• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I would assume it's because of the PS5 install base vs. PS4 to an extent? Also not a pandemic game like the first was.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
That's unfortunate but not terribly surprising , I'm absolutely loving the game. Hopefully the game has some legs.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
has there ever been a heavily story based sequel released at a higher price for a platform with less owners that sold BETTER?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Direct sequels that require knowledge kf the previous game will always sell worse... but I think the drop-off has been worse than anyone expected.

Feb 10, 2024
No more COVID boost.

Shame because the game is great! It's better than anything coming out of the Western AAA industry lately.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Square Enix is putting out their best games ever and fucking themselves over with this dumbass PlayStation exclusivity deal.

Stop doing stupid shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Square better be making serious bank from their Sony deals because the PS5 exclusivity and years later PC ports is seriously harming the FF franchise.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, can't say I'm interested in it after I've played Remake

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There's a pretty important difference between the two games that is, of course, not being noted in the tweets. But that is par for the course with discussion around this game.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
I think in my case the demo worked against them. I was more curious if they'd altered things about the first one I wasn't keen on before I got my hands on that.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Well that certainly gives some direction to the sales discussion over the past month or so, both in and out of the Famitsu sales threads.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised given how much SE is trying to kill their brands with console exclusivity deals.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is putting out their best games ever and fucking themselves over with this dumbass PlayStation exclusivity deal.

Stop doing stupid shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Im just waiting for the posts that'll tell us that actually exclusivity isnt hurting the game... I dont get SE, they could have legit fostered a bigger audience for the series getting the games day and date with PC as well at least, but instead they take the short term pay packet from Sony.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
One platform for AAA games don't make sense. It should be on as many platforms as possible.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Explains the lack of a press release.
Bummer considering the quality of the game.

If they don't change their strategy the 3rd game might sell even less

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Selling the middle chapter of FF7 as a standalone game, when that middle chapter was generally not considered the most memorable part of the original game, was always a tough prospect.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we all knew this was the case given how light the chatter was. The install base for the PS4 and PS5 was a massive difference, and it is a sequel, which doesn't necessarily mean better or equal numbers -- even with all the amazing reviews and positive buzz. And yes, there was the COVID lockdown bump as well for Remake.

Anyway, the game deserves to sell much better and have a greater audience. This game is a remarkable achievement and I hope it'll find improved numbers when it comes to PC.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it be really good of Square to start building a bigger audience on other platforms not named Playstation. I played a bit of remake and enjoyed it.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
What percent of players finished the first game? It has to be tough for sequels that directly continue the story, because how many people are really going to jump in midway without playing/finishing the previous game?

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Without context of how much Remake sold on PS4 versus PS5, and whether this half number is total sales of Remake PS4+PS5 versus Rebirth PS5, this fact is worthless.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me sad. It's such a great game, and one of my fave FF games since… man, 9?

It really deserves a lot more than it is selling, and I hope it sees some renewed interest maybe after the third game is out (which will likely sell even worse…).

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Smaller install base
Good chunk people hate the direction its sequel not a full blown remake

The exclusivity deal is probably making up lost money they not making with sales and no doubt get boost from PC release when it happens

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah basically everyones already covered it. Not really surprising between it being a sequel and SE constantly hamstringing the series by keeping it exclusive(hopefully the money/help they get from Sony makes up for it....).

It's a shame as I do think it's miles better than Remake. Remake was kind of disappointing all things considered. Thems the breaks though I guess.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Not surprising, real time games are outdated these days. Should have gone turn based.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Explains the lack of a press release.
Bummer considering the quality of the game.

If they don't change their strategy the 3rd game might sell even less
I mean I'd be genuinely shocked if Sony didn't pay them to make the third part exclusive too. And it will definitely sell less IMO.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
it sucks considering how good it is and how much love they put in the game.