gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Batman, I don't like his work generally. :(

Bro what the fuck? This is an impossible opinion.

Mission: Impossible, Mars Attacks!, Men in Black, Good Will Hunting, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Planet of the Apes, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Meet the Robinsons, Hellboy II, Milk, Silver Linings Playbook, Big Eyes

Even his Fifty Shades scores are worthwhile.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunate. I thought Elfman's work in the Raimi Spider-Man films was really underwhelming, and loved Giacchino's work on the first film. Oh well.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Then why hasn't he directed a movie in the 8 years since? It's not like he hasn't wanted to, he's been attached to several movies that never ended up getting made. Even if it made a small profit, Oz's box office was extremely disappointing for the amount of money that went into it.
Studios probably cancelled the project. He backed out. Maybe nothing grabbed his attention. It's not uncommon for directors to take long breaks.

But I'm hyped for this film. Raimi is a master.
He developed, produced, wrote, and directed on Ash v Evil Dead during that window.

Edit: and produced on several other films in the interim.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Doctor Strange wasn't one of his better OSTs overall, but Giacchino's leitmotif was quite the earworm. Kept getting stuck in my head for months after watching the movie. As long as Elfman uses it in his score, I think this is a fine choice. Clearly Raimi and Elfman like working together.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not too fond of Elfman but Giacchino's score for the first Doctor Strange was completely forgettable so I'm glad they're going with someone else for the sequel tbh. Giacchino is very hit or miss.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Wow this thread is teaming with some takes.

I'm increasingly excited for this flick.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Doctor Strange wasn't one of his better OSTs overall, but Giacchino's leitmotif was quite the earworm. Kept getting stuck in my head for months after watching the movie. As long as Elfman uses it in his score, I think this is a fine choice. Clearly Raimi and Elfman like working together.
Look as long as he uses Michael Giachinno's motif from the first film, it'll be great. Unfortunately, I feel like it'll be like Justice League all over again where he just does his own thing.

He used Zimmer's WW theme and Williams' Superman Theme in Justice League, and Endgame threw in character themes from their respective movies all over the place, so I don't think there's going to be much of a worry.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
He developed, produced, wrote, and directed on Ash v Evil Dead during that window.

Edit: and produced on several other films in the interim.
Fair, but the only thing he himself actually directed between Oz and Strange 2 was the pilot of Ash vs Evil Dead. I'm not convinced that the reason he didn't direct movies in that time was because he didn't want to, so the only other option is that he was in director jail.

Great, a meh composer to go with their boring director.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Doctor Strange theme was the best thing about the first movie

considering how he ditched Silvestri's excellent and now iconic Avengers theme I am a bit worried

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
bruh

when the incursion takes place

and raimi spidey's world enters the mcu....

; _______________ ;

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
The main theme of the first film was so heroic and magical at the same time. I hope Elfman follow along with that.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Raimi and Elfman have a falling out after SM2? Time heals all wounds it seems

Yes, Raimi fell in love with a temp score from Christopher Young and Elfman said he'd never work with him again.

Young then scored the next Raimi film and this will be Elfman's second Raimi score after the "I'll never work with him again" proclamation.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Dr Strange had a great soundtrack as is, so hoping that Elfman can build on it rather than scrap what was good there.

This is still by far my most looked forward to Marvel film.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Fair, but the only thing he himself actually directed between Oz and Strange 2 was the pilot of Ash vs Evil Dead. I'm not convinced that the reason he didn't direct movies in that time was because he didn't want to, so the only other option is that he was in director jail.

Director jail makes no sense. Oz wasn't a notable financial failure to begin with. Never mind that the success of Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy is pretty much enough in and of itself to keep him out of director jail for a long, long time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Giachinno's music for Marvel has been about as dull as bricks so this could be dope. Elfman phones in a lot of shit lately but his Spiderman stuff has been so good.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I'm probably the few who didn't like Doctor strange Soundtrack all that much. The main theme sounded too much like a variation of Startrek. I'm not sure if Danny Elfman is a better choice given his current work's maybe with pairing back with Raimi something interesting may come out of it. The last soundtrack from Danny Elfman I've liked might have been the Wolfman going back almost to 2010.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
just as long as it's as good as

s-l500.jpg

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't the Dr Strange theme just Giacchino ripping his own Star Trek theme? I liked it either way, the theme that is. OST as a whole was rather dull.

How Elfman isn't in composer jail is baffling. He is so damn boring. Honestly thought they would go for Ludwig Goransson, who seems to be Disneys go-to-guy these days.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for the best....but not too excited after his lacklustre Justice League score. (On a side note, I can't wait for JunkieXL's Justice League).

Granted, I really liked his "Heroes" track in Age of Ultron (I think he was also brought into the fray pretty late on that project to work alongside Bryan Tyler? Or was it the other way around)

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the Dr Strange theme just Giacchino ripping his own Star Trek theme? I liked it either way, the theme that is. OST as a whole was rather dull.

How Elfman isn't in composer jail is baffling. He is so damn boring. Honestly thought they would go for Ludwig Goransson, who seems to be Disneys go-to-guy these days.
And there were one of two really recognizable Lost snippets in the Star Trek theme, too. I've always wondered about that...does a composer sometimes work from the same 'template' (basis/foundation/his go-to melodies) when composing something new, for the lack of a better word, which leads to many of their familiar beats bleeding over into their other OST's/themes?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
on the topic of raimi spider theme: doesnt the next spidey movie release before this strange movie? if another universe spidey is going to show up i imagine it will have already happened before this movie comes out

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Epfman's best work recently has been in concert music. His Violin Concerto is marvelous. But I feel like he's mostly been phoning in his film scores and Marvel doesn't exactly stretch their composers all that much.