Microsoft!" thread in a few days. People were getting antsy.
Does that mean a Sony anti-crossplay thread is just around the corner? :>

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say it was aimed at them, just wondering how it will mesh with clients that at currently at a crossroads with their legacy software. Could see this going well with financial institutions' VO environment that is used for contractors and some remote workers.

And naw, it isnt a firing offence anymore iirc. Some EY joker got his laptop stolen at a client offsite function and only got forced off the project (buddies at EY still say he is there). Or maybe it is case by case. Don't KPMG mainly use client laptops? So might be perfect for them.

Yea, no way we can go thin client as well. Not for many years but we are making good strides to convert to cloud whenever possible.

Does that mean a Sony anti-crossplay thread is just around the corner? :>
Our first step is getting rid of our file servers and going full cloud and dropping the infrastructure burdenm on AWS/Azure/Whatever and goo full on Teams

Nov 8, 2017
I would argue that Delete putting it in the recycle bin for full deletion, allowing you to get it back if you need it or accidentally deleted it, is far more user-friendly than the nuclear option of it being gone forever straight away.
I'm not arguing against the function, I'm arguing against it being mislabelled as "Delete" when it does not actually delete files/folders. KDE on Linux does the exact same thing, only the option is labelled as "Move to Trash", which is an accurate description of what it does and therefore objectively more user-friendly.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Turned off my Windows 10 Updates in the Services program just because I don't want to see this happen to my computer. I use my PC for gaming, college and social interaction so to think that one day Microsoft can decide I don't even own my own goddamn computer's OS anymore worries me considerably.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Turned off my Windows 10 Updates in the Services program just because I don't want to see this happen to my computer. I use my PC for gaming, college and social interaction so to think that one day Microsoft can decide I don't even own my own goddamn computer's OS anymore worries me considerably.

This has nothing to do with your home PC, this targeted entirely at Enterprise / IT level usage.

Can a mod please come in here and clear things up please?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with "enterprise customers" in the damned title people are still getting mad at MS for screwing gaming.

And there is still click baiting going on in this article. There's no reason to believe they're killing of local installs and perpetual licensing for enterprise customers.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
This has nothing to do with your home PC, this targeted entirely at Enterprise / IT level usage.

Can a mod please come in here and clear things up please?
I mean I figured that out after posting but at the same time I'm still scared. It's Enterprise now but Microsoft can still choose to roll it out to everyone like how they forced Windows 7 users to update to 10 unless the user forcibly used means to stop it with external means.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If all gpu/cpu manufacturers go hand in hand with ms, you can rest assured you ll be forced to update to not-haagen daas, hardware won t be compatible. I know i will be forced to update to w10 with rizen2 and next gen nvidia... my 7 ultimate is great for my needs T.T don t be blind, the strategy is to have everyone with a rent

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost like people expect microsoft try an obnoxious overreach. History is a b.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Hate to break this to you, but you have NEVER owned your work computer's OS.

Your employer owns the hardware and the software, and controls what can be done with it.

And if you're disabling service updates on your work machine, you're very likely breaking IT policy. Don't be surprised if you get a note from your corporate security department asking you why your machine is no longer complaint.

senatom

Oct 25, 2017
Nuts the amount of people not reading the part about it being enterprise. For enterprise this is a positive thing, especially large enterprise where you may be managing tens of thousands of desktops. VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure) has been around for quite some time, this is just Microsofts evolution of that by providing DaaS (edit: should note that DaaS has even been round for some time).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think this thread should probably be closed. OP clearly misunderstood the article, and since it's relating to enterprise, nothing to do with gaming, it's not really going to generate any meaningful discussion here.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Hate to break this to you, but you have NEVER owned your work computer's OS.

Your employer owns the hardware and the software, and controls what can be done with it.

And if you're disabling service updates on your work machine, you're very likely breaking IT policy. Don't be surprised if you get a note from your corporate security department asking you why your machine is no longer complaint.
What are you talking about? This is my personal computer I'm talking about and I wanted to be safe even if I know it's only Enterprise right now that doesn't mean it might not change in the future

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What are you talking about? This is my personal computer I'm talking about and I wanted to be safe even if I know it's only Enterprise right now that doesn't mean it might not change in the future

This thread is only about an enterprise offering that is not available to individual consumers. It has nothing to do with gaming, personal computers, or anything of the sort.

A personal computer is a non-sequitur. It has no relation to the topic at hand.

Mentioning a personal machine is the same as an American complaining about European car safety laws because it'll mess with their "muscle car."

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It was posted in the gaming side so I'm personally looking at it as something Microsoft would love to do for home OS as well (you know they would want that, their word processor app and such became a subscription service too right? I started using Open Office).

Anyway, because of this thread, and looking into stuff I found out Linux can run a lot of stuff now (DXVK), If MS move to make Windows for normal consumers a subscription service I'll have something to fall back on, and tinker with. Currently it seems like games on DXVK take a big performance hit, hopefully in time it can get a lot better.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just a speculative article, but it's gotten a lot of traction.

I don't think it's viable for now, but I loathe the day this may be possible (thinking 2028 at the earliest).

What a weird statement. It's possible now. It's been possible for years. With the success of Office365 and the downfall of Windows the only question is why they haven't done it earlier. And yes, it absolutely will be a thing on consumer PCs.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What company/job do all of you work for where you can install games on your work PC and/or just tell your IT dept to screw off because you want to run Linux instead?

Company machines are company property. If your workplace chooses a solution, you kinda have to go with it.

If you think they won't hit the Home PC market with this as well, you are kidding yourself.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My workplace supports multiple solutions, because they accept their staff may have different requirements based on what software they need to run.

Windows comes by default on new employees machines, but any of the *ubuntu LTS Linux distros can be installed on work machines by request. There's also some Mac machines but they aren't for the offices afaik, haven't asked about that since I've never needed one.

Games are not meant to be installed, but the restrictions are light enough that many of us at least have one or two. Nobody really cares as long as work gets done. We can install literally anything we want (I would say the freedom to run whatever we want is even a requirement for us to do our work).

Researcher. Not all jobs are equally strict.

But all this is besides the point. I posted that and then immediately posted I wouldn't actually add it yet because there's nothing to base those concerns on yet. At the start of this thread people were only thinking of consumer desktops.

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
What makes you think it'll hit the Home PC market?
I agree. I think with the possible traction being gained by Chromebooks, and the mainstream adoption of Android/iOS (for content "consumers" vs. "creators"), I don't think Microsoft can afford to do anything to push people away from Windows. And selling it exclusively as a service most likely would. As an option is fine, parallel to outright ownership, but even then I can't see it.

I think the more likely scenario is that at some point Windows becomes free for end users and, like most free software, Microsoft make their money from commercial/corporate/enterprise customers and support contracts. But I think Windows will ultimately become free because it is starting to become the expectation, again with things like iOS/Android.

Looking back (and putting the issue of forced upgrades aside), MS let everyone upgrade to Windows 10 for free, which is unprecedented in the history of Windows. And they have stated that Windows 10 is the "last" version of Windows, which means that everyone who has Windows 10 now in theory has Windows 10 for life.

My feeling is that, like Apple and Google and, to an extent, like the console market, where hardware is sold as a loss-leader, Microsoft want to start making their money from the sale of "content" on their "platform", and the only wrinkle in their plans so far has been that Microsoft Store uptake probably hasn't tracked with Microsoft's expectations.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

I was talking about limux for a home user. As you should have inferred by talking about games. Also consider that this is a gaming message board.

And there are some companies that support using Linux as a new operating system.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you think they won't hit the Home PC market with this as well, you are kidding yourself.
If you think there is even a 0.0000001% chance of this being how consumer windows works in the next few decades then you should go buy every roll of tin foil that the store have, as you have far bigger things to worry about.

This is a speculated option for enterprise customers that currently run thin clients using Citrix etc. Do you run a Citrix server with thin clients at home? No? Then this will not ever affect you if it even happens.

The amount of people either faking outrage or displaying their terrible comprehension skills over this is astonishing. This thread should go in some sort of Hall of fame.

I mean shit, we just had one guy turn off windows updates because he thought ms would flick a switch tomorrow and make his computer a remote server lol. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If you think there is even a 0.0000001% chance of this being how consumer windows works in the next few decades then you should go buy every roll of tin foil that the store have, as you have far bigger things to worry about.

This is a speculated option for enterprise customers that currently run thin clients using Citrix etc. Do you run a Citrix server with thin clients at home? No? Then this will not ever affect you if it even happens.

The amount of people either faking outrage or displaying their terrible comprehension skills over this is astonishing. This thread should go in some sort of Hall of fame.

I mean shit, we just had one guy turn off windows updates because he thought ms would flick a switch tomorrow and make his computer a remote server lol. Jesus Christ.

Golden post. Lol.

not_swift

May 2, 2018
I'm not arguing against the function, I'm arguing against it being mislabelled as "Delete" when it does not actually delete files/folders. KDE on Linux does the exact same thing, only the option is labelled as "Move to Trash", which is an accurate description of what it does and therefore objectively more user-friendly.

Its better because the uninformed user wants to delete something not move it.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I still don't understand why headline of the thread has not been modified since it's the opinion piece. When you have this about games the "rumour" is there within minutes....

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Truly the darkest timeline.

Not really. It is more like businesses doing away with ownership. If the firms have to buy the software, they show it on the balance sheet as an asset and write it down after a certain amount of time. In a certain way, having things like this on your balance sheet distracts from the core activity of the business. Just rent it, show it as an expense in your books and you are done with it. No consideration of depreciation, no consideration of fair value etc. If any, it is way better for firms.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

How many enterprise offerings have hit the home market?

My workplace supports multiple solutions, because they accept their staff may have different requirements based on what software they need to run.

Windows comes by default on new employees machines, but any of the *ubuntu LTS Linux distros can be installed on work machines by request. There's also some Mac machines but they aren't for the offices afaik, haven't asked about that since I've never needed one.

Games are not meant to be installed, but the restrictions are light enough that many of us at least have one or two. Nobody really cares as long as work gets done. We can install literally anything we want (I would say the freedom to run whatever we want is even a requirement for us to do our work).

Researcher. Not all jobs are equally strict.

But all this is besides the point. I posted that and then immediately posted I wouldn't actually add it yet because there's nothing to base those concerns on yet. At the start of this thread people were only thinking of consumer desktops.

Yes, that isn't uncommon. But even in those cases, you're going to typically be limited to specific variants of Linux that have been vetted and are managed. You're not just going to download a random ISO and install it (outside of a lab/testing environment). If you're using a production workstation, you're getting a distro from IT, and it's probably pre-configured by something like Chef.

Still, this is something that is specific to enterprise users and work machines, and we have a thread full of people complaining about being afraid they won't be able to play their favorite games.

I was talking about limux for a home user. As you should have inferred by talking about games. Also consider that this is a gaming message board.

And there are some companies that support using Linux as a new operating system.

The topic is about enterprise services for corporate workstations. It has nothing to do with a home user. It would be like coming into a thread about a Nvidia Tesla and complaining about how Nvidia sucks because it is designing cards for ML and that's not what you personally want.

Not really. It is more like businesses doing away with ownership. If the firms have to buy the software, they show it on the balance sheet as an asset and write it down after a certain amount of time. In a certain way, having things like this on your balance sheet distracts from the core activity of the business. Just rent it, show it as an expense in your books and you are done with it. No consideration of depreciation, no consideration of fair value etc. If any, it is way better for firms.

This is an accurate comment on how asset depreciation works and why many large corporations find it appealing to lease rather than own.

Status
Not open for further replies.