• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
OMG. I killed the Capra Demon first try.

I remember nearly giving up the game years ago at this boss. Must have tried it 20 times at least back then.

Loving the remaster.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so i bought the game on pc day 1, im having trouble connecting to a friend any good way of playing co-op without having to try like 40 minutes to see my friends white sign?
also, don't put your sign too much near a bonfire, and if I recall, only one of your must put your sign, if the two of your put it together, you probably won't see it

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people always say there's no warning for the bridge, but there are plenty of context clues in the environment that make it obvious something is up. You also get an audio cue right before it happens, although obviously if you ran in without thinking about it that's going to come too late.
Even then, the game accomodates both playstyles.

If you're going slowly, when you hear the dragon you have enough time to run back. If you just go sprinting, you have time to go down the stairs (it's how I do it these days, since I know I have the time). If you don't see the stairs, well, at some point it has to be ok to take damage for not paying attention. Depending on your Vitality and defense, you don't even die instantly, you can abuse the iframes from getting up and rolling to get to safety after getting hit by fire once.

The real reason the dragon surprise is OK is because the game gives you a Homeward Bone the moment you slay the boss, so it doesn't jeopardize your boss souls.

Edit: By the way, what's a good STR weapon? Something that's kind of lumbering, slow, clunky and extremely powerful. Currently rocking a Zweihander +3 and one-shotting the assholes in the Parish was fun but I'm starting to have second doubts as to whether that's the run I want to have.
I love the Zwei, one of my favorite weapons in the game, but if you want something even rougher, you can always get
the dragon tail weapon from Ash Lake.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, people always say there's no warning for the bridge, but there are plenty of context clues in the environment that make it obvious something is up. You also get an audio cue right before it happens, although obviously if you ran in without thinking about it that's going to come too late.

Though some people obviously would've missed it, the same thing happens in Demons Souls as well

Oct 25, 2017

I remember nearly giving up the game years ago at this boss. Must have tried it 20 times at least back then.

Loving the remaster.
Congrats! That's how it usually goes, I died so many times against Capra on my first playthrough, and now it's so easy. It's awesome how much you evolve as a player in these games. Many hard games will always be hard unless you straight up build muscle memory for it, but Souls can get way easier by just having an understanding of what to do.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen a comparison between X and Pro yet? DF? Was going to hold out for the Switch, but alas, here we are!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finally home! Since we're back to the slow stuff after DkS3 and BB, I gotta ask: what's the best/most fun greatsword/Ultra GS build? I've played the game a lot but I realized that I've never tried a real greatsword build. Two handing that fucker, rolling around and smashing things to bits.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Congrats! That's how it usually goes, I died so many times against Capra on my first playthrough, and now it's so easy. It's awesome how much you evolve as a player in these games. Many hard games will always be hard unless you straight up build muscle memory for it, but Souls can get way easier by just having an understanding of what to do.

Thats true, im parrying like a boss and getting through areas that used to take me ages.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
WOW, I just got this home from Osaka. 2 day delivery time, that's insane. Knife for comparison.

img_2722sjovo.jpg

img_272560qqb.jpg

Dec 6, 2017
US
Figured I'd ask since I'm already in here despite not playing the damn game right now:

How's the brightness/contrast in the final game now compared to the original and how does the lighting affect areas we potentially hadn't seen prior? Are previously very dark areas too bright for example, anything like that? Just curious how it all holds up.

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd ask since I'm already in here despite not playing the damn game right now:

How's the brightness/contrast in the final game now compared to the original and how does the lighting affect areas we potentially hadn't seen prior? Are previously very dark areas too bright for example, anything like that? Just curious how it all holds up.
On the contrary, the gamma seems to be more properly applied now, and the default brightness will have the dragon almost invisible in a properly calibrated screen.

It makes perfect sense why a poorly calibrated screen required them to turn the brightness all the way up in events. Also, I tried setting brightness to 10 just to check it, and it looks worse compared to default brightness than vanilla DS looked at 10 brightness. Probably related to how their lighting works.

Usually in Souls games I'd recommend people to just ignore what the brightness slider settings said and either leave it on default or setting it to 4, but I'm pretty sure this game's brightness settings should be set according to what the screen shows you.

I honestly think it looks great, but as you probably recall, I was already sold on it since the DF video, so I'm not the best metric for you.

You don't play on PC, though, right? If you did, you could always just test it yourself and get a refund before 2 hours of playtime if you don't like it.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017

Loving the remaster.
Nice. I really used to struggle with Capra, going in as light as possible, dodging the dogs and running up the stairs. Always used to take me many attempts to beat him.

Last time I played, I used the Halberd and had it at +2 or 3, entered the room and killed the dogs straight away with a few pokes and then killed Capra, didn't even use the stairs. I'll be trying the Halberd method again I think when my copy arrives later.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Last time I played, I used the Halberd and had it at +2 or 3, entered the room and killed the dogs straight away with a few pokes and then killed Capra, didn't even use the stairs. I'll be trying the Halberd method again I think when my copy arrives later.

Ahh yes. The pokey pokey method. I am well versed with this technique. They used to call me Joe 'the Turtle' Spangle.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
The real reason the dragon surprise is OK is because the game gives you a Homeward Bone the moment you slay the boss, so it doesn't jeopardize your boss souls.

Edit: By the way, what's a good STR weapon? Something that's kind of lumbering, slow, clunky and extremely powerful. Currently rocking a Zweihander +3 and one-shotting the assholes in the Parish was fun but I'm starting to have second doubts as to whether that's the run I want to have.

There's lots of good ones. I think my favorite is the Large Club (rare drops from the fatties in blighttown)
Really, they're all good. Great Club, Dragon Tooth, etc. Pretty similar to each other and it comes down to which specific moveset you like the most and how much weight you can manage, the attack rating will only differ by a bit between most of them. The Demon's Greataxe has the highest attack rating IIRC

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What was the greatsword or w/e you could get as soon as you get to Firelink by running through the skeleton land and how, exactly, do you get it again?

e: nevermind, I got it. Thought it was the claymore.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to start a Claymore build. I always play the game safe and everyone raves about that weapon so I'm going to two-hand that bad boy and make a ruckus.

Dec 6, 2017
US
On the contrary, the gamma seems to be more properly applied now, and the default brightness will have the dragon almost invisible in a properly calibrated screen.

It makes perfect sense why a poorly calibrated screen required them to turn the brightness all the way up in events. Also, I tried setting brightness to 10 just to check it, and it looks worse compared to default brightness than vanilla DS looked at 10 brightness. Probably related to how their lighting works.

Usually in Souls games I'd recommend people to just ignore what the brightness slider settings said and either leave it on default or setting it to 4, but I'm pretty sure this game's brightness settings should be set according to what the screen shows you.

I honestly think it looks great, but as you probably recall, I was already sold on it since the DF video, so I'm not the best metric for you.

You don't play on PC, though, right? If you did, you could always just test it yourself and get a refund before 2 hours of playtime if you don't like it.

Ah no, sadly PC has never been an option for me, so it'd be PS4 if anything. I'm holding off for quite some time anyway as MGSV unexpectedly just entered my life and totally fucked up any gaming-time-investment strategies I had for the foreseeable future. In short, I bought God Of War and haven't even touched that because of my apparent MGSV addiction. It'll probably be a few months before I get the Remaster if at all, so it was mainly curiosity right now.

I think the brightness was mainly alright in the Network Test and I thought I saw on some videos that the filters in the heavily filtered areas weren't touched. The only thing I'm still bitchy about visually really is that they dialed back the bloom so much, it looked great in the original although I'm one of the few apparently to actually think this. That and the seemingly sometimes 'plasticy' armor look is pretty stupid.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My first build was ass, and I remember it fondly.
Gargoyle's Halberd and quelaag's fury sword mostly, with eagle shield (used to block 100% physical!). I remember farming souls so I could meet the stat requirements for the Artorias sword, and how disappointing that wound up being. Artorias weapons are good in the other games though

Even though I played the fuck out of Demon's Souls, my first build in Dark Souls was all over the place. I'm really looking forward to diving back into it with a clearer focus of the type of build I want, not to mention my overall experience with Souls games since I played the original. It should be fun.

I'm pissed that my Detroit delivery was delayed until next week, so it looks like it's going to be an all Dark Souls weekend. Not a bad thing, but I was hoping to play a game I haven't played before for the long weekend. :(

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
on consoles can we not slide down ladders anymore? i was playing the og bc version before the remastered came out earlier on the xbox one x and holding (B) going down ladders didn't slide but i saw a summon sliding down in my instance and thought they must be playing on 360. bought remastered on both x1x & ps4 pro and tried to slide down ladders on both but couldn't. am i remembering incorrectly on how to slide down? thought it was holding down the sprint/dodge button.

Hold down on the left stick also.

Double-tap.

Slide.

Enjoy!

ok, got this sorted. not sure why i didn't figure this out on my own but thanks for the help.
on consoles, the default button settings to dash/roll/backstop for ps4 & xbox is;
(O) or (B)
respectively.
to slide down ladders you cannot press up or down on the left stick while pressing (O) or (B)
no tapping is necessary, just a single button press.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I really used to struggle with Capra, going in as light as possible, dodging the dogs and running up the stairs. Always used to take me many attempts to beat him.

A couple of armor pieces with poise (or the wolf ring) will give you a lot of insurance combined with the halberd, cause it's really getting staggered that makes that fight annoying. If you can tank a dog leaping attack while killing it, the fight is really easy

Anyone managed to summon another human player in at all?
Yeah it's working pretty well, only got a couple summoning failed

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks and plays great on my pro, couldn't be happier.
Couple questions, no items in boxes or barrels? Pretty sure there was one entry that had them, I think BB. Will still smash them though. :p
Hidden walls, roll or hit?

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I hope people start posting some screen shots!

I didn't get a chance to play last night but eager to see the new lighting in different areas.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions, no items in boxes or barrels? Pretty sure there was one entry that had them, I think BB. Will still smash them though. :p
Very very rare, I can only remember one barrel with an item in DS1. So destroy them all!

Anything works on hidden walls in this game, even kicks. I personally always roll.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Think I'm gonna go for a Claymore build too. Never aimed for it. Probably gonna vary between 2-handing it and wielding it and a shield. When can I get it at the earliest?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

No items in wooden boxes or barrels but they do hide items behind them sometimes.

Hidden walls you hit with your weapon but i think it might work rolling too. Can't remember exactly.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody ever started this game by immediately going down and acquiring The Great Scythe?

How easy is this to do?

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks a bunch! Not long to go, then. Tonight's mission is gonna be getting that sword.
It's not too hard. Just bait the dragon down then haul ass past it to the bonfire under the gate it's standing on. After that the dragon will fly off and you can easily grab the sword. This also opens up a shortcut to the parish and gives you access to the sunbros covenant (if you have 25 fth)

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody ever started this game by immediately going down and acquiring The Great Scythe?

How easy is this to do?
It's pretty tough. If you can, try to get there without using a bonfire in the catacombs. Getting out can be just as hard as getting in. If you do use bonfires, try to take your time and kill the necromancers. I also think there are some pretty big shortcuts you can by jumping down in certain spots.

Lool for a YouTube video called "dark souls overpowered in ten minutes" I think it shows you the way to do exactly what you want