Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'll at least check out any Lindelof show.
Not familiar with the other half of this duo.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the few who hated his take on Watchmen but I guess I can see it working for Lanterns.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Color me interested.

The Leftovers is my favorite show of all time and I honestly don't think Lindelof has made a show I've disliked.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Leftovers, Watchmen and Ms Davis are amazing shows

Haven't heard exactly good things about the other people 's show, but ms davis was co-created with a young sheldon creator, so Damon cam make it work

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
YES

Edit: Goddamn, on second thought, this is insanely hype. Easily my most hyped superhero thing in a long, long time now.

Last edited:

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
i know the cost of CGI has gone down over the years (through ruthless competition and races to the bottom, but still) but i really think a story set in space about people whose powers are literally just "CGI" is really going to push up against the limits of a TV budget unless this is like the most expensive show ever produced

OP
OP

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Well those are certainly some big ass names. Hopefully this actually happens.
We can take from that Gunn certainly is holding the GL IP with the utmost importance for him to go after such names.

Maybe he just sees the IP potential to truly explode or stuff happening in that corner will be of vital elements to DCU and they can't really afford to mess with it.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Curious why the show is called Lanterns and not Green Laterns....
It's going to feature more than just Green Lanterns like Hal and John?

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Well this is interesting, a Drama as well. I'm in. Where due DC shows stream. Max?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
live action not animated?

wasn't a fan of Lindelof after Lost but imo he redeemed himself with Watchmen and people always recommend The Leftovers, just never got around to watching it (next time I sub to HBO lol... or it'll probably hit netflix too I guess)

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's on the WGA website, doubt it's a mistake lol. This is most definitely happening
We can take from that Gunn certainly is holding the GL IP with the utmost importance for him to go after such names.

Maybe he just sees the IP potential to truly explode or stuff happening in that corner will be of vital elements to DCU and they can't really afford to mess with it.
Lindelof has walked away from stuff before, and WB's track record of announcing DC projects before things stall out and die is so far in the end of safely assuming speculation-at-best until cameras start rolling. Hell, even that hasn't been a guarantee anymore.

I know we're talking about Gunn's new era of managing these projects, and I'm have plenty of faith in him creatively. I don't have faith in WB as a whole, let alone a Zaslav-led WB. A deeply ambitious TV project attached to a punchline of a brand isn't where I'm placing my chips as a safe bet.

Let's wait until one or two of these things actually comes out before we start assuming they know how to tie their laces on these things.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I like Damon. His stuff is great. Mrs Davis was one of my favorite shows of the last couple years. I hope this'll be good too!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Lindelof has walked away from stuff before, and WB's track record of announcing DC projects before things stall out and die is so far in the end of safely assuming speculation-at-best until cameras start rolling. Hell, even that hasn't been a guarantee anymore.

I know we're talking about Gunn's new era of managing these projects, and I'm have plenty of faith in him creatively. I don't have faith in WB as a whole, let alone a Zaslav-led WB. A deeply ambitious TV project attached to a punchline of a brand isn't where I'm placing my chips as a safe bet.

Let's wait until one or two of these things actually comes out before we start assuming they know how to tie their laces on these things.

tbf I was speaking to the now and not the hypothetical but I guess you have a fair point

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I absolutely loathed the ending of Watchmen. Haven't seen Lost but its reputation precedes it.

Same here. And I'm still mad about Lost.

They've been rumoured to be involved in this project for quite some time as well.

From the source article:

It's notable that Lindelof and Britt-Gibson were initially brought in as screenwriters for a Star Wars project, but departed in March 2023, according to Deadline. This departure seemingly paved the way for their involvement in Lanterns.

i know the cost of CGI has gone down over the years (through ruthless competition and races to the bottom, but still) but i really think a story set in space about people whose powers are literally just "CGI" is really going to push up against the limits of a TV budget unless this is like the most expensive show ever produced

It'll take place on Earth, judging from the news article (not) credited as the source:

Even though much remains under wraps, James Gunn has said Lanterns is part of DC Studios' Chapter One: Gods and Monsters slate:

We call it Lanterns and it is starring two of our favorite Green Lanterns — Hal Jordan and John Stewart. It's going to be with HBO Max, as all of our series are that we're going to talk about today. It is more of a True Detective–type mystery with our two Lanterns. A terrestrial-based mystery.

This show will apparently have five writers (unclear how many of them will be actual showrunners). If that doesn't end up being a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario, I'll be very surprised.

Dec 17, 2022
Watchmen was legit good…
Ozark started strong and ended poorly…
LOST started strong and ended poorly…

Not sure how I feel about this buddy 🤔
(Please no mystery boxes with bad payoffs)

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Lindelof is working on this. It's certainly made my interest go up from like a 3 to an 8, though.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
LOST, Leftovers, Watchmen 🤌

Finally the first D.C. project Ive been excited for other than Batman