• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
GJxThB7bMAAC4hG

Made a thread for Cyclethon 2 and it was fun, so thought I would do it again this year!

Background:

In 2022, Connor aka CdawgVA along with Chris Broad aka Abroad in Japan, did a 500km 'Cyclethon' event on Twitch across Japan that they raised $319,857.87 for the Immune Deficiency Foundation.

And in 2023, they were back at it again for a 900km bike ride where they raised $555,171.00 for the Immune Deficiency Foundation again.

And now in 2024, the longest Cyclethon yet, going from 9 days all the way to 14 days!

About the Immune Deficiency Foundation

Whether you've been recently diagnosed, have been living with a primary immunodeficiency (PI) for years, or just think you might have a PI, we are here to help. While PI has no cure, there are lifesaving treatments available that can improve the quality of life for those affected by these rare, chronic conditions. Our programs are meant to connect, engage, and empower families to live longer, stronger, and healthier lives.

There are more than 450 types of PI that affect an estimated 500,000 people in the United States. On average, it takes 9-15 years to achieve a diagnosis. IDF programs help achieve an early and accurate diagnosis, appropriate treatment, and improved quality of life for all individuals.
Some interesting facts:
  • Approximately 9 million Americans are immunocompromised.
  • Approximately 30 million Americans have a rare disease.
  • 70% - 90% of those with a PI don't even know they have one.
  • Some PI diagnoses include common variable immune deficiency (CVID), severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), CGD, HLH, Hyper IgE syndrome, IgA deficiency, specific antibody deficiency, and XLA.

Iron Mouse is a well known Vtuber who has CVID and is who introduced Connor to the Immune Deficiency Foundation. Because of her condition, she is bed ridden and unable to leave her room, yet in spite of that she is an example of someone who has gotten tremendous help due the efforts of the Immune Deficiency Foundation and there are many more like her that rely on them to be able to continue to live their lives in the best possible way. If you've never watched Connor's streams before, she will likely be mentioned quite a few times and also be doing her own stream where she watches the Cyclethon herself.

Where in Japan are they biking to and from?

They are starting in city of Shimonoseki in the Yamaguchi Prefecture and biking all the way to Tokyo.

Guests

During the trip, various Guests will be joining them, for example: "American" Pete aka PremierTwo who joined on both previous trips, and also fellow TrashTaste Podcast members, Garnt and Joey, along with other guests that haven't been mentioned...

However, this is where we need to address the Elephant in the room. One of the guests (who will be there for 2 days IIRC), is PewDiePie who AFAIK remains quite the controversial figure to this day. I am not someone who paid much attention to him during the height of his popularity and even less so once they moved to Japan and only things I know about them these days in ancedotes from other content creators living in Japan who have done stuff with him.

Obviously, if you do not wish to watch the Cyclethon during those days that they are on the trip- that is perfectly understandable. We don't know what days it will be yet, but we will likely get a heads up prior to them showing up so people should have a heads up on when they want to dip out and when to return if they so wish.

Where to Watch:

You can watch it primarily on CdawgVA's Twitch Channel at these days on each day:

9 AM JST
5 PM PST
7 PM CST
8 PM EST
12 AM GMT

View: https://www.twitch.tv/cdawgva

Where to Donate

This is the donation page

Tiltify - Made for Fundraisers

We give you the tools to engage with your donors and raise more for your charity

While it's possible to do it now, do note that they should have Text-To-Speech on during the Cycling so if you want to hear your Donation Message spoken to and potentially responded to during the stream, that is the time.

--------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm really excited, honestly, these events have sort of been joining the GamesDoneQuick group of: "Super cozy events to watch".

Also originally I had the title say: "Pumping Iron to help the Mouse and others!" but then I realized the phrase: "Pumping Iron" specifically refers to lifting with weights and thus doesn't make sense lol

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Love that Cannur keeps doing these. Seems like a really great dude.

But I'm here for PremierTwo content.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that unlike the other guests, Pete will likely be there for most of the event? He's gotta be there for all that Van Gang content lol

I doubt he'll be cycling, but more so with the Van gang and hype man. I think Cannur said he's on week two only.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Excited for this! Conner and Chris have amazing chemistry and they've met some fun people on previous events. I'm ambivalent to the other guests outside of American Pete, and I'll be skipping the PDP days myself, but still looking forward to it. Hope it rains less lol

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna watch it from time to time list last time, with probably some on ironmouse stream, if she's doing the basket thing again this year.

DCMann2

Jul 6, 2022
Thanks for the thread! I enjoy Connor's cyclathons very much and am looking forward to this next one. Hope he has good weather throughout the adventure :)

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Will try to tune in and donate a bit whenever I can, the last two were fun to watch.

RIP The tubathon idea lol. I would laugh so hard if they actually did that and it turned out just as well as the cyclethons. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I audibly groaned when they shared the news of PDP's guest spot on stream. I'll just pretend those 2 days don't exist and watch the other 12.

Pity they have to associate with such an awful human being. They're a good bunch other than that.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017
crazy how they have to avoid calling it the IDF, you'd think people would be able to tell the difference

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
crazy how they have to avoid calling it the IDF, you'd think people would be able to tell the difference
I was just thinking last time it was an insult they had to brush off and as a bit of a joke. Now it's full on don't even mention it.

I'll have it on in the background now and then. It's mildly entertaining and fan of Chris, most of Conners stuff is alright and Pete is generally fun.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's less: "People can't tell the difference" and more: "People will be assholes and purposefully try to take something out of context."

Anyway- 8 hours till this starts!!!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly really cool to hear that even folks who work with Plasma and such have noticed that these events have increased awareness and folks have been citing them for why they donated.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The stream was over 30k viewers earlier. Honestly it's crazy how big Connor has gotten as a streamer over the last few years.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The stream was over 30k viewers earlier. Honestly it's crazy how big Connor has gotten as a streamer over the last few years.

Curious to see how high it will go as it goes along. The Auction Charity event got up to 72,676, assuming the site I checked was accurate lol

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it'll reach that high, due to different timezones. But mid/high 20s is good for overnight EU/America

True.

Granted, I don't know how popular they are these days, but I could imagine it peaks during the days PDP is on the stream, which for better or worse, will hopefully help them get a nice boost to put them on their path to surpass their goal of getting to like 700k if not a big 1 million.

I didn't watch the PDP TrashTaste episode, so I really don't know what they are like these days, and even back in the day, I only knew of their antics and controversy from other folks.

Obviously not trying to "forgive" them or anything, as it's not my place, simply that I at least hope that they aren't still doing the things that made them a controversial figure back in the day (the kind of thing that resulted in literally the show GenV calling him a "Nazi" which released literally just this year). Cause like... Connor isn't some perfect person, but he has shown to be clearly very Left leaning, and so it just seems weird that PDP somehow hits their blindspot.

Jun 5, 2018
I binged the whole thing last year (somehow I lost steam right at the finale) and it was honestly quite comforting to have something to watch and catch up on vods during the day.

This year I feel a bit more drained tbh, time zone difference certainly doesn't help, so I might not get to do the same, especially seeing as it's two weeks worth.

It's a great cause though, and it's a cool way to see parts of a country many probably will never see any other way, probably the only thing on twitch these days I look forward to.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great cause though, and it's a cool way to see parts of a country many probably will never see any other way, probably the only thing on twitch these days I look forward to.

For real, this is also part of why I love this so much. Cause yeah, you get to see all the parts you never get to see in regular videos. Alas as someone who doesn't travel for various reasons, it's my best way of seeing this stuff lol

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I binged the whole thing last year (somehow I lost steam right at the finale) and it was honestly quite comforting to have something to watch and catch up on vods during the day.

This year I feel a bit more drained tbh, time zone difference certainly doesn't help, so I might not get to do the same, especially seeing as it's two weeks worth.

I moved from the east coast to the west coast 6-7 months ago and it's honestly in a much more watchable time zone for me this year, since I can watch a few hours in the evening each day. I think I'll catch up on the rest at work the next day.

Jun 5, 2018
For real, this is also part of why I love this so much. Cause yeah, you get to see all the parts you never get to see in regular videos. Alas as someone who doesn't travel for various reasons, it's my best way of seeing this stuff lol

My reason is very self inflicted, but I'm honestly just too scared to travel, along with not being very energetic these days, I'd probably go with the wrong mindset to really appreciate it, though I hope to figure that out one of these days.

I moved from the east coast to the west coast 6-7 months ago and it's honestly in a much more watchable time zone for me this year, since I can watch a few hours in the evening each day. I think I'll catch up on the rest at work the next day.

Sadly I'd have to leave the entire country to do that here, but it's still great as a vod. The trick I found is to accept that whatever I don't catch up on is gone, because otherwise I feel like I'd consume nothing but the stream the entire time :p

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not able to do much more as I need to be careful with my money atm, but donated $25, basically thanking them and reiterating how it's cool that you get to see a lot of the in-between of Japan from the stream. Which they actually talked about for a minute or so, which was cool.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching a little while ago to play more Rebirth but will watch the rest tomorrow at work. I did buy one of the $33 dollar t-shirts from the merch store. Like the design.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, am I understanding or is Connor saying his tire was flat yesterday?

I had to walk away for a moment.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
With the 2 week long Cyclethon they'll probably hit 1 million or get very close. Considering they hit 550k or something last year in 1 weekish.

If they're close enough to one million I'm sure people will donate like mad the last day to get them there.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched bits and parts tonight but day 2 seems to be going a lot rougher. Multiple bus problems, internet problems, and Chris is pretty wiped on day 2, very hilly day.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Day 2 Ends at $126k!!!

Tomorrow they return again at 8 PM ET

Garnt aka Gigguk of Trash Taste will be joining them... AND it's planning to be raining tomorrow.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be crazy how much they raise by the end of this if we're already at 126k. I think 1 mil is a long shot but I don't think it's impossible.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be crazy how much they raise by the end of this if we're already at 126k. I think 1 mil is a long shot but I don't think it's impossible.

It's possible it could have that effect that happens with stuff like GDQ, people want to be part of the hype, and so when it comes down the wire, will donate a ton to get it done.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Also I don't think they are...but just to confirm they aren't taking any rest days? If so that's pretty insane.