Oct 27, 2017
London
Hey guys, 2 questions if I may:

1. I read something about a new pyromancy in Blighttown after I got my flame to level 10. What's up with that?

1a. Any particular pyromancies I should be looking for? Have Chaos great fireball.

2. Is there a good, easy to navigate (not .txt), comprehensive walkthrough you'd recommend? Or something like a mix of a walkthrough and a more general "guide"? I'm trying to figure out what is available to me at any given point, and I've realized that I remember the first half really well but not the second half (go figure), and I'd like to hit as many side quests and stuff as I can. Don't need my hand held, just trying to not miss too much, and these days I don't have time to just wander forever unfortunately (although I do my share of wandering)

Learn from my mistakes and DON'T say yes to Laurence's question after you finish that area and if you did say yes then DON'T KILL the egg dude near a bonfire after the boss if you haven't upgraded the flame enough. Don't press 'no' by mistake like I did when he talks to you! That how I ruined my own pyro playthrough lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I made a crappy distribution between STR and DEX early on because I had no idea what weapons I wanted and I have never played DS1 before. Last boss I beat was Quelaag, and tried going into Sen's and got ruined by all the snakes there. Feel like my weapon doesn't do enough damage. Time for quality build I guess? I am using Longsword +4 which scales well with both STR and DEX. Have the Claymore which is another popular quality build weapon as well.
There's your problem. You should've had the ability to go to +10 since the Depths, so kudos on making it to Sen's with such an underpowered weapon. Take that baby up to +10 and those snake men in Sen's should be getting one shot from a single riposte, which is the way you really want to be dealing with them, their moveset is set up for parrying and will be good practice going forward.

Longsword is a quality weapon C/C STR/DEX so will be taking advantage of your stats already it just needs to be upgraded. Can't stress enough in the Souls series I would take spending souls on upgrading my weapon over a few levels any day.

Oct 27, 2017
London
There's your problem. You should've had the ability to go to +10 since the Depths, so kudos on making it to Sen's with such an underpowered weapon. Take that baby up to +10 and those snake men in Sen's should be getting one shot from a single riposte, which is the way you really want to be dealing with them, their moveset is set up for parrying and will be good practice going forward.

Longsword is a quality weapon C/C STR/DEX so will be taking advantage of your stats already it just needs to be upgraded. Can't stress enough in Souls I would take spending souls on upgrading my weapon over a few levels any day.

Have the ability to get +10 for a while now. Just as I suspected, my weapon is underleveled. And I made it through the mobs of Blighttown and the boss like that lol.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
What are the ideal bonfires to kindle? I just have firelink and next to andre for 10 estus. Only as far as getting ready to do quelagg or whatever in blighttown

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
What are the ideal bonfires to kindle? I just have firelink and next to andre for 10 estus. Only as far as getting ready to do quelagg or whatever in blighttown

the ones before bosses.

that's not much help without spoilers but if you go into NG+, the kindling carries over.

but really if you grab the Covetus Gold Serpent Ring in a little bit (boosts your chances of discovering dropped items) then you can spend a while farming humanity pretty easily and risk-free. that way you can kindle to your heart's content

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Have the ability to get +10 for a while now. Just as I suspected, my weapon is underleveled. And I made it through the mobs of Blighttown and the boss like that lol.
This game is 65% weapon. Find one you like The move set of and jut kill everything in your way. When I started I spent a lot of time at gargoyles leveling up different weapons to +5 and see if I like the move set. For me, the most killer are halberds and the claymore. Still love EM but I like the straight sword as well. Also prefer to go either no shield or crest shield on the back and make sure I have light enough armor to fast roll. Fast mid roll can be ok as well :)

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
So I kill the Chaos Bug that turns "you know who" insane, and I know I killed the right one cause it dropped the Sunlight Maggot. The Demon kills me, I go back and there "you know who" is with the damn thing on his head. WTF.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the plat. Speedran the game twice today because I fucked up my first run and consumed a soul when I shouldn't have. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
O&S went down on my 4th try solo. Honestly, they're not that bad, more the a) hype and b) making sure to keep them both in front of you. When Ornstein whiffs, he's super punishable.

Super Smough was a cakewalk compared to other bosses.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Chaos weapon and a handful of pyros/miracles/rare weapons to collect and that'll be that. So close, yet so far.

O&S went down on my 4th try solo. Honestly, they're not that bad, more the a) hype and b) making sure to keep them both in front of you. When Ornstein whiffs, he's super punishable.

Super Smough was a cakewalk compared to other bosses.
Yeah, doing it the other way is a different story IMO. But there are those who will say it's easier, so whatever. LOL

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
Any news about the switch version? I have it pre-ordered on Amazon, but I'm sick of waiting for news...

I'll grab it on ps4 if it's end of the summer..."summer"

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's better to take down Ornstein first if you're melee, Smough first if you're ranged. At least, that's how it works out for me.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Got Super Ornstein down to 2 hits when I ran out of estus and choked. Next attempt, I sat on the remote and turned the TV off as I entered the fog door. Consider me tilted.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I need for plat is a red titanite slab for my Chaos Weapon, the miracles from Gwyn's soul, Gravelord and Darkmoon Covenants, and the Silver Knight weapons/shield which are like a 1% chance to drop. Sucks.

Also need the third Sif weapon.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm absolutely breezing through NG+. Great Scythe and a parrying dagger, with some occasional pyromancy. The only boss I've died to so far is O&S phase 1. Super Smough was a complete chump.

I love that O&S have bespoke elevators to go up to the princess.

All I need for plat is a red titanite slab for my Chaos Weapon, the miracles from Gwyn's soul, Gravelord and Darkmoon Covenants, and the Silver Knight weapons/shield which are like a 1% chance to drop. Sucks.

Also need the third Sif weapon.
I'm about the same but I have all the rare drop weapons. Those silver knights weren't too bad, I think the 1% rate is with no humanity or buff ring.

Weird that they didn't include a red slab in the DLC. I'm going to ascend a second pyromancy flame and give it to Snuggly.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They didn't include a red slab in the DLC I think because of the Snuggly trade. The chest that contains the Red Chunk in Oolacile was I imagine originally supposed to be a slab probably until they realised that would give you 3 per run as opposed to blue and white where you only get 2.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Just got to the New Londo ruins (first-timer here). How long does the item that lets you attack ghosts last?

Also will I need it for the boss?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There is a visual effect for transient curse, it's the same as stamina regin items but white, can be quite difficult to see. Agree with Guppeth about having it active on your item slot so you can see it greyed out.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Five minutes. Put it on the D-pad and you'll see when it's active because the item will be greyed out.

You don't need it for the boss, you need the ring from Sif.
I killed sif, but I actually thought that was an optional boss. Unless New Londo is an optional area too?

There is a visual effect for transient curse, it's the same as stamina regin items but white, can be quite difficult to see. Agree with Guppeth about having it active on your item slot so you can see it greyed out.
I'll do this. Thanks.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
New Londo boss is a Lord Soul boss, so definately not optional, which makes Sif compulsory too. Sorry dog lovers!

They're optional in when you can do them, they could be your first and second boss out of the Asylum if you're a masochist!

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
3 quick questions:

- I'm at The Duke's Archives, how many hours do I have left till facing the final boss? (roughly)
- When should I consider doing the DLC?
- What's the best place/way for farming humanity?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
3 quick questions:

- I'm at The Duke's Archives, how many hours do I have left till facing the final boss? (roughly)
- Depends on how many other lord soul bosses you haven't killed yet. Archives took me a couple of hours.
- You'll get an item to open the DLC in the Archives and you should do it before the final boss. I did it after unlocking the Lordvessel door.
- Warp to the Depths and stab rats.

Edit: there's also an area near the end of the DLC that's good for Humanity farming. Seemed better than Depths to me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
- Depends on how many other lord soul bosses you haven't killed yet. Archives took me a couple of hours.
- You'll get an item to open the DLC in the Archives and you should do it before the final boss. I did it after unlocking the Lordvessel door.
- Warp to the Depths and stab rats.

Edit: there's also an area near the end of the DLC that's good for Humanity farming. Seemed better than Depths to me.

You need to do the first part of the quest to get to the DLC before you get the item from the archives.

You need to kill the Darkroot Basin Hydra, quit and load back in, head to the cave at the back of the water area, and kill the Gold Golem who appears, then talk to the NPC who appears. Then you can grab the item to unlock the DLC from the Gold Golem at the start of the Archives.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
3 quick questions:

1. There are Four Lord Souls, so it depends on how many you have.
2. Whenever you want.
3. The Depths or a certain DLC area, you'll know it when you see it.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Those ghosts in NG+ holy heck!!

I do find it amusing that I'm struggling with the regular enemies dealing extra damage, than I am with the bosses. Yes I've died a few times during the boss fights.... but usually I'll die a few times before I get to the boss section of the level.

Pinwheel, the Asylum + Stray Demons, Capra Demon, Taurus Demon, Gaping Demon went down without a lot of difficulty. Yet the regular enemies wipe off a lot of my health if I'm super sloppy.

Ornstein & Smough were an issue, I even resorted to summoning and was down to my last humanity which I wasted (died before I made it to the boss area lol). I was tempted to go all the way back through Sen's Fortress and then to the Depths to grab more humanity from the rats.... I persisted in the O&S fight and won.

The thing with the O&S fight for me is their positioning at the start, sometimes I'd swear it was cheap (or I was just unlucky) in terms of where I walked through the fog gate and where Ornstein would zoom on me within seconds and Smough would be able to gang up on me before I am able to roll to safety. It's kind of like the Capra Demon and the dogs. If I get off to a good start I can usually beat both O&S. If I start off in a bad spot, I'm unlikely to recover.

Last edited:

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm really close to finishing the game and I'm REALLY confused by some of the praise this game got. I would agree that the world in this game is more interesting than DS2 for example, but Dark Souls 1 seems impossible to beat without some sort of walk-through. Who thought that Crystal Cave level was a great idea?!

That said, it's still a great game, just like any other Dark Souls. Could we please have Bloodborne 2 now?!

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really close to finishing the game and I'm REALLY confused by some of the praise this game got. I would agree that the world in this game is more interesting than DS2 for example, but Dark Souls 1 seems impossible to beat without some sort of walk-through. Who thought that Crystal Cave level was a great idea?!

That said, it's still a great game, just like any other Dark Souls. Could we please have Bloodborne 2 now?!
You don't need a walkthrough for the crystal caves. Pay attention to the "snow" that's falling. It will either keep falling or land on the invisible path. It's a subtle, yet clear indication that there's a pathway there. The game does a decent job at introducing this to you at the first invisible path.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
You don't need a walkthrough for the crystal caves. Pay attention to the "snow" that's falling. It will either keep falling or land on the invisible path. It's a subtle, yet clear indication that there's a pathway there. The game does a decent job at introducing this to you at the first invisible path.
Yeah, I figured that out almost right away. And it still took me 50 tries to get through that stupid level. I thought I was supposed to go through the cave because they literally put a sign that says FALL HERE where you ACTUALLY NEED TO GO!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I figured that out almost right away. And it still took me 50 tries to get through that stupid level. I thought I was supposed to go through the cave because they literally put a sign that says FALL HERE where you ACTUALLY NEED TO GO!
The 'fall here' is for the Golden Crystal Golem that's down there.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's plenty beatable without help, but you would miss a LOT.

Personally I never would have found how to go back to the asylum, which would mean I'd miss the painted world. Also wouldn't have found the great hollow and ash lake. Wouldn't have met Gwyndolin or the Fair Lady. Probably wouldn't have found the DLC entrance. Would have missed a bunch of NPC appearances/interactions.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing I honestly don't buy anyone would be able to figure out without help is how you access the DLC. How the hell are you supposed to make the link to Broken Pendant --> Location where you rescued Dawn possibly 10-20 hours earlier?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's plenty beatable without help, but you would miss a LOT.

Personally I never would have found how to go back to the asylum, which would mean I'd miss the painted world. Also wouldn't have found the great hollow and ash lake. Wouldn't have met Gwyndolin or the Fair Lady. Probably wouldn't have found the DLC entrance. Would have missed a bunch of NPC appearances/interactions.

Out of all those, I think the DLC entrance is the most obscure. To this day I think it's hilarious how you access the DLC. At the time you could notice there's suddenly a new crystal golem in Dukes Archives, but still had to put the pieces together or just look it up. I don't really know how new players are supposed to figure it out really. I know there's clues but it's still pretty nutty

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I honestly don't buy anyone would be able to figure out without help is how you access the DLC. How the hell are you supposed to make the link to Broken Pendant --> Location where you rescued Dawn possibly 10-20 hours earlier?
It mentions Oolacile, therefore, the location has something to do with Dusk.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The one that bothers me the most is the way back to the asylum. I actually found the nest and curled up, but when nothing happened I figured I was missing some item or event trigger to make it work.

Oh, and I also had to look up how to proceed in Anor Londo. Pretty sure sides of the thing that you run up to get into the painting church are steeper than a lot of places where you would normally slip off and die.

It mentions Oolacile, therefore, the location has something to do with Dusk.
Sure, but the spot where you can talk to her is so far away from where the portal is. Unless she mentions it (I don't know if she does or not), there's no apparent reason to go back over there

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I actually figured out the DLC.
I had to use a walkthrough to figure out how you get to fight Four Kings though lol.