• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So big chance all this announcement is in Gamescom, in around 7 more days right? You have those two VAs, specifically tied with Capcom franchise and the last thing the collaborate is DMCV. I think it safe to say, it is something related to DMCV. I mean, there's no way Capcom announce movie or animated series in game convention right?

To be honest I think its some behind the scenes stuff was shown. Southworth, JYB and Langdon like to show off a lot of that at conventions.

It could be that Capcom didn't approve that footage to be distributed online, but they can show it in a private screening (setting).

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition is next-gen folks. That's how Capcom is going to print money during the downtime years during next-gen. It's the same shit they do this gen with other games and re-releases.

But hey I hope I'm wrong. Would love Co-OP BP and Vergil, Trish Lady playable. Maybe some new weapons for Dante and new devil breakers for Nero too.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Boy it's been a trip watching the complaints about DMC5's level design escalate since launch. Once upon a time it was just mediocre, now we're at 'incredibly bad'. Every time someone brings it up it gets worse.

Anyway, gimme that Vergil DLC, day one, judgment nut, etc.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention as if overrated waifu android simulator like Nier has a 10th of the combat complexity (and variety) of DMC5. Or that Breath of the Wild has 1/100th, lol.

If you beat Nier and all you got from it was "waifu android simulator" then I think we played two different games. No doubt Nier's combat needed WAY more meat on its bones and was easily the weakest element of that game but that game's narrative and the way it made use of the medium of games to tell that narrative absolutely mops the floor with the story telling of its character action contemporaries Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. Don't get me wrong, im always down for the dumb fun stories of Bayonetta and DMC but Nier's story hit me in a way that few games do. I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of history by not seeing what others see in a beloved game. Excluding Wind Walker & BOTW I think 3D Zelda games are some of the most AAA overrated POS games out there. I hated OOT when I got it for Xmas '98 and I hate it now.

Also I reject the notion that every character action game needs combat with DMC-like depth to it. Again, Nier certainly needed much more than it had but it didn't need to be super hardcore to be fun.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Episode Donte

hqdefault.jpg

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I don't regret my time with DMCV but it's not even remotely close to being perfect or the best game ever.

No game is perfect at everything. Not even remotely close.

Most great games are "good enough" at most things. If someone calls Tetris the best game of all time , are you gonna say nah it cant because theres no story ? The games you mentioned also have solid weakness just like every other game.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, they said DMC5 is a good game. Not everyone has to think DMC5 is the best thing ever or GOTY. It's completely fine to not like some parts of DMC5 or don't care about the combat as much as others do. The story and level design criticisms are fair. (if a bit overblown at times)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
If we're just going to rate games by their combat then dmc5 is only the third best dmc. 3 and 4 are already better.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I always find it interesting why people put the entire onus of twitch based action games having a good story soley on the DMC series. I guess DMC3 set the bar high in that perspective?

But like, does anyone even fucking know what's going on in the entire Bayonetta series from a narrative plot perspective outside of suspect crotch shots up Bayo's asshole that make you want to give Kamiya side eye. What was Ninja Gaiden's story? A pissed off Ninja fucking shit up (yes!) Like, they just don't have bad stories their stories are so shit it's incomprehensible.

But somehow DMC5, failed to live up to it's Oscar worthy story expectations. 8/10 shit story great gameplay.
Yeah, it's not really why I come to these games at all. Maybe DmC caused a shift in expectations. But bad story is something I find very easy to overlook with japanese action when so few get it right.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my goodness no not even fucking close.

The delusion around this game i swear.
"The depth of the fighting mechanics and the super strict timing where you have to input buttons in one frame makes it the best game this decade"

... lol

They should've made it a fighting game then.
For a rich fighting experience i go for Tekken 7.
As far as level design and story, DMCV was a huge dissapointment, even the most hardcore fans called it ever since week 1.
Like you mentioned, why even bother trying making a story if they're going to go poorly at it.
DmC made better characters and levels than DMCV.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The depth of the fighting mechanics and the super strict timing where you have to input buttons in one frame makes it the best game this decade"

... lol

As far as level design and story, DMCV was a huge dissapointment, even the most hardcore fans called it ever since week 1.
Like you mentioned, why even bother trying making a story if they're going to go poorly at it.
I mean people obviously look for different things. While it definitely isn't my GotY I'm not gonna fault someone if they do, it's just not an opinion I can agree with.

Frankly I probably shouldn't have been as hostile as I was. Also while I like DmC I still think DMCV has the better cast. Even if they mishandled a lot of them IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you convinced me. Incredibly bad level design, bland story paired up with great gameplay makes for an amazing game.
Glad I convinced you breh o7

... lol

Better characters?
Lmaooo

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Dmc5 isn't that tight on input timings. It's a lot more loose and permissive in that regard when compared with older titles. The lower execution requirements and floaty gravity make aerial combos a lot less exciting unless you cheat engine it.

I agree that the fighting in it is still dope but you have some trying to authoritatively declare it and the peak of action forever more. It ain't that. Top 5 candidate maybe. 3 is still king.

Oct 26, 2017
And you still have given me 0 arguments, all i got was "Lmaooo"
As deep as DMCV story i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The fact that you focus so much on DMC V story when everyone knows it's mediocre as best is telling, and i don't know what arguments to you want, if you seriously think that emo tryhard Dante and baby-killing Vergil measuring his dick size are better characters than OG Dante and Vergil there's nothing more to add.

lmao indeed.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Maybe you guys should just let other people have their opinions and stop trying to act as if yours is some concrete fact. Not sure why everybody feels the need to become hostile as soon as an opinion that doesn't agree with theirs comes up, especially on a topic that's completely subjective anyway.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is probably some video of mocap sessions or something like that. Not getting my hopes up. Revealing DLC in this way makes no sense.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DMC4' intrusive level design made me appreciate 5's laid back approach. I'd prefer it to be better but I like the focus on combat arenas over gimmicks.

Anyway hoping for Trish and Lady to get fully fleshed out but there's no way we're not getting vergil first.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Lets get back on track people.

imo this probably isn't anything grand- The fact that it was shown to people and some asshole hasn't leaked it yet pretty much tells me it nothing.

Plus... Like... Dan Southworth is there.... The original leaker of DMC5's existence lol...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If Vergil gets in, it will be full priced cross gen Special Edition.
Not getting my hopes up.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, they said DMC5 is a good game. Not everyone has to think DMC5 is the best thing ever or GOTY. It's completely fine to not like some parts of DMC5 or don't care about the combat as much as others do. The story and level design criticisms are fair. (if a bit overblown at times)

You got it backwards. Apparently you aren't allowed to call Dmcv Goty because it's just "decent" and we are all delusional.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh, a thread teasing possible DMC announcements by the actors of Dante and Vergil? Well, better get on my soap box to preach how DMCV 'isn't even that good,' my time is now!"

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Sad they had to cut characters due to how expensive it is to photogame them, Patty and Kyrie have to conform with voice cameos but maybe its for the best, seeing as how all women on dmc 5 were naked eye candy only Kyri got her dignity intact
Playable Lady and Trish since they have their movesets built would be nice. I just want to see Nero and Kyrie being happy charity workers together between all the wahoo pizza times haha

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always weird to me when people try to argue against what is obviously an opinion.

Person A: DMC5 is GotY.

Where they obviously mean DMC5 is MY game of the year. But for some reason people act like stating an opinion is stating a fact.

Like...you can't argue with me about my preferences, lol. Why would you want to?

Anyway, hope we get some Vergil DLC. Game is too fucking good to not have Vergil playable.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
that would have been cute to see in the game
I just feel like Japan and video games in general always shy away from the "post game" of relationships. They always talk about getting the girl or boy but never delve after. Seeing a remotely healthy functioning relationship in a video game for once has me wanting another hit of a drug I wasn't getting in gaming. I wish more games delved into it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprisingly the people who are still bitter over DmC being dead and buried are here to tell us that DMC5 wasn't good all along!

Those cryptic teases are walking on my nerves. Just tell me what it is already! Do I look like I'm patient?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Somehow I completely forgot about that Shankar DMC cartoon thingy. Didn't like Castlevanie too much, so I'm kinda wary towards it.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I just feel like Japan and video games in general always shy away from the "post game" of relationships. They always talk about getting the girl or boy but never delve after. Seeing a remotely healthy functioning relationship in a video game for once has me wanting another hit of a drug I wasn't getting in gaming. I wish more games delved into it.
Media in general has a big problem with seeing committed relationships as the endpoint of character growth. See how often TV shows for example have relationships consisting almost entirely of romantic tension, or how in comics, after Spider-Man got married Marvel attempted to retire him and replace him with his clone and eventually undid his marriage through a magical contrivance because the editor-in-chief thought that being married necessitated him growing old and dying.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Media in general has a big problem with seeing committed relationships as the endpoint of character growth. See how often TV shows for example have relationships consisting almost entirely of romantic tension, or how in comics, after Spider-Man got married Marvel attempted to retire him and replace him with his clone and eventually undid his marriage through a magical contrivance because the editor-in-chief thought that being married necessitated him growing old and dying.
That really bums me out. The comic I'm writing/working on has always been designed as the relationship happening fairly early on in the story and then going past that because I feel it's something that can really be explored. But you're right.

Oct 25, 2017
Donte DLC would be cool for the memes, but his playstyle is too similar to Nero. I want Vergil, and I want him playable in every V mission. As I expected, V got boring after a couple of playthroughs.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I've been noticing this as of late as well.

Especially with titles like Persona 5 and Judgment that give you actual dating sim elements. Once you "get the girl" so to speak the story related stuff for those characters basically ends. This was very jarring in Judgment since the stories the girls have are really interesting but sadly becoming the girlfriend is the conclusion and you won't get more story stuff with them after that.

Oct 25, 2017

Especially with titles like Persona 5 and Judgment that give you actual dating sim elements. Once you "get the girl" so to speak the story related stuff for those characters basically ends. This was very jarring in Judgment since the stories the girls have are really interesting but sadly becoming the girlfriend is the conclusion and you won't get more story stuff with them after that.
I'm conflicted on this because it could end up being just too much stuff to do.

Like, it really bums me out that I'll probably never meet Marina again in Yakuza 0 now that I've completed the Real Estate Royale questline, and she's my favorite supporting character in the game, but there's also so much stuff to see and do that it could end up dragging the game down if I still had to keep visiting everyone to get the rest of the dialogue. At some point it could end up just feeling like work instead of a cool way of continuing a relationship. And that wasn't even a romantic one.

I do, however, wish the main story dialogue reflected in some way the growth the characters go through in their social links in Persona games. It feels weird to see them "regressing" in main story missions. Not having a reason to hang out with them anymore can be justified with what I said above, but there's no reason for at least the main story to not reflect that growth.

Well, there's budget for one, but I'd honestly take the dialogue being fixed and reflecting the social links even if I didn't do them over what we have now. It even makes sense, since it changes the characters from "they were able to grow because the MC helped them" to "the MC was present as they were growing, but wasn't required". If the problem is implementing different dialogues based on social links, then don't. It's ok if my character isn't the center of the universe for once.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

It's one of the best things about Mass Effect 3 to me. When you get to the stuff with your chosen love interest like Tali or Garrus they have dialogue in the mission specific to if you're romantic with them and I want more of that. Allow us to become the Mr and Mrs/Mr and Mr/ Mrs and Mrs Smiths of the gaming world.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

IMO, I feel like this topic is thread worthy on it's own

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm conflicted on this because it could end up being just too much stuff to do.

Like, it really bums me out that I'll probably never meet Marina again in Yakuza 0 now that I've completed the Real Estate Royale questline, and she's my favorite supporting character in the game, but there's also so much stuff to see and do that it could end up dragging the game down if I still had to keep visiting everyone to get the rest of the dialogue. At some point it could end up just feeling like work instead of a cool way of continuing a relationship. And that wasn't even a romantic one.

I do, however, wish the main story dialogue reflected in some way the growth the characters go through in their social links in Persona games. It feels weird to see them "regressing" in main story missions. Not having a reason to hang out with them anymore can be justified with what I said above, but there's no reason for at least the main story to not reflect that growth.

Well, there's budget for one, but I'd honestly take the dialogue being fixed and reflecting the social links even if I didn't do them over what we have now. It even makes sense, since it changes the characters from "they were able to grow because the MC helped them" to "the MC was present as they were growing, but wasn't required". If the problem is implementing different dialogues based on social links, then don't. It's ok if my character isn't the center of the universe for once.
While I get what you're saying in terms of budget, it still really bums me out that we can write a million variations of sky beam and bad guy and witty banter I'd prefer to get some more mushy stuff :P

Witcher 3 only had a few lines here and there for it at the climax and it worked well enough as well.

IMO, I feel like this topic is thread worthy on it's own
I'd participate in that lol

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Could this be related?

25th ? isnt Gamescom on the 20th tho ? Could they be doing a "Available now" sorta thing ?

Also holy shit at being subtle. Literally says #DanteVergil LMAO.

It's always weird to me when people try to argue against what is obviously an opinion.

Where they obviously mean DMC5 is MY game of the year. But for some reason people act like stating an opinion is stating a fact.

Like...you can't argue with me about my preferences, lol. Why would you want to?

Anyway, hope we get some Vergil DLC. Game is too fucking good to not have Vergil playable.

This is how it should be. However on Era , people will have you believe that certain games are "objectively" Goty/not goty.

To be fair, that guy was quoted by a lot of people at first just because they said DMC5 was just good.
It was mostly just joking about the way they posted lol.
"its not just blah , its actually blah"

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That really bums me out. The comic I'm writing/working on has always been designed as the relationship happening fairly early on in the story and then going past that because I feel it's something that can really be explored. But you're right.
That's one of the reasons why I like Saga so much.

Oct 29, 2017

This. This is what is infuriating about online nessage boards sometimes. Youll say something "XX was my game of the year!" And peoppe will take personal offense to that

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This. This is what is infuriating about online nessage boards sometimes. Youll say something "XX was my game of the year!" And peoppe will take personal offense to that
I try to keep my complaints/nitpicks to threads dedicated about specific games like the FFXV one where they go "this game is a masterpiece" or something and then express there. But I've been guilty of jumping into convos I shouldn't have when someone was just stating what they like about something.

It's hard to read intent sometimes in text format (I just call it text bias) and it also has to do with somewhat of a downwards incline of writing and reading in the average users of the world as well. The difference between "DMC5 was my GOTY" and "DMC5 is the best game in the series" is still an opinion, but while the former states something of their own preference the latter asserts a standard of quality of the game over others, and the internet being what it is provides the conflict in exchanging opinions.

Combined with our internet talk being essentially road rage because we're all anonymous avatars it can really skew it, but I'm always working on that myself as well. I think sometimes though our language and phrasing can help get rid of those arguments if we learned how to convey things without asserting X is greater than Y but then you don't get the spicy hot takes and clicks :P

Me personally I love (almost too much at times) to delve into the "Why" of a thing and the discussion of media and break it all down, so it's hard sometimes to just go "This person didn't ask for your opinion, you dolt."