Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
So, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything officially got released today. For those who don't know, Tasha's is the latest expansion to Dungeons and Dragon's 5th edition, and the first major one since Xanthar's was released three years ago. It has new subclasses, spells, magic items, variant rules for customizing the origin of your characters, and optional features for existing classes.

Full Table of Contents:

xpulYQbdt717J6DRKaOCb1zk2IttRz05YVrSlcXS86U.jpg

Has anyone received their copy yet? What are everyone's general thoughts?

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
I've only had a brief readthrough of some of the new Sorceror backgrounds and they all seem pretty interesting. Planning on sinking into more of it tonight but am most looking forward to reading the puzzle ideas, the few times I've DM'd (normally a player) I really like posing my players a good puzzle or two

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is out for delivery and I'm really stoked to dig into it. I love more options for character creation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I need this book and I forgot it was coming out this week. I'll order it for delivery to my parents' house I guess since I'm gonna be out of town for the next two months.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot this was coming out!
I need to get a copy...

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work. Really excited for some of the new subclasses even though I'm the forever DM.

The expanded sidekicks will be great because one of my games is just me and one player, so rules beyond level 6 are going to be instantly useful.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences between the UA and these new polished versions of the subclasses. I've been playing a Rune Knight Fighter recently and am curious to how they changed it (if at all).

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
D&D Beyond is great, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more convenient, but there's just something nice about also owning the physical book, lol

Meh, I definitely do not miss carrying all these books to my games! Now I just have a sub and share everything. I do like the books but I just can't give up the convenience of well everything D&D Beyond does.

The character sheets aren't updated for anyone trying to change things.

TASHA’S CAULDRON of EVERYTHING - Issues and Support Thread - Bugs & Support - D&D Beyond General - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond

Welcome to the Support Thread for TASHA’S CAULDRON of EVERYTHING If you find any issues with the content from the sourcebook, or using it on a D&D ...

But soon, it will be this easy. I've already talked to my players and I'm giving them the option to change things before our next session. Anything like subclasses, I think I want to handle it like in the book. Seems more involved.

options-gif.gif

optional-origins.gif

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Excited to actually read the artificer! I have a player who is one in my Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign and I just sort of trust that he's not making everything up lol

P.S. are all the monstrous races reprinted? I'd like to check out Lizardfolk

Oct 27, 2017
Artillerist sounds right up my alley. I've wanted a character that just throws bombs and shit for ages now but my DM is pretty strict about homebrew stuff.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why did WotC stop doing even yearly sourcebooks again?

Looks like there's some nice content in this, not happy that they totally gutted psionics (flavor and crunch) though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
One thing of note is that, even though some of the subclasses are reprints from earlier books, a few of them have been modified:

Artificer
- (Base class)You can now use the Replicate Magic Item infusion to create any common magic item.
- (Base class) The Homunculus infusion was buffed and now available starting at level 2.
- (Battle Smith) Steel Defender can now act while you're incapacitated, and a few of its abilities scale with your proficiency bonus.

Circle of Spores Druid:
- Symbiotic Entity feature now does necrotic instead of poison damage.

Bladesinger Wizard
- Bladesong is now restricted to your proficiency bonus per long rest
- When you get the extra attack feature, you can replace one the attacks with a cantrip.

I'm really surprised about the Bladesinger. The other modifications are minor buffs, or small alterations .But the Bladesinger functionally plays completely differently now.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Why did WotC stop doing even yearly sourcebooks again?

Looks like there's some nice content in this, not happy that they totally gutted psionics (flavor and crunch) though.

5th Edition sales are insane for WoTC. Not sure if it's higher than previous editions but I wouldn't be surprised if too many books led to bloat and lower sales.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
5th Edition sales are insane for WoTC. Not sure if it's higher than previous editions but I wouldn't be surprised if too many books led to bloat and lower sales.
I'm sure 5e has way higher sales than any of the previous ones. It just feel like they kept on doing unearthed arcana, but not releasing anything at all for years. At least go dig up all the fun monsters from 1e and 2e, it doesn't have to be just class options.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to preorder the alt cover for a Christmas gift, paid a little more to get a copy today

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
I'm sure 5e has way higher sales than any of the previous ones. It just feel like they kept on doing unearthed arcana, but not releasing anything at all for years. At least go dig up all the fun monsters from 1e and 2e, it doesn't have to be just class options.

I'd kill for a 5e equivalent of this book. I feel like I'm bad at handling travel but running SKT, I think it should mean something going from Waterdeep to Mirabar or whereever.

9kjWNQq.jpg

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I'd have this already, but my family always grouses about how hard it is to buy me anything for the holidays and my birthday, so I purposefully don't get stuff and put it on a wishlist only for them to ignore it and continue complaining about how hard it is to buy me anything.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just slightly annoyed I preordered this some time ago but Amazon might not get it to me until Monday.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd kill for a 5e equivalent of this book. I feel like I'm bad at handling travel but running SKT, I think it should mean something going from Waterdeep to Mirabar or whereever.

9kjWNQq.jpg
Any new stuff on the DM side would be great. The amount of times I've had to make up shit because there was no applicable rule or even a system to hang it on in 5e is ridiculous.
How does one begin to pay DnD. I just wanna play with my family.
You get the Starter Set and convince 4-ish other people to play.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any new stuff on the DM side would be great. The amount of times I've had to make up shit because there was no applicable rule or even a system to hang it on in 5e is ridiculous.

There's actually a lot of additional stuff hidden away in the adventure modules. Ghosts of Saltmarsh, for example, has a fair amount of naval/ship stuff, and Rime of the Frostmaiden is supposed to have stuff related to survival in it. If you can get easy access to those books or plan on using them eventually anyway, they can be useful in situations outside their original adventure.

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

They've been focusing on releasing setting guides (Eberron) and crossover books (Theros, Ravnica, Wildemount) over the last two years. Which, aside from Eberron, I haven't been a huge fan of, since it feels like they've spread their resources too thin to get four different setting books out in a year and a half.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
I'm just slightly annoyed I preordered this some time ago but Amazon might not get it to me until Monday.

Honestly?

Just get this.

dnd.wizards.com

D&D Starter Set | Dungeons & Dragons

The action-packed D&D Starter Set includes rules of the game and everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy.

I recommend the D&D Beyond version. It's digital though so if that's a problem for you then just go physical. The digital tools are amazing.

As for the adventure itself, it's what a lot of new DMs run. It's short enough that it can be finished in 6-8 sessions if you played once a week. It's a very small sandbox style campaign. Typical start "players meet in a tavern" but it really does an excellent job of teaching both the Dungeon Master and players what D&D is.

EDIT: There are two starter sets. The one I linked and the other actually both take place in the same town of Phandalin but the set I linked has more of a narrative. I believe the other is a loose collection of jobs for the players to take on. Some people even combine the two into one larger campaign but for your first time, I recommend just sticking to one.

Here's the free D&D rules. It's a lot less than the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide but this is all you really need to start playing properly.

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
Easiest thing to do
Pick this up.

It's inexpensive, and a great way to get your feet wet, and see if you want to invest in the primary source books (Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide)
I second this. I ran that box last year for 2 people that haven't ever played D&D before and it was perfect for new folks. I did also make their characters for them, which helped as well.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
There's actually a lot of additional stuff hidden away in the adventure modules. Ghosts of Saltmarsh, for example, has a fair amount of naval/ship stuff, and Rime of the Frostmaiden is supposed to have stuff related to survival in it. If you can get easy access to those books or plan on using them eventually anyway, they can be useful in situations outside their original adventure.

I've actually been using the travel mechanics from this homebrew. Only twice now but it's been great. I still would love to see a 5th Edition version of the Wilderness Survival guide but updated for modern players. D&D is less about random encounters these days and more about a narrative.

Giffyglyph's Portfolio

Giffyglyph's tools, writing, and expansion modules for D&D 5e.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I like that there's not too many sourcebooks - I really like 5e as a system and would prefer they not burn it out. There's enough content to keep me pretty sated, and more specific settings/adventures to get piecemeal stuff from as needed.

Curious about the Group Patron section - that's something I always have in my games, it just makes sense to have a single person/group acting as a focal point of the campaign, giving quests, explaining lore, tying the group together. Would probably be worth flipping through, at least.

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I think one of the best things in the book are the optional Ranger features:

Deft Explorer (replaces Natural Explorer)
- At level 1, you get two additional languages and expertise in one skill.
- At level 6, your walking speed increases by 5 and you get a climb/swimming speed equal to your walk speed
- At level 10, you get some temp hit points (1d8 + your wisdom modifier) and you can remove exhaustion on a short rest.

Primal Awareness (replaces Primeval Awarness)
Gives you some extra spells to play around with that you can cast for free once per day:
Level 3: Speak with animals
Level: 5 Beast Sense
Level 9: Speak with Plants
Level 13: Locate Creature
Level: 17 Commune with Nature

Nature's Vale (Replaces Hide in Plain Sight)
Allows you to essentially cast greater invisibility on yourself until the start of your next turn.(you can only use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per long rest)

Favoured Foe (Replaces Favourite Enemy)
When you hit a creature, you can mark it for 1 minute or until you lose concentration. Once per turn you can add 1d4 to a damage roll. This becomes 1d6 at level 6 and 1d8 at level 14 (you can only use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per long rest)

Outside of favoured foe, which is basically just a worse hunter's mark that still takes concentration, I really like these changes – they're not game changing buffs, but I think they finally give Ranger a niche that justifies its existence in 5E outside of the grandfather clause.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Local store still hasn't received their shipment, but got to look at a copy. It's a good boost, with the class stuff and side kicks for players, and the environment hazards, puzzles, and patrons for DMs. Some of the class options are a bit disappointing and feel like missteps (Favored Foe, no spell versatility and locking most similar things behind ASI levels, no bloodline spell lists for past Sorcerer subclasses), but most of it hits the mark and adds quite a bit to the game. It's also welcoming that they reprinted/expanded upon certain subclasses and mechanics from setting specific books to help cut down on investing in books that ultimately the bulk may not be useful to most players.
Frankly I like that there's not too many sourcebooks - I really like 5e as a system and would prefer they not burn it out. There's enough content to keep me pretty sated, and more specific settings/adventures to get piecemeal stuff from as needed.

Curious about the Group Patron section - that's something I always have in my games, it just makes sense to have a single person/group acting as a focal point of the campaign, giving quests, explaining lore, tying the group together. Would probably be worth flipping through, at least.
It would be nice if they filled out the few books we get a bit more. 300+ page adventure and setting books compared to 190-some page source drips over longer periods between at the same price point is a bit ridiculous. Tasha's easily could have thrown in larger sections on diving into schools of magic at the very least with some tables breaking down the current spells within the schools for ease of reference. Certain classes like Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight are restricted to only certain schools, so it would be helpful. Same as having tables for spells that would be considered to have certain effects to more easily reference in case of resistances, immunities, and similar features. There's a lot of big gaps are starved aspects such as exploration and equipment options, so it would be nice to see those beyond a canoe in one adventure and cold weather in another where it's surrounded by less useful content for non-module play. They already do it with the settings content generally, so it would be nice to see those get reprinted/expanded upon outside of those even IMO more niche products.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
How does one begin to pay DnD. I just wanna play with my family.

There are two intro box sets, the Starter Set and the Essentials Kit. You can get either one, but if you want the more traditional D&D experience, I would get the Starter Set: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset

The Essentials Kit is fine too, but it feels kind of video-gamey, with a job board full of small side quests that eventually culminate in a fight with a dragon. The Starter Set is more of a story arc, and is definitely better if you want to get a feel for how "standard" D&D is played.

The adventure in the Starter Set, titled Lost Mine of Phandelver, is really good. It does a great job holding your hand as the Dungeon Master (DM, the one who runs the game), and it's great for new players too. It comes with pre-generated characters so the players can get right into it without trying to figure out character generation.

If you liked the Starter Set, get the three core rulebooks (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual) and make your own adventures, or buy a published adventure module.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think one of the best things in the book are the optional Ranger features:

Deft Explorer (replaces Natural Explorer)
- At level 1, you get two additional languages and expertise in one skill.
- At level 6, your walking speed increases by 5 and you get a climb/swimming speed equal to your walk speed
- At level 10, you get some temp hit points (1d8 + your wisdom modifier) and you can remove exhaustion on a short rest.

Primal Awareness (replaces Primeval Awarness)
Gives you some extra spells to play around with that you can cast for free once per day:
Level 3: Speak with animals
Level: 5 Beast Sense
Level 9: Speak with Plants
Level 13: Locate Creature
Level: 17 Commune with Nature

Nature's Vale (Replaces Hide in Plain Sight)
Allows you to essentially cast greater invisibility on yourself until the start of your next turn.(you can only use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per long rest)

Favoured Foe (Replaces Favourite Enemy)
When you hit a creature, you can mark it for 1 minute or until you lose concentration. Once per turn you can add 1d4 to a damage roll. This becomes 1d6 at level 6 and 1d8 at level 14 (you can only use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per long rest)

Outside of favoured foe, which is basically just a worse hunter's mark that still takes concentration, I really like these changes – they're not game changing buffs, but I think they finally give Ranger a niche that justifies its existence in 5E outside of the grandfather clause.
Not bad, Primeval Awareness is certainy a pain in the ass a lot of the time and not really even that useful other than for cheesing poor DMs' encounters/areas.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about to start a new campaign as a circle of spores druid

Question: Now that druids can learn elemental weapon, does this mean that I can combine all of the following?

Shillelagh + green flame blade (learned from magic initiate) + symbiotic entity + elemental weapon?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about to start a new campaign as a circle of spores druid

Question: Now that druids can learn elemental weapon, does this mean that I can combine all of the following?

Shillelagh + green flame blade (learned from magic initiate) + symbiotic entity + elemental weapon?

I'm relying upon the UA version of Circle of Spores since I don't have my Tasha's yet, but I think this works, but requires setup. Unless I'm reading it wrong:

- Elemental weapon is an action and lasts up to one hour (concentration)
- Shillelagh is a bonus action and lasts 1 minute
- Symbiotic Entity requires an action in lieu of standard wild shape and lasts 10 minutes.
- Green Flame Blade is an action and makes the attack

You could walk around with Elemental Weapon cast in a dungeon or something, expecting combat, but the shorter durations of Shillelagh and Symbiotic entity mean you're not likely to have them ready unless you know you're about to enter combat, so in most cases your first turn is spent casting those two, and you wouldn't get to attack with Green Flame Blade until your second turn. You'd have to decide if that's worth it.

Last edited: