Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
People should watch 2018 footage again then and compare to what they are showing now, PC or even yesterdays console footage. Game has graphically improved quite a bit since 2018 and 2018 footage is rough.

I still trust ERA to sub-pixel count blades of grass and measure puddle locations in game and compare to trailers for possible Gates.

Your probably right, But I feel that city street in the older video wont be like that ingame. Will probably have fewer npc's but have the RT effects which will technically make it better (especially at night) but the less dense crowd and/or with a more aggressive lod is gonna be witcher 3 volumetric smoke and clouds again.

edit: I don't care, but every game release recently has just been drama central and it's tiring having to avoid that drama.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
This is from the Night City Wire event one month ago. Pretty sure there will be a significant difference between consoles and PC. The Series X footage is just the Xbox One version running through backwards compatibility.

ka2fgv787vz51.png
Fantastic, I will definitely wait. It really pulled me out of that footage to see the streets so sparse.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Same. What Im having trouble understanding is how their writing team got so bad. TW3 is one of the best written games, and this...wow, its just so fucking cringy
I doubt they retained most of the developers from The Witcher 3 times if CDPR's treatment of their employees is as terrible as reported.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Sticking to my plans with going for the PC version for now, this way I'll have RT and DLSS 2.0 which should work out fine for performance and graphics, even on my 2060 Laptop, based on my experience with other RT/DLSS titles. As the game is mostly first person, it will probably play better with mouse and keyboard anyway. I might consider getting the game next year, when the next gen updates are ready, in order to play it again on the big TV.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing is if they had the required arbitrary number of NPCs that people want, people would just shift the goal posts to another negative (copy pasted NPCs, lack of animated features on NPCs, lower FPS because of the increased number, etc).

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Indeed, the quality of what we've seen is pretty unrivalled in open world games. Most people only compare this to RDR 2 in ambition.
Performance issues were always on the cards, as long as its not a complete train wreck like 15fps Just Cause 3, it'll be mostly alright.

All that is not to excuse any bugs or performance problems that will arise however.
I hate the constant comparisons to RDR2 and TLOU2 these days. I'm sure the PC and next gen version of this will get added to the list of games people compare to.

Like, of course Assassin's Creed doesn't have as good of facial animations as TLOU2, it has less staff and less time being poured into it.

I think we're at a point where consoles aren't as limiting as resources are, so to compare every game to those that have unprecedented amounts of resources thrown at them is just silly.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
watched the footage again. i remember being slightly disappointed with the art direction when they released the 2018 trailer but i'm not disappointed anymore. the city looks fantastic. i couldn't have dreamed of a better looking cyberpunk city. so all my concerns about the world being too bright or it being too sunny are definitely over. i am still worried a little about the music (though i love the synthwavy song at 1:50 and the techno tune they play in the club). i'm really curious why they are pretty much only showing off rock and rap tracks from the soundtrack so far. they seem to have a lot of good electronic songs too. i'm also not sure about the writing. i have nothing against edge but it comes off as a little too try hard.

Last edited:

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Same. What Im having trouble understanding is how their writing team got so bad. TW3 is one of the best written games, and this...wow, its just so fucking cringy

So you have played/finished the game to come to that conclusion? Writing is not just a 10 minute spliced segment you know... from which you can judge what is probably thousands of script pages written...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious to see how the Stadia version looks in terms of npc density. I've been considering getting that one due to not having a next gen system plus my PC is a bit of a mixed bag specs wise. Have a 2060S with 32 gb ram but an ever creakier 3570k. I also use one of those kinda sorta ssd external drives Samsung makes but it does have a noticeable difference in loading times vs my HDD so perhaps that will help with 2077 wrt pop in/lod.

Even if my perf isn't the greatest on my PC I still want the freedom to tweak certain things and be able to enjoy mods, reshade, trainers etc.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the impression in Xbox gameplay thread reminded me of Witcher 3's over 100 pages downgrade thread on Neogaf. Couple of weeks before the release Witcher 3 was supposed to be the biggest disappointment of the generation and we all know how it turned out.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know i should wait for a few patches before i jump in to the presumably broken PC-version... but it sure isn't going to be easy.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I'm very curious to see how the Stadia version looks in terms of npc density. I've been considering getting that one due to not having a next gen system plus my PC is a bit of a mixed bag specs wise. Have a 2060S with 32 gb ram but an ever creakier 3570k. I also use one of those kinda sorta ssd external drives Samsung makes but it does have a noticeable difference in loading times vs my HDD so perhaps that will help with 2077 wrt pop in/lod.

Even if my perf isn't the greatest on my PC I still want the freedom to tweak certain things and be able to enjoy mods, reshade, trainers etc.
You're gonna have to explain that build to me my friend. I've never seen a system with that much ram and that weak a CPU. I'm dying to know what you use it for :)

I know i should wait for a few patches before i jump in to the presumably broken PC-version... but it sure isn't going to be easy.

BIB is flippancy right? I've not missed some really bad PC footage have I? oO

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I really wanted this to be the first game I played on PS5 tomorrow, Witcher 3 was just that good

Ah well, atleast it's a short delay

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling it the game looks empty and slow...I'll probably wait till next gen patch if I ever buy this game since all the shit they brought to the table...

Leonsito

Oct 30, 2017
Asturias, Spain
I wanted to upgrade my PC or get an XSX to play this game but I'm broke right now so I will have to get the XO version. Looks better than expected, although the framerate problems seems worrying.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Virtually all of the writing they've shown so far is laughably bad, stilted and stereotyped. 80s and early 90s action flick dialogue filtered through future slang.
Yea, I'm a bit concerned about the writing as well. There's a lot of red flags with this game right now for me. The gameplay itself doesn't look hot either.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Getting it for PC and all that jazz hoping it's a graphical showcase but everything I've seen so far looks kinda boring? A lot of walking, out of context talking that wasn't all that compelling, and a shooting section that looked sort of rudimentary. I thought the Witcher 3 was a solid 7 after hating it for years so I'm not the biggest CDPR fan but that setting does interest me, wish what I saw matched how interesting that setting can be.
I know where you are coming from and I am kinda in the same boat. Most open-world-games have to up their actual gameplay mechanics. We don't know yet how this one plays, but many open-world-games still have very mediocre or even bad gameplay with lots of jank. I still enjoy these games a lot, but they could be so much better.

I think Sony and Nintendo are doing a great job with offering open-world games with great gameplay. Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade and Horizon: Zero Dawn are all a blast to play with refined gameplay mechanics that feel good to use. Dragon's Dogma is still king.

These games make it sometimes hard to return to Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Piranha Bytes games or Assassin's Creed which are all janky as fuck and just don't feel good while navigating through the world or doing combat.

Sure, these games have other advantages and like I said I still enjoy them a lot. But I really want them to refine their core gameplay mechanics as well. I mean just imagine the next Elder Scrolls game with combat as tight as Dragon's Dogma ... Curious how Cyberpunk 2077 actually feels while playing, but the shown combat didn't look that great so far.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'd personally love it if worlds became more interactive during the next generation instead of simply acting as window dressing for the combat. Although I do understand that WRPGs are extremely expensive to make. There's a reason why I still consider New Vegas one of the best games of all time and it's not because of the snappy shooting haha.

Oct 31, 2017
Console footage looked great. Gives me hope for the next gen upgrades that will be arriving in 2021.

I'll be getting this for PS5 and PC.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 3700x CPU/1080 GPU, would it be a better idea to play this on PC over PS5? I intended initially to get it on PS5 and maybe get it again on PC later when I upgrade to the 30 series, but I wonder if my pc would still perform better.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
This is just based on the vast majority of big PC releases. I don't have any reason to think it will be worse than lets say The Witcher 3.. a part maybe from them forcing it out before the holiday sales.

Well I didn't had any major problems with Witcher 3 on release.. in fact, it was probably in was in the best state when it comes to open-world games on release.. texture or other graphical bugs? Yeah, but those have every single 3D game.. but there was nothing gamebreaking, the game didn't crashed, it run better than the majority of other big AAA games.. I mean, at that time I didn't even could start Dragon Age Inquisition but Witcher 3 run 30 fps and more on a mix between medium/high/ultra (textures) settings on a dual core CPU (!), 4 GB RAM and GTX650Ti 1 GB

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This is just based on the vast majority of big PC releases. I don't have any reason to think it will be worse than lets say The Witcher 3.. a part maybe from them forcing it out before the holiday sales.
The vast majority of big PC releases run and look better than their console counterparts on launch and have for years now. It not running well is the exception not the rule.

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Witcher 3 ran great on PC at launch, can't even remember running into any noteworthy bugs. Night and day difference with Valhalla to name a recent example.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder how much stuff like pop in will be noticeable when you're actually playing the game? For example I only noticed it during the driving section because I was looking around the game world, normally though I'd just be concentrating on the area around the vehicle when playing so wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

Oct 10, 2020
Was there any recent news about the review embargo? Few months ago there was a claim that final build would be made available for reviews weeks ahead of release.
I'm still trying to decide if I should go with series X or ps5 version.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 months): dismissing concerns around transphobia, ignoring staff post
Some of the impression in Xbox gameplay thread reminded me of Witcher 3's over 100 pages downgrade thread on Neogaf. Couple of weeks before the release Witcher 3 was supposed to be the biggest disappointment of the generation and we all know how it turned out.
this game sure is getting its fair share of drive by shitposts due to all the issues cdpr dug for themselves. the discourse around the game (and company) itself isn't gonna lend itself to much, if any, optimism around here.

personally i thought the series x video looked pretty good overall. would love to see some ps5 footage. the city looks fantastic. some of the dialogue is a bit iffy imo but that's been my only real criticism of what they've shown thus far.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I doubt they retained most of the developers from The Witcher 3 times if CDPR's treatment of their employees is as terrible as reported.

They held a lot of talent and even promoted people from inside to lead positions for 77, but sure like all crunch studios (CDPR, ND, R*...) they also bleed talent steadily as that kind work culture is toxic for ones mental health.

Wonder how much stuff like pop in will be noticeable when you're actually playing the game? For example I only noticed it during the driving section because I was looking around the game world, normally though I'd just be concentrating on the area around the vehicle when playing so wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

For me popin is a lot more noticeable in trailer as you can just look around as you don't need to focus in playing the game, unless it's extremely blatant popin like e.g. BFV has. Large assets popping into existence few meters in front of you in many of the maps.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I hate the constant comparisons to RDR2 and TLOU2 these days. I'm sure the PC and next gen version of this will get added to the list of games people compare to.

Like, of course Assassin's Creed doesn't have as good of facial animations as TLOU2, it has less staff and less time being poured into it.

I think we're at a point where consoles aren't as limiting as resources are, so to compare every game to those that have unprecedented amounts of resources thrown at them is just silly.

Assassin's Creed games have like 1000+ people work on each game to varying degrees. This is easily the worst example of a game that gets less resources than any other game you could possibly pick.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
When literally every single piece of writing shown from a game is bad, it's fair to worry about the quality of the writing.
This place must be crawling with expert script writers... Videogame companies and Hollywood should hire experts such as you, who are able to judge bad writing from spliced 10 min segments out of a huge project... its like taking 4 paragraphs out of a 1000 page book, remove some sentences and erase some words in between them and go out and say, this book must suck...

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Sad thing is if they had the required arbitrary number of NPCs that people want, people would just shift the goal posts to another negative (copy pasted NPCs, lack of animated features on NPCs, lower FPS because of the increased number, etc).
I thought lower number of npc issue was already addressed as contextual in their vids?

It's mentioned that Night City is a dangerous city, where you can literally get murdered, people dont just walk in the open at all times.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Have they discussed if there is a 60fps mode on Series X yet? Or will that have to wait until the 2021 patch? I am honestly probably going to wait to play this until the patch hits.

New Night City WIRE OT thread
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just posted the new Night City WIRE |OT| - so let's move all discussion over there as to not clutter the main page. I will put the console footage video in there as well👍

www.resetera.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Night City WIRE: Episode 5 |OT| Time moves in one direction, memory in another [Media Impressions, Console Footage & Discussion] OT

>Hello again Edgerunners! I have new intel on some more Arasaka and Militech propaganda. There will be a new broadcast dropping on November 19th, 2020 at 6PM CEST/10AM CT/8AM PT. We are all set to decrypt and record the transmission. As per the usual, it will be logged and added to our secure...

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the console footage. A 1080p compressed YouTube video doesn't tell me a whole lot. Would love some direct feed from the Series X at whatever resolution it's running at.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
So you have played/finished the game to come to that conclusion? Writing is not just a 10 minute spliced segment you know... from which you can judge what is probably thousands of script pages written...

I mean........this is a thread about peoples opinions from previee stuff.....and ive watched every bit of footage theyve released. Obvs the full game could be different but literally everything they have released looks bad. And why would they be putting their worst foot forward in previews?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Assassin's Creed games have like 1000+ people work on each game to varying degrees. This is easily the worst example of a game that gets less resources than any other game you could possibly pick.
Odyssey and Origins had 1000.

Valhalla was compared to TLOU2, which had over 2000 and was developed over six years instead of four.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Overall, it is insane what they've pulled off here. I can't think of a better looking open world game on consoles, genuinely impressed. The framerate on Xbox One isn't too hot though, and the slow driving is clearly done to mask some technical issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.