Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
140 hospitals. 19 senior care facilities.

All struggling to do their jobs and help their patients.

www.freep.com

Cyberattack hits Ascension hospitals' computer networks: 'It's affecting everything'

"It's affecting everything," a doctor said when computer networks shut down at 15 Ascension Michigan hospitals amid a national cybersecurity breach.

Ascension hospitals were hit Wednesday by a cyberattack that disrupted its computer network which continued to affect its clinical operations Thursday morning, leading the nonprofit, St. Louis-based health system to urge its business partners to sever online connections to its system.

"We detected unusual activity on select technology network systems, which we now believe is due to a cyber security event," Ascension said in a statementposted on its website. "At this time we continue to investigate the situation. We responded immediately, initiated our investigation and activated our remediation efforts. Access to some systems have been interrupted as this process continues.

Our care teams are trained for these kinds of disruptions and have initiated procedures to ensure patient care delivery continues to be safe and as minimally impacted as possible. There has been a disruption to clinical operations, and we continue to assess the impact and duration of the disruption."

Employees noticed the computer network problems about 7 a.m. Wednesday, said three workers who spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of job repercussions.

"There was a security concern, so they shut down the system," one physician told the Free Press. "It's affecting everything."

Another Ascension Michigan doctor said: "We have no access to medical records, no access to labs, no access to radiology or X-rays, no ability to place orders.

"We have to write everything on paper. It's like the 1980s or 1990s. You go to the X-ray room to look at the X-rays on film, you call the lab they tell you what the results are over the phone. So it's just much more cumbersome, but we do have training for these moments."

I've known about this for a couple days but since its on GMA and the news I figured it would be a good time to post.

My wife works at an Ascension hospital. She says: "They are demanding a ransom. Ascension knew this was coming and didn't do enough to prevent it. Now we literally have everything down. Time clocks, charts, security cameras. Everything….Everyone is freaking out. We have all the cases but can't even print out a preference card to pull the case because it has patient information on it. We are so fucked. All the nurses are scrambling trying to chart on paper. All the doctors have to chart and dictate on paper. It's mayhem".

They'll likely end up just getting paid whatever their last week's paycheck is, she says.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing to target corporations but it's a whole other level of special scumbaggery to go after hospitals in any form...just wow

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's one thing to target corporations but it's a whole other level of special scumbaggery to go after hospitals in any form...just wow

Personally, I know their management isn't the greatest and it's likely they had some severe vulnerabilities but yes. It's a hospital. You're not a "badass 1337 hacker" when you are literally causing issues with lives - you are possibly committing even more serious crimes.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it's basically impossible to overstate how stressful this is for everybody involved. attacks like this have been hitting every rung of the medical industry over the last few years. more should be done to prevent them - better training that emphasizes strict preventative measures, systems and security upgrades, etc. but it's a cat and mouse game, and with money on the line, i've got a feeling that this sort of thing is just going to keep on happening.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Ascension laid off 650+ application analysts for their EHR a couple of years back so they could outsource support to a third party consulting firm with a terrible reputation. I'm not saying this has anything to do it with, but it sure can't be helping.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And let me take a wild guess: the IT and IS teams have been begging the C-suites for years on personnel/funding for cybersecurity issues to little avail.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
it's basically impossible to overstate how stressful this is for everybody involved. attacks like this have been hitting every rung of the medical industry over the last few years. more should be done to prevent them - better training that emphasizes strict preventative measures, systems and security upgrades, etc. but it's a cat and mouse game, and with money on the line, i've got a feeling that this sort of thing is just going to keep on happening.

My wife is struggling right now. And something similar already happened a year ago and I believe they paid the ransom. So it will likely become a thing.

Ascension laid off 650+ application analysts for their EHR a couple of years back so they could outsource support to a third party consulting firm with a terrible reputation. I'm not saying this has anything to do it with, but it sure can't be helping.

It's a mismanaged corporation from the top down. I've been kicking the company for years due to their constant hiring freezes. Everyone from medical staff to management is overworking themselves because they refuse to hire. Everyone does 2-3 jobs. And when they ask for more help the company says they can't afford it.

Meanwhile their doctors and upper management are fucking rolling in cash.

And let me take a wild guess: the IT and IS teams have been begging the C-suites for years on personnel/funding for cybersecurity issues to little avail.

I couldn't even tell you. My wife has seen like one IT guy over the last few months at her hospital.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven