• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
First time I'm playing through Ariandel. This expansion has one of the best level design yet. It's incredibly good!
The game had some great levels, but the DLC really took it to the next level (Ringed City is even more special).

It's an interesting contrast in having Miyazaki be in charge from the very start (which wasn't true of the game itself). Everything in the DLC just works; it's all cohesive and tells the right story.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this at 60fps for the first time is wonderful. Combat feels even more fluid than before and there's some extra levels of detail with the higher resolution that I never picked up on when I was on PS4.

My only regret is having to leave behind my beloved Black Set from Yuria, as save-scumming killing her with a friend online is going to be a bit too risky for softbanning.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
A few hours later and I managed a successful suicide-run for the Crow Quills.

Holy moly, that L1 combo is insane for taking down individual enemies in PvE, especially as the high Stamina use is being compensated for with my Grass Crest Shield and Chloranthy Ring. Will have to see if it's actually useful on bosses though.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through the game for the first time as a pyromancer. I'm in the Great Swamp and found the Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat spells. Are there any good spells left hidden in the swamp? I also have Carthus' tomb and need stronger spells.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
After actually willingly participating in PvP and co-op in these games for the first time ever, I just got summoned to fight a boss I hadn't even come across yet (Dancer).

EDIT: Also, someone wanna convince me Irithyll Dungeon isn't as terrifying as it seems? I went through a decent amount of it the other day, and got some kind of key before getting destroyed by a hiding Jailer. Very fucking spooked by that place, would rather do anything else but I've beat Aldrich already and it doesn't seem like there's any more.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Also, someone wanna convince me Irithyll Dungeon isn't as terrifying as it seems? I went through a decent amount of it the other day, and got some kind of key before getting destroyed by a hiding Jailer. Very fucking spooked by that place, would rather do anything else but I've beat Aldrich already and it doesn't seem like there's any more.
It's really short.

Also, the jailer gaze can't kill you. It's just there for intimidation.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nothing more confusing than walking into a boss called "Dragonslayer Armour" while you're wearing Dragonslayer Armour.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised this OT only has 8 pages. Does ERA demographics not like Dark Souls 3 much at all??

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Good Thing About Dark Souls III: That goddamn title screen music. I don't normally like orchestral soundtracks one way or the other, but it was a nice to hear it again and be reminded of how bloody epic it is.

Bad Thing About Dark Souls III: Darkeater Midir eating up my entire stock of 30 Embers and still remaining undefeated, despite following the "Stay up in its face" strategy that all the guides are telling and showing me.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Good Thing About Dark Souls III: That goddamn title screen music. I don't normally like orchestral soundtracks one way or the other, but it was a nice to hear it again and be reminded of how bloody epic it is.

Bad Thing About Dark Souls III: Darkeater Midir eating up my entire stock of 30 Embers and still remaining undefeated, despite following the "Stay up in its face" strategy that all the guides are telling and showing me.

Agreed that the title screen music is amazing. In fact, the entire soundtrack to this game is amazing!

Speaking of great music tracks, if you haven't transposed the Abyss Watchers' soul yet, get the Wolf Knight's Greatsword. That thing destroys Midir's face with its 20% bonus damage to Abyss enemies. I remember finding it incredible the first time I used it on that damn dragon. Just straight up carved through his big, scaly ass.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Don't give up, you can do it. One thing I like doing is using an ember only partly into the fight to heal up, when I know it's at least going well for now (because if you just instantly screw up and die you wasted it).

Here's me beating him for the first time after like 20 tries of playing it "wrong" (not staying in front, trying to fight him Sif-style, etc.) and using only 4 Estus:

(Ignore the Flash Sweat, that was me experimenting, but it's not worth the bother)
I'm no pro-player or anything, just average. If you use this strategy it should work. I've repeated it the exact same strategy on a different character and had pretty much identical results (used only 4 Estus, mostly precautionary).

As I often say it's basically the same method as fighting Amygdala from the defiled chalice dungeon; stay in front, bait its attacks until it lowers its head, get a hit or two (mayyybe 3 if using a very fast weapon), don't get greedy, rinse repeat.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that the title screen music is amazing. In fact, the entire soundtrack to this game is amazing!

Speaking of great music tracks, if you haven't transposed the Abyss Watchers' soul yet, get the Wolf Knight's Greatsword. That thing destroys Midir's face with its 20% bonus damage to Abyss enemies. I remember finding it incredible the first time I used it on that damn dragon. Just straight up carved through his big, scaly ass.

Don't worry, I grabbed that as soon as I could and it's fully upgraded. The two-handed L1 combo made short work of enemies like the Ringed Knights and those spinning priests on the way there too.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give up, you can do it. One thing I like doing is using an ember only partly into the fight to heal up, when I know it's at least going well for now (because if you just instantly screw up and die you wasted it).

Here's me beating him for the first time after like 20 tries of playing it "wrong" (not staying in front, trying to fight him Sif-style, etc.) and using only 4 Estus:

(Ignore the Flash Sweat, that was me experimenting, but it's not worth the bother)
I'm no pro-player or anything, just average. If you use this strategy it should work. I've repeated it the exact same strategy on a different character and had pretty much identical results (used only 4 Estus, mostly precautionary).

As I often say it's basically the same method as fighting Amygdala from the defiled chalice dungeon; stay in front, bait its attacks until it lowers its head, get a hit or two (mayyybe 3 if using a very fast weapon), don't get greedy, rinse repeat.

I just seem to be getting unlucky with which attacks get used against me during the moments he gets mid-range distance for a few seconds. The laser attack is dodgeable most of the time, but he also very often does a very wide spread flame-fanning that screws me over.

It'll just be a case of perserverence, but it's just annoying to lose so many Embers now that I can't just farm 10-12 an hour at Yhorm like I did back in the good old days.

Nov 13, 2017

The key is to find a good player to co-op with! Makes the battle a lot more fun, IMO.

Kalameet from DS1...now that's a real SOB.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The key is to find a good player to co-op with! Makes the battle a lot more fun, IMO.

Kalameet from DS1...now that's a real SOB.

I actually don't have as much trouble with Kalameet. Still takes half a dozen tries because I'll inevitably slip up, but never had it as bad as with Midir. Heck, I beat Ornstein & Smough on my very first attempt (With no Estus remaining and so little health left that there was no red in the on-screen meter, so I was in fact just really bloody lucky as opposed to actually skilful).

Just defeated the final DLC boss as well, only took an hour or so with one person helping on that final attempt. Really enjoyed both pieces of DLC and I have lots of fashion items and +3 rings as a bonus.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Did this get a PS4 Pro and/or Xbox One X patch at all? Just wondering which one would be best to play on performance wise.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's finally time for me to start this one. Just bought the Ringed City (got the base game and Ashes through Humble Monthly).

...and of course I can't decide on my character class. And I know it's not that big of a deal in the Souls series (I've played through 1,2 & Demon's), yet here I am undecided once again. In the previous three games I always ended up with a character that wore medium armour, small/medium shield and an Uchigatana. I think I went through all 3 games with that weapon. On one hand I feel like doing that again, on the other hand I feel like I should perhaps give magic a chance for once. Or a heavy weapon. Or perhaps just pick the Deprived and see where I end up. Though I fear that may just make the beginning needlessly frustrating to get through the very first time.
What do you guys think? Should I go deprived? Or pick something easier like knight maybe? Anything else I should know before starting (no spoilers!)? What burial item to pick perhaps? The life ring seems obvious to me but I might be completely wrong.

Thanks guys!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Did this get a PS4 Pro and/or Xbox One X patch at all? Just wondering which one would be best to play on performance wise.

PS4 PRO has a patch, it just unlocks the framerate though, so it goes around 45/50 fps. X has no patch.

I think it's finally time for me to start this one. Just bought the Ringed City (got the base game and Ashes through Humble Monthly).

...and of course I can't decide on my character class. And I know it's not that big of a deal in the Souls series (I've played through 1,2 & Demon's), yet here I am undecided once again. In the previous three games I always ended up with a character that wore medium armour, small/medium shield and an Uchigatana. I think I went through all 3 games with that weapon. On one hand I feel like doing that again, on the other hand I feel like I should perhaps give magic a chance for once. Or a heavy weapon. Or perhaps just pick the Deprived and see where I end up. Though I fear that may just make the beginning needlessly frustrating to get through the very first time.
What do you guys think? Should I go deprived? Or pick something easier like knight maybe? Anything else I should know before starting (no spoilers!)? What burial item to pick perhaps? The life ring seems obvious to me but I might be completely wrong.

Thanks guys!

Starting class and gift barely matters at all. Just pick Knight if you're going full melee (it starts with good gear already) or pyro/sorc if you want to use magic. I would recommend pyro because you get the best spells way earlier than the other magic schools.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I DID IT.

Fuck me, that's taken about six hours of playtime. Never again.

Congratulations!

The bastard also took me hours to beat the first time, and I thought I'd never fight it again.

Soon after I beat the DLC, I started another character and went through everything the game again.

And I did it one more.

Also, yeah, from my experience, Kalameet ain't got shit on Midir for the very simple reason that the latter has 3x the amount of health of the former. Kalameet goes down quickly with a maxed out weapon and good stats. Midir still takes longer even with your best gear and tuned stats with multiple phases and attacks that can kill you in 1-2 hits for each one.

Summoning for Midir actually makes the encounter way harder, too. His already obscenely huge health pool gets bigger and his attack pattern becomes unpredictable. I think I've only beat Midir once with other people, and I had to do it with my sorcery character.

Thanks guys!

DS3 is the wrong game in the series to start playing as a magic-focused character. You don't have a lot of options at the start, and enemies and bosses are way more mobile and aggressive making it harder to hit them with powerful spells. It does pay off on NG+ from my experience. Buffed bosses still get melted with late-game spells, and you should have all the best equipment to maximize your damage output by NG+.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Starting class and gift barely matters at all. Just pick Knight if you're going full melee (it starts with good gear already) or pyro/sorc if you want to use magic. I would recommend pyro because you get the best spells way earlier than the other magic schools.

DS3 is the wrong game in the series to start playing as a magic-focused character. You don't have a lot of options at the start, and enemies and bosses are way more mobile and aggressive making it harder to hit them with powerful spells. It does pay off on NG+ from my experience. Buffed bosses still get melted with late-game spells, and you should have all the best equipment to maximize your damage output by NG+.

Thanks for the tip, guess I'm skipping magic again. For now that is.

After spending an hour in character creation I ended up picking Mercenary. It's new and perhaps dual-wielding is fun. Picked the life ring. I can still go back and pick something else if I chose wrong. Did I?

Anyway, I got killed by the crystal monster (of course I'm not turning back when you tell me to!) and then the first boss. Game feels different than I remember previous Souls games (faster?) and yet very familiar. Love the series, feels like coming home almost. Can't wait to play more later today.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Pyro is a good starting class IMO, the regular fireball already works well at the start, and the starter axe is good too.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Archdragon Peak and The Nameless King today, so just Soul Of Cinder to go and that's my DLC-included run finished. I remembered I captured the footage from when I beat Nameless King back in 2016, as it was a jammy-as-fuck finish (You can skip to about 5m30s to see what I mean)

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
In early stages of Dark Souls 3, there were more time states similar to Bloodborne that were cut entirely from the game. Lothric at night is stupidly beautiful. "Enveloping your world in darkness" would open you up to invaders according to item description, so it was just an early PvP concept.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
And that's this run-through finished today. First time round, I decided to go with the Hollows Of Londor. This time, went with the restored-sight Firekeeper.

The repetition of constantly linking the flame seems to be the root cause of many issues in the world and holding it from progressing forwards, so I'm happy to break the cycle and let a new age have a chance.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
I haven't asked for something this frivolous in a while, but anyone down for coop with my low-level char that's almost done with everything? Particularly someone on PS4 and doesn't mind dropping their entire inventory, viz. the untrue dark ring and shit from the ringed city expansion which I don't have.

I just beat the nameless king but can't get through the second phase of the fucking princes >:(

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Made quite a bit of progress over the weekend. Undead Settlement was a pretty great level, but now I've reached Farron's keep. Ugh a poisonous swamp. Of course they had to put one in here again. I still have traumas from 5-2. It doesn't seem nearly as bad though. Except for those fuckers who jump on you. Grab attacks are hell. So I went back and found and killed the Sage boss. Almost completely missed that one.

Anyway, I think it might be time I upgrade a weapon. I've been postponing it because I'm so bloody indecisive. So far I've been (once again) going for a dex build after picking the mercenary class. I got a Uchigatana and a Lothric Knight Sword. Both seem to scale well with dex if I infuse them with a sharp gem. Not sure which I should I go for though. Perhaps I should try to go for a quality build and put some points in strength? Unsure what the pro's/cons for that would be. Maybe I should even look at something completely different? Thanks for the help guys! :)

edit: decided to upgrade the Lothric Knight sword. It's a Sharp Lothric sword +3 now. Not sure if I like though haha. Kind of missing the range of my Uchigatana and it doesn't seem to do that much more damage. :(

Cathedral of the Deep is great so far though.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Uchi has bleed, should have gone with that. Oh well, you can still upgrade that one too!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure if I like this more than DS1. I like the faster paced gameplay and the environments better, but DS1 has the better level design. This isn't a bad thing, but I feel like DS3 uses the same exact template as BB (my fav Souls game) with its large open areas and hub world. One thing that I do miss from DS1 is that all the levels felt different and some bosses would take place on narrow bridges or ledges where you can fall off, while DS3 feels like every level is so wide open like Anor Lando.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, enemies straight up suck in this game. Coming right off Bloodborne did From forget they were making a Souls game or something? Enemies are super aggressive and have insane range (I'm looking at you fat cleric woman) It doesn't help that I'm trying to go full STR build this time so all of my attacks have a long wind-up. Easily my least favorite of these games. Easily.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, enemies straight up suck in this game. Coming right off Bloodborne did From forget they were making a Souls game or something? Enemies are super aggressive and have insane range (I'm looking at you fat cleric woman) It doesn't help that I'm trying to go full STR build this time so all of my attacks have a long wind-up. Easily my least favorite of these games. Easily.
The beginning is definitely tough. This game has the strongest regular enemies. The bosses are a joke comparatively. You definitely need to put points into health in this game. It doesn't help that using shields sucks compared to Dark Souls 1. You can tell they really wanted you to dodge instead of using your shield.

My advice is to summon when you can and keep pulling enemies back. Don't rush into groups.

Oct 28, 2017
The beginning is definitely tough. This game has the strongest regular enemies. The bosses are a joke comparatively. You definitely need to put points into health in this game. It doesn't help that using shields sucks compared to Dark Souls 1. You can tell they really wanted you to dodge instead of using your shield.

My advice is to summon when you can and keep pulling enemies back. Don't rush into groups.

I went completely against the grain then cuz I put 30 pts into vitality, 30 into strength... and nothing into health or endurance yet. Also I play hollowed. It's been straight miserable going through this game again and realizing that poise does nothing unless I'm swinging my sword at a specific frame. Maybe I should just respec at this point lol

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went completely against the grain then cuz I put 30 pts into vitality, 30 into strength... and nothing into health or endurance yet. Also I play hollowed. It's been straight miserable going through this game again and realizing that poise does nothing unless I'm swinging my sword at a specific frame. Maybe I should just respec at this point lol
Sounds like you're only around Crucifixion Woods or Farron Keep. Just restart. You can't respec until Rosaria. Spec into Health, Strength and Stamina. I'd even consider going as a sorcerer. Sorcerers are OP in this game. They have long range and basically all the enemies aren't resistant to spells.

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like you're only around Crucifixion Woods or Farron Keep. Just restart. You can't respec until Rosaria. Spec into Health, Strength and Stamina. I'd even consider going as a sorcerer. Sorcerers are OP in this game. They have long range and basically all the enemies aren't resistant to spells.

Yep, Farron Keep lol And I've already made a covenant with Rosaria so I think you're right about doing a re-do. It sucks because up until this point I've been replaying all the souls game as a STR build for the first time (I normally play dex) and I wasn't having a problem until this game. Oh well. I might just go Sorcery as I've never played range in Souls.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Farron Keep lol And I've already made a covenant with Rosaria so I think you're right about doing a re-do. It sucks because up until this point I've been replaying all the souls game as a STR build for the first time (I normally play dex) and I wasn't having a problem until this game. Oh well. I might just go Sorcery as I've never played range in Souls.
Sorcery completely shits on most enemies and is great in PvP as well. Don't be afraid to summon or put your summon sign down. Putting your sign down will allow you to learn the level better before you go in to do it yourself. It's also a great way to farm souls obviously.

Faith sucks in this game. Especially in NG+. I struggled through NG+++ as a faith/dex character. I also had like 23 points into health which is basically a one hit kill

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Go dex. Everyone seems to say strength builds aren't great in this one (haven't made one yet) but dex is great. Stay mobile and go full ninja.

You definitely need to put points into health in this game.
You should do that in every game, tbh.

Sounds like you're only around Crucifixion Woods or Farron Keep. Just restart. You can't respec until Rosaria.
Eh? Rosaria is right after Crucifixion Woods.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Uchi has bleed, should have gone with that. Oh well, you can still upgrade that one too!

Haha, typical. Yeah I guess I might just do that at a later point. Perhaps I'll try the tree's boss souls for that greatsword or spear and see what either is like.

Almost done with the Cathedral. Boss doesn't seem too hard. Almost had it first try and I just wanted to take a look (not done everything here yet.) But from what I understand is that Patches was supposed to show up after I speak to Siegward in the well and open the main doors. But he doesn't. It's probably not a big deal but I hate how the NPC stuff in these games can be so easily broken/missed. I wonder if I missed something or if it's too late to make him show up here anyway.