• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The invasion rate in Anor Londo is ridiculous in the PC version right now (I am level 67). Every coop session that I join has multiple invaders at the start, and a steady stream of new ones every other minute.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally Four Kings beaten. It didn't take long only 4 tries including my infamous death without ring 1 death by Darkwraith who backstabbed me trough fog and 1 death to boss itself. To be honest I've got more problems getting to Abyss than fighting the boss.

Another thing. Chaos Servant covenant reward for Rank 2+ is Pyromancy and it's opening shortcut. Where the hell is that shortcut i was sure that the stone wall to the left of that Spider Lady would open or will be there a hidden passage but nope :/
Open shortcut before
Demon Firesage fight that leads to Lost Izalith.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like an idiot. Just got to the Dukes Archives and died multple times to the many crystal enemy guys. I'm a sorcery and mainly use that but there are too many of them and prefer to save spells when necessary. My ENTIRE play through so far I've been using a basic longsword with the hopes of turning it into a magic longsword to actually be useful. It's been pretty much useless since blighttown and the cause of much frustration and losing hope. This whole time I assumed you needed a magic ember in order to forge magic weapons at all but getting beaten many times (dealing only 17 damage on those enemies with my longsword) at the start of Dues Archives made me quit the game and google only to realize Rickert this ENTIRE time could forge up to +5..... I now have an actual useful melee weapon and a huge feeling of shame and embarrassment T_T

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was okay staying away from the unique weapon upgrades, until I realised the ghost jagged blade you find only rarely is needed twinkling tinanite. I got it to +3, am I boned?

Also, how stupid am I taking on The Four Kings before going to the Depths?

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, refresh my memory guys. I'm starting Blightown. What can I do to boost my poison / fucking toxic resistance. Spoil away.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, refresh my memory guys. I'm starting Blightown. What can I do to boost my poison / fucking toxic resistance. Spoil away.
This probably doesn't help, but I just ignore poison, since the drain is so slow. IINM, toxic is only a problem with the dart guys, which aside from one area, there aren't a lot of around. Poisonbite and Spider Shield help too. I just try to roll/dodge and get those jerks out of the way as quickly as possible.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Open shortcut before
Demon Firesage fight that leads to Lost Izalith.
It's kinda hilarious that the game doesn't give you any indication you opened a shortcut or where it might be
Get the spider shield from the depths. Drop down behind the first butcher guy where the large ember chest is, and you will be in the top part of the room with the big rat. The shield is there
Blooming purple moss clumps from undead merchant
Poisonbite ring

Look for armor with higher poison resist, that's the same stat for toxic. Ninja and pyromancer sets in Blighttown are pretty good for that. But really spider shield will help you the most

Frankula

Jan 16, 2018

Go to darkroot forest and grind some purple moss off the plant monsters. Go to the northern undead asylum and get the rusted iron ring (lets you move normally in the swamp). Get the spider shield from the depths.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Use dung pies on yourself to get Toxic status. The HP drain from the dung pies toxicity is much milder than the one from the blow darts. And since status ailments don't stack, the Toxic from the dung pie has priority. The troll hollows with the Clubs drop them by the dozen, by the way.

There's also the Spider Shield which will be of great aid against the blowdarts. Visit the undead vendor in the passage between the depths and Firelink and stock up on the appropriate Blooming Moss.
Finally, make sure to use the Rusted Iron Ring when you reach the bottom of the swamp. The bog at the bottom of the swamp will poison you but in general I don't even worry about it. Toxic is the effect you want to be wary of.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was okay staying away from the unique weapon upgrades, until I realised the ghost jagged blade you find only rarely is needed twinkling tinanite. I got it to +3, am I boned?

Twinkling is actually the easiest path to upgrade fully. You can buy infinite amounts from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo, no slabs to worry about.

Oct 25, 2017
Twinkling is actually the easiest path to upgrade fully. You can buy infinite amounts from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo, no slabs to worry about.

Have I levelled myself out of the match-making equation earlier than intended though?

SL23 for what it's worth. Depths/Blightown is the next obvious destination but I wanted to do Sif/at least Catacombs first.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I feel like an idiot. Just got to the Dukes Archives and died multple times to the many crystal enemy guys. I'm a sorcery and mainly use that but there are too many of them and prefer to save spells when necessary. My ENTIRE play through so far I've been using a basic longsword with the hopes of turning it into a magic longsword to actually be useful. It's been pretty much useless since blighttown and the cause of much frustration and losing hope. This whole time I assumed you needed a magic ember in order to forge magic weapons at all but getting beaten many times (dealing only 17 damage on those enemies with my longsword) at the start of Dues Archives made me quit the game and google only to realize Rickert this ENTIRE time could forge up to +5..... I now have an actual useful melee weapon and a huge feeling of shame and embarrassment T_T
I shouldn't laugh, but this is sort of my experience with Rickert as well. How many times in my 30+ hours of playtime hadn't I used the shortcut through New Londo and the Valley of Drakes to get to Blighttown. Never once did I realize I could've gone down the stairs to Rickert the entire time. I luckily didn't need the magic weapon, but still.

Nah not at all. Once you get to the Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave and have beaten the boss there, you can farm Twinkling Titanite very easily at the oysters in the cave. There are six of them right outside the bonfire room, so farm away.

Besides, normal weapons tend to outdamage most special weapons anyway once you get them to +10 or so.

Wear armor with resistance (the Shadow set is your best option if you're following the 'intended' route through the Depths and then into Blighttown), you can buy an anti-poison ring from Oswald of Carim (dude in the Parish Bell tower) for 15k souls, the female Undead Merchant sells moss (you need the flowered kind for toxic, but the normal ones also cure poison) and you can farm the tree enemies in Darkroot Garden for moss.

Other than that, don't worry about it too much. Toxic is dangerous, but poison damage ticks relatively slowly. You could just let yourself get poisoned and drink Estus whenever your health get low. Kindling the bonfire near the swamp area is a good idea to give you more Estus to work with.

Oh and you can go back to the Undead Asylum (look for a crow's nest in Firelink Shrine, curl up and wait 30 seconds) and get a ring that will make it much easier to run through the swamp (and any other liquid for that matter).

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Have I levelled myself out of the match-making equation earlier than intended though?

SL23 for what it's worth. Depths/Blightown is the next obvious destination but I wanted to do Sif/at least Catacombs first.
Oh, right. I dunno. For what it's worth I got +5 Black Knight weapon pretty early and I had no problem getting summoned anywhere. At level 40 with +5 twinkling weapon I was able to get summoned for Gaping, Sif, Quelaag, etc. Did Quelaag a bunch of times

There's so many weapons you can pick up that will put you in that +5 weapon level immediately, I don't really think it's a problem. At least not while so many people are playing. Not that it really helps anything, either. It's pretty pointless

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dagnabbit I knew it was the Spider shield. I looked at a guide and got that in my first play through, but I didn't know if there were other options to consider (and also didn't want to look up the Spider shield's location lol). Okay, thanks for all the responses.

See all those responses? This community is so cool :)

Edit: I googled the location. Now I'm going to try to get it in Valley of the Drakes. I feel dirty. (edit 3: got it easy peasy)

Edit 2: also I did already get the Rusted Iron Ring, crucial pick up for anyone like me lol.

Last edited:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any point to being able to warp to the bonfires at defeated boss rooms, like the abyss or gravelord's place?

It seems like there's no reason to ever go back there, unless I'm missing something?

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
So an odd thing if happening in my game (playing on PC) on my second character. I am placing down my white sign soapstone outside the bonfire before Taurus in Undead Burg, but I immediately get a message I am invading another world and I get summoned as a red phantom into another game. Why is this happening? Every single time. I got summoned like this a few days ago, and it was a game with 4 other players (all red phantoms minus one and all seemed pretty high level). I am only SL25 and have a +5 weapon, but nothing else. Am I somehow softbanned whit this character and only am getting this odd matchmaking? How come I am "invading" with a white soap sign.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After pouring about two weeks into NG -- farming everything that needed farming, collecting everything that needed collecting, etc. and generally soaking everything in for nostalgia's sake -- I moved onto NG+ and took all of about 45 minutes to ring both bells. I love how you can steamroll this game once it's just a matter of getting the boss souls and moving on.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Four King my ass, that were five of them.

Well, they're dead now and that's all that matters.

Question: my current main stats are Vit 30/End 32/Str 27/Dex 30. I noticed leveling Endurance doesn't improve stamina as much as it used to. Is it worth it to keep leveling it at this point? Or should I just pour everything into Dex until I get to 40 and then focus on Vit/End? I have two lords, the final boss and the DLC left, for what it's worth.

Is there any point to being able to warp to the bonfires at defeated boss rooms, like the abyss or gravelord's place?

It seems like there's no reason to ever go back there, unless I'm missing something?
Don't know about Nito's place, but the Abyss is probably there to prevent people from getting stuck for some reason, for example not bringing homeward bones.

Edit: Oh nevermind. I thought you asked why a bonfire is there. I just saw you can warp to it as well from other bonfires. That's indeed odd.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe how easy Quelaag and the Iron Golem were! The Golem just kneels down and let's me go ham on him halfway through the fight. Quelaag hit me one time. It must be this +4 BKS.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
So I've played and beaten all the games; SotFSs, BB, and DS3 twice each in the last two years so they're fresh in my mind. DeS and DaS when they released only. Just beat DSR. I think it's the worst game in series.

The sequels tax crowd control more, but DaS is often about placing the player at a disadvantage. Falling to a boss or starting with a sure hit. It's rarely fun. There's much more arbitrary trial and error (see; darkly lit, thin, or invisible paths), pincers, being mired in water, absurd distance between bonfires and from bonfire to bosses. And the Bed of Chaos - where victory is randomly determined by attack sequencing. It's also the game that pushes the most exhausting backtracking (DeS was hubbed) because you earn Bonfire teleporting late-game.

The sequels (and DeS) really fix things, and ironically feel so much less dated, not just mechanically which is objectively true but in terms of design.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
It takes like 5 seconds to get summoned in the DLC area, especially right around the Artorias entrance, and that's even while being fairly over-leveled for NG.

Was just helping someone take on Kalameet, we were almost done and then "connection to Dark Souls server has been lost, returning to title menu." So that's cool.

Now when I try to go back in the game it tells me an update is available on Xbox Live and needs to be installed before I can start in online mode. Check for updates (My Games & Apps as well as in the Manage Game menu) and there are no updates available. So that's also cool.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Well this is odd. I'm using my Divine Claymore on the skeletons in the Catacombs yet they still respawn after a few seconds. I don't think that should be happening?

Edit: The hell? My Claymore isn't divine anymore... How the hell did that happen? I know it must sound like I'm confused and didn't actually upgrade it, but I swear I did.

Ugh, back to Andre...

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It takes like 5 seconds to get summoned in the DLC area, especially right around the Artorias entrance, and that's even while being fairly over-leveled for NG.

Was just helping someone take on Kalameet, we were almost done and then "connection to Dark Souls server has been lost, returning to title menu." So that's cool.

Now when I try to go back in the game it tells me an update is available on Xbox Live and needs to be installed before I can start in online mode. Check for updates (My Games & Apps as well as in the Manage Game menu) and there are no updates available. So that's also cool.

I was on my fourth King, solo, and the game disconnected last night, then restarted in offline mode putting me outside the fog gate with 2 Homing Souls as my only spells remaining.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
So I've played and beaten all the games; SotFSs, BB, and DS3 twice each in the last two years so they're fresh in my mind. DeS and DaS when they released only. Just beat DSR. I think it's the worst game in series.

The sequels tax crowd control more, but DaS is often about placing the player at a disadvantage. Falling to a boss or starting with a sure hit. It's rarely fun. There's much more arbitrary trial and error (see; darkly lit, thin, or invisible paths), pincers, being mired in water, absurd distance between bonfires and from bonfire to bosses. And the Bed of Chaos - where victory is randomly determined by attack sequencing. It's also the game that pushes the most exhausting backtracking (DeS was hubbed) because you earn Bonfire teleporting late-game.

The sequels (and DeS) really fix things, and ironically feel so much less dated, not just mechanically which is objectively true but in terms of design.
I prefer traversal far more in Dark Souls than the others. I'm often thinking about the routes I need to take to get where I want to go. Love it.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
Wow, I can't believe how stupid invasions in this game are. My wife and I keep getting invaded almost instantly by different people all using gear way stronger than us who we can't even damage. It's rediculous.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Agreed with everything, although I personally don't see the backtracking as a bad thing. Maybe I should note I also go everywhere on foot in Skyrim (with the exception of cities, where carriages can bring me). I did not mind the running around in Dragon's Dogma either.

But yeah, agreed with the game putting you at a disadvantage. The game has a reputation of being hard but fair, but especially later on the game puts you in situations you simply cannot prepare for. Enemies that jump at you from dark corners while you're pre-occupied with another enemy are a good example of this. It feels like trial and error.

I'm very curious how DS3 will be, which I can hopefully play in a few days when I'm done with DSR.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So this is weird. Earlier I cooped at Sen's with no issues, helped a bunch of people take out the boss. Recectly beat the boss on my own. Decided to drop a sign for a few more Souls and humanity. Now we're getting invaded all the damn time.

Does invasion likelihood go up after finishing an area? Shouldn't it be rooted to the host tho?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Man, it's so satisfying to pancake enemies with the zweihander's overhead slam. Reminds me of playing Siegfried/Nightmare in Soul Calibur

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Agreed with everything, although I personally don't see the backtracking as a bad thing. Maybe I should note I also go everywhere on foot in Skyrim (with the exception of cities, where carriages can bring me). I did not mind the running around in Dragon's Dogma either.

But yeah, agreed with the game putting you at a disadvantage. The game has a reputation of being hard but fair, but especially later on the game puts you in situations you simply cannot prepare for. Enemies that jump at you from dark corners while you're pre-occupied with another enemy are a good example of this. It feels like trial and error.

I'm very curious how DS3 will be, which I can hopefully play in a few days when I'm done with DSR.

It's a much more approachable game mechanically and in the depths of all the spells and Melee specializations. Has larger, better developed, prettier level design with more generous bonfires. Also looks amazing and has some cool nods. Feels much fairer while still being difficult.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I just beat the bed of chaos (and as much as people rag on Dark Souls 2 for being the weakest entry), nothing in DS2 comes close to how bad the bed of chaos is. The bed of chaos (and the lead up to it) are basically the lowest points in the series. Bed of Chaos is designed to be a fight where winning is out of your hands and having to continually run from that bonfire to the boss door gives you enough time to reflect and realize this.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Man the PVP blows. Get invaded and it always ends up with them backstabbing me and again immediately after and again and again until I die.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Bed of Chaos sucks!! I finally beat it but having to do that run over and over just to fall in a pit ten seconds in....nah.

Tomb of Giants was annoying too.

But, four kings was really fun. In fact, all of New Londo was fun when I stocked up on transient curses. I have all the lord vessels now and Solaire should be safe. Maybe I'll try the dlc before the last boss.

I've really enjoyed this game a lot. The one thing this game nails that others don't, is how is how connected the world is. It's amazing seeing visited locations in the distance.

Also, is this a vagrant? Came upon this fucker earlier. Forgive my wild swings.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Bed of Chaos sucks!! I finally beat it but having to do that run over and over just to fall in a pit ten seconds in....nah.

Tomb of Giants was annoying too.

But, four kings was really fun. In fact, all of New Londo was fun when I stocked up on transient curses. I have all the lord vessels now and Solaire should be safe. Maybe I'll try the dlc before the last boss.

I've really enjoyed this game a lot. The one thing this game nails that others don't, is how is how connected the world is. It's amazing seeing visited locations in the distance.

Also, is this a vagrant? Came upon this fucker earlier. Forgive my wild swings.

That is indeed a vagrant. I still have yet to encounter one in the remaster.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just want to leave a general tip on covenants here:

Do not cchange covenants unless you have just reached a milestone in it ( usually 10 and 30 of the covenant item devoted)!

Your contributions towards the next rank will be halved in this game.
Say, you just reached Rank 2 in the Chaos Servant Covenant, that will be safe. But if you only gave 6 humanity at Rank 1 and you change covenants at that point your contribution will be treated as 3 humanity.

So in short: Only change covenants after reaching a new rank.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man the PVP blows. Get invaded and it always ends up with them backstabbing me and again immediately after and again and again until I die.

Backstab fishers are the worst.

The easiest and simplest solution to most of them is actually to act against all your instincts and walk diagonally TOWARDS them while you are locked on and you see them trying to circle you.

The moment your character does a 180 degree turn is when you hit R1. That's a simple Counter backstab.
This will work with at least 60% of the people invading you and just trying to circle around you for a backstab.

Another method is an unlocked run towards your opponent's right or left left shoulder. The moment you reach their shoulder tilt the stick hard to the right or left and hit R1 for the backstab. Lag will often make it look like you stabbed them trom the front though.

There are counters to this as well of course but usually it's only the pvp specific players that know them.

Tldr; your best bet against backstab fishers is to counter their poor attempt or backstab on your own.

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

Spider shield has 100% resist to poison, so use that to block the toxic darts on the way down. I wouldn't worry about the poison pond at the bottom honestly, I'd just put on the ring that lets you run in water and just use estus when almost dead. Poison takes so long to really affect your life that unless you're not paying attention it shouldn't kill you.

Depends on the boss room. For the Four Kings's Abyss you can talk to Kaathe for lore and for him to take you to the kiln of first flame entrance if you decided to join him and not Frampt. For Seth, it's useful for farming the clam enemies outside the room since they drop twinkling titanite. For Nito and Bed of Chaos it's worthless since you can't get out of of the boss area by normal means and nothing is there.

Last edited: