• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Honestly, if you're a big fan who's been anticipating this game for like a decade, I would advise you to wait like a month or three instead jumping in on Day 1.

I'm sure the game will be great, but at the same time I'm sure it will be filled with performance issues and bugs at launch, and that may not be what you want for your first playthrough

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
With the kind of supply constraints COVID is creating and the economic downturn it's going to be a while before Sony and MS can provide nextgen consoles to folks who can't afford them any way. PS4 and XBO are here to stay. Not to mention even once they're gone studios still have to build for XBSs at the low end.
Yeah at least the CPU's will be all the same which is great working around the GPU is way easier than just the CPU's. And I agree we are probally a year or two before total abandonment They will be around for a while especially for sports games etc until the consoles are readily available this is kind of why sony really pushing turn over is going to be a big deal. If they can get to a 50% swap in 2 years thats great for everybody.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I have it preordered for xbox SX I have also on preorder on amazon. I guess at least now there is no way I get the game before the SX

ElukiaTV

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
My friends on discord complaining about how CD f^cked their plans for the weekend... and im just thinking about those people having to do 21 more days of crunch, just right when they tought it was over.
Man, i hope they get paid well. Like Extra-extra well paid.
(Im also expecting to read a tweet from a anonymous dev saying they just found out about it when it was published on twitter, its not a surprise anymore).
Good luck devs!

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Irrespective of 3 week delay, the devs would likely have been (and still will be) crunching beyond release on patches, day 1 fixes, and then the multitude of bugs and issues that are discovered post launch. Not trying to downplay the crunch or anything here, I am kind of saying that even without this the devs would still have been working insanely hard. Wishing them all the best. I hope that people appreciate all their handwork and sacrifice

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
askagamedev.tumblr.com

Going gold but still delayed

I’m still crunching so it is still difficult for me to find the time for full length posts, but I’ve gotten a number of questions about Cyberpunk 2077 getting delayed again after going gold and it’s a...

The cert process generally has two sets of criteria - deal breakers that fail outright (e.g. crashing, using incorrect platform trademarks like button names/icons, etc.), and things that don't cause outright failure but are worth a point value. If a game accumulates too many points, it also results in cert failure. However, if the game has few enough points, it can pass cert with no required changes.

There's also window between a full pass and cert failure called "conditional pass" which is not quite bad enough to fail, but still bad enough to require fixes. Conditional passes come with a list of must-fix issues in a day 1 patch. No day 1 patch means no approval. What almost certainly happened was that Cyberpunk 2077 got a conditional cert pass due to enough issues that weren't bad enough to fail cert outright but also weren't benign enough to get a full pass. This was their "going gold" status - they got the conditional pass from cert.

Longtime readers should know that patches also require certification and can also fail… which is almost certainly what happened in this case. CDPR most likely failed cert for their day 1 patch and thus must continue to crunch to try to fix it. They probably did not expect to fail cert (again), but they also cannot release the game without passing cert, so they had to delay the game (again) despite "going gold". My suspicions are that they devs are probably running on fumes thanks to having crunched for a year and a half already.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
So I ask, if the game was gold and supposedly some reviewers were already playing it, couldn't it be leaked in the next few days? Incidentally, as happened with TLOU2.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question - has another game ever been delayed after going gold before?

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
The worst part aside from the crunch is that those extra 21 days are definitely not the amount of time they actually need to fix this mess for release but rather the maximum amount of time they CAN delay it without some huge financial repercussions.

Considering the borderline rabid thirst people have for this game versus the actual state of it I cannot imagine a scenario where this doesn't end up being a massive disaster.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You say that like someone who recently had the same issues with their own game on the OG consoles *cough*, lol. :D

I never understood how they possibly planned to get the world we saw in that gameplay demo 2-3 years ago to work on the original consoles, and was actually concerned when they confirmed it was a current-gen game.

I know it's going to be more complicated than this but it honestly seems that the CDPR management grew so hyped up on PC Master Race nonsense that they seriously treated PC as the lead platform for their mass-market open-world AAA game.

So when it came time to make sure the game ran on current-gen consoles they were trying to essentially do a current-gen-to-Switch conversion multiple times over. However since the game is too mainstream to be PC-only they have to release it on those platforms, hence the delays.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Never thought it would be delayed even when it had gone gold…
I mean, how buggy would the 1.0 version be?

Must be bad to delay again after their no more delays tweet. I dont think ANYONE saw this coming but I do think the Dec 10th date is just smoke. It will get delayed hard into 2021 now. Really sucks as I was looking forward to playing this on PS5 on Nov 19th. Launch day for me feels a bit deflated now. Guess there is also Miles Morales SM to enjoy

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At this point, I don't think I will buy it on day 1. All these delays do not inspire confidence when it comes to how it will perform, even on PC and even on settings below Ultra.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO, not a surprise in the slightest. Hopefully those that are still waiting on a new GPU can get theirs by that point now though. Also, now I don't have to worry about Demon's Souls taking away from playing this game at launch, which it would have if I am able to get a launch day PS5.

Can't wait for the inevitable news that DLSS won't be implemented at launch, and that many of the RTX options were "optimized" (gutted) either.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also what could be so critical that you delay the game to miss black Friday after already going gold. The incompetence is astounding. The game must be a complete disaster on some platforms

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
askagamedev.tumblr.com

Going gold but still delayed

I’m still crunching so it is still difficult for me to find the time for full length posts, but I’ve gotten a number of questions about Cyberpunk 2077 getting delayed again after going gold and it’s a...

And his is the biggest issue that always happens with crunch that few management teams ever understand: the longer someone is overworked, the more mistakes they make. There are countless studies spanning decades about this. Fucking idiots.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Never thought it would be delayed even when it had gone gold…
I mean, how buggy would the 1.0 version be?

All of their previous Witcher games launched in pretty buggy or seemingly not in good condition so much so that there is a sort of pattern of them releasing major patches that significantly improve the game long after the game releases. I would expect nothing different here.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for them taking more time, but clearly something isn't going right with the game. I think the base consoles are really causing trouble for them, and CDPR are perfectionists.

People should prepare themselves for 2021 release. I'd rather them release great versions across the board than Bethesda disasters with their console versions like PS3 Skyrim, and console Fallout 4.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Game must be absolute fucking disaster then and that insider info / rumor about game needing at least 5 months more time to come together is legit.

Mostly this delay sucks for the devs who need to keep on crunch marching longer and longer...

Is that the reddit post that said it would be released in february ?

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Feel bad for the people who took time off from work.

They promised 'no more delays' even up to just 1 day prior to a delay.

I'm fine with games taking their time, but this is a sign of messy magagement IMO.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm betting that the Jag cores are crippling this game to a point that it doesn't even resemble the initial trailers CDPR showed. One of the key features is how amazing and full of life NIght City is supposed to be... and something tells me that the compromises made to nudge the engine towards 30 fps on the one S and PS4 are maybe too steep right now and robs the game from one of its best parts, a populated, dense and visually interesting Night City.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
December aye?

LEXwKe.gif

Everything's fine... yes yes... I'll go back to playing Dragon Age Inquisition until then

😡

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
None of which came close to this game.

That doesn't mean loads of people weren't/aren't going to play them. Demon Souls, Spiderman and Valhalla just off the top of my head are huge games in their own right that now people will actually have time to get to. Valhalla in particular is the clear winner here and is going to have a very good month.

Plum

May 31, 2018
All of their previous Witcher games launched in pretty buggy or seemingly not in good condition so much so that there is a sort of pattern of them releasing major patches that significantly improve the game long after the game releases. I would expect nothing different here.

Yeah. I remember when they released a patch for TW3 which fundamentally improved the act of walking, and that was months after I'd bought it (and I didn't even buy it at launch...). A game like this in a brand new genre for them with seemingly so many interacting variables is not going to be releasing without some substantial issues.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Delay the game as long as necessary, I'd rather a complete experience than a shitty one.
Day 1.

Also, can they make digital price the same as physical?
I want to take advantage of all the fast resume and not have to worry about swapping out a disc since physical is usually cheaper.