• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
First key quote, hence title.
Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development for at least six years and its team recently hit a major milestone: The entire game is playable from start to finish. It doesn't have all of the proper assets, playtesting or bug fixes in place, but seeing the story come together is a critical step in the development process, Borzymowski said.

That is major milestone to hit, even if it means game still has quite a bit road ahead of it before landing on our SSDs. Few other highlights from interview / article.

The Gamescom demo for Cyberpunk 2077 is nearly identical to the one shown at E3 two months prior, but it features a few important changes. First, it introduces a new weapon, a katana capable of emitting a magnetic field that deflects bullets, and it highlights the game's character-selection screens. Players will be able to pick their gender, appearance and backstory right from the beginning, filling in details about traumatic events in their past and other personal tidbits.

And then there's the final scene of the new demo, which shows Night City at, well, night -- something CD Projekt Red has avoided until now.
The Gamescom trailer ends with a new vision of Night City. Under an inky black sky, a dense, towering skyline is illuminated by a thousand neon signs in traditional Blade Runner fashion.
For instance, players are able to choose the gender and appearance of their characters, and the Gamescom demo offers the first look at the game with a male protagonist. Here, there's a subtle nod to inclusivity: When the main character, V, wakes up in his apartment after a successful heist and a night of partying, the person who leaves his bed is a man.
Source: https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/23/cyberpunk-2077-daylight-interview/

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean only the story missions are complete or side missions too? I imagine CDPR's side missions take so long in development.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Further along than I thought. I still think it's 2020 (May), but late 2019 doesn't seem far fetched now.

2ynv1oeq1ph11.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That katana sounds aweome. Shame about the first person thing ruining it. I'd love to play a good third person action RPG with weapons like that.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they said God of War was in that state around Xmas 2016? So still a long way to go especially for a big open RPG

Nov 1, 2017
Much further than I thought, bugs, polish and various things not implemented still needs to be done and you know that requires lots of time.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Any chance the demo gets officially released online for everyone to view in the coming days?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
so the game is now in Alpha? a year in alpha and 6 months in beta and then release? Spring 2020 atleast seems more reasonable of an expectation than it did a couple months ago.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I think it eventually happen in PS4 last line up. and with PS5 GOTY edition.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Now what does this mean, again?
Mass Effect Andromeda was also announced to be playable from start to finish in 2015 or something and that hardly gave us the right idea.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be one of those games that every bit of info released will be painful as A) we won't see gameplay for a while and B) the game won't be released for a while.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to optimize a game currently running on a 12 Tflops GPU and a $400 CPU so that it can run on a 1.3 Tflops and 1.84 tflops console GPU with a laptop CPU.

Have fun.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just based on what I've heard about game development, I wouldn't take "playable from start to finish" as a sign that this game is anywhere close to release. If most of that playable space is still in white box (aka: a bunch of flat grey surfaces with unfinished or blank models everywhere), there's still a ton of work left.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Fall 2019 is fully open for them and i hope that they will hit that date. Only major competition that they could face is new R* game or Starfield and none of those are coming out.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
'Playable from start to finish' doesn't necessarily carry much weight in terms of release date proximity. That said, it's a 2020 title.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I still can't figure out why they didn't release the gameplay video.
Gamescom was the perfect moment, big exhibition and waiting for the title at its peak. Now people are going to start getting bitter...

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
So great to hear this. Even if it's still a ways out, it makes me feel like they'll be honing in on a solid story. Kotaku Splitscreen had an interview with a Prey dev that mentioned that usually they don't really know how the story looks till it's fully playable, which can be only a few months before release. It seems like this is a better approach, unless I'm mistaking how Cyberpunk is being developed.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Further along than I thought. I still think it's 2020 (May), but late 2019 doesn't seem far fetched now.

2ynv1oeq1ph11.jpg

Don't hold your breathe...there is zero chance this releases next year. All this means is that the basic gameplay and stage design is there...still has to be fleshed out and made to be stable for hardware.

Pretty sure you could probably play Crackdown 3 from start to finish this time last year LOL

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still can't figure out why they didn't release the gameplay video.
Gamescom was the perfect moment, big exhibition and waiting for the title at its peak. Now people are going to start getting bitter...
They were bitter the moment cyberpunk 2077 looked different from the teaser years ago. And when they said it's gonna be first person, or that there's sun in the game.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
This is soooo so hype. That katana, damn.
I would want one thing tho... Please let me be a cop, please let me a cop !!!
We know we can be a netrunner, a techie and a solo. We know we can mix those. And we know that thanks to background and everything we can be rockerboy, fixer... I hope we can be a cop too !! That's my favorite role lol

Nov 2, 2017
This announcement seems like a PR attempt to distract from the Twitter stuff. I can count maybe 1 other time a developer decided to take "Game is fully playable from start to finish" as a milestone worthy of press material.

May 26, 2018
This is soooo so hype. That katana, damn.
I would want one thing tho... Please let me be a cop, please let me a cop !!!
We know we can be a netrunner, a techie and a solo. We know we can mix those. And we know that thanks to background and everything we can be rockerboy, fixer... I hope we can be a cop too !! That's my favorite role lol

Maybe in the sequel? This game seems to be focused on mixing a few types together to fit a specific framework for a storyline.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
And yeah, I mean they clearly said at E3 to not expecting it before AT LEAST 2020 lol. No way it's 2019. It's probably playable with stick figures as ennemies or something like that lol

Oct 25, 2017
This game needs to speak incredibly loud and clear in terms of inclusivity and good representation of marginalized people once it's released in order to regain any form of interest from me. Honestly not holding my breath, but we'll see…