• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The interview begins with an inquiry into how the project started. Tsukuda says that when thinking of how interesting the Nintendo Switch's portable and table modes were, and of a project that would be able to make use of these, he got an idea for a mecha game.

When asked about what sort of game it is, Tsukuda says that the player assumes the role of a mercenary known as an Outer, who uses a powered suit type mecha called an Arsenal to fight enemy AIs. The player can take weapons from defeated enemies and equip them immediately, and can go freely between the ground and air. Due to this, choosing the right equipment loadout for where you fight is important.

Tsukuda says that the title is derived from Greek "deus ex machina". As the player advances in the game and becomes an ace pilot, they become "something like a god or demon" to the enemy, and that is what resulted in him changing "deus" to "daemon". He purposely went with "daemon" instead of "demon" due to its use in computing, but cannot go into details due to its role in the story.

Tsukuda says that when they first began development, many of the staff were not used to the comic-style graphics, and things like shadows ended up still looking realistic. It was only after he told the person in charge not to be afraid of doing things differently and to make something to match the style that the solid black shadows were made.

The interview concludes with Tsukuda saying that Daemon X Machina tries out many new things, and Kawamori saying that it will be a game worth playing, and both hope that people will look forward to it.

There's a whole lot more in the article, so go check it out!

Source: http://www.frontlinejp.net/2018/06/21/daemon-x-machina-developer-interview/

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Now it makes a bit more sense why Nintendo is the publisher even though Marvelous is a publishing company themselves.

Designing a game purposefully for the Switch would feel a lot better if Nintendo liked the direction you were going.

I still don't get what specifically is different other than the less demanding graphical techniques.

Regardless I'm still interested in it.

Mechanically it looks way more enjoyable than Starlink.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Not much new info, but I'm keeping an eye on this game for sure. I like what we've seen and where it's heading.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Didn't he more or less invent(or if nothing else popularize)the mecha and magical girl genre? And whatever the heck you'd consider Devilman?

Yes and yes.

He's also Hideaki Anno's primary source of inspiration between Mazinga and Devilman, and Hideaki Anno basically inspired every mecha anime post Eva (the most recent example being Darling in the Franxx) so he's a properly Miyazaki-like figure. Take basically any mecha anime ever and if you follow the inspiration you arrive at Go Nagai.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
For those wondering why he says Deus Ex Machina is greek, here's the origin of the Deus Ex Machina, from Antics Greek's theater.
ancient-greek-theater-16-728.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now it makes a bit more sense why Nintendo is the publisher even though Marvelous is a publishing company themselves.

Designing a game purposefully for the Switch would feel a lot better if Nintendo liked the direction you were going.

I still don't get what specifically is different other than the less demanding graphical techniques.
so far, nothing. it's just cel-shaded Armored Core. I'm guessing Marvelous wanted to get back into making their own games outside of Senran Kagura and Nintendo felt there was value in publishing it in the west

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
Looks amazing. Does this game have mech customization/building like Armored Core? That was my favorite aspect of those games.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Zone of the Enders game we dont deserve! OMG this game looks awesome. ZoE3 vives right away.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This is definitely a must buy for me. The thirst for another Armored Core/Mech style game is definitely there.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for this. What I'm not excited for is everyone pronouncing Daemon as Day-mon instead of Demon.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing. Does this game have mech customization/building like Armored Core? That was my favorite aspect of those games.
It seems to have customizable loadouts at least. Not sure about parts. And we can probably forget silly stuff like stabilizers and airfoils ^^
It does, you actually customize the pilot and the Arsenal. As far as upgrades, you can actually do it on the fly. If you see an enemy with a weapon you want you can kill it and use it immdeiately.

Here's the Treehouse segment from e3 last week:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What I've seen of the mechanical design isn't really my thing but definitely down for an action-ey mech game on Switch. Big bosses look super nice, as does the overall colors and atmosphere.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere in 2019...

Exactly opposite of what Reggie claims they have done this E3 aka only focussing on 2018.

No offense, but I can't tell if people on here are just...stupid, or if they still don't realize "focusing on 201x" doesn't means ONLY showing games releasing in 201x. Like how many times does this have to be the case before that's understood?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
It does, you actually customize the pilot and the Arsenal. As far as upgrades, you can actually do it on the fly. If you see an enemy with a weapon you want you can kill it and use it immdeiately.

Here's the Treehouse segment from e3 last week:

Ooooh, hadn't seen the treehouse. That looks veeeery promising.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the look of the mechs, but otherwise the game looks painfully generic so far.

The environments, enemies, and combat look incredibly bland in that treehouse segment.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
No offense, but I can't tell if people on here are just...stupid, or if they still don't realize "focusing on 201x" doesn't means ONLY showing games releasing in 201x. Like how many times does this have to be the case before that's understood?
Then Reggie shouldn't use it as defense when journalist ask why they haven't shown much new games..
They freaking even kick-started E3 with a game further of. Might as well shown Yoshi, right?

But hey, I just don't like Nintendo PR spins.

This game does look amazing though!

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda hoping that the customization can capture both extremes of Armored Core gameplay pretty well.

Like, if you want to skirt along the ground at high speeds like you're in a Scopedog from VOTOMS (the ACV style), then you can do that. If you want to fly forever like you're an Orbital Frame (For Answer style), you can do that too.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Reggie say stuff getting shown are mainly what's coming in the next several months?
That still leaves enough window for something like February or March 2019 release.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Then Reggie shouldn't use it as defense when journalist ask why they haven't shown much new games..
They freaking even kick-started E3 with a game further of. Might as well shown Yoshi, right?

But hey, I just don't like Nintendo PR spins.

This game does look amazing though!
but that argument still holds. They focused on 2018, while sneaking in 2 titles for 2019, DxM and FE. I think the idea and gimmick of the new Yoshi game has been well conveyed, and showing it would have been pretty much a new level or two.

The part that baffle me is that people are upset that they surprised us with a couple of games for next year.

It's like me saying I'm gonna give you 5 dollars when i see you next. When we meet i give you 6 bucks as a surprise. I'm pretty sure it'd be a welcome addition and you'd appreciate it.

But on Era, either i'm a liar, or i should've just gave you 10 bucks since i gave you 6 anyway.

Profound Sadness.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
The interview begins with an inquiry into how the project started. Tsukuda says that when thinking of how interesting the Nintendo Switch's portable and table modes were, and of a project that would be able to make use of these, he got an idea for a mecha game.

But the game has nothing to do with the switch being portable and it doesn't look like it would make use of it.

Why he doesn't outright say that he wanted to make that kind of game and Nintendo offered to fund it?

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Zone of the Enders game we dont deserve! OMG this game looks awesome. ZoE3 vives right away.

It definitely seems more Armored Core than ZOE gameplay style wise.

This should hold us over until the new Armored Core release.

I'm kinda hoping that the customization can capture both extremes of Armored Core gameplay pretty well.

Like, if you want to skirt along the ground at high speeds like you're in a Scopedog from VOTOMS (the ACV style), then you can do that. If you want to fly forever like you're an Orbital Frame (For Answer style), you can do that too.

We can pretty much fly with no reserves already as show in the treehouse demo. Definitely eager to see the customization options even if it won't be as deep as AC.

Last edited: