• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
For the last hour, they've slowly unveiled a series of tweets spelling "Perhaps the ending has not yet been written?", culminating in this image.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition Remastered Super Turbo Deluxe
(Honestly, just give me Myst 3-4 on Steam)

OP
OP
Axisofweevils

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
shame the site is crashed due to heavy traffic. I wonder if it said anything more...

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Myst needs a whole new reboot... pre-rendered CG beautiful landscapes with puzzles amidst them

Oct 29, 2017
shame the site is crashed due to heavy traffic. I wonder if it said anything more...
Got through, it doesn't. It's the same image, links to Cyan's social media, and a newsletter signup that crashed on me while I was signing up.

Thinking about Myst there's a lot that the creators have talked about wanting to do in the past:
There's been a Myst movie that's been turned into a TV show, that's been bounced from studio to studio, network to network for a while, most recently ending up with Hulu.

Myst 3 and 4 remain unavailable for modern audience, unlike Myst 1 (in like 18 forms), Riven, Uru, and Myst 5. Ubisoft owns the rights to those and they are highly requested.

A while ago, Robyn Miller (the Miller brother no longer fully at Cyan, now pursuing film and other storytelling) remastered the Myst Soundtrack for release in a Game Soundtrack bundle and had this to say about a theoretical box set of his scores.

Riven, the other really highly regarded game in the series has not recieved a "realMyst" style remake, and Cyan even saying it would be too difficult, and pointing to a fan project that they have endorsed instead. Maybe they are picking up the project?

Six days ago they announced a new "Steampunk" themed game called Firmament. Perhaps this game is related to Myst in some way and is secretly Myst 6 with a code name?

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just really truly hoping that this is something - anything - new and not just another port or rerelease.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good place to ask for what's the best way to play Myst for the first time. Masterpiece Edition? RealMyst?

Samwa

Oct 27, 2017
Good place to ask for what's the best way to play Myst for the first time. Masterpiece Edition? RealMyst?
I can't speak to any compatibility issues but I recommend playing any version that has the original pre-rendered graphics. They've remade the game in full 3d twice now and I wouldn't recommend it if you want to see what the original game is like.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Knowing Rand this is almost certainly Myst VR, which he's mentioned he's been dying to do for a while.

(Source: I talked to the guy about it.)

Oct 29, 2017
Does the GOG version not work on W10?
The GOG version should work with Windows 10, AND ScummVM just got a major update that now runs Riven. Get the GOG version (or bust your your old CDs), use the ScummVM wiki to find out which files to put in a folder and you'll have a compatible ROM (officially & legally too!)

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone predicting Myst VR, it was apparently coming and then was cancelled.

MYST VR (Proof of Concept)
MYST VR was a Cyan, Inc. proof of concept project for a remastered MYST Island scene. The project did not end up moving forward past the proof of concept stage.

It was a group project involving all of Cyan art team.
My personal responsibilities involved modeling, texturing, and materials for several of the prop elements, including the Fountain, The Brick Building, the Log Cabin, the Observatory, and the Sky box

Posted 7 days ago

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
Just repackage it for 2D and boom, RealestMyst

Considering how much of their staff was just laid off, I don't think the platform is the issue here. We'll see what they're up to soon, I hope.

[flashbacks to seeing an Uru screenshot in 2000 and not having resolution on it for another three years]

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, I just made a thread and I didn't know this was already here.
Consider me, pretty, pretty hyped. I knew of the series a long time ago, but only started playing them recently, and I must say, I want more.
I still need to buy Obduction tho.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Whether it's a new game or a remake of a classic, I'd be down for more Myst games. I really do enjoy the franchise.

Myst on the go with the Switch could be interesting (I imagine the Switch could handle realMyst: Masterpiece Edition).

sandkiller

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Unfortunately didn't have a chance to play all the entries. I know it's mostly been focused on PC but it would be great if it came to consoles (and especially Switch, playing on the go... :O )

A man can dream...

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Please remake Riven. I've no idea how to run the original in W10.
The GOG version should work with Windows 10, AND ScummVM just got a major update that now runs Riven. Get the GOG version (or bust your your old CDs), use the ScummVM wiki to find out which files to put in a folder and you'll have a compatible ROM (officially & legally too!)
Just a head's up: if anyone wants to play Riven on a modern Mac, there was a remake of the engine made a few years ago: https://github.com/jfroy/rivenx

You need the discs of course.

Just use ScummVM. The GOG release was recently updated to use ScummVM out of the box and it runs pretty much flawlessly. Not sure about the Steam release, but it's easy to get it running in ScummVM.

Masterpiece Edition is now supported by ScummVM, but I recommend RealMyst simply for the more straightforward navigation, but YMMV. The Original RealMyst may still work on your machine but there is also RealMyst Remastered which (after some patches) is as good or better than the original RealMyst.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just use ScummVM. The GOG release was recently updated to use ScummVM out of the box and it runs pretty much flawlessly. Not sure about the Steam release, but it's easy to get it running in ScummVM.

Masterpiece Edition is now supported by ScummVM, but I recommend RealMyst simply for the more straightforward navigation, but YMMV. The Original RealMyst may still work on your machine but there is also RealMyst Remastered which (after some patches) is as good or better than the original RealMyst.
Yep, my copy of Riven had ScummVM out of the box. Worked flawlessly on Windows 10.

Tensuke

Oct 27, 2017
Obduction was so good, I'm hungry for more. I hope they do another game in that style (maybe Firmament will be?).