Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree, if more people can enjoy the game it will sell more.
Not having difficulty options in a game is just stupid.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
But if the game had an optional easy mode, then it would be for them.

Maybe. But an experience that's accessible to everyone clearly isn't what From are going for with the series, and I think it should be okay to make games like that? You obviously shouldn't be a "git gud"-baby about it, but I think it's neat that there are still games where just seeing the credits can become a kind of badge of honor and part of the mystique of a game... a feeling which just the existence of an Easy Mode would diminish.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sry, but no. This is a signature of soul games.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's not an action game, it's an action RPG, and, as with most RPG's, not difficulty select.

Now, of course, some RPG's do have difficulty options... but this one just does not. The only thing you could do to change the difficulty in any dark souls without compromising the game design would be reducing enemie's life or locking away certain bosses attacks. But that does not change what makes the game difficult for you, does it?

So, in the end, it turns out that it not really the kind of game where programming difficulty tiers is worth the hassle.

Seriously, if you just want an easier game, just play offline and Hack your game to give you a ton of souls so you can level up easy. No harm done there.

OP
OP
Kainé

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
It's called "summon a phantom". Not a single enemy in all of Dark Souls (3) is balanced for more than one player lol. Maaaaybe Midir in Dark Souls 3.

There is no people for summon at all in DS1 and I wanna play the game alone. I just wish there was an easy option, there is no excuse for having more options.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But an experience that's accessible to everyone clearly isn't what From are going for with the series, and I think it should be okay to make games like that? You obviously shouldn't be a "git gud"-baby about it, but I think it's neat that there are still games where just seeing the credits can become a kind of badge of honor and part of the mystique of a game... a feeling which just the existence of an Easy Mode would diminish.
That feeling also is diminished if you summon phantoms to help you, and yet that is still allowed within the game.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I used to be against this idea

But like why not. Just lower enemy health a bit, lower the enemy count in some areas, increase the amount of souls dropped.

Like people should be able to experience these games, because they are more than a hard series of games.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried Souls Era? As much as the Souls community is unfairly stereotyped there's a cool helpful bunch over there always eager to assist new players.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I agree. I just don't have the time to replay a a section for hours and hours. People who say DS is already easy with coop, some people don't have PSN+ or just want to play the game alone. More options are always better.

No. More options aren't always better.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would an easy mode even entail? Enemies take fewer hits and you take less damage? It still wouldn't stop the countless traps and trick deaths.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
They should definitely make it easier to find out where to go. You shouldn't have to use a wiki or walkthrough for basic shit like that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played these games, but it sounds like the difficulty is what makes them worth playing. Everything is crafted with challenge in mind.

Without it, it probably wouldn't be anything special and thus not even worth playing.

FtheQueen

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With me personally I thought the same when I started playing Souls games but after my first Souls experience challenge that I overcame i've gone into every other Souls game with the mentality of "whatever you throw at me no matter how hard it seems I will find a way and beat it" No other game has made me challenge myself more than the game challenged me the ways Souls games have.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Not all games need to be for everyone.

But outstanding games like Bloodborne should be for everyone. It's gating a great story behind a very high difficulty barrier. While I personally had no problem after grinding out the first areas for about 5 hours, I know a lot of players that put it away because of the difficulty/not having enough patience and they're missing out on a great game, one of the best of this generation in fact.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
There 100% should be an easier mode. I don't want to play it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Forza is basically a hardcore racing simulation, yet it has ass loads of options to tune it to the difficulty that you want so you can enjoy the game.

Options aren't bad, and people need to understand that adding options to tweak difficulty in games is only a positive thing. It allows more people to enjoy the game that you love, even if they aren't getting 100% the same experience, they are still getting a large portion of it.

Edit:
People aren't trying to ruin your experience by adding a easier mode, they are trying to join in on your enjoyment of something you love. They want to be a part of it.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
But if the game had an optional easy mode, then it would be for them.
the-point-and-you-animated-gif.gif

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If you think the games are too hard then, in my opinion, you are either
  • Not using a build that works for your preferred play style (using a melee build instead of a magic build, for example)
  • Not utilizing the ability to summon other players
  • Not playing the game the way they want you to play it
When you find a build that works for your style, you summon other players, or you stop running around everywhere or start learning enemy attack patterns the Souls games are pretty tolerable and honestly don't require any kind of difficulty options. The difficulty of the Soulsborne games has been massively overblown for the last few years. If you don't play the games the way the developers want you to play them, they punish you hard for it. Plus I believe difficulty options would fundamentally break some of the ways this game works (especially regarding the multiplayer aspects), and the core sense of challenge + accomplishment is the entire point of these games.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
How would invasions and co-op work with an easy or hard mode? Would the player base be split?

Thankfully I don't think this is something we have to worry about because From never saw it fit to include difficulty options in any of these games. I don't want an easy mode OR a hard mode button on the title screen.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Asking for an easy mode in a Souls game? You magnificent bastard. *grabs popcorn*

Seriously though, if you're not enjoying the exploration or dying an awful lot, the game may not be for you. There are ways to make it easier though. "Save scumming" is one such method if you're playing Dark Souls on PC. Backing up and loading saves can really cut down on the tedium in some parts, though you will potentially deprive yourself of a lot of souls doing this.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While over time I can learn the Souls games and finish them at their base difficulty, I do agree. I mean just because the game has an easier difficulty, doesn't take away from its other aspects, such as how Dark Souls uses its items and world to tell a story.

Also I find it a tad infuriating that there is often a hive mind of "oh this game is too easy, it should have a hard mode!" but god forbid someone want the reverse.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
No. They shouldn't.

The difficulty and feeling of achievement is the core philosophy of the series, you take that away and you strip the beauty from the games.

I don't demand that games cater to me. I'm fine certain games having a niche audience; the industry would be redundant than it is now if it did -- it's why some are so thankful for Souls in the first place.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would an easy mode even entail? Enemies take fewer hits and you take less damage? It still wouldn't stop the countless traps and trick deaths.
I think this is a more interesting discussion to be had. I think that when starting Dark Souls, what I struggled with the most was losing souls due to getting killed. I know I could get them back, but it sucked knowing that getting them back was a toss-up. Maybe that would be addressed first, something like where in easy mode, you only lose half your souls upon death (and you can still recover that half).

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Love the game and completed it a few times. I agree an easy mode for these games would be great to have. For those saying "no", not sure why it would matter to you. The OP is not asking to have only an easy mode but an additional mode.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I've never played these games, but it sounds like the difficulty is what makes them worth playing.
Can't speak for the other Souls games but Bloodborne was worth it for the lore and experience rather than just the difficulty and challenge. This comes from someone that didn't like Dark Souls 1(story didn't do anything for me), yet finished it and never touched another Souls game after.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no easy mode but there are weapons and the ability to summon that make the game significantly easier

Apple_Prince

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think the game is made so everyone can experience it. The game is designed for people who want to invest that time into the experience it's providing. Not all Entertainment is made so everyone can enjoy it. Just because you can buy something doesn't mean it was made for you.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sure why not, sounds like fun.

While I'm not super into Souls myself, I don't think the games would be ruined if there was an easier difficulty to choose. The games have more going for them than just the relatively high difficulty.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems more that you missed the point.

Those folks said the game isn't for the OP. I said that the game would be for them if there was an optional easy mode that does not affect the game for anybody else.

What's wrong with that? It's not like the OP is asking for the Dark Souls games to be turn-based RPGs or something. Adding an optional easy mode is an easy way to make the game for OP.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Not every game is for everyone.

You don't have to kill every enemy, you can run past a lot of them and it's not like a lot of the areas are that complicated to maneuver around. The game is challenging but it doesn't really lie to you or deceive you if you're willing to pay attention.

An easy mode implementation would have had sour effects on the design of the "normal" mode, whether people want to admit it or not.

It's not for you, and that's okay.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
these would likely reach far more people if it included an easy mode. Ive played a couple of them and just don't like the gameplay. I like the style and aesthetic though. Turning on easy mode is usually my go to when theres a game id like to play (for story/style/visuals/etc) but just don't like the game play.

Its their choice to include or not include an easy mode, but i don't understand anyone arguing it specifically should NOT include an easy mode assuming its not taking away their regular difficulty.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
MIMIMI adjust a beloved franchise because i don't enjoy it... Don't play it if it's not for you, it's that simple.. There is an easy mode and it's called summoning.

Last edited:

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
These games revolve around 'risk vs reward' gameplay. Having an easy mode would kill that aspect, and people would only complain that they'd then be a hack & slash with too slow gameplay.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems more that you missed the point.

Those folks said the game isn't for the OP. I said that the game would be for them if there was an optional easy mode that does not affect the game for anybody else.

What's wrong with that? It's not like the OP is asking for the Dark Souls games to be turn-based RPGs or something. Adding an optional easy mode is an easy way to make the game for OP.
But summoning is right there

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Every game should have multiple difficulty options.

It just makes them more accessible to more people. Developers can always add notes like "this is the developer recommended difficulty" to highlight which is the 'intended' way to play but if more options are available, more people can jump in easier.
The marketable appeal of the series is it's punishing difficulty. Making an easy mode would not be a good idea

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Honestly, if some bosses are giving you too much of a trouble, try to summon an NPC or even a friend. For me, part of the charm of the Souls games come from analyzing enemy movement and behaviour and using that knowledge to conquer the enemy, even if it takes multiple tries.