• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with Strefa Inwestorow, a Polish investment site, Kicinski talked about a wide variety of topics including the future of The Witcher, Gwent, and of course - Cyberpunk 2077.

"We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher. I can't say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we're having a business chat, we're interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant."

"Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk."

"Multiplayer is strategically important, playing online is strategically important, because we want to have a commercial leg for service type games, games which generate stable income, period to period, which are built. Of course, every game ends after a number of years, some service type games function even after 10 years, but outside our main source of income, meaning big names, it's building a stable source of income. And in the future, we can imagine a lot of connections between big games and service type games – We have to acknowledge it, it is obvious."

That has... punctured my hype for the game very effectively. I don't even care if it's a well done GaaS style game, I don't want them to dilute their focus from strong single player experiences. If Bethesda can sell 30 million copies of single player experiences with no GaaS elements, why can't CDPR?

I hope I am overreacting, and the final game ends up only having a multiplayer mode by the side that doesn't detract from the single player experience; then I think back to Bioware and sob inconsolably.

SOURCE

Last edited:

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, given the job postings, the grant applications, and the project reboot, I got the impression they're actually allowing campaign co-op or something of that nature, since the online elements sound way, way bigger (and need notably more staff) than they used to.

Edit:

I thought this made more sense to move up here. Here's some of the job postings and statements for reference:

Boskee said:
CD Projekt has posted more details about the projects, that will be partially funded by the Polish government.

The most important part seems to be the timeline for all 4 projects (that is seamless multiplayer, cinematic feel, animation excellence and city creation) - they will run from 01/2016 and 01/2017 until 06/2019. It's important to note, that the funded projects should be released by that date, but CDPR can apply to have those deadlines extended.

All of the projects will be included in RedEngine 4, the next iteration of the RedEngine.

CDPR is now looking for the following contractors to help deliver all 4 projects:

Multiplayer Gameplay Designer

Last edited:

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Until I hear more I can't waver my hype. The game is something I'm super excited about, and unless we know what this actually means, there's no reason to get any negative thoughts about it. CDPR have been doing a lot of really great things, I can't see why they would randomly change it all up.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This headline is so tragic that it's the sort of thing I'd expect from a fake exit thread on the old site, not actual news. :/

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I sadly have a simple answer: If it's good I'll take it just because I'm a sucker for the genre (seen in the aptly titled game).

There's been more press lately, I'm guessing we're gearing up for a bigger reveal soon?

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How does one follow up their most successful game of all time? Go in a completely opposite direction of course!

I mean I have no reason not to trust CDPR yet but seems like an odd conclusion.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
63FB24F252EBBCE3ADC7158716321B216CC6DF1A

I hope is minimal (cosmetics).

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Witcher 3 but I acknowledge its greatness. No matter what CDPR puts out will undoubtedly be great so I have no concerns over this at all. Especially with the setting.

I HAAAATTTE YOUUUUU!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Gross. CDPR should stick to their strengths instead of wasting resources on chasing GaaS money.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I would have been surprised if this wasn't the case

Also, CDPR tends to do things differently than other studios, so I'm interested to see their approach to GaaS

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They spent how many years trying to develop this. Unless your a first party it's not a while worth while investment to not try a service style game.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, you need to say more than just GaaS for me to be disillusioned.

Hell TW3 was a GaaS

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly ok with it, I trust them to make a great game. Honestly, GAAS may look different from them, in the form of more quests and hunts Ala Witcher 3. Willing to wait and see.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's common practice to use the full term before using the acronym. Very confusing.

At any rate, we have to get used to the idea of developers trying to derive profit from games outside of its initial price/additional content. It's the way of the future. Devs don't know what the perfect balance is yet, so we still have cases like what EA is doing with Battlefront, but I'm not giving up hope yet on Cyberpunk.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This also makes the meaning of GAAS more clear by his wording,

Because several people tried to argue TW3, Uncharted and others fit under the GAAS umbrella because they 'offer paid content after release'. When most knew it had to do with online content mainly.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
"And in the future, we can imagine a lot of connections between big games and service type games – We have to acknowledge it, it is obvious."
This reads to me like he is speaking about something like a Cyberpunkt themed Gwent expansion.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this doesn't automatically make Cyberpunk a terrible game and CDPR has more than earned my trust... I just hope they can deliver on whatever scope they set our for without nickel and diming us as consumers.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's no doubt the narrative/story will be strong given their history and the number of narrative/quest designers on the project. I can understand wanting to continue iteration on the game through ongoing multiplayer components at the same time and I don't think they're mutually exclusive. I have faith in CDPR.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm ok with this because I trust CD Projekt 10000% more than EA, Ubisoft, Activision or any other big third-party publisher. Let's wait until we actually know more about the game before freaking out.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This headline is so tragic that it's the sort of thing I'd expect from a fake exit thread on the old site, not actual news. :/
The headline was specifically crafted to flame as big an outrage as possible.

Meanwhile, here is full unedited interview with english subtitles that was already posted once before, by the way: