Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I feel like 'creep' is under selling it.

I used to on-off watch them sometimes and Dan would often come out with inappropriate stuff every so often. Like really crossing the line a few times.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
The place this comes from has such a massive hate boner for GG (most likely originated from people getting offended with how they erased the pos JonTron from the show) that even if they had serious proof of actual illegal activities it'd be hard to believe them. Like seriously, I'm not sure I've seen such levels of vitriol before.

Edit: needless to say it's wrong if he's taking advantage of and forcing people from a position of power. Just surprised at how bad that subreddit is.

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Is this piece of shit not married? If he doesn't respect himself or his fans, can he at least respect the oath he swore? Disgusting.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Is this piece of shit not married? If he doesn't respect himself or his fans, can he at least respect the oath he swore? Disgusting.
Arin is married

Dan had been perpetually single until the last year or so, which bodes poorly with these accusations
I thought the implication of this being posted was "now we'll finally get Arin's game" which seemed a bit tone deaf. Apologies if that's not what was meant but that's how it read to me.
Nah. My post was just for the beginning of the video, which is the Game Grumps theme without Dan. Because it's really hard to see how he comes back from this situation as is

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The place this comes from has such a massive hate boner for GG (most likely originated from people getting offended with how they erased the pos JonTron from the show) that even if they had serious proof of actual illegal activities it'd be hard to believe them. Like seriously, I'm not sure I've seen such levels of vitriol before.

Edit: needless to say it's wrong if he's taking advantage of and forcing people from a position of power. Just surprised at how bad that subreddit is.
Their actions is what bring hate nothing else

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I...think he's engaged? I know he's been in a relationship for a couple years, but I can't remember if it's proceeded past that or not, especially with covid happening.

EDIT: looking it up it doesn't seem like there was ever mention of them getting engaged, so scratch that.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Removed all the NSP stuff from my Spotify. Hopefully Brian says something about this, but at this point the band is dead to me.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

The subreddit is probably the worst place for information like this to come out due to their extremely toxic nature and history of fabrication. That said these are serious allegations and with receipts in the end it doesn't matter where the information came from.

Everyone on reddit seems to be focused on debating the grooming aspect due to lack of available information. However I find the claims of dans former assistant much more damning. She was friends with dan, Suzy, arin, Ross and holly etc. She describes her time working with the grumps like a family and she even lived with Ross and holly. She claims that Dans sexual behaviour was in full swing back then, including luring her own partner from her. The thing that doesn't sit right with me is that if you're new to the grumps family and you notice this going on shouldn't the rest of them be well aware?

Last edited:

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It's really not that hard not to groom children ffs.

The Danny thing has rocked me. It makes sense when you let yourself think about it- he's admitted to hooking up with people, has called himself a slut, admitted to ghosting after hookups in his past but you never want to think he's doing this with fans. My mind never went there. I never saw him as that person.
As long as it's with consenting adults there's nothing wrong with hooking up and being a slut.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
another one bites the dust.

one day we will look back to this era and we will ask ourselves how we left grown ass "adult" interact so freely with minors.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I will say that these allegations have popped up multiple times. You just have to listen to Dan, his music, his aesthetic and personal history to understand that a big proponent of his idea of fame is or was the 'rockstar lifestyle'. The star/groupie dynamic is one hundred percent a part of that. If you are surprised he'd sleep with fans, you haven't been paying attention. He's whole gimmick is a nice nerd who became a star and he clearly milked as much as he could. I'm not saying this to make people feel like it isn't wrong, I'm just stating that it's not surprising and shouldn't be.

As to the new wrinkle, his taste in partners has always been younger, his current long term partner and he have a sizeable gap of years, probably similar to the gap being talked about here. With that in mind, in this allegation, we are looking at someone in their mid thirties hooking up with someone in their early twenties. The big question is when that relationship become sexual and at what point did that occur. Was it while that person was underage? Was that always the intention?

r/rantgrumps as the name suggests have many issues with the channel and how it is run and often tries to stir controversy. They are problematic in their own right and tend to have an alt-right slant to their agenda. And they are still sore JonTron was canned.

We don't have firm information on when this happened. Obviously more information is needed. There is a lot of evidence that Dan did use his position and fame to have relationships with fans. These interactions all seem to end with sex followed by ghosting and he does not come out of these interactions looking good at all. Vain, self-aborbed, manipulative.

While browsing twitter I saw these:

Parasocial relationships make these situations increasingly difficult for people. Online Personas and the real life actions of the people who create them rarely fit together, we only get to see the parts of a person they present and get jarred by the reality of them. Dan is the hippie dippie co host of a let's play channel. He tends to talk more thoughtfully about depression and life, which made people really connect with him and his nerd made good story. He is also a much older guy compared to his general fan base and more inclined to make off colour jokes about race and is misinformed about many things and excuse himself with the, 'I have a Chinese friend,' argument.

He's been disappointingly problematic for years.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
20 years from now and it'll only be Jeff Gerstmann yelling at a camera among a bunch of 20 somethings

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
At some point there will only be, like, James Rolfe left.

James has been doing this a long time, is happily married with kids and seems like the type not to mess around like this. I'd be super disappointed if he ended up on the pile.

Dan seemed like he had nothing holding him up and let the fame go to his head like lots of YouTubers.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's really not that hard not to groom children ffs.

As long as it's with consenting adults there's nothing wrong with hooking up and being a slut.
To be clear from my previous posts, hooking up and being a slut isn't wrong. Hooking up and ghosting people is assholish but not really the issue here.

Stories about working the fans 20 years younger than him are what left me so unsettled.

And yeah, rantgrumps is largely a black hole of shitposts from deranged alt-right redditors and Jontron fans but these stories are smoke to fire. And Danny's former assistant chiming in.

I looked up to Dan, I hope he does the right thing here and speaks on it in an honest way. Considering how others have handled similar situations, I don't really know what to expect.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Damn it, he was suposed to be one of the good ones. This is gonna suck for Arin.

Now only SuperMega and SuperBeardBro's are left in my subs.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
James Rolfe publicly said Mike Matei is no longer associated with his stuff.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Matei left on his own accord (and I seem to remember hearing his departure was amicable), and wasn't fired.

Wasn't referring to Matei exclusively anyways, I remember one of the rental reviews guys did a nazi gag of some kind. I know that bit is dead--point is James can claim ignorance (and Lord knows he has), but he doesn't seem all that bothered to collaborate with dipshits.

Last edited:

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't more content creators be like the Giant Bomb type and treat it as a profession, rather than getting internet clout to do what they want

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't more content creators be like the Giant Bomb type and treat it as a profession, rather than getting internet clout to do what they want

Those guys have been doing this stuff as employees since the beginning in the 90s. Obviously Gamegrumps is a YouTube channel that had no guarantee of money. It's a very different mindset.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Those guys have been doing this stuff as employees since the beginning in the 90s. Obviously Gamegrumps is a YouTube channel that had no guarantee of money. It's a very different mindset.
Disagree. There's been plenty of young hires by GB who were professional and not just looking for some e-fame and clout.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post in a Sensitive Thread
"The age at which any sexual activity happened makes absolutely no difference in the severity of these allegations."

Does it not? Not even in the legal vs illegal age difference, but if they'd had sex at 18 there would be more of a case for grooming and waiting until she's of legal age. Even if you think the age difference between someone in their late 30s and someone in their early 20s is gross and Dan's behaviours is shitty, there's a world of difference from the former.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
GiantBomb is run by a man who dropped out of high school, has been working in the industry since the 90s and literally got fired by Gamespot because of his unwillingness to abandon his personal standards. It's really hard for a website to gather shit people when that's the integrity of the person who is running it all.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Well, this certainly sucks and is incredibly disgusting. My wife and I have been fans of the show since Dan started, and for me some of Arin's stuff since the NG days. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this as it unfolds.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
"The age at which any sexual activity happened makes absolutely no difference in the severity of these allegations."

Does it not? Not even in the legal vs illegal age difference, but if they'd had sex at 18 there would be more of a case for grooming and waiting until she's of legal age. Even if you think the age difference between someone in their late 30s and someone in their early 20s is gross and Dan's behaviours is shitty, there's a world of difference from the former.
This isn't a court of law, trying to frame the situation only in its legal aspects is manipulative.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

The fact that he started talking to her when she was a minor (that she porvide proof of), and after she become older he started to have sexual conversations and used his celebrity status to manipulate her to just have sex and dump her immediately after it, doesn't make it look less of a creep.

Just because he waited for her to be legal, doesn't make him look less of human garbage.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I never heard of this creep or game grumps and this news cements I'll never have to hear about him or them ever again probably. Good on the victims for stepping forward.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
GiantBomb is run by a man who dropped out of high school, has been working in the industry since the 90s and literally got fired by Gamespot because of his unwillingness to abandon his personal standards. It's really hard for a website to gather shit people when that's the integrity of the person who is running it all.

I mean, they frequently brought on Max Temkin. GB's culture was not exactly repelling shitheads, either. Not saying the main cast of GB is like Temkin, but even a show tied to big corporate owners celebrated bad people like that for years.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he started talking to her when she was a minor (that she porvide proof of), and after she become older he started to have sexual conversations and used his celebrity status to manipulate her to just have sex and dump her immediately after it, doesn't make it look less of a creep.

Just because he waited for her to be legal, doesn't make him look less of human garbage.
Sorry if I've missed something, and this is more academic than anything that would excuse his shit behaviour, but doesn't it seem like the relationship didn't turn sexual until quite a while after she came of age (ie. the evidence comes from when she was about 22)?

I mean, he wouldn't have waited long if what I've read is correct and the first message was barely a month before she turned eighteen.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sorry if I've missed something, and this is more academic than anything that would excuse his shit behaviour, but doesn't it seem like the relationship didn't turn sexual until quite a while after she came of age (ie. the evidence comes from when she was about 22)?

I mean, he wouldn't have waited long if what I've read is correct and the first message was barely a month before she turned eighteen.
The relation didn't turn fisical until 22. But their online enchange started before, in conversation.
When it happened was a matter of oportunity, when they both meet.
That ended the second he got what he wanted from her.
Also this is not a 1 time thing. Dan has a documented history of doing this

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The relation didn't turn fisical until 22. But their online enchange started before, in conversation.
When it happened was a matter of oportunity, when they both meet.
That ended the second he got what he wanted from her.
Also this is not a 1 time thing. Dan has a documented history of doing this
Absolutely fair, and it's an abuse of the power dynamics at the absolute least. The paedophilia talk muddies the waters, though- he's plenty enough of a creep without that.

Status
Not open for further replies.