SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty happy so far with my XSX. I know there's not a ton in the way of exclusives coming out until Halo Infinite, but I'm thankfully finding plenty of content to rotate around. It helps that I have a "big" game always on the rotation, went from Valhalla to Y:LaD, and am seriously eyeing Immortals when I'm done with that. But then I got plenty of small games on the backlog too, playing through The Touryst and Celeste right now, and got The Medium, Outer Wilds, Cross Code, etc. on the wings. Also planning on replaying the Halo campaigns and finally finishing H5 before November, and got a bunch of GAASes that I could always hop back onto with SoT and FH4.

Yeah not everything's a next gen only showcase, but that's not what it's about. Content will come, and though I could've enjoyed these on my X1X, I'm still feeling the next gen goodness with AC:V and Gears 5/Hivebusters, and Quick Resume too.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This is why you never buy new consoles at launch. There is no need to buy a PS5/Series XS for a while unless you're obsessed with Demon's Souls or it's your first console.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
A bit yeah. But I also have a pretty nice gaming PC, so the visuals and shorter load times were things I was already accustomed to. The delays due to pandemic and other factors didn't help for games I was interested in, like Halo.

However I did put off on jumping into a handful of games, knowing/hoping they'd look and/or play better on next gen systems. Glad I did this with a few games, currently going through GoT now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's less of an issue compared to previous gen for me because of the PS5 being BC with the PS4. I only had 2 base model PS4s, so a lot of games, for me, are going to have the PS4 Pro enhancements or better and the few PS5 games I have are still good. It's not like, say, WiiU launch where the only thing I played for weeks was Ninja Gaiden 3 RE (I didn't do Wii BC on that because I was too used to playing my games off an external HDD)..

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Well i sold my Base PS4 and Switch before getting a PS5 (my only console and gaming related device now) so at least to me it was about upgrading my console and future proofing it, having a bunch of fun with Cold War, Miles and Demon's Souls plus my upgraded backlog.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
That's what consumerism does to us. It makes us feel like the next thing we buy will solve our problems and fill the hunger, but it's never enough. Instead of sating our desire, it is replaced by a deeper hunger.

A hunger for a 12 pack of McNuggets but dipped in Chik-Fil-A sauce and washed down with Baja Blast.

This is a fact about capitalism.

Nah, that's definitely a you problem.

The PS5 sated perfectly adequately my expectations and I have no desire to buy anything further yet.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, this has been a great time to catch up on a ton of backlog games I've missed.
This.

I got my PS5, love it. Demon's Souls and Astro, the controller. Its great.

I'm now playing Crosscode with Ghosts of Tsushima, Metro Exodus, The Surge 2, Greedfall, The Outer Worlds, Yakuza 6, 13 Sentinals, Control, Pyre, Xcom 2, and literally 100+ other games in my digital library to play...

I'm good lol.

Roryh

Nov 4, 2020
This is the first time I got a next gen console Day One and still waiting for it to feel next gen.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its always like that after a console releases. I learned not to hop on until a good year after the fact a long time ago

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The PS2/3/4 were much worse. PS2 games looked much better than PS1 games, same for PS3 vs PS2. PS4 straight up could not play the end of gen games from the PS3 which were better in everything but performance and graphics. This gen playing an end of last gen at twice the frame rate (for those unlocked) and better load times makes the generation transition a much better experience.
I'll be mostly playing PS4 games once I manage to put DS down (already got the platinum, can't stop playing). I'll probably grab sackboy after playing 3-4 PS4 games from my backlog.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
It's always like this, but I'm playing more now than I have in years. A couple console launches under my belt and the promise of backwards compatibility put me on pause the last year and a half or so. I'm now playing more stable versions of the games I was eyeing before.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a "now what?" feeling about what to start playing next, but I don't have a PS5 or either Xbox Series console.
Mine is just purely deciding what to play on my backlog.

Thought I was in a Metroidvania mood, so I started Hollow Knight, but it's so gigantic and I'm not sure I want to commit to a long hard game right now.
Then went to replay Axiom Verge, but wanted to play something I hadn't played yet.
Then started Bloodstained and I am enjoying it, not sure why it took me so long to finally play it.

I'll probably keep chipping away at that, but I still feel like there's something else I want to play...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This feeling was so pervasive after the ps4 launch that I ended up giving up on the console entirely

Oct 27, 2017
Idk what you expected but I always take Jan-Feb as a time to stop paying attention to big announcements and hype cycle and catch up on backlog. Then in March when big releases start trickling in I start the hype cycle for myself.

Cyanity
Did you ever get a PS4 after that? It was slow early on but if I recall around March more and more stuff started to hit. Infamous, Octodad, Towerfall, Watch Dogs, etc.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This has been every console launch I've been a part of. Especially the PS3. Those were rough times.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Nope. Every time I quick resume into a game even after having the SX completely powered off still blows my mind. Games-wise, I've been having a lot of fun, now playing Gears Hivebusters, with a bit of PES on the side. Yakuza was my main game from launch and was awesome, I finished Cyberpunk this week after 120 hours or so and definitely got my enjoyment despite its flaws.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what you expected but I always take Jan-Feb as a time to stop paying attention to big announcements and hype cycle and catch up on backlog. Then in March when big releases start trickling in I start the hype cycle for myself.

Cyanity
Did you ever get a PS4 after that? It was slow early on but if I recall around March more and more stuff started to hit. Infamous, Octodad, Towerfall, Watch Dogs, etc.
Nope, I ended up going in on all the good 1st party output for the Wii U (and monster hunter!) and PC. Been a Switch and PC person since then. My partner has a PS4 Pro at his apartment though, so I've been playing all the essential Sony exclusives through that!

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I honestly didn't think we needed next gen yet. Felt like the PS4 had plenty of life left in it IMO.. but I bought both of the new systems and will just take it as it comes. Feels a little strange that there is such a lull right now in game releases though.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I get where you're coming from OP, hype has gone down a bit the last few weeks, but in my case I'll just enjoy my backlog and play PS4 games with faster load times and other improvements (I only ever had a base PS4). Also haven't even finished my PS5 launch games.
I have always the next sale to look forward to as there's loads of great PS4 games I haven't played. Outriders is releasing soon-ish, so is Destruction Allstars.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Post-launch in the midst of a pandemic that has affected game development schedules in ways we may never hear the full stories of. I'm also feeling what you're feeling, but I also expected it. I've got a backlog to work on anyways.

(Although my hype will absolutely return once Ratchet & Clank gets a release date)

OGlol

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Nope, it's been pretty great so far and I'm extremely excited for PS5's 2021 lineup. After seeing how good games looked at the end of PS4's lifespan i'm ready for this long ride.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I finally got to order a PS5 the other day and realized that I don't really want it right now.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Bought a PSVR instead of a next gen console this week. I'll get the wow factor for some times until there's enough trully worthwhile games to play on PS5.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
This is why you never buy new consoles at launch. There is no need to buy a PS5/Series XS for a while unless you're obsessed with Demon's Souls or it's your first console.

That's not really true. The new consoles run other games much better than the old ones.

I haven't got a Series X yet, but the loading times in FH4 are making me think about upgrading from my X1X.

www.eurogamer.net

Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox Series X and S is upgraded in key areas but downgraded in others

Forza Horizon 4 isn't just one of the best Xbox exclusives, it's also one of the greatest racing games ever made. A cou…

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I honestly didn't think we needed next gen yet. Felt like the PS4 had plenty of life left in it IMO.. but I bought both of the new systems and will just take it as it comes. Feels a little strange that there is such a lull right now in game releases though.

Use "I", not " we". The market as a whole were clearly more than ready for new consoles. That's why they are sold out.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
As someone that doesn't have a ton of time to play (work, family, etc) I'm still super hyped about next gen. Only platinum Astro bot and it was such a great experience, such a positive vibe all the time with that game. I need to run through Demon's Souls, but being able to play games like GoT and Sekiro in 4K/60fps allows me to wait a few months for native titles to launch. Also, waiting for a few extra controllers to arrive in order to play Sackboy with my family.

I also didn't buy a PS4 Pro, so I wonder if that helps me get a sense of bigger leap from generation to generation. I do have a 4K HDR TV so the upgrade is super welcome. Everything looks sharp!

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Use "I", not " we". The market as a whole were clearly more than ready for new consoles. That's why they are sold out.
This is a really bizarre and pointless reply since I prefaced it with specifying what I think. Either way, most people just buy new consoles because they're available and there are no new games out. Just because it happened though doesn't mean that it was needed yet.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

There are too many reasons why these consoles have been worth it even without next gen experiences outside of sports titles.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
A bit, yeah.

I played and beat the only Next-Gen game (Miles Morales) I was interested in. Cyberpunk was supposed to be the story driven game to hold me for a month or two but we know how that has gone.

Since December, its been me dipping in COD multiplayer for a few hours every week.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I still have so many games of the last gen that I wanna play and I'm already excited with 3 or 5 five games of the new generation, so I think I am ok, I know that I will never have time to play everything that I want, so the new generation is in a fine "pace" for me. I also like to spend time dreaming with the possibilites and games that will eventualy be announced, is time to enjoy we already have and let things flow

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I've been there, but honestly with the new platforms being completely friendly with the old generation, I have no shortage of things to play (have PS5 and Series X)

In progress I have playthroughs of Assassins Creed Valhalla, Demons Souls, Spiderman: Miles Morales, Immortals: Fenix Rising, the whole Halo AND Gears franchise (gamepass), 13 Sentinel, Cyberpunk, Yakuza Like a Dragon, just finished Cold Steel 4 (playthrough started on PS4, carried to PS5) plus take in some MP stuff like Cod, Rocket league, Madden in bursts, too.

Not all of these are next gen games, yet they all play great on the new machines, everything loads fast, great frame rates, features like quick resume, make it all really convenient and the hardware/new controllers are a pleasure to use all around.

So I'm good:) Its actually quite a contrast to PS4 back in 2013, early 2014 when you played Killzone and Knack (both OK, but far from awe inspiring games where I really had to push to find software to play on it (and nothing from PS3 worked on it where I had this huge library of stuff I probably would have been better off playing...

Instead, I bought a LOT of crappy early PS4games just thirsting to play something on the new shiny PS4- here I just got oodles of things to play on the new platforms (even if they all aren't necessarily "next gen" games) and its honestly been great.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BC is making the difference for me. Playing Days Gone and having 60 FPS and faster load time, something not available on PS4.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
There's always a drought after a console launch, but people are wrong in saying this is the same as prior consoles. The Series X launched without a single exclusive game! The PS5 barely had any either, and there's been nothing but a handful of upgrade patches for either console since. I bought both at launch, as I've done for nearly every console since the 64. There's an obvious reason why it's like this, but this launch is very much different. I can't imagine there being anything to shake things up any time soon either.

Dec 21, 2017
I have Series X, been playing Gears 5 and Halo The Master Chief Collection. I've been happy. I also have Miles Morales for PS4 which is great so I didn't have to buy that HUGE PS5 to play it.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Not so much this time around. The ease of BC with the previous generation makes it super easy to continue playing PS4/cross gen games with at least baseline improvements (loading times etc). I played through Immortals, working my way through Like A Dragon right now, which should leave me in a good spot for Hitman 3.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I am interested in the games that came out and consider both consoles super-cool and interesting pieces of technology, but I also spent too much money on upgrading an already good PC into a system that simply outclasses anything the consoles can do, which then of course proportionally made me lose interest in playing lots of games on those consoles.

Still, and importantly, I find buying and reselling console games much, much cheaper than buying PC games - which lately have gone on much less aggressive sales than console titles in the first 2-3 months of release and cannot be resold - which is a big factor for how many games I can try and play, so they are both getting some playtime. Plus, PS5 has had some excellent exclusives.

Now we just need more games.

nath999

May 7, 2018
No not at all, I knew exactly what to expect. I got the three next gen games and then the slew of my last gen backlog that may get a minor performance upgrade.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I'm in the middle of playing Demon's Souls and Dragon Quest 11 S and the PS5 Version of Borderlands 3 are waiting to be played.

Love the new tech. So many QoL improvements.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I'm playing games I deliberately passed on so I could experience them smoother and faster. Like I haven't even started Ghosts of Tsushima.

I wish there were more games that were next gen exclusive but I knew its gonna take a while. Since both consoles are essentially 100% backwards compatible it hasn't been a big deal at all. I already sold my old One X and PS4 Pro on offerup soon after I got the new consoles, so it was a smooth transition.

The only bummer is waiting for next gen updates, like I want to play Yakuza 7 and Control on PS5 but neither have the next gen patches scheduled for anytime soon. No big deal, i have plenty else to play for now and Hitman 3 in 2 weeks.

The biggest disappointment was Cyberpunk 2077, I honestly thought about building a new PC to play it around a 3080/etc but its kinda worked out that game isn't that great, I can delay a PC upgrade until ?? Not even sure what the next game would be I'd rather play on PC than console, only one I can think of is Star Citizen lol