• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DSIII or BB? Which do you prefer?

• DSIII

Votes: 214 25.5%
  • BB

Votes: 625 74.5%

• Total voters

Ridill

Oct 27, 2017
California
Thoroughly enjoyed both games! But Bloodborne wins out for me. The emphasis on offense, and the setting was pretty awesome. I only wish they could have fully realized their world as I feel like some of the mechanics were left unfulfilled (beast meter/claws anyone)

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
While weapons within the same group do have the same moveset, there's more than just 5 kinds of weapons and many of them have unique attacks and abilities, as well as a one handed and two handed moveset. Spells, miracles, and hexes add another layer to build variety as well.

If you want to dock points from a game for flaws make sure to research them first before opening your mouth and making yourself look ignorant.

While I disagree with the original poster's point about build variety, DS3 has far more builds because of magic, luck/hollow, and any combination of the stats. The whole "weapon variety" thing is complete nonsense and factually inaccurate, you get far more variety and movesets from BB's 25-30 weapons that all have unique movesets than you do in DS's 100 reskinned weapons with different scaling stats. DS3's DLCs understood that and nudged towards trick weapons-lite.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When Gehrman stands up for the first time, as the first hunter who created the hunter's guild, introducing and sporting the very first trick weapon which resembles a death scythe.

"Tonight... Gehrman joins the hunt"

The fight starts and Gehrman is this limping old man who's clearly way beyond his prime. Yet when you get close enough you can see how quick he is with his weapon, an indication of how fearsome he must've been in his youth.

Along with the soundtrack, and the boss stage design. Is one of the best final boss settings I've ever experienced.

Without a doubt Bloodborne had much more thought put into every aspect of it than DSIII.

Man, that place its unbelievable. You can see the house burning from there, flower blow up with the fight, some cross broken with swing of weapons all in conjuction with the soundtrack... Best boss stage design in years.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil

When Gehrman stands up for the first time, as the first hunter who created the hunter's guild, introducing and sporting the very first trick weapon which resembles a death scythe.

"Tonight... Gehrman joins the hunt"

The fight starts and Gehrman is this limping old man who's clearly way beyond his prime. Yet when you get close enough you can see how quick he is with his weapon, an indication of how fearsome he must've been in his youth.

Along with the soundtrack, and the boss stage design. Is one of the best final boss settings I've ever experienced.

Without a doubt Bloodborne had much more thought put into every aspect of it than DSIII.

And then,you enter in the DLC and the first bossfight is this masterpiece.

My true mentor,my guiding moonlight.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me that Miyazaki and co are at their best working on new IPs instead of direct sequels.

Demon's, DS1 and BB were their best efforts imo, homing in on their strengths with each new IP introduction.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I used to prefer Bloodborne. But now I prefer Dark Souls 3. Bloodborne is so brutal it can still kick my ass hard sometimes (the first hour is always brutal af in Bloodborne imo). Dark Souls at least I'm good at it lol.
But I think that Bloodborne is a better game, it's one of the best game of the gen.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They never made a great sequel to Dark Souls 1. 2 and 3 just felt so hallow to me.

BB has it's issues with limited build options and weapons but as far as 1 / 2 walkthroughs go it's the best Souls game and the only one that ever recaptured the feeling of being in 1 place like DS1

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Bloodborne for the second time right now and there's just a big lull in the middle that I can't be excited about. It's like

- Cleric Beast: Okay
- Gascoigne: Awesome
- Blood-starved Beast: Okay
- Darkbeast Paarl: Awesome
- Vicar Amelia: Awesome
- Witch of Hemwick: Not good
- Shadow of Yharnum: Not good
- Rom: Not good
- Amygdala: Not good
- One Reborn: Not good
- Martyr Logarius: Okay
- Celestial Emissary: Not good
- Ebrietas: Awesome
- Micolash: Not good
- Last 3 bosses: all awesome

Bloodborne's highs are really high, but its lows are apparent between Amelia and Yahar'gul. Sure, Dark Souls 3 has a lame boss string toward the beginning (Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons) but everything after getting to Irithyll is exceptional. I'm going to do Bloodborne's DLC for the first time, though, and I hear it's excellent.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne's my favorite From Software game by a long shot. Hell, Dark Souls III is my least favorite Dark Souls game.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
While I disagree with the original poster's point about build variety, DS3 has far more builds because of magic, luck/hollow, and any combination of the stats. The whole "weapon variety" thing is complete nonsense and factually inaccurate, you get far more variety and movesets from BB's 25-30 weapons that all have unique movesets than you do in DS's 100 reskinned weapons with different scaling stats. DS3's DLCs understood that and nudged towards trick weapons-lite.

Let's not go too crazy. A their core most trick weapons were just two regular weapons stitched together, and some of them like the Saw Spear and Saw Cleaver had very similar movesets. Like with DaS III many of the more creative weapons were in the DLC.
And are you really saying weapons like Ricard's Rapier, Artorias Greatsword, Bone Fist, Warped Sword, Farron Greatsword, or Dragonslayer Swordspear didn't work completly different from the rest of their weapon types? And let's not forget dual wielding.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
While weapons within the same group do have the same moveset, there's more than just 5 kinds of weapons and many of them have unique attacks and abilities, as well as a one handed and two handed moveset. Spells, miracles, and hexes add another layer to build variety as well.

If you want to dock points from a game for flaws make sure to research them first before opening your mouth and making yourself look ignorant.
You should probably learn to read. Where am I docking points for anything on any game? You sound like an uptight fanboy, go have a drink.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne was the more enjoyable game for me by a large margin. Some areas in Bloodborne actually made me feel scared and uncomfortable. I enjoyed the NPCs in Bloodborne a lot more as well. The bosses were, by and large, more fun to play, and more visually interesting.

I know some people found Bloodborne to be to samey in its locales, but I liked the consistency of the zones. Every location felt like it was a part of the greater city or surrounding areas. While I didn't hate Dark Souls 3, I did feel like it was more a tribute to the original rather than an interesting setting in its own right.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
You should probably learn to read. Where am I docking points for anything on any game? You sound like an uptight fanboy, go have a drink.

You're saying that build variety is just a fanboy bullet point because you think that even though there's more than 100 weapons there's only just 4-5 movesets. That sort of hyperbole is the kind mostly associated with hardcore fanboys who try to knock down the competition.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Ludwig second phase and Gehrman's are Souls peak when it comes to music.

Literally from fighting a mad dog to Ludwig regaining some sanity and awareness, then that music swells up after the cutscene. He stops diving around and screaming, stands on his hinds legs and attempts to fight you as if he was still a man.

Ludwig was Incredible.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Bloodborne, I feel like it has a better plot, more consistency, and plays better with its themes.
Dark souls 3 wasted a lot of potential fan-servicing, and didn't have as many impressive/epic bosses.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 has a lot more variety, is more polished, has more content, and can be played at a livable FPS.

Bloodborne has a more evocative style, but the FPS and lack of builds really hurts it bad.

As much as I love BB, I think DS3 is the better, more enjoyable, and more replayable game

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I replayed it an embarassing amount of times.

Bloodborne was cool and had crazy awesome enemy and world design, but I found myself just wanting to hurry and get it finished so I could say I did it.

Dark Souls 3 just had so much gear and build variety to play with. Also the environments are way more varied, which is great for replayability. I just really like the medieval fantasy aesthetic. It works for me. I like swords and armor more than guns and top hats :)

Oh, and PvP in DS3 is soooo good!

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 3 has a lot more variety, is more polished, has more content, and can be played at a livable FPS.

Bloodborne has a more evocative style, but the FPS and lack of builds really hurts it bad.

As much as I love BB, I think DS3 is the better, more enjoyable, and more replayable game
When the fps goes to shit... it really goes to shit

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I prefer Bloodborne mostly due to its art direction and its more fast-paced, aggressive combat that is made all the more interesting the mechanics like trick weapons and rallying.

That said, I still adore DS3 just like any other Souls game and believe it to be the most consistent in terms of good quality compared to every other From game. It's good all the way through whereas there are points in Dark Souls and Bloodborne when there are drops in quality. Steep drops, at that.

So? It's still Bloodborne. I don't get the point you're trying to make.

Somebody who buys Bloodborne simply doesn't have acces to these bosses. You have to buy the DLC on top of the main game to buy them, that's my point. That's my rule to judge games and it's completely acceptable if you don't agree with me.

illmatic

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne easily, but I'm biased because it was my first Soulsborne game. On the other hand, Dark Souls III has quite a few forgettable bosses to me, and a few areas that are absolute slogs (Smouldering Lake & Irithyll Dungeon immediately come to mind).

My take on the bosses:

Iudex Gundyr - good fight
vordt - good fight
rotten tree - mediocre
crystal sage - mediocre
deacon - mediocre/gimmick fight
abyss - good fight
wolnir - mediocre
old demon king - mediocre and very generic
pontiff - good fight
giant yhorm - gimmick fight
aldrich - good fight
dancer - good fight
dragonslayer - OK fight
oceiros - mediocre and very generic again
champion - good fight, i get thematically it's supposed to be same as iudex, but its still a repeat
lothric princes - good fight
cinder - good fight
wyvern - gimmick fight
nameless - good fight

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

I have to say, I have 0 interest in going back to BB (i loved playing it) but I play some DS3 every once and a while. The world (not storywise/lore wise, but what you can interact with) just has more depth and options in DS3

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I couldn't get into DS3 just because it felt too "been there, done that." I felt like I was playing a simplified, streamlined Dark Souls. It's still a great game, but it didn't grip me the same way the first Dark Souls or Bloodbourne did.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
In my opinion Bloodborne is the better game I love the trick weapons, guns, the awesome clothes, and the general setting of the game. Dark souls 3 just felt like v they just took things from bloodborne and fused it into dark souls but with no care for how it was implemented.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bloodborne easily, but I'm biased because it was my first Soulsborne game. On the other hand, Dark Souls III has quite a few forgettable bosses to me, and a few areas that are absolute slogs (Smouldering Lake & Irithyll Dungeon immediately come to mind).

My take on the bosses:

vordt - good fight
rotten tree - mediocre
crystal sage - mediocre
abyss - good fight
wolnir - mediocre
pontiff - good fight
aldrich - good fight
dancer - good fight
dragonslayer - OK fight
champion - good fight, i get thematically it's supposed to be same as iudex, but its still a repeat
cinder - good fight
wyvern - gimmick fight
nameless - good fight

Compared to BASE Bloodborne???

Cleric - okay but camera
Gascoigne - cool and good
Bloodstarved - okay but misleading gimmick (it's toxic not low poison game)
Amelia - cool and good
Hemlock Witches - mediocre
Paarl - cool but mediocre to fight
Snake Guys - okay
Rom - bad
Amygdala - cool looking but mediocre to fight
Logarius - cool and good
One Reborn - tower knight retread but grosser
Celestial Emissary - which one's the boss oh it's dead now
Ebrietas - cool and good
Micolash - funny but stupid
Nurse - cool looking but mediocre to fight
Gerhman - cool and good
Moon Guy - cool looking but mediocre to fight

Chalice Dungeons:
Fire Dog - cool and good
Old old guy - mediocre
Young old guy - mediocre
Big Beast with Rocket Punch - kind of cool looking but terrible camera
Queen - not worth going though the chalice dungeons to fight but interesting gimmick

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I love Bloodborne, but I'm dying for a Pro patch that fixes the frame rate. Boost mode doesn't seem to do much for it at all.

I can't vote on this poll, because I haven't played DS3 yet, but I'm currently playing DS1 (Remastered) for the first time and loving every moment. The fact that there is a debate at all makes me feel very excited to get to DS3. :)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Dark Souls 3 in the Steam Sale.

Did I make a terrible mistake?

Context: I have never played a Souls game but I am a super hardcore gamer like you wouldn't believe.

Cheeseburgla

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's Dark Souls 3 easily. I'm more of a sword and shield kind of guy rather than a dodge/roll guy so Bloodborne never really stuck with me. I did love the environment though. As for Dark Souls 3, I think it's my favorite of all the Souls games. Not the best, (Dark Souls) but my favorite.

From what I gather from this site as well as the old one, it seems to me that a lot of people experienced Bloodborne as their first Souls game. People tend to hold onto that. For example, Dark Souls will always have a special place in my heart. That feeling I had after finally beating O&S solo for the first time was never again replicated. It was never as good as that moment. I think people who played Bloodborne feel that too.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

Context: I have never played a Souls game but I am a super hardcore gamer like you wouldn't believe.

No, it's good. I think playing DS1 first will help you appreciate some of the NPCs and references more, but it's great.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne, easily. It feels far more fresh than DS3 does, as well as far more polished (despite frame rate problems). Not having two games' worth of lore strapped to it helps an awful lot here. To me, the world's just far more interesting to me and Yharnam was a joy to explore, especially in the latter half of the game once everything starts to go south. I appreciate there're far fewer ways to build your character than in DS3, and that the multiplayer options are more limited, but I prefer playing faster characters anyway, and never cared for PvP in the other Souls games to start with, so that never really bothered me; the experience is just so focused and refined. I also loved that it returned to the horror elements that were so prevelant in Demon's Souls, and which subsequently got less emphasis as the Dark Souls games went on.

Dark Souls 3 is still a very good game, but it's one where I feel the formula's really starting to get stale. It felt like too much of a retread, like the team were almost at the bottom of the barrel when it came to ideas. It's definitely weighed down by the games before it, and to me it sort of feels as if they were running out of ways to make the game even more challenging to keep up with the demand of the fanbase, lest it get lambasted for being too easy. I'm not a huge fan of the trend of giving every boss multiple phases, but the DLC bosses seem particularly egregious for this, with both Sister Friede and the Demon Princes having three separate health bars. To me, this just made the bosses feel tedious rather than difficult.

I'm a bit burnt out on Souls to be honest, but I still feel a drive to play Bloodborne again, whereas I'm probably fine not touching DS3 for a while.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody who buys Bloodborne simply doesn't have acces to these bosses. You have to buy the DLC on top of the main game to buy them, that's my point. That's my rule to judge games and it's completely acceptable if you don't agree with me.

Sounds silly to me.

My take on the bosses:

vordt - good fight
rotten tree - mediocre
crystal sage - mediocre
abyss - good fight
wolnir - mediocre
pontiff - good fight
aldrich - good fight
dancer - good fight
dragonslayer - OK fight
cinder - good fight
wyvern - gimmick fight
nameless - good fight

I thought Bloodborne had it far worse in terms of bosses. After Vicar Amelia, there is a steady drop in quality in the bosses, with only the likes of Logarius and Gehrman standing out as good ones in the second half of the game. This also started to apply to the levels as well starting with the Forbidden Woods that became more and more linear and starting to reuse enemies. It's one thing DS3 got right in making most areas feel distinct with not only its aesthetic but also the different enemies that inhabit those areas. It's that variety Bloodborne starts losing over time which I can typically excuse since I love the art direction too much.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Probably would have bought the first Dark Souls, since its the first one and all and the remaster definitely betters playing it on PC (even compared to the DSfix mod). But sure, you'll probably be fine Mr. hardcore man.

EDIT: Goddamn double post. I just keep assuming someone would post shortly after I do, but it never happens.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Bloodborne and it's not even close. The story, the gameplay and the atmosphere is unmatched. I've got a friend who is a lawyer and he bought a PS just to play BB, initially.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's fine I wouldn't worry about it. You don't need any prior Souls experience to enjoy it. You will miss a few references here and there especially in the end game though, nothing too big but it's definitely there.

The only real problem you might face is if you really enjoy the game and want to visit older entries. Going back to slower, limited combat will be a bit jarring.

Have you played BB? If not then playing it after DS3 would be perfect.

Jun 4, 2018
Bloodborne. I've played Dark Souls III more to this point, but Bloodborne is something I'll come back to time and time again. It's a much more fun game to run through than DS3, I feel.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the music conversation above, it's worth noting that BB's music was fully orchestrated. It gave the game that extra polished feel. The tracks are better than DS3 regardless, though. Ebrietas theme is the standout for me.

Man, this whole thread just makes me appreciate BB and DeS so much. Such unique games with peerless atmosphere and art. Sony/From need to get on that DeS remake asap.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Bloodborne is finally something new. With Dark Souls 3 I have the feeling that I have seen 80% of the game in previous Dark Souls.

(And another 10% is from Bloodborne)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne. I loved Dark Souls 3 but I really appreciated the freshness of Bloodborne and it's new setting and gameplay options.

Dark Souls is still the best one though. Would've selected OG Dark Souls all day long if it was a poll option.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, a new world, new thematic with an amazing plot twist and a deep complex story of several factions happening. Easily the best recomendation for newcomer into the Souls genre

Dark Souls 3 is a burnt scenario at this point of Dark Souls 1 which Dark Souls 2 tried to be away but MIyazaki failed and ignored Dark Souls 2 to favor a more eye candy , flashy game, BB esque gameplay putting the entire franchise in a coma regarldless of the premise of finishing the series since FROM dont want the series to end.

If someone wants to start with Dark Souls 3, do yourself a favor and start with DS1 first

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
They're both great games, but unlike DS3, BB felt fresh and actually had interesting lore.

BB is what made me want a fresh new IP from From, rather than a DS/BB sequel.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, a new world, new thematic with an amazing plot twist and a deep complex story of several factions happening. Easily the best recomendation for newcomer into the Souls genre

Dark Souls 3 is a burnt scenario at this point of Dark Souls 1 which Dark Souls 2 tried to be away but MIyazaki failed and ignored Dark Souls 2 to favor a more eye candy , flashy game, BB esque gameplay putting the entire franchise in a coma regarldless of the premise of finishing the series since FROM dont want the series to end.

If someone wants to start with Dark Souls 3, do yourself a favor and start with DS1 first
After the backlash from DS2 (which I mostly don't get. It had weaker level design and boss encounters along with a few other issues compared to the rest but tried new things, and some of those changes were for the better) it's understandable that they'd fall back to DS1 and move on from there. Not the most creative of approaches but it is what it is.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Bloodborne.

Just beat BB again, and started DS3 again right after. That library section with the candle wax is the worst most dryest section ever in a DS game. I hate it.

There's a lot of people who really need to experience Demons and the uniqueness it brings to the table. Demons and BB and classics and Froms bests games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I fired up Bloodborne for the first time.

Good fucking lord these loading times (and framerate). I can't play a game of this sort on consoles anymore. With DS3 on PC I get 60fps and immediate restarts. This stuff just adds another layer of frustration to these things.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne.

Just beat BB again, and started DS3 again right after. That library section with the candle wax is the worst most dryest section ever in a DS game. I hate it.

There's a lot of people who really need to experience Demons and the uniqueness it brings to the table. Demons and BB and classics and Froms bests games.

Odd, the wax was wet for me.