• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
press-start.com.au

Cyberpunk 2077 Won't Be Censored In Australia But Japan's Version Will Be Fairly Different

Cyberpunk 2077 Won't Be Censored In Australia But Japan's Version Will Be Fairly Different

Press Start AU said:
The Japanese version will receive the following changes:

• Added underwear to naked male/female characters
  • Revised some sexually explicit content
  • Selective revision of severing human body/exposed guts
  • Revision/removal of billboard/graffiti shaped as genitals

Those are some fairly substantial content edits!

It also bears noting that the game will not be censored in Australia.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Edit: Thanks, Black Chamber
I know the article is short but might as well add them so that it's clear.
The Japanese version will receive the following changes:
  • Added underwear to naked male/female characters
  • Revised some sexually explicit content
  • Selective revision of severing human body/exposed guts
  • Revision/removal of billboard/graffiti shaped as genitals
This source has played the game, and not that this is content to make up, but can we be sure this is accurate? (I don't know anything about Press Start)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sucks for Japanese players, but they're not too drastic changes at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised on genitalia. The severing reminds me that Nioh got beheadings removed in JP so that makes sense thinking about it

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
That much was obvious, showing nipples/genitals is not allowed in console games in Japan because of CERO. Games with extreme violence are censored over there as well.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Think someone can explain to me, but the main issue Japan sees is explicit genitals? That's why animes/games don't show that despite many have sexual content, right?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Eh, that's editing - not censorship.

But I'm looking forward to some hilarious underwear sex.
The fact that they're removing things altogether from the game aside from just making characters wear underwear would definitely constitute as censorship:

Censorship: The suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Callego

Nov 22, 2017
Australia doesn't censor games like it used to. Mid PS3 Gen they added an 18+ rating and almost everything's been okay since (with only a few exceptions). I would be surprised if Cyberpunk was censored.

However, I remember they had issues with Saints Row 4 having a mission where illicit drugs gave you extra abilities. That does sound like the kind of thing that might happen in Cyberpunk, so I'll be interested to see if I'm right.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
J5cSmwj.gif

Western game adapted for publishing in Japan? I thought it only happened the other way around!!!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Just like Witcher 3, which had violence, death and nudity censored in Japan.

Not a surprise and not a massive problem for those who care deeply

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The fact that they're removing things altogether from the game aside from just making characters wear underwear would definitely constitute as censorship:

Censorship: The suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Unless the Japanese government is hiring developers to add underwear, I don't see it.

If CD Projekt RED is doing it, they've made a choice to edit their content to fit regional standards.

I understand others will disagree.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the PS4 version is going to be censored in NA given Sony's recent track record of censoring any sexual content on thier platform

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Unless the Japanese government is hiring developers to add underwear, I don't see it.

If CD Projekt RED is doing it, they've made a choice to edit their content to fit regional standards.

I understand others will disagree.
I get what you mean - but the government of Japan - specifically the CERO ratings board has deemed that the normal content for every other region, must be censored in their territory due to it not meeting their strict guidelines for adult content.

Therefore, CD Projekt Red must comply and censor/alter things that they originally put in the game for everyone else to experience.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I wonder if all that people that cry censorship everytime a Japanese anime game is changed over here, are gonna throw a fit too at this?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind if those are options in the global release, I'd take clothed people over nudity in a game.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
I would say this is censored over edited. Without the changes CERO would require the purchase of the game to be government regulated as it would recieve a Z rating for sure. Also a lot of large retailers don't market or stock Z rated games.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I wonder if all that people that cry censorship everytime a Japanese anime game is changed over here, are gonna throw a fit too at this?
The venn diagram of people who'd care about western releases being changed and people who'd care about Japanese releases being changed doesn't have a whole lot of overlap. And of what little overlap there might be, I don't know if they'd be buying the Japanese version of Cyberpunk anyway.

But it's certainly a bummer for Japanese players.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, CERO has a longstanding ban on the depiction of women's nipples, plus they're the last major games ratings board to demand cuts to violence (even Resident Evil gets cut). Add in the governmental ban on depicting human genetalia and CD Projekt Red has get the metaphical scissors out. They're not the only ones; The Last of Us Part 2's Japanese version received similar cuts for similar reasons.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I don't think so, because the changes were made for different reasons.
CERO is the law and games with nudity or too much gore simply cannot launch on consoles.
For the anime games, the changes are made even though none of the games are at risk of getting a rating that would prohibit them from being launched on consoles. (TMS#FE for example)
Of course I'm generalizing here, there might be some games where this could absolutely play out differently.

I wonder if there will be a "streaming safety mode" or something in similar games in the future, that allows people to turn off the nudity if they wish to.
It can be awkward playing these games on twitch.