• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
You can read the full article and interview at The Guardian here

I ask if she thinks it has been easier to be confident and navigate her celebrity because of the privilege in her life – of boarding school, her upbringing and so on? Ridley is suddenly incredulous.

"The privilege I have – how? No, genuinely, how?"

Well, I say, in terms of wealth, class, education – that kind of privilege, in knowing how to decode the rules in certain spaces. As a caveat, I add that both of us have privilege, and it's not a criticism; I was simply curious to know what she thought. Things take an awkward turn.

"Well no, because, no… " There is a very long and tense pause, before she insists that, actually, there is little difference between her experience and that of her co-star John Boyega, who grew up in south London to British Nigerian immigrant parents. "John grew up on a council estate in Peckham and I think me and him are similar enough that… no." I don't point out that members of Ridley's family were establishment figures (her grandfather, John Ridley OBE, was head of engineering at the BBC from 1950 to 1965; his brother was the Dad's Army actor and playwright Arthur Ridley), while Boyega had to apply for a hardship fund to join Theatre Peckham.

"Also," she adds, "I went to a boarding school for performing arts, which was different." (Her publicist later calls to clarify that Ridley won a scholarship.)

But surely nine years of private education gave her some additional confidence?

"No." Ridley leans on her elbow while twirling a small knot in her hair. "No. I think, also, it has taken me a little while to be OK with it. I was always fairly confident, and I think that comes from being part of a big family who are all quite chatty."

It's an unexpectedly defensive detour, as if the mere mention of privilege is an attempt to diminish Ridley's hard work or talent. I try to change the subject but get the distinct feeling that her publicist, sitting behind me in Ridley's eyeline, has made some sort of silent intervention. "I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong," Ridley adds. "I've just never been asked that before, so I'm like, oh. I don't think so." We move on.

[mod edit: thread title edited for accuracy]

Last edited by a moderator:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like something she's ever really thought of before.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
source.gif

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Something about her words seems out of context. In fact the question provides little context, and therefore she struggles to figure out what is being asked. It seems.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope she opens her eyes to it now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Reads more like she's on the defensive considering all the attacks she's whethered. I'd give her a little time to think about just what they were asking and see what she thinks.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an incredibly loaded and controversial question that I'm gonna dump on you out of nowhere, you better answer it right.

It's clear she had never been asked that before and had no idea how to even begin to answer it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think her agent and/or Disney would prep their actors from when interviewers throw out gotcha questions like this. Its not like they don't do it all the damn time now.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when our teacher in HS pretty much schooled all of us about privilege one day and a lot of the responses were very similar to this. I don't think a lot of (white) people think about it much until they are confronted by it. Daisy sounds ignorant on the subject and she admits as much.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Feels kind of a cheap blow, but it also shows how white people don't realize their privileges

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's a very weird question to ask. Interviewer know what he/she was doing.

"But surely nine years of private education gave her some additional confidence?"

The fuck does that EVEN MEAN?! I personally know so many people who had private education and they are no better than me and I'm no better than them.

This is a case of "you had a good life. Tell us, why you deserved it and we didn't?"

People saying WhItE PeOpLe PriVileGe, do you expect her to say "You're right. I'm white. Fuck you all. Fuck you Boyega cause you're black"?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an incredibly loaded and controversial question that I'm gonna dump on you out of nowhere, you better answer it right.

It's clear she had never been asked that before and had no idea how to even begin to answer it.

never having been asked this question before (which in itself is a privilege) is not really an excuse here tbh

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it might be difficult to articulate an appropriate answer to those questions in a press junket interview. Their brains are probably mush by now. Not making excuses.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019

The fact that someone in her position has never been asked that or been made to think about is exactly the issue surely

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol. What an ignorant response.

Shows how sheltered in a bubble of privilege she is that she's never remotely thought this through

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people fail to recognize their privilege but these quotes don't really even make sense. I'd love to see the raw transcript as much of this is paraphrased or injected by the author, including the questions

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that someone in her position has never been asked that or been made to think about is exactly the issue surely
"I ask if she thinks it has been easier to be confident and navigate her celebrity because of the privilege in her life"

This is a super weird way to bring up privilege, you think that's a common question to ask someone?

Yeah, the privilege that I got from my grandfather being an engineer for the BCC gave me more confident to tackle being an unknown one day to being the star of Star Wars the next. Like, come on.

It's such a word question.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Also not sure why the question was ever brought up? Author tries to backtrack and saying how they both grew up with privilege and it wasn't meant to detour the interview, bullshit. That's the only reason for such a question.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

"But surely nine years of private education gave her some additional confidence?"

The fuck does that EVEN MEAN?! I personally know so many people who had private education and they are no better than me and I'm no better than them.

This is a case of "you had a good life. Tell us, why you deserved it and we didn't?"

People saying WhItE PeOpLe PriVileGe, do you expect her to say "You're right. I'm white. Fuck you all. Fuck you Boyega cause you're black"?

That's not the general rule though. It's not that "they are better", it's that people know that better credentials open more doors. If you were lucky enough for that, well good for you, but if you don't realize that for the majority without access to that it will always be harder in life, then you are kind of lost.

So no, she's not gonna say "I'm white fuck you", but if you realize that you'll have it easier thanks to better, earlier education, as well as a better social/economic standing, you wouldn't ever think your situation is the same as others.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yeah that was really strange, going to private school doesn't automatically mean you're more confident and it was her parents that chose to put her into that type of school in the first place.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
"I ask if she thinks it has been easier to be confident and navigate her celebrity because of the privilege in her life"

This is a super weird way to bring up privilege, you think that's a common question to ask someone?
That's what privilege is so yeah? Seems like a standard question to me.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy her delivery of this line later in the article:

"I don't know, just hanging out. I worked in Abercrombie & Fitch as a mere T-shirt folder."

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Ofcourse. Now the stance has changed like "oh I read it in wikipedia". FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH YOUR WEAK-ASS JOURNALISM.

Where can I apply to be a WEAK-ASS journalism getting opportunities to ask people these WEAK-ASS baited questions?
So the journalist lied their ass off?

Hmm, I wonder why she would do that