• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
via Wccftech and Metro GameCentral

lbCDGY3.jpg
Additional info on Cyberpunk 2077 is seeping through the press interviews. Speaking with Metro GameCentral, Senior Concept Artist Marthe Jonkers explained the studio's desire to make the game inclusive so that everyone can be comfortable playing it.

You know, [with Cyberpunk 2077] we really want to make a video game that's really inclusive. Of course, if you tackle certain subjects then you will expect people to have an opinion about it and we respect that. And it's good that people give us feedback. And our character creation menu, for instance, compared to the last demo we now give you so many more options. For instance, you don't choose your gender anymore. You don't choose, 'I want to be a female or male character' you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want. So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that's male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want. And then we have a lot of extra skin tones and tattoos and hairstyles. So we really want to give people the freedom to make their own character and play the way they want to play.

Our team is very international and very diverse but we have asked for a lot of feedback. We always ask for feedback and even when we show these demos, we still ask people to tell us what they think. We just wanna know what we can improve on because we want to make a really good game [with Cyberpunk 2077] and we really wanna make a game that everybody is comfortable playing. But at the same time we'll tackle difficult issues. It is a cyberpunk world after all.

This is very interesting and shows what they said about wanting to incorporate a gender-fluid character creator actually happening.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Video game writers defaulting to "if the player is playing as a woman have the bad guys call her a whore and bitch constantly" school of incredibly unimaginative writing was always cringeworthy so it's good that CDPR is avoiding that here. Especially considering that TW3 was an example of that.

Besides this have they confirmed 3rd person mode?
This is a FP game, everything about it is designed around first person.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is impossible in some other languages. Not sure how they'll tackle localization for this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
For instance, you don't choose your gender anymore. You don't choose, 'I want to be a female or male character' you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want. So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that's male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want.

That's fucking awesome. Should've put that one in the title, no one reads the OPs, however short they are :P

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
In the screenshot there's a binary male/female, has this changed or would you just deselect one? I know it's a WIP, just surprised to see that in the screenshot considering the context.

Good news on the voice. Now hope they follow through on the more nuanced themes past the character creator.

Edit: clarified below - old build

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
In the screenshot there's a binary male/female, has this changed or can you just deselect one?
Good news on the voice, just surprised to see that in the screenshot considering the context.

cb6476c0-2e39-48ce-91yjq3.jpeg

That' from the last year's 48 minute demo

Anyway, this is going to be a translation nightmare for people who are going to translate the game into Slavic languages

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
As much as i hate the transphobic tweets and the info that implies that working in CDPR is an absolute hell...this is huge.

It might be difficult to grasp but not having to pick your gender and instead picking body parts is something incredible

I dont know if i will support this game or not but they are welcome to continue trying.

(Maybe i'll just buy it used)

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
In the screenshot there's a binary male/female, has this changed or can you just deselect one?
Good news on the voice, just surprised to see that in the screenshot considering the context.

It has surely changed, we know you no longer choose a "childhood hero" since they're only doing Johnny Silverhand

(it's also a good way to reduce the number of voice lines)
In many way that is true, it to the degree where Fire emblem three house is kinda able to have bisexual characters is having the dialogue be natural enough. even when certain elements of characters interactions outside of MC are more heteronormative. That said the fact that they are going this far is pleasing enough since I was going to play my Cyberpunk character to be non-binary at a certain point in the game.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
In the screenshot there's a binary male/female, has this changed or would you just deselect one? I know it's a WIP, just surprised to see that in the screenshot considering the context.

Good news on the voice. Now hope they follow through on the more nuanced themes past the character creator.

That's from the demo last year lol, I wanted to show that this isn't how it's gonna look anymore. Guess I'll put a disclaimer of that in the OP.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Screenshot is from the old demo. Now you only choose body type, instead of "Male or Female" and aparently you can mix it up to create the look you want.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That' from the last year's 48 minute demo

Anyway, this is going to be a translation nightmare for people who are going to translate the game into Slavic languages
It has surely changed, we know you no longer choose a "childhood hero" since they're only doing Johnny Silverhand
I think that is from last years demo, it might have changed since then.
Great stuff, appreciate the clarity. This is good to see, and glad they're actively reaching out on it. Hope they go further into how they're tackling the themes post-character creator before release.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019

I'm positive that's the old build from the original gameplay walk through they did. Most likely we'll finally see an updated one in the future.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Why put the thing about gendered speech in the thread title? The original article doesn't seem to mention it and it looks to be your interpretation, not a confirmed fact. Then again, if you can't select male or female I suppose the game would have no way of knowing which you are. It's actually inclusive and efficient at the same time because it saves you from having to record the same lines multiple ways.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
"God damn CDPR bending the knee to Resetera SJWs. They don't play games and won't be happy until the game becomes a walking simulator".

Colour me surprised in very good way and perhaps equally more incensed at their marketing department's banality when it comes the boxart.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Good to rip this bandaid off now before the usual crew can review-brigade it.

Hopefully, it's an indicator that they're striving for deeper thematic terrain than the surface-level cyberpunk aesthetic.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
It'd rather those resources go toward other things, as this is an ambitious game with a finite development time and budget. Let's take animation for example, the animation is all made with a FP perspective in mind.

You just summed up every game in existence. Anyway, I don't want to de-rail the thread.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Also helps that's it's probably way cheaper than rerecording every line to accommodate both options.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Very glad to see this. Makes a lot of sense for the setting and shows they're taking a number of the criticisms thrown at the game to heart.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Interesting. I hope they actually stick the landing with this, but because this change seems to have been implemented rather late, I wonder if they actually removed all gendered language, or if there will still be lines that refer to you as male if you chose the male body type or as female with the female body type. Surely there were already a lot of lines recorded with gendered language, no?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've had to upgrade my hype limiters about nine times with this game. If I can play it without feeling like shit because of cheap shots like Chromanticore peppered in it, as a result of those themes being balanced with a nuanced story and take on gender within the game (which things like this really give hope to), then fuckin' rad. Which is why I hope they do some dive into it before release, to at least reassure that we're not stopping at the character creator.

Game has some of the best art direction this generation, and looks phenomenal in most other aspects. It's irritating for it to be the one I've had to hold off on slapping a preorder down for and jumping into the mix in hype threads.

Things like this make strides though. It'd be a huge breath of fresh air to hit that proposed character creator. Having such a prominent massively-anticipated game - especially within the 'less pleasant gamer' crowd - challenge these things head on unashamedly is deserved of praise outside of any residual scepticism I have. Kudos.

Stark contrast to the trash over at 3D Realms and Voidpoint, insofar as recent events are concerned.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't get rid of Cherami Leigh voicing V (from the E3 2018 demo) then we're good. She sounded great.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will also have to remove all gendered language - which I suspect they would have done, because it's taken months for them to reach this decision.

More games should open up their character creation settings, like this Saints Row 3/4 still have the most progressive character creators. They let you do choose/wear anything, and have a ton of voices to match.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is good to know and certainly a welcome change as far as RPGs are concerned, cyberpunk or not.
Still waiting to see how they will handle LGBT people in the game, specially after that in-game ad, but this makes me see the game in a slightly more positive light.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"God damn CDPR bending the knee to Resetera SJWs. They don't play games and won't be happy until the game becomes a walking simulator".

Colour me surprised in very good way and perhaps equally more incensed at their marketing department's banality when it comes the boxart.
Sadly, I fully expect this becomes a real post somewhere in the very near future.