• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Re. Capra. I know about the firebomb-over-the-wall cheese (have done this). Wondering if poison mist can spread through the fog door and reach his starting position? I'd like to cheese that goat f*ck every which way on subsequent playthoughs.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
They've done a much better job in recent games putting bosses more easily within reach of bonfires. The closest bonfires to Four Kings and Nito are still a fucking drag if you have to make more than a couple attempts.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How do you help other people out or invade?

To help someone with a boss, you use a white soap stone, then the host touches your summon sign to summon you into the world.

To summon someone from a white soap stone, you need to be human, then the signs will pop up.

To invade, you need cracked red eye orbs, or the red eye orb (you get that from joining a sort of hidden covenant that you probably won't find on a first playthrough). You need to be human to invade.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How do you help other people out or invade?

To help people out: Talk to Solaire in Undead Burg (he's right after the Taurus Demon), and he gives you the White Soapstone. Drop a sign near a boss door or bonfire to be summoned for jolly cooperation!

To invade, you can do a number of things:

1. Join the Darkwraiths and use the Red Eye Orb to invade at will.
2. Use Cracked Red Eye Orbs to invade at will (these are consumable, though you don't have to be a Darkwraith)
3. Join the Darkmoon Blade and invade random "sinners"
4. Join the Forest Covenant, wear the provided ring, and be summoned to defend the forest
5. Join the Dragon Covenant and drop a sign for people to summon you for duels

You character level and weapon upgrades/possession of rare weapons affects the level range in which you can be summoned/invade: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/153CKO7jW7ve_ZOQ75mBHIax___uXlzfgrnn7AvpVtGA/edit#gid=0

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
is there a good strat for a low level run down to pinwheel from firelink, i know de way but the skull wheels get me 90% of the time at the end and i have no defense so its just GG and a waste of 5 mins every time it happens lol i can't remember any good strats to get to him aside from just getting lucky

The wheel skeletons only roll towards where you are, so a "delayed" zig zag would be the best way to avoid them, you just need to get the timing right and listen very carefully cause there're many of them.

I've done many soul level 1 playthroughs so far, they are really not much of an obstacal once you learned their behavior.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Lost 400k souls this morning. feels bad man

They've done a much better job in recent games putting bosses more easily within reach of bonfires. The closest bonfires to Four Kings and Nito are still a fucking drag if you have to make more than a couple attempts.
What route are you using for the Kings? The only annoying part of that run for me is waiting for the elevator. Running to Nito fucking sucks though, and does Manus.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Lost 400k souls this morning. feels bad man

What route are you using for the Kings? The only annoying part of that run for me is waiting for the elevator. Running to Nito fucking sucks though, and does Manus.

Yea you can get to 4 kings pretty easily. Don't even need a transient curse once you lower the water.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played DS2 and 3?

O&S stops feeling like that when you find out DS2 and 3 are all about mob control and boss fights against multiple foes at the same time.

I've played BB and DS3 (both all the way to NG7) and I've played DS2.

In my opinion, the S&O is unfair and not fun.

I felt the demons from's DS3 and Shadows of Yharnam from BB were executed better and definitely feel less cheap

Edit: How could I forget about the Twin Princes fight? Another 2 on 1 boss fight done right

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Dark souls 1 noob question, how come sometimes i have 0 humanities and all of the sudden one appears in my hud?

And also why sometimes an estus flask its added to my inventory?( looks like a flame coming to you)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dark souls 1 noob question, how come sometimes i have 0 humanities and all of the sudden one appears in my hud?

And also why sometimes an estus flask its added to my inventory?( looks like a flame coming to you)

If you kill numerous enemies in an area before killing the area's boss (see here: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/humanity-farming#toc6), kill someone you invaded, or help someone defeat a boss, you gain a soft humanity.

If you are near a bonfire and another person enkindles it in their game, you gain a bonus flask.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I've played BB and DS3 (both all the way to NG7) and I've played DS2.

I felt the demons from's DS3 and Shadows of Yharnam from BB were executed better and definitely feel less cheap

Edit: How could I forget about the Twin Princes fight? Another 2 on 1 boss fight done right

DS3 is the better game and improves on even the best boss fights from DS1, so it just feels...clunky. I don't think they're unfair though.

Squalid Queen Elena & Throne Defenders from DS2 are also both better than O&S. What O&S have on them is their design. The whole fat/skinny, spear/smash thing is great, they're a real dichotomous duo and Anor Londo is...well, it's Anor Londo.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
O&S is one of the best boss fights of all time.

Losing to them over and over is an essential part of the "new to Dark Souls" experiences and actually rewires your brain to make you a better player and person.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played DS2 and 3?

O&S stops feeling like that when you find out DS2 and 3 are all about mob control and boss fights against multiple foes at the same time.

As someone whose played all those games, I think O+S is still the worst because of how janky Ornstein is and the bullshit of Smough's charge. For example, Sentinel Guardians (or whatever they're called) in DS2 is like three boss enemies at once. But, a) they're all the same type so you don't have to learn different move sets, b) you can kill the first one on his own if you're quick, and c) even if you do end up facing 2 on 1 they give you enough time and aren't both ganking you the whole time. O+S are just gank city and powerhouse hitters on top.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone whose played all those games, I think O+S is still the worst because of how janky Ornstein is and the bullshit of Smough's charge. For example, Sentinel Guardians (or whatever they're called) in DS2 is like three boss enemies at once. But, a) they're all the same type so you don't have to learn different move sets, b) you can kill the first one on his own if you're quick, and c) even if you do end up facing 2 on 1 they give you enough time and aren't both ganking you the whole time. O+S are just gank city and powerhouse hitters on top.

Sentinel Guardians is just easier, it's not better lmao

O&S is badass because I played all of these games several times, and O&S can still give me a hard time if I get greedy and overconfident. I like the challenge of killing one over the other to get their gear, successfully maneuvering so that Smough gets stuck behind a pillar and you get three seconds to wail on Ornstein without fear of getting hit from offscreen is big time chef boyardee kissing fingers emoji.

Last edited:

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like every boss in this game could do with double the HP, barely get time to 'experience' what they have to offer.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Eh, Dark Souls 2 has some pretty miserable boss runs that would be even worse if you couldn't wipe enemies from respawning after killing them for a bit. And then there's the run to the final boss from Draenglic Castle which has no enemies but still takes over a minute of just dashing to the fog gate and nothing else.

It seems that DS2 either showers you with bonfires and just plops them next to the boss, or gives you a miserable experience to get to the boss.

I still have PTSD from Iron Passage and Memory of Old Iron King.

I think shadows of Yahrnam is the best of the gank Boss fights, but then again parry is pretty overpowered in BB so dealing with them is not as hard.

O&S is not bad and I prefer it to the Throne Watcher / Defender. I think that the fight teaches you to not rely on lock on. Plus you can kill either of them so fast it barely feels like a Gank fight.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
O&S is one of the best boss fights of all time.

Losing to them over and over is an essential part of the "new to Dark Souls" experiences and actually rewires your brain to make you a better player and person.
I disagree. Having finally beaten this "legendary" boss fight, I'm not impressed. It has aged horribly. The Twin Princes is a 2v1 boss fight done right. O&S is just clunky as all hell.

Frankula

Jan 16, 2018
Can someone confirm the scaling of the dragonslayer spear for me? I read somewhere that the remaster removed the faith scaling... i don't believe that!

Dec 6, 2017
US

There are issues with the ambient sound in certain areas, at least ones that were confirmed. It's been discussed in here in detail so I don't want to whine about the whole thing again. Ambient sound as in the constantly blowing wind etc. in some areas like Undead Parish, the magma/thunder-ish sound and wind or whatever it is in Lost Izalith. Not sure what other areas are affected.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
You can just use a weaker weapon on them.
True, perhaps then there's too many upgrade materials available early on.

But even the Asylum, Taurus and Capra Demon (once you get him alone) go down very quickly without any upgrades. Gargoyles were okay, but only because there's multiple of them.

I guess a two handed strength build is supposed to do heavy damage, to be fair.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. Having finally beaten this "legendary" boss fight, I'm not impressed. It has aged horribly. The Twin Princes is a 2v1 boss fight done right. O&S is just clunky as all hell.

I was stuck on that boss on 360 but on Ps4 I absolutely crushed them, I OP my character at the beginning of Anor Londo and leveled up 15 levels before I went to the big castle, I said alot of shit after i beat the crap out of them too.

The fight seems to hold up greatly actually.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
What is so clunky about it?

If anything the worst part about it is how simplistic it is. Kill Ornstein quickly while kiting Smough; Ornstein can't even hit you if you stay behind him. It's fun being summoned and just walk around Ornstein's attacks without damaging him while the host and other phantoms wail on Smough. Bait Super Smough's AoE slam and done. But for a new player they are super tough. They blocked my progress for almost two weeks in 2012 when I didn't know better.

I like the Shadows of Yahrnam fight because each of the Shadows has a different style and there are many different ways of approaching the fight. And of course like any BB it's well fleshed out in terms of phases so it ends up feeling more epic than O&S even though storywise they are fairly insignificant compared to the pivotal moment O&S represent in DS.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Not sure I would classify Twin Princess as a 2vs1, you essentially fight 1 dude at all times, just with some extra lasers in the second phase.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wont stand this O&S slander

Swift and lumbering duo covering each others weakspots, simple enough movesets for both that you can quickly pick up on, using the pillars to create space, the whole variable second phase of absorbing their defeated comrades power, we got player choice up in here. There's a lot of pieces to how they set this up as well as being the games graduation exam boss.
By comparison Throne Bodyguard and Throne Voyeur are like two mugs with swords just strolling towards you in a plain circle arena fighting like every other guy with a sword, they could've had some sick tag team moves or something but nah.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
True, perhaps then there's too many upgrade materials available early on.

But even the Asylum, Taurus and Capra Demon (once you get him alone) go down very quickly without any upgrades. Gargoyles were okay, but only because there's multiple of them.

I guess a two handed strength build is supposed to do heavy damage, to be fair.

I have not tried that build. I have a broad sword +10 Raw and working on my Dark Knight sword.

I can't remember if you can start more than one save (without being a different PSN login) but maybe try again with a new build.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Wait for the hand sweeps then drop down on to the branch. No need for any jumping at all, the branch extends far past where you drop down, just walk or roll of the edge on to it.

If you're finding the hand sweeps difficult to deal with due to stamina, try using a great shield to block them - on SL1 runs I two-hand the Eagle Shield (the lightest great shield, found in Blighttown upper area) which does the trick even at that low stamina. Just block both sweeps, drop down and roll through the middle branches.

I have 56 Demon Titanite in my inventory right now from killing the Titanite Demon each run to the Bed of Chaos. I'm a sorcerer, so no poise, not a ton of HP, and not enough strength or carry capacity to wield a great shield.

Here's how each of my runs to the Bed of Chaos go:

Start at the Bonfire before the Centipede.
Run past the Fire Demon boss room avoiding the two fire slug people.
Take the branch down, go through Covenant door, killing all eight bugs in the hallway where Solarire is pouting so he doesn't get killed by them.
Kill the Titanite Demon in the new hall.
Run past 23 more Fire Slug People and a kill Suction Cup dude through Lost Izalith.
Remove my Catalyst, Bellowcrest Ring, and Dusk Crown in favor of Fire protection and a Moonligjt Butterfly Horn.
Slide into the boss room, avoid the hands, make a run toward the center, lose half stamina, and am swept off the cliff making the final jump into the boss branch.

I've watched fifty videos on how to beat this random, shitty boss, and it's such infuriating, arbitrary, bad design. And they know it is! That's why he retains broken fire limbs (2) and a crumbled floor (1).

No other boss in any other From game does that, because this is the worst boss in the history of the Souls games. Fuck this game. Fuck this game.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Just got back to Bed of Chaos with my sorcerer, my first revisit since 2011, and wow I had almost forgotten what a pisstake that fight is. Zero effort if blessed by RNGesus, minimum 3 runs back if not.

Admittedly it's a lot easier now that I play a fast-rolling caster instead of a medium-rolling tower shield tank. That run speed.

Start at the Bonfire before the Centipede.

There's a bonfire behind a hidden wall in the "lava lake" or whatever with the big undead cerberus things, in the second "shrine"-like building, right before the broken tunnel/bridge that leads to a branch up towards the Bed of Chaos fight. I mean it's not going to make the fight more fun but at least you won't have to run as far. The gargoyles can be ignored and the bagpipe monster or whatever it's called should die to a single Homing Soul Mass.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is so clunky about it?

Ornstein is a stuttering mess in the first phase. Zooming all about, stopping suddenly because he's getting stuck on terrain and then immediately goes back to charging and hitting you out of nowhere.

It's not too bad, but I personally never held the boss fight in as high regard as everyone else.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So I thought I was gonna stop after my Four Kings NG+ victory yesterday, but continued on. Went through the Hollow and Ash Lake, and using Quelaag's Furysword +5 in Ariamis was such a different (easy) experience vs. going through it with a more standard GS in NG. It was fun cutting through everything. Got the tail this time around too. Now I'm in Duke's and struggling with my own impatience. I do like this area though.

Oct 27, 2017
London
What is this gravelord servant stuff that keeps popping up? Is that a covenant of some kind? Also got invaded and the invader rolled off the edge and died xD