• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
www.polygon.com

It sucks that Cyberpunk 2077’s edgelord marketing worked so well

CD Projekt Red sure has got everybody talking about this game

☝🙏

Not gonna have this slip a page quite yet. It's a valuable read and won't take long to work through between bouts of hype. Really would appreciate people giving it a look if you have a moment spare to do so. It's well written and will help give you a level of further insight from another trans voice.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
www.polygon.com

Great piece from Polygon.

Honestly? It's not, and i'll tell you the two reasons why:

1) Everyone, i can assure you, in my line of work has read Kiuujy's sticky. So, FOR SURE boost the message...but fuck me, give her credit if you basically straight up lift it almost entirely. (but i get that this might be baffling only for someone in my line of work and not for the general audience)

2) The writer clearly shows she knows absolutely nothing about cyberpunk lore nor his creator in multiple parts of the article. Which kind of amazes me because if on one hand everyone should inform themselves before discussing trans issues (as has been pointed out on multiple occasions, and personally i learned certain stats from Kiuujy's aforementioned sticky for the first time), the same regard should be given by any professional writer to the product they are discussing...instead of being "baffled by the fact that a faction uses swords in a tech world!!!!" Just to name one example.
This alone is gonna be the perfect launchpad for the opposition to completely disregard and demolish that article.

So all in all..i think it's lazy and unprofessional, if not harmful to the cause.
Kiuujy already did all of that job and it was more in depth. The writer could have linked to it and added a couple of considerations instead of cobbling up that pastiche.

It's laughable.

Golgotterath

Nov 21, 2020
Hobbes : thank you for sharing your impressions. Couple of QQs:

1) How much level gating have you seen (e.g. areas / items you couldn't go to / use)?
2) Regarding your comments on immersion, is the main beef mostly related to a lack of interaction with the world - or does it come from other parts as well?
3) Besides what you've already shared, what are the biggest letdowns? Asking because your impressions read more as a 8/9 to me, so curious to what else was dissapointing.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably what I'm going to do when I continue playing today is challenge my own opinion on the world building and immersion aspect, and then clarify that here if I can. I feel like my own thoughts and impression so far don't do it justice.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hobbes : thank you for sharing your impressions. Couple of QQs:

1) How much level gating have you seen (e.g. areas / items you couldn't go to / use)?
2) Regarding your comments on immersion, is the main beef mostly related to a lack of interaction with the world - or does it come from other parts as well?
3) Besides what you've already shared, what are the biggest letdowns? Asking because your impressions read more as a 8/9 to me, so curious to what else was dissapointing.

I will be going back into the game in a bit to challenge myself on what I've said and ensure that how I feel is more cemented. A lot of the discussion here has made me want to revisit it just to be sure I can actually come away with a more confident take.

Additionally, I'll address and clarify more thoughts on what I do and don't like and why later. I kinda expect by Sunday I'll have beaten the game.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Probably what I'm going to do when I continue playing today is challenge my own opinion on the world building and immersion aspect, and then clarify that here if I can. I feel like my own thoughts and impression so far don't do it justice.

Maybe take the weekend of just playing the game and hold off on answering any more questions until you feel you've played enough?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
www.polygon.com

Great piece from Polygon.

I really think it's a great article. This in particular:

The much bigger issue is that Cyberpunk 2077 has demonstrated that this new form of populist video game marketing can not only be successful, but it can lead fans to form unbreakable bonds with a game they haven't even played yet.
What's most depressing though isn't how loyal CDPR's fanbase has been throughout all this controversy, but all the controversy CDPR has deliberately decided to put them through. They might have genuinely meant well with the Mix It Up poster the first time. But to harken back to it in the cosplay contest, to keep joking around about vagina options, to play into racial stereotypes: Those are all active choices. CDPR has a fanbase that would follow them to the ends of the earth, but rather than take those fans somewhere positive and progressive, rather than use their unique position to tackle the rampant discrimination and toxicity in the gaming community, they've played to the lowest common denominator every time.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
What I meant was that you are limited to which shops and buildings you can go into and interact with. I was expecting a lot more choice and freedom in that regard.

Like you will see a plethora of street vendors all over the place but can only buy from the little restaurant around the block.
Is there a performance mode on Xbox One X? If so, hows that? Hows performance in general?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

1) Everyone, i can assure you, in my line of work has read Kiuujy's sticky. So, FOR SURE boost the message...but fuck me, give her credit if you basically straight up lift it almost entirely. (but i get that this might be baffling only for someone in my line of work and not for the general audience)

2) The writer clearly shows she knows absolutely nothing about cyberpunk lore nor his creator in multiple parts of the article. Which kind of amazes me because if on one hand everyone should inform themselves before discussing trans issues (as has been pointed out on multiple occasions, and personally i learned certain stats from Kiuujy's aforementioned sticky for the first time), the same regard should be given by any professional writer to the product they are discussing...instead of being "baffled by the fact that a faction uses swords in a tech world!!!!" Just to name one example.
This alone is gonna be the perfect launchpad for the opposition to completely disregard and demolish that article.

So all in all..i think it's lazy and unprofessional, if not harmful to the cause.
Kiuujy already did all of that job and it was more in depth. The writer could have linked to it and added a couple of considerations instead of cobbling up that pastiche.

It's laughable.
I appreciate the first point, but it's worth noting that numerous trans people beside myself have been saying as much in each case. I just finally brought it together to stop the perpetual acting from users here that they were minor or isolated incidents. For as much my sake in not having to repeatedly post and reword the same things page in page out, as giving a broader understanding in and of itself. There's also the fact that it's easily disregarded as being a forum post – and I'm not one to self-aggrandize by reposting it somewhere else once it gained traction. So having the points echoed from somewhere like Polygon has an inherent merit to it that my post lacks. It does also tilt the prism on a number of the issues to address a broader concern around the marketing, that's an important point to explore too.

It's nice of you to touch on the reach it has had though, that's warming to hear.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've been seeing a lot of questions and answers that are veering right into spoiler territory...please please please make use of the designated spoiler thread and respect the people that want to go into this game unspoiled.

www.resetera.com

Cyberpunk 2077 - Spoiler Thread Spoiler

First of all: I know mods want to keep CP2077 threads at a minimum due to the controversy around CDPR. But since evidence of copies being out in the wild have recently been posted along with 20 minutes of leaked PS4 Pro footage - and a few people requested a Spoiler Thread to keep the NW threads...

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe take the weekend of just playing the game and hold off on answering any more questions until you feel you've played enough?

I'll probably hold off on answering questions on how I feel about the game till a certain point.

I'll still absolutely answer any mechanical / general questions.

Is there a performance mode on Xbox One X? If so, hows that? Hows performance in general?

None that I know of. I don't see any options in the menu for it.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I get where you're saying, but I believe that the game should be compared to other games sometimes

Like, RDR 2 is considered the most lived in and ambitious open world title ever.

But you can't enter every building, or sit on every bench, or buy from every vendor ...

Maybe you were expecting more freedom due to the insane hype. I believe this will be the case with a lot of people.
Well that and also he's just not far enough in the game, ppl who played 16 hrs were saying they feel like they barely scratched the surface. Listening to the Q&A deep dive yesterday they mentioned how different vendors become available to you depending on the class you chose and where you're at in the story too. The game will surely disappoint some just because of the insane amount of hype, but overall I'd be shocked if it were anything short of an amazing experience.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's also the fact that it's easily disregarded as being a forum post
It's nice of you to touch on the reach it has had though, that's warming to hear.

As someone who used to work in this industry on the media side, I can also back that up that tons of people have seen it and don't discount it. I guess it would surprise you to know that tons of journos and devs visit but don't post. Lots of people I know frequently follow threads and get news from here.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
www.polygon.com

☝🙏

Not gonna have this slip a page quite yet. It's a valuable read and won't take long to work through between bouts of hype. Really would appreciate people giving it a look if you have a moment spare to do so. It's well written and will help give you a level of further insight from another trans voice.

great read! i expect more outlets to talk about this.

the fact you can't even post the smallest critique to anything Cyberpunk that people jump on your face to defend it w/o even playing shows how successful CDPR was with the gathering of the fanbase.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As someone who used to work in this industry on the media side, I can also back that up that tons of people have seen it and don't discount it. I guess it would surprise you to know that tons of journos and devs visit but don't post. Lots of people I know frequently follow threads and get news from here.
Hey, that's kind of you to mention. Definitely far more than I hoped for on writing it. I'm glad that it's given people things to mull over and a voice to the issues in general.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil

It's laughable.
I think you were kinda harsh regarding a piece that broadens thoses issues to a wider audience, so I don't think it is ''laughable, lazy and unprofessional". I just wanted to bring this here because I knew it would reinforce all the great points Kyuuji made in the sticky thread. And I don't know what your line of work is nor I know you, so I'm sorry for anything.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think you were kinda harsh regarding a piece that broadens thoses issues to a wider audience, so I don't think it is ''laughable, lazy and unprofessional". I just wanted to bring this here because I knew it would reinforce all the great points Kyuuji made in the sticky thread. And I don't know what your line of work is nor I know you, so I'm sorry for anything.

Absolutely no need to be sorry, and you don't have to justify to ME why you brought it here. I said right away that i can appreciate the signal boosting side of this.
Still doesn't change my opinion on that particular piece ;)

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My favorite moment in RDR 2, when it comes to absolutely shattering any shred of immersion, was when I came across scripted event of someone being chased for having committed crime (I guess). I helped chaser to catch him and then three of them just stood there. I stood with them for good while and nothing happened.

That was definitely a bug, though.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
www.polygon.com

☝🙏

Good article, I'm glad at least some outlets are keeping this in conversation still.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020

It's laughable.
To be fair, they would say the article knows nothing of cyberpunk even if the author showed they had researched it exhaustively. Those who would discredit the article and all of its merits solely because of a query on why a group would use swords in a cyberpunk world were never interested in good faith discussions in their attempts to discredit it. And they'd instead just gatekeep it by saying that 'you just don't get cyberpunk' or any number of vapid statements.

Does it give more firepower to those who would discredit it? Sure. But adding a 2x4 to a forest fire doesn't change the intensity of the flames.

The article was absolutely needed, and hey, we can always hope even more are on the way that address things such as that potential misstep as well. There is no way I can potentially see it as harmful.

I'd like to say: It is totally okay to have some grievances with how things are addressed, or to hope for something that touches on other areas. I can get that and appreciate the critical eye. But I think instead of directing that critique towards our biggest area of coverage yet, we could instead ask for more pieces providing this coverage that can touch more on the nuances involved with some areas of cyberpunk as well.

Last edited:

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love Disco Elysium. Never beat it but had a blast. Life circumstances related to COVID knocked me off. Was kinda waiting for the fabled Switch port (was hoping for cross save w steam like D:OS2). It's still scheduled for this year LOL. I suppose it could instantly drop at any time...but still. Nothing from the devs is bad. You would think they would communicate more.

Not a big fan of RDR2 btw. Needed to put headphones on to enjoy it and feel immersed. Gameplay and encounters were bad. Was not on the wavelength of any characters at all until the final act. None of the immersive qualities did much for me. My reaction was more or less "oh das cool I guess. Wish I cared about this world enough to care about this." Hunting was very realistic and had potential, but so many things were thrown out of the window for me cause gameplay just didn't cut it. If you can't get into the world, and you don't have sympathy for the story, it's just not a game for you. Which is also the same probably for cyberpunk 2077, and Witcher 3, which I loved.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Had no idea you could do this on Xbox, I just tried it and it worked.

Used the XBox Beta app to search for the game, selected "download to console", and now it's currently downloading to my XBox One X. Means when I get my physical copy next week I should only need to download the patch?

Word of warning though if you have a Series X, people in the Twitter thread said they tried this with Assassins Creed Valhalla and it actually created two conflicting game installs. They had to delete both and start again.

yeah, this is great. my "home console buddy" agreed to purchase this, but bought it from some website that apparently won't email out the digital code until launch. with my shitty rural internet, it'll take a few days to download - thankfully, because of this, i'm downloading now :)

but of course it wont much matter anyway because there will be a hefty day one download regardless. :(

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017

Had no idea you could do this on Xbox, I just tried it and it worked.

Used the XBox Beta app to search for the game, selected "download to console", and now it's currently downloading to my XBox One X. Means when I get my physical copy next week I should only need to download the patch?

Word of warning though if you have a Series X, people in the Twitter thread said they tried this with Assassins Creed Valhalla and it actually created two conflicting game installs. They had to delete both and start again.

This is a really smart idea

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, this is great. my "home console buddy" agreed to purchase this, but bought it from some website that apparently won't email out the digital code until launch. with my shitty rural internet, it'll take a few days to download - thankfully, because of this, i'm downloading now :)

but of course it wont much matter anyway because there will be a hefty day one download regardless. :(

The hope is the day one patch will be up a day or 2 early. The preload available on Xbox includes the 43gb patch that went out to disc owners so hopefully the actual day one patch isn't too big.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RDR 2 immersivness came from slow burn pace, pseudo survival mechanics and just sheer fidelity and art direction of the world itself. I never mess with the systems or try to do all those mini games , since theres no real narrative tied to it. Wish more bounties were available tho. Those were the best unique content. The world events themselves repeated way too often to make positive impact and the less we talk about main mission design and shooting the better.
Idk how immersive cyberpunk gonna be, but w3 was plenty immersive due to art direction , narrative, character writing, music and just overall eastern european feel of depressing piss and shit filled world . The reactivity/immersion itself via ncps and systems around it was rigid as fuck , even AC 1 had better crowd dynamics and reactivity .
I think cyberpunks gonna be a step up in that, but its still narrative focused open world rpg from CDPR . Its not gonna touch bethesda approach to their open world designs nor R* sheer scale and polish

jamesasam110

Dec 2, 2020
www.polygon.com

☝🙏

Thank you for posting this, I was never aware of all these issues with CDPR and I really hope they address them

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
To be fair, they would say the article knows nothing of cyberpunk even if the author showed they had researched it exhaustively. Those who would discredit the article and all of its merits solely because of a query on why a group would use swords in a cyberpunk world were never interested in good faith discussions in their attempts to discredit it. And they'd just gatekeep it by saying that 'you just don't get cyberpunk' or any number of vapid statements.

Does it give more firepower to those who would discredit it? Sure. But adding a 2x4 to a forest fire doesn't change the intensity of the flames.

The article was absolutely needed, and hey, we can always hope even more are on the way that address things such as that potential misstep as well.

See the problem is (my opinion!) that the only true way to be REALLY heard when tackling an issue that faces opposition and try to broaden the views or even just have people empathyze and understand, is to be absolutely spotless and clear.
Do ALL the due diligence and make sure you know what you talk about in and out.

Otherwise it's gonna show a super easy chink in the armor, and to expect the defence force to not aim at the Achilles heel you just showed is foolish.
I think that an article like that will only serve a purpose of clicks and self promotion, without creating any kind of reasoned discussion.
Thus leaving the two opposing sides exactly where they were before.

So again, yes: it's signal boosting, and i get that this alone has some value and merit in itself.
Unfortunately i think it's an extremely lazy and irresponsible way to do it, just (to quote you) like trowing a 2x4 in a burning forest...it won't add much to the fire, but it sure as fuck won't make people eager to venture into the forest itself.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
RDR 2 immersivness came from slow burn pace, pseudo survival mechanics and just sheer fidelity and art direction of the world itself. I never mess with the systems or try to do all those mini games , since theres no real narrative tied to it. Wish more bounties were available tho. Those were the best unique content. The world events themselves repeated way too often to make positive impact and the less we talk about main mission design and shooting the better.
Idk how immersive cyberpunk gonna be, but w3 was plenty immersive due to art direction , narrative, character writing, music and just overall eastern european feel of depressing piss and shit filled world . The reactivity/immersion itself via ncps and systems around it was rigid as fuck , even AC 1 had better crowd dynamics and reactivity .
I think cyberpunks gonna be a step up in that, but its still narrative focused open world rpg from CDPR . Its not gonna touch bethesda approach to their open world designs nor R* sheer scale and polish

Idk, from what Hobbs is saying I think it might actually be a step down?

One element that was really immersive in TW3 was all the unique dialogue that all the random NPCs had, as well as just incredible world design. But it was also third person, so it could get away with suggesting details rather than seeing them up close under scrutiny

I think what Hobbs is saying is that, going first person the bar for immersion was raised, and that cyberpunk actually doesnt meet that bar and is less immersive than TW3

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I have an extra Xbox collectors edition pre-ordered if anyone wants it before I cancel it I will sell it at 267 which is msrp with taxes

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
See the problem is (my opinion!) that the only true way to be REALLY heard when tackling an issue that faces opposition and try to broaden the views or even just have people empathyze and understand, is to be absolutely spotless and clear.
Do ALL the due diligence and make sure you know what you talk about in and out.

Otherwise it's gonna show a super easy chink in the armor, and to expect the defence force to not aim at the Achilles heel you just showed is foolish.
I think that an article like that will only serve a purpose of clicks and self promotion, without creating any kind of reasoned discussion.
Thus leaving the two opposing sides exactly where they were before.

So again, yes: it's signal boosting, and i get that this alone has some value and merit in itself.
Unfortunately i think it's an extremely lazy and irresponsible way to do it, just (to quote you) like trowing a 2x4 in a burning forest...it won't add much to the fire, but it sure as fuck won't make people eager to venture into the forest itself.
I get where you are coming from. Trust me, I also have my own issues with the posting, notably that the timing has come much too late to likely be of import. But the signal boosting is just as important, and someone has to take the first step. It may not be perfect this time, but maybe someone else can follow up with a more pointed article that they can't attack. And honestly a lot of people still haven't heard of the issues.

I view it as a first step, not the last one. My hope is that we see pieces that can do as you say start to come out from other outlets. And if that facilitates that, then I am more than happy with it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I liked how Polygon's article talks about the community they garnered.

CDPR has always had these stances that got so much goodwill from the gaming community. They've always been anti-DRM and offered free substantial updates. I remember how I was surprised by how nice the physical 360 version of The Witcher 2 was when I picked it up back in 2012. The problem is that from 2014 onwards - with Gamergate and everything - this "pro-gamer" stance started to attract the vilest people and CDPR never did anything about it. They either don't care or pretend not to see the fact that a lot of their messaging attracts the absolute scum of the gaming community.

As the writer says, they've garnered a lot of goodwill in the industry and could take their community in a positive direction. Instead, they've started pandering even more to the Reddit Gamers Rise Up crowd while cowardly hiding in the "We're apolitical" stance when called out for anything bad they've done. And we all know which crowd gaming companies are trying to pander to when they say they are apolitical. Cyberpunk's marketing - maybe because of the theme of the game, maybe because of how the world changed since 2015 - got even edgier and seems to have attracted even worse people. All this considered, it's no surprise that transphobia came with it. And because it's easier to get with (not so) veiled transphobia in 2020 than racism or homophobia, it became a somewhat common occurrence.

I still believe the game will be "good" and do believe they have good writers that will handle the themes at least a little more tactfully than this edge-lord GTA marketing has. But even then, it's hard to deny that, when it comes to politics¹, the company culture is, at the very least, a bit rotten.

It's a shame, really. The Witcher is one of my favorite videogames franchises of all time and - despite all their problems when it comes to race and gender - I do believe they are all genuinely great games. I really want to like Cyberpunk and I do hope to find a lot to like in the game, but it's a real turnoff to see how the developer behind the game actively feeds some of the worst aspects of the videogames industry and community.

¹ - Not even talking about crunch because, while it is obviously a problem, it goes much deeper. The politics and pandering to GG crowd is a problem a bit more unique to CDPR.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

☝🙏

Amazing article of all the awful shit that transpired for years. The marketing of the game was truly atrocious, every time a vile tweet or response popped up, so many of us were confused about what was going on entering those threads. I'm also curious if R. Talsorian games and Pondsmith commented on any of the trans rights issues and the game's distasteful social media comments. I always say I would like to see if the writing is done with tact, but considering the Cosplay trash and the in game advertisement designs I sincerely doubt it. I'm looking forward to checking out the game world, but it's definitely been bothersome for years knowing that these are the bigoted views broadcasted so readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.