• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really dont think we can have cyberpunk hype threads while also trying to condemn it for its transphobia. Honestly if the mods want to take a stance they would outright ban this game and cdpr as a whole from discussion on this site. Does it seem extreme, yes, but what is unnacceptable is the tension boiling across both threads, and on resetera, which should be a safe space for marginalized folks, there shouldnt tension when it comes to be accommodating a comfortable space for the trans community. Ban the game, you might lose some folks but its for the greater good. Their are other sites and forums to discuss cyberpunk on, this doesnt necessarily need to be one of them. And im saying this as someone who is excited for the game. I expect the op and review threads will be toxic as fuck, and we definitely dont need that here.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont think we can have cyberpunk hype threads while also trying to condemn it for its transphobia. Honestly if the mods want to take a stance they would outright ban this game and cdpr as a whole from discussion on this site. Does it seem extreme, yes, but what is unnacceptable is the tension boiling across both threads, and on resetera, which should be a safe space for marginalized folks, there shouldnt tension when it comes to be accommodating a comfortable space for the trans community. Ban the game, you might lose some folks but its for the greater good. Their are other sites and forums to discuss cyberpunk on, this doesnt necessarily need to be one of them. And im saying this as someone who is excited for the game. I expect the op and review threads will be toxic as fuck, and we definitely dont need that here.

or we can all just be adults and let both types of posts exist; read them and engage if you are mature enough to do so.

The only problem comes when people take posts as an attack and go back and forth not so subtly calling each others names. The trans users have the right to post their concerns and feelings and have conversations based around that and that should not ruin a thread. Shit only gets toxic if people go there. The common phrase is shut up and listen. So do that; make of it what you will; and engage accordantly. Not sure why this is so hard really. The whole point of forums is that multiple conversations can happen at the same time even those who are at odds or vastly different in tone. This all or nothing approach only alienates and leads to bad conversations full of people who are ignorant, coming it at it all wrong or whatever.

Honestly this thread currently is fine. People are posting about what they want and people are either engaging or not. Thats the best you are going to get.

Nov 2, 2017
i believe a review thread would be good

Review threads are toxic cesspools in general, even before you mix in all the toxicity of C77.

A Cyberpunk review thread is going to need some of those nuclear waste dump warning messages attached. "This is not a place of honor. Nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This place is best left shunned and uninhabited." would be a pretty fitting warning for such a thread.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got time today....

What a pathetic situation overall. I've been monitoring and watching it slowly devolve into the shitshow that's currently taking place over this game on this forum and it's nothing short of embarrassing.

I've been listening and reading and now I'm ready to speak.

There was nothing difficult about finding a solution to the origin of this fallout. The problem is that some of you just don't fucking care. Everyone involved would have a much easier time if the actors involved would just admit that instead of putting on this fake as fuck "ally" mask charade and then turning it to a victim complex.

It's annoying as hell because the solutions were so easy, the fact people listed them in this thread proves it didn't take a speck of brain power to come up with them, just an ounce of actually giving a damn.

1. Start the OT thread with a "A Word from Kyujii/TransERA. You already reserve posts in the an OT thread to set up your graphic formatting, right?

Oh so you have space.. put a goddamn forward to frame the situation. If you can't write it, someone from TransERA would have no problems doing that for you. Add a link that goes back to Kyujiis thread for reference. This is completed in one fucking PM

2. Ask a mod to add a Staff Comm with a brief detail that can link back to the OT Forward and Kyujiis Thread. This is completed in one fucking PM

What is so damn difficult about that? Why could it not be agreed to on the first ask? That's why this all blew up, because it was the most basic bottom line olive branch one could do and it was met with political non answer bullshit. That shows character and intent. It's clear as day that something so small bothered Chamber so much, but yet some wanna come after the fact and say this was always the plan.

Theres 0 reason why it couldnt be agreed to in public outside of just lack of interest. It's a goddamn Video Game OT, not some NDA contract with barred info till release day like BC wants to pretend it is.

And then people want to parade his "effort" like it's some hard job requiring sacrifice. Get real. You're a fan on a forum like the rest of us.

CDPR isn't over Chamber's shoulder beating him with a stick to make a hype train. Let alone the fact that if he didn't do it, it's not like it would never exist seeing this is one of the biggest releases in a long time for the industry. He chose to do this on his own. And the reality is, he chose to do it for a game in which both the game and the developers have a shit track record towards TransFolk. You can't just ignore that. It's baked into the product. So I'm not understanding why the thought process is "La La La, I wanna enjoy the game"

The game marginalizes and exploits Transpeople for its setting. This shit doesn't exist in a bubble. Far too many people base their shitty worldviews off media they consume, and damaging portrayals of TransPeople only helps to further that marginalization and discrimination they already face.

It doesn't even make sense from a self preservation angle. This game will be parsed through with a fine tooth comb. If there are more examples of Transphobia or even Racism.. this little nerd party definitely won't have a pot to piss in nor a leg to stand on in regards to criticism. (One could argue they already don't)

Why in the hell would you not try to jump in front it? Why not acknowledge the problems that are there and pledge to create a dialogue to counter those issues? That's why this shit blew up, because some just dont fucking care

The victim complex being developed over this is fucking laughable.

"I wanna enjoy the game!"

You already are and it's not even out yet. You comb every fucking site for every speck and crumb of information for this game. You watch every video. You joined your CP Discord server (which that's where y'all will be during the Launch Day OT Ban, you're most likely complaining about this situation now in there) You preordered the Collectors Edition, You preloaded the game. You will obsess over the Review Scores, and whine endlessly about outlets that score low...

Where the fuck are you not enjoying the game?

Oh, it's when People remind you about CDPRs shitty behavior and conduct, that's when you feel not allowed to enjoy the game.

What a fucking joke, that's transphobic as fuck to even dare make that statement. To even try to simulate oppression over being reminded that a video game you enjoy has shitty hurtful elements.

So many posters in this thread come across as baby shit soft. TransFolk live their lives on a daily basis with constant threats of outright Violence and Murder, Fetishization, Lack of Access to Medical Care, Discrimination, Ostracization not just from greater society but their own racial groups even. Quite simply damn near hated by everyone..

but y'all have the gall to whine about your entertainment being ruined over a real discussion?

A lot of you clearly wouldn't last a fucking day in the life of a transgender person.

Im not Trans. I don't have to be to fucking give a shit about their plight. I don't subscribe to this "ally" bullshit y'all love so much. I'm a part of the fight. I'm a part of the struggle for TransPeople to be seen and heard. I listen when I need to listen, I will speak when I need to speak. I don't talk over or talk for TransPeople, I echo them. And if one day I ever get it wrong, I will damn well make sure I don't ever make that fucking mistake again.

My only suggestion to TransERA, if anything, is that they are being TOO NICE. They spoke too obvious off site trolls at face value and good faith. They have constantly controlled their language to make the discussion more tolerable. They reached their hand out and some of you spat in it. You actually tried to take them for fools. And some of you had the fucking nerve to even go ahead and try to tone police them further. Absolutely utter bullshit.

I'm incensed over this shit, I hate seeing bigotry and the apathy over it with every fiber of my being. It's this lack of giving a fuck that leads to these situations in the first place. And the Gaming "Community" is full of this shit.

Gaming is not a little white boys club anymore (it never was). The industry and its patrons will continue to become more and more diverse. If studios and game products don't want to account for that, expect more "criticism" and "outrage". That "duck your head and stay in your lan bullshit is over. People will speak out. This entire forum is based off that concept but clearly for some it's a pick and choose thing. Y'all wanna scream about game pricing and dlc controversies, but bury your head in the sand over shit that affects real people

Fuck all of that.

It's situations like this that make people not want to associate with being a "Gamer". There's just too many people who portray themselves with infantile understanding, obsessive consumerism and absolute lack of empathy to make any association with that word appealing.

When will y'all actually mature into adults? Call me when that happens

Everyone is welcome to do so 💯

quoting this for the next page, well said! Sadly, people won't care and place us on ignore if they haven't already. It's tragically clear that most of the one's posting here truly don't give a shit about transera or their human rights. The silence from the mods is also deafening. I know they are watching this so hopefully they are in a group discussion. It's like I said yesterday, the mods and admins cannot fence sit anymore. You cannot say you're for trans rights and then allow a hype thread for a transphobic company. At the very least, let a mod handle the OP for this and for hogwarts legacy and that's just the bear minimum. I get that gaming is a major part of the forum but it's not entirely what this place is about. We're supposed to be inclusive to LGTBA+, minoritiies, all walks of life but we've been failing them constantly. We failed AsiaEra, TransEra, and others. Right now, the only thing separating us from the other guys is the fact that our site owner isn't a sexual predator and that mask we are wearing right now. That mask is falling off though so action needs to be taken.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So did that guy who did the review actually release footage of it? Or did he just talk about it?

I haven't watched it, but from what they said it seems like this is a blanket ban for any kind of impressions/reviews, footage or not, from any non-press related outlet prior to the Dec 9th embargo.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

What a pathetic situation overall. I've been monitoring and watching it slowly devolve into the shitshow that's currently taking place over this game on this forum and it's nothing short of embarrassing.

There was nothing difficult about finding a solution to the origin of this fallout. The problem is that some of you just don't fucking care. Everyone involved would have a much easier time if the actors involved would just admit that instead of putting on this fake as fuck "ally" mask charade and then turning it to a victim complex.

It's annoying as hell because the solutions were so easy, the fact people listed them in this thread proves it didn't take a speck of brain power to come up with them, just an ounce of actually giving a damn.

1. Start the OT thread with a "A Word from Kyujii/TransERA. You already reserve posts in the an OT thread to set up your graphic formatting, right?

Oh so you have space.. put a goddamn forward to frame the situation. If you can't write it, someone from TransERA would have no problems doing that for you. Add a link that goes back to Kyujiis thread for reference. This is completed in one fucking PM

2. Ask a mod to add a Staff Comm with a brief detail that can link back to the OT Forward and Kyujiis Thread. This is completed in one fucking PM

What is so damn difficult about that? Why could it not be agreed to on the first ask? That's why this all blew up, because it was the most basic bottom line olive branch one could do and it was met with political non answer bullshit. That shows character and intent. It's clear as day that something so small bothered Chamber so much, but yet some wanna come after the fact and say this was always the plan.

Theres 0 reason why it couldnt be agreed to in public outside of just lack of interest. It's a goddamn Video Game OT, not some NDA contract with barred info till release day like BC wants to pretend it is.

And then people want to parade his "effort" like it's some hard job requiring sacrifice. Get real. You're a fan on a forum like the rest of us.

CDPR isn't over Chamber's shoulder beating him with a stick to make a hype train. Let alone the fact that if he didn't do it, it's not like it would never exist seeing this is one of the biggest releases in a long time for the industry. He chose to do this on his own. And the reality is, he chose to do it for a game in which both the game and the developers have a shit track record towards TransFolk. You can't just ignore that. It's baked into the product. So I'm not understanding why the thought process is "La La La, I wanna enjoy the game"

The game marginalizes and exploits Transpeople for its setting. This shit doesn't exist in a bubble. Far too many people base their shitty worldviews off media they consume, and damaging portrayals of TransPeople only helps to further that marginalization and discrimination they already face.

It doesn't even make sense from a self preservation angle. This game will be parsed through with a fine tooth comb. If there are more examples of Transphobia or even Racism.. this little nerd party definitely won't have a pot to piss in nor a leg to stand on in regards to criticism. (One could argue they already don't)

Why in the hell would you not try to jump in front it? Why not acknowledge the problems that are there and pledge to create a dialogue to counter those issues? That's why this shit blew up, because some just dont fucking care

You already are and it's not even out yet. You comb every fucking site for every speck and crumb of information for this game. You watch every video. You joined your CP Discord server (which that's where y'all will be during the Launch Day OT Ban, you're most likely complaining about this situation now in there) You preordered the Collectors Edition, You preloaded the game. You will obsess over the Review Scores, and whine endlessly about outlets that score low...

Oh, it's when People remind you about CDPRs shitty behavior and conduct, that's when you feel not allowed to enjoy the game.

What a fucking joke, that's transphobic as fuck to even dare make that statement. To even try to simulate oppression over being reminded that a video game you enjoy has shitty hurtful elements.

So many posters in this thread come across as baby shit soft. TransFolk live their lives on a daily basis with constant threats of outright Violence and Murder, Fetishization, Lack of Access to Medical Care, Discrimination, Ostracization not just from greater society but their own racial groups even. Quite simply damn near hated by everyone..

but y'all have the gall to whine about your entertainment being ruined over a real discussion?

A lot of you clearly wouldn't last a fucking day in the life of a transgender person.

Im not Trans. I don't have to be to fucking give a shit about their plight. I don't subscribe to this "ally" bullshit y'all love so much. I'm a part of the fight. I'm a part of the struggle for TransPeople to be seen and heard. I listen when I need to listen, I will speak when I need to speak. I don't talk over or talk for TransPeople, I echo them. And if one day I ever get it wrong, I will damn well make sure I don't ever make that fucking mistake again.

My only suggestion to TransERA, if anything, is that they are being TOO NICE. They spoke too obvious off site trolls at face value and good faith. They have constantly controlled their language to make the discussion more tolerable. They reached their hand out and some of you spat in it. You actually tried to take them for fools. And some of you had the fucking nerve to even go ahead and try to tone police them further. Absolutely utter bullshit.

I'm incensed over this shit, I hate seeing bigotry and the apathy over it with every fiber of my being. It's this lack of giving a fuck that leads to these situations in the first place. And the Gaming "Community" is full of this shit.

Gaming is not a little white boys club anymore (it never was). The industry and its patrons will continue to become more and more diverse. If studios and game products don't want to account for that, expect more "criticism" and "outrage". That "duck your head and stay in your lan bullshit is over. People will speak out. This entire forum is based off that concept but clearly for some it's a pick and choose thing. Y'all wanna scream about game pricing and dlc controversies, but bury your head in the sand over shit that affects real people

Fuck all of that.

It's situations like this that make people not want to associate with being a "Gamer". There's just too many people who portray themselves with infantile understanding, obsessive consumerism and absolute lack of empathy to make any association with that word appealing.

Amazing post. Put into words everything I've been thinking but wouldn't be able to word without getting banned.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

Fuck all of that.

Thank you for this great post. Got me tearing up reading it, honestly.

wonkybump

Apr 29, 2020

well shit. This may have not been a review copy but he's got a channel he reviews games on with quite an audience so no wonder they shot it down as embargo breach.

Didn't watch it as those "spoiler-free" impression videos are usually full of spoilers anyway. One thing I'm curious tho, can you upgrade V in totally unrelated skill tree paths? Like stealth hacker mixed with perks for heavy guns etc, is it all organically developing via playstyle as promised?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched it, but from what they said it seems like this is a blanket ban for any kind of impressions/reviews, footage or not, from any non-press related outlet prior to the Dec 9th embargo.
no wonder they shot it down as embargo breach.

I mean, if this is the case, they are literally DMCAing people who are protected under fair use if they aren't showing footage, and additionally, people who don't sign embargoes aren't entitled to comply with them.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Fuck all of that.

Good goddess above.

Honestly not sure what to say other than to say thank you for taking the time and showing that you care about minorities with such passion. I know many of us are very, very grateful.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched Xbox driving footage with choppy animations, broken physics, unloaded textures, and lots of clipping.

Wish I could share but I don't know how.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Ya, them taking that video down is a yikes from me. The guy got his copy from a retailer, so he is not under embargo. He also did not include any captured gameplay, or discuss spoilers (which, even if he did, is not not grounds for a DMCA takedown).

Not a good look at all 🙄

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this DigitalOp.

If talk about the transphobia shown makes someone uncomfortable, the response should not be, "I just want to be excited about the game and this is bringing me down." Newsflash, if you want to consider yourself even an ally to marginalized communities, stuff like this SHOULD bring you down. It should make you ask questions. And it most definitely should mean that you support said community and what they are saying over the hype you want to have. We need to be better about being critical about things we love. And in this case, it's something a majority of us don't even know if we actually do yet. If you can talk about gameplay issues you have with games, but can't talk about damaging and harmful representation therein, well, learn to be better.
This is a really great post.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, them taking that video down is a yikes from me. The guy got his copy from a retailer, so he is not under embargo. He also did not include any captured gameplay, or discuss spoilers (which, even if he did, is not not grounds for a DMCA takedown).

Not a good look at all 🙄

Game isn't out for the general public. They don't want spoilers just floating around out there. Don't see the issue to be honest

Dec 20, 2017

Not a good look at all 🙄

Is it possible it's just an auto takedown from a bot or something? Can't imagine someone's manually taking these down.

Jun 6, 2020
...this is straight-up gas lighting. Or delusional grandeur. Or both.

Like, none of you are admitting that you all would rather have your interactive fun at the expense of the lives which societies deem "undesirable" as you all make your victory laps around the exile of Trans members of this very forum in the guise of victimhood and justice. The funniest thing about all of this is that...you could have said nothing about this particular topic or could have just been courteous about the feelings of those who are not comfortable about what a product is offering. But no, you all just couldn't help yourselves but treat the concerns of bigotry as a difference of opinion in an attempt to invalidate their suffering...for what? Not to feel guilty about purchasing this particular video game would be the obvious answer but let's be real: it's all about being part of the higher end of the food chain in civilization, thus you all push and hold down those who are trying to put an end to such an unfair reality even if their way is just pointing out a wrong (or more) about something.

Much of humanity wants the Trans Community banished and dead. Simple as that. Every time you defy their outcries, the more you add to the hate and apathy they have to deal with, day in and day out.

And if somehow, someway you are truly naïve about all of this…

Just.

Listen.

I want to argue against this, but I'm not sure I can. And that is truly depressing.

Kiryani

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Did the guy specifically say in his video that this wasn't the full product he was reviewing?

it just seems weird to me that CDPR would be cool with that is essentially alpha code being reviewed as the final product.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck all of that.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I mean, if this is the case, they are literally DMCAing people who are protected under fair use if they aren't showing footage, and additionally, people who don't sign embargoes aren't entitled to comply with them.
I managed to see like 90% of the video before it got taken down. He didn't show a single frame of the game and was completely spoiler free in his discussion.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Not a good look at all 🙄

I agree. You're totally right. Sadly, an aggressive suppression effort is very on-brand for them judging by their actions and how they conducted such a bold populist marketing strategy for this game.

wonkybump

Apr 29, 2020
ok you have a point there.
I'm not claiming I know how it works, I don't know what he revealed in the material either but somehow I don't think CDPR would be as reckless as to break the law now if it wasn't warranted enough

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, he can obviously appeal it. Since I didn't watch it, I have no idea if he had footage in it. If he had unreleased footage, then the DMCA would stand.

Zero footage. And he clarifies that he bought that copy, is not send by CD Projekt or anything. And, above that, it was a pretty positive and hype-inducing video. I don't understand the DMCA...

Nov 2, 2017
ok you have a point there.
I'm not claiming I know how it works, I don't know what he revealed in the material either but somehow I don't think CDPR would be as reckless as to break the law now if it wasn't warranted enough

hahahahahahahahahaha

DMCA abuse is normalized as fuck.

How is it dmca abuse exactly? The product isn't out to the general public.

Whether or not the game is in the hands of the general public is not an element of the DMCA. It literally does not matter if it is pre-release or post-release for the DMCA analysis.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): : Excessive hostility against another member. Previous recent bans for similar behaviour.
How is it dmca abuse exactly? The product isn't out to the general public.

Because Fair Use covers criticism, which allows you to use copyrighted material without permission or payment to the owner.

Using DMCA take down requests to remove content that falls under Fair Use is abuse of DMCA.
It literally isnt because you dont have a right to speech on a private platform, youtube can do what they want.

Why do troll and alt accounts out themselves for the dumbest things?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Zero footage. And he clarifies that he bought that copy, is not send by CD Projekt or anything. And, above that, it was a pretty positive and hype-inducing video. I don't understand the DMCA...

Regardless that he got it from a retailer, it's still considered unreleased which would give CDPR right to pull footage that they themselves haven't OK'd. That would end on Wednesday as soon as the game is available in the first territory in the world.

Without knowing what the takedown notice was and just going by what he said, we are just speculating why it was taken down. It would be great to get some clarification on what the reason was since that should have been provided to him.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Because Fair Use covers criticism, which allows you to use copyrighted material without permission or payment to the owner.

Using DMCA take down requests to remove content that falls under Fair Use is abuse of DMCA.

Why do troll and alt accounts out themselves for the dumbest things?

Im not a troll or an alt account, just because you are wrong does not mean thats the case. Jumping to attacking a member of the forum for pointing out something that you stated is wrong is something though.

DMCA has literally nothing to do with free speech rights or anything like that. Your post is a bizarre post.

It does, implying something is an abuse of DMCA is suggesting that someones first amendment right is being restricted inappropriately. In this case fair use for impressions on a Video Game. I am pointing out that Youtube is completely within their rights to take down videos on a stricter basis than DMCA because they are a private platform. CDPR can request that Youtube removes all cyberpunk impressions before the game is out and that does not implicate DMCA whatsoever and is not an abuse of DMCA.

Additionally, there is no evidence that the streamers video was taken down with a DMCA request.

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
CDPR: "Cyberpunk 2077 is a game about a rebel named V who doesn't play by the rules!"

Also, CDPR: "You disobeyed rules that you didn't need to adhere to in order to talk about our corporate product?!"

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
It does, implying something is an abuse of DMCA is suggesting that someones first amendment right is being restricted inappropriately. In this case fair use for impressions on a Video Game. I am pointing out that Youtube is completely within their rights to take down videos on a stricter basis than DMCA because they are a private platform. CDPR can request that Youtube removes all cyberpunk impressions before the game is out and that does not implicate DMCA whatsoever and is not an abuse of DMCA.

No one (i think) is suggesting youtube "has no right" to remove the video, or that they are at fault for doing so, that I can see. Which is why the bringing up of free speech is a strange thing. Youtube is a private platform that can remove what they want, but that isn't what this is about. They aren't taking things down because they want to. They are taking things down to cover their ass in the event that a company wants to sue. Which is what the DMCA is about. A private company can't be held accountable for copyright infringing material that is posted by its users so long as they are compliant with requests to remove said content.
A DMCA complaint about a video that was highlighting "here's some issues with the game" is not a viable DMCA complaint because said video does not act as a replacement for the product CDPR wants to sell. No one is getting the experience of playing through the product by watching said video. Which is why this is abuse of the DMCA, they are using it to get youtube to remove a critical video that is not actually in violation of the DMCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.