• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
The repeated offenses made this game go from one of my most anticipated ever—like 'dream game' status—to 'wait and see.' I forgave and even defended the company the first time. And the second. And then it happened like twice more.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Idk..... I don't think its right to champion any kinda belief, movement or ideology which is ones right to do while exercising your free will... but then on the other hand take a non tolerant stance to someone that doesn't share the same ideals that you do.

I'ma black guy, and I am totally against this notion that any artist (yes artist cause thats what game designers are) should modify their vision to cater to some sort of social construct or racial/gender acknowledgment. I also do not care about the whole crunch thing, I don't approve of it and I hope teams can do more to curtail it but I can understand it. If I were to have a problem it would be if the devs aren't being paid more for those crunch weeks. In which case my issue wouldn't be "stop crunch" but rather would be "pay more during crunch".

I shouldn't get started.... but I think people need to leave these artists to do whatever the fuck they want to do, if people have an issue then they should go do it themselves. an example, remember that death stranding trailer with a naked Reedus and stuff..... I can promise you someone would have been up in arms if that were a naked woman... tits and all.

There are some things that are obviously wrong, but I feel a lot of these things are just people forcing notions, beliefs...etc or even seeing issues where there are none.

Take for instance the first line in this thread which kinda adheres to my pint and thus stance on these things. How can you tell someone they aren't needed in this thread because they don't care, but expect someone to care about what you have to say? How can you expect your opinions to be respected and acknowledged and then ignore the opinions of others? I mean if I were you, I would rather want to know why those people don't care about issues like these and maybe even educate them. Or like a group of women ensuring a ban of media girls/models when at no point actually representing the desires and wants of the women that actually do that for a living. And the worst part is that the women even pushing that agenda are probably women that have never had to model a day in their lives or even have the body for it. I would have respected something like that more if they pushed for better wages or something like that.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I am definitively conflicted about it. Not because how shitty they are, but is seems they put all the package IN the game. We already saw misoginy (with female protag) and rascist representation (taxi driver is south asian and the black character in the last trailer is Mister T).
In the CDPR mind, the social state of the world in 2077 will be the same as today, even worse maybe. I think it shows their state of mind.

Well, considering the way things are going, that might not be unrealistic. But honestly your last sentence Made me think about the issues with the game itself, thank you for that. Its weird that we accept status quo representation in a futuristic game.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think those "implications" would only be relevant if the context was to be homophobic? Deadwood is one of the best rated shows around, Deadwood uses a lot of swearing because people swear

Cyberpunk as a Universe has an edgy/punk element to it, where it's going to use coarse language of all sorts. I don't know what people are expecting looking at such a Universe and expecting it to be "Oh dear" and "Golly gosh!". Cyberpunk already uses cunt, we heard that in a prior trailer.

I just think some people find it more difficult to see cocksucker in a non-homophobic context because, well, it's an inherently homophobic word. It's not like saying arsehole, jerk, fucker, wanker, what-have-you (I'm not a native speaker so my vocabulary may be a bit limited here). Even if you don't use it with the intention of implying that it's bad to literally suck cock, by using it as an insult you're still condoning and supporting that sort of mindset because the mindset is baked into the literal meaning of the word. It's like when people claim it's not homophobic to use "gay" as a synonym for stupid. Yeah, it fucking is!

Cunt I'm a bit ambivalent about. It's supposedly a huge no-no in the US, but I personally don't see a big difference between calling someone a cunt and calling someone a dick. Maybe there's some historical context I don't know about.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It's always been. It implies you're calling someone gay, and in a derogatory way.

This. At least with the trailer last night, they showed they actually have black people in this one. That's something, at least.

They showed a wide variety of races in the trailer at last years E3, no? And the 40 minute gameplay demo was with a latino female main character. I don't think representation is going to be much of an issue with this game.

In regards to OP, I remember when this happened and it was mostly only one or two people. I'm not going to condemn 100s of others for the mistakes of a very select few.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Game studios aren't a monolith (nor is any corporation). Individuals taking bad stances on social issues don't speak for everyone who actually worked on the product. Not supporting a product you're otherwise interested in because one, or a few, of the people involved have said something you don't like is entirely your choice, but I'd hesitate to lump in everyone who worked on the project into the same category, or to diminish their hard work by doing so.
The company itself refused to comment or apologise. Publicly denouncing transphobia is an incredibly easy thing to do but they refused to do so and even tried shitty damage control that just made things worse. The company should absolutely be held accountable.

You also have to remember that CD Projekt RED is based in a much less progressive country than the US, and their world view in general is going to be affected by that, for better or worse.
That is no excuse if they are selling to a worldwide audience.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see we've already gotten to the point where we should be tolerant to homophobes and transphobes.

Anyway I honestly have absolutely no faith in them to do Cyberpunk right in no small part thanks to the stuff in the OP as well as some stuff from interviews.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I'm sure Mr Cyberpunk himself doesn't know how to do Cyberpunk and incorrectly told CDPR to include a Sun.

Arguably he doesn't. while Mike Pondsmith obviously knows how to stay true to his vision for Cyberpunk 20XX there is a very solid argument to be made that Cyberpunk 20XX is only, somewhat genre appropriately, about the chrome. Most "cyberpunk" TRPG's and CRPG's don't really adopt anything more than the aesthetic and the barest trappings of the literary genre they originate from. The tabletop game certainly doesn't really do much to examine many of the themes people might expect from neo-Cyberpunk stuff, it's treatment of transhumanism and cybernetics is at best regressive for example.

I'm just seeking clarification since this is the first I've heard that cock sucker is considered a slur and not just an insult.

If its not a slur whats insulting about it? Or did you think it was an insult that magically wasnt drawing the insulting part from the act its describing?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think you're right OP to bring this up. All the excitement about the game and Keanu Reeves shouldn't make us forget.about the bad track record of CDPR when it comes to social stances. So we should look closely how they do a better job with Cyberpunk 2077 and their next games.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
"If you don't care about these issues one way or the other, don't bother telling us that in this thread."
That's some grade A BS right there. You can't come to a public forum with an issue and tell people not to speak if they don't agree with you. I do care about these issues, but I'm absolutely against this holier-than-thou attitude some people have about them here. So, don't come here and tell me what I can or can't say about an issue. That's an "issue" in an of itself.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not buying this game will make zero impact on social issues. It will merely deprive you of a game that you want to play.

Principles are one thing, sure, but your individual purchase (or lack thereof) won't be a scale tipper.
If that sort of mindset is evident in the game itself, I actually don't think I want to play it. That's the crux of the issue here (at least for me). I do hope that the game will handle these issues well but I will have to be convinced of that first.

Oct 30, 2017
If my morals took precedent in my life id have to life like a hermit. Im sitting here typing this on my phone, which directly supports the blood diamond industry in Africa.

The corporations that provide me with shit are all corrupt. We just choose to ignore it.

More power to people who have strong beliefs in this.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"If you don't care about these issues one way or the other, don't bother telling us that in this thread."
That's some grade A BS right there. You can't come to a public forum with an issue and tell me not to speaker if they don't agree with you. I do care about these issues, but I'm absolutely against this holier-than-thou attitude some people have about them here. So, don't come here and tell me what I can or can't say about an issue. That's an "issue" in an of itself.
Or maybe it's because a lot of these threads have an issue with people coming in and going "don't care lol" before fucking off forever. If that isn't you then maybe don't take it so personally.

May 17, 2018
They showed a wide variety of races in the trailer at last years E3, no? And the 40 minute gameplay demo was with a latino female main character. I don't think representation is going to be much of an issue with this game.

They did. I think CP2077 will have decent minority representation. I'm just going off their history of it being non-existent in their games, save for some DLC in the third Witcher game.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the idea that a bunch of gangsters, from a dystopian future no less, not using PC language for their insults is somehow a thing we should be annoyed about.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just think some people find it more difficult to see cocksucker in a non-homophobic context because, well, it's an inherently homophobic word. It's not like saying arsehole, jerk, fucker, wanker, what-have-you (I'm not a native speaker so my vocabulary may be a bit limited here). Even if you don't use it with the intention of implying that it's bad to literally suck cock, by using it as an insult you're still condoning and supporting that sort of mindset because the mindset is baked into the literal meaning of the word. It's like when people claim it's not homophobic to use "gay" as a synonym for stupid. Yeah, it fucking is!

Cunt I'm a bit ambivalent about. It's supposedly a huge no-no in the US, but I personally don't see a big difference between calling someone a cunt and calling someone a dick. Maybe there's some historical context I don't know about.

But if people simply ignore context and intent with language you can go on long tirades about how most of the coarsest swear words in existence have been used in derogatory ways. No one is going to disagree that they have been and still are.

Often on Era, you see claims bitch and cunt cannot be said without it meaning you are sexist/misogynistic. It matters how you use said language and why you are using it. No one needs to like swearing, but it's not as simplistic as those who don't like swear words sometimes imply.

This is Cyberpunk, it's not Viva Pinata. Just in the same way as Deadwood isn't Dr Who.

Cocksucker actually seems to be quite rooted in American media - https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/what-is-it-about-cocksucker-that-americans-love-so-much

Dohma

Oct 27, 2017
Are you a straight white dude or a queer person?

Because depending on your answer, it definitely matters.
No it doesn't. Threads like this are such a joke... taking one old tweet turning it into a massive frenzy. Literally using the games dialogue as some sort of indication it's homophobic. The game is set in a dark depressing future so no wonder it's using words like "cock sucker" as insults.

as someone part of the LGBT community it's really PATHETIC when this is the sort of shit people focus on. It's MEANINGLESS

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not buying this game will make zero impact on social issues. It will merely deprive you of a game that you want to play.

Principles are one thing, sure, but your individual purchase (or lack thereof) won't be a scale tipper.

I bet you don't vote for the same reason.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you don't want to support the amazing job that CDPR has done for PC gaming, that's all and fine as that is your choice. I have no issues with doing so. GOG is by far the most consumer-friendly PC gaming store/launcher with its complete 100% no DRM policy.

For me, actions speak much louder than Twitter posts, but I can understand that for some people it is the other way around.

I'm not that well read on CDPRs history about these issues, so I don't have an informed opinion yet. I'm also not a PC player, and actually haven't played the Witcher games, so my exposure to their work is minimal.

But I'd absolutely count twitter posts as "actions", and actively refusing to stand up for LGBTQ rights by even making a minimal effort statement honestly feels like an "action" too considering the political climate of 2019.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about the game and disappointed in the past actions. For every dollar I spend on their game, I'm donating to an LGBTQ+ center in my city. It's my way of confronting the duality. Everyone is different though so I don't fault or blame others for the actions they are taking as a response. What is annoying is seeing people discount how others are feeling regarding everything. People will get legit booty bothered that someone finds the companies previous actions troublesome.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, as a consumer I can feel you on being conflicted about them, really we can only make that choice for ourselves and if you feel like it'll be better for you to choose not to support them I certainly get it based on what your post laid out

The only issue that I have with what you said is being against the use of slurs (cocksucker, in this case. But there are many others used in the last trailer they showed). I mean, the slur itself isn't exactly a new term and despite the progress we've made in society it's still used quite frequently so who's to say when it will stop being used?

Not to mention, in this case, it's an artistic choice that they've gone with to immerse characters in a dark world where you're hanging out with less-than kind company.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it also can be said to straight/bi women who presumably also engage in that activity; in fact more than half of the earth's population sucks cock, not just homosexuals. Is it a slur in that case or only situationally when using it in a homophobic context? To be clear I don't go around calling anyone a cock sucker, if anything I'll yell it out angrily to myself at a video game or something if I'm raging at it. This isn't an excuse for people yelling out the N word and I expect it probably isn't in this case either, I'm just seeking clarification since this is the first I've heard that cock sucker is considered a slur and not just an insult.
Have you ever heard of a woman being called a cocksucker? It is 100% a derogatory term for being gay. It is used specifically as an insult to call someone gay.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. Threads like this are such a joke... taking one old tweet turning it into a massive frenzy. Literally using the games dialogue as some sort of indication it's homophobic. The game is set in a dark depressing future so no wonder it's using words like "cock sucker" as insults.

as someone part of the LGBT community it's really PATHETIC when this is the sort of shit people focus on. It's MEANINGLESS
You really trying to downplay transphobic tweets? Really?

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
The way i look at it is, there are hundreds of people working on these games, and i'm sure among those there are going to be people who i disagree with on many issues. So as long as the game itself doesn't push social agenda that bother me I'll get it. Though i do know some people think differently and i totally understand if what has happened soured them on the game.

Oct 29, 2017
The tweets can be more than enough reason to boycot, that should be fair and should not be questioned. But there is no much to hint that they actually do not understand exactly what the Cyberpunk setting is supposed to be.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a bit confused by the first sentence. Is this thread only for discussion if people agree with the OP's opinion or is there room for discussion on the matter? I mean, to come out and immediately say if you don't care, this isn't the thread for you, then that seems wrong to me. If it's just to keep people from coming in and responding, 'dont care' and that's it, then sure, don't do that. Is it not okay for someone to say they don't care, if they at least provide some explanation as to why?

As for me, I like to think the responsible party for this is no longer around and hope it wasn't reflective of CDPR in full, but I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer to that. I'm perfectly fine with seeing how it progresses and I'm not conflicted in any way with regards to buying the game, based on this situation at least.
That's some grade A BS right there. You can't come to a public forum with an issue and tell people not to speak if they don't agree with you. I do care about these issues, but I'm absolutely against this holier-than-thou attitude some people have about them here. So, don't come here and tell me what I can or can't say about an issue. That's an "issue" in an of itself.
Strange failure to comprehend what I wrote. Asking people not to make dismissive posts saying they don't care about the topic doesn't stop people from disagreeing with each other or myself in the thread. Contribute, that's all my opening calls for.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
I am definitively conflicted about it. Not because how shitty they are, but is seems they put all the package IN the game. We already saw misoginy (with female protag) and rascist representation (taxi driver is south asian and the black character in the last trailer is Mister T).
In the CDPR mind, the social state of the world in 2077 will be the same as today, even worse maybe. I think it shows their state of mind.

It's like you're starting to understand the games concept

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Have you ever heard of a woman being called a cocksucker? It is 100% a derogatory term for being gay. It is used specifically as an insult to call someone gay.
Maybe it is to you. I've said it many times over the years to friends and not one single time did I ever say it with that meaning behind it.

See this is the problem. People see something from their POV and that's exactly how they feel others do to. It's simply not the case. I can see how people would view it that way, sure, but don't make a statement saying that it's 100% factual because that's not accurate.

Strange failure to comprehend what I wrote. Asking people not to make dismissive posts saying they don't care about the topic doesn't stop people from disagreeing with each other or myself in the thread. Contribute, that's all my opening calls for.
Should probably be a bit more detailed then if that's what you meant in the OP. Your statement could be taken both ways.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I am also having this issue. Keanu is cool. I like Keanu. I will continue to appreciate the ridiculousness of the moment his character was revealed. It's nothing in terms of making up for the shit that CDPR has done over the past year. I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy this game, which is a shame because it looks great.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Voicing disagreement is contribution. It's just not the contribution you want.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
Looking beyond the scope of CDPR's media fuckups, I'm actually skeptical of what we've seen of the game itself so far. To me it looks very "cyber" but really not very "punk" at all. I always connected the genre with its strong stance on social issues and a general critique of capitalism.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Fortunately, we live in a free market capitalist society where you buy what you want to and there's no pressure to support someone you don't want to.

If you really wanna stick to your guns, don't buy the game at all, not even used.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking beyond the scope of CDPR's media fuckups, I'm actually skeptical of what we've seen of the game itself so far. To me it looks very "cyber" but really not very "punk" at all. I always connected the genre with its strong stance on social issues and a general critique of capitalism.
Yeah, like I said in my first post in this thread, I'm not actually sure the game looks "amazing", so far a lot of excitement comes from the fact that The Witcher 3 was fantastic, and this is by the same guys.

Dec 7, 2018
The way i look at it is, there are hundreds of people working on these games, and i'm sure among those there are going to be people who i disagree with on many issues. So as long as the game itself doesn't push social agenda that bother me I'll get it. Though i do know some people think differently and i totally understand if what has happened soured them on the game.

This right here. We should hold the individuals responsible instead of laying down a blanket of punishment for those who don't feel the same and are there to create art and support themselves or their families.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
It was the reason many many people got banned during the Transphobic Tweet threads, they would come into the heated thread and say "I dont care, I'm buying the game anyway" and it was just ignorant and annoying. They even ignored the mod post telling them not to do that.

Coming into the thread to say that you are above this issue that seriously affects some people serves no purpose and just undermines everyone else.

If you come into a thread like this and say "I don't care, not my problem" you are an asshole. The OP knew this and wanted to stop it from happening again.

but it's still happening anyway because gamers are trash

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Personally, the dialogue thing is whatever. A character could drop the other F word in the game and it wouldn't faze me. That means the character's shitty, not the necessarily the writer. Being a futuristic setting certainly shouldn't indicate bigoted language has gone away, especially if it's a "Dark Future." If there's mountains and mountains and mountains of bullshit still around today, there will be in 58 years.

The company's PR, alleged intense crunch, and iffy representation in past games are entirely different matters.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure why the Witcher games should be a reason to "doubt" CDPR. They had a logical explanation for the world they depicted being so racially homogeneous in that the book series virtually never mentions color. Yet they responded to community concerns and made the Ofieri a pretty substantial part of the first expansion for TW3.

Status
Not open for further replies.