Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Jesus. I'm not even going to watch that based on the title. So I guess with my first post I'd say he sorta flew towards that point of "Punch down, but don't be a giant POS about it" and the veered off when he saw a sign saying "Well, go ahead and be a giant POS about ______ 'cause it's easy and gets laughs" and decided "Well fuck yeah I don't have anything clever about them!"

Legit thanks for the heads up though. I'd known he'd veered off into just normal shitty offensive at times but hadn't quite thrown him off the "Well I guess they're not total shits" list.
Damn, I wasn't trying to massage his image, apologies if that came off that way. I didn't know he's still on this shit because I haven't seen anything from him since he pitted black people against queer people when he hosted SNL.
Nah not at all, that wasn't to throw shade out there at either of you. Just to highlight it's not something relegated to a 2014 show. You often see Bill Burr passed around as one of the good ones in threads about Gervais and it confuses me because there's little difference. You can find a number of instances on-stage and off of him going off on how trans women are men. Still using his audience to crow about things that see us denied rights and put in danger. So I'll point it out when it pops up as it's just another log on the fire of male comedians having this weird issue with us.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. I'm not even going to watch that based on the title. So I guess with my first post I'd say he sorta flew towards that point of "Punch down, but don't be a giant POS about it" and the veered off when he saw a sign saying "Well, go ahead and be a giant POS about ______ 'cause it's easy and gets laughs" and decided "Well fuck yeah I don't have anything clever about them!"

Legit thanks for the heads up though. I'd known he'd veered off into just normal shitty offensive at times but hadn't quite thrown him off the "Well I guess they're not total shits" list, which is depressingly short.

I remember Burr being frustratingly obstinate back in the days of Tough Crowd and the like. I think he's somehow managed to maintain an image of being the "equal-opportunity offender" that a lot of controversial comedians WISH they were, which is why his individual shitty takes are harder to track down, but...they're there. They've always been there.

Nah not at all, that wasn't to throw shade out there at either of you. Just to highlight it's not something relegated to a 2014 show. You often see Burr passed around as one of the good ones in threads about Gervais too and it confuses me because as there's little difference. You can span the better part of a decade through to today and still find him going off on how trans women are men. Still using his audience to crow about things that see us denied rights and put in danger. So I'll point it out when it pops up as it reinforces this weird issue that male comedians often seem to have with us.

Yup.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the comedy crowd in general has been getting to point that I can't get with. All the comedians and podcasts I follow or used to follow have catered to their loudest fans and keeps pushing me away. I love Dave but damn.. this is sad to see. Maybe they're just getting older/wealthier and crankier lol.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Also, this type of "humor" has consequences because there's been at least some anecdotal evidence that transphobia is a gateway point into the far-right

www.mediamatters.org

TikTok's algorithm leads users from transphobic videos to far-right rabbit holes

TikTok’s “For You” page (FYP) recommendation algorithm appears to be leading users down far-right rabbit holes. By analyzing and coding over 400 recommended videos after interacting solely with transphobic content, Media Matters traced how TikTok’s recommendation algorithm quickly began...

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Yeh..

From two months ago.

Yeah I remember this, it's a terrible take, but that wasn't from 2 months ago that was like 5-6 years ago. In fact most of the clips posted on youtube are from his older podcasts. I'm not a huge bill burr fan, but I remember that same clip years ago when people were calling him out on it (which of course he kinda blew off).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the comedy crowd in general has been getting to point that I can't get with. All the comedians and podcasts I follow or used to follow have catered to their loudest fans and keeps pushing me away. I love Dave but damn.. this is sad to see. Maybe they're just getting older/wealthier and crankier lol.

A lot of it tends to be the aging dudes. The folks who used to be able to get away with saying controversial shit because the only people who would get mad are soccer moms and grandmas. But eventually those jokes run out of bite, so they need to find new people to snap at, and the new people are A) actually vulnerable communities and B) capable of directly calling them out for their behavior over social media. They aren't used to being held accountable and they get mad about it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Also, this type of "humor" has consequences because there's been at least some anecdotal evidence that transphobia is a gateway point into the far-right

www.mediamatters.org

TikTok's algorithm leads users from transphobic videos to far-right rabbit holes

TikTok’s “For You” page (FYP) recommendation algorithm appears to be leading users down far-right rabbit holes. By analyzing and coding over 400 recommended videos after interacting solely with transphobic content, Media Matters traced how TikTok’s recommendation algorithm quickly began...
It absolutely is. Considering the far-right are actively radicalising people against trans people in the US and the UK. Attempting to not only turn the opinion of the general public against us, but divide us from the rest of the LGBTQ+ community as well.

Yeah I remember this, it's a terrible take, but that wasn't from 2 months ago that was like 5-6 years ago. In fact most of the clips posted on youtube are from his older podcasts. I'm not a huge bill burr fan, but I remember that same clip years ago when people were calling him out on it (which of course he kinda blew off).
That's a fair correction then, I'll amend that line. I remain dubious if there isn't evidence of similar opinions were one to trawl through all of his content between then and now. He's had a number of these takes and their contribution toward transphobic sentiment will have been non-minimal among the audience he has.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair correction then, though I remain dubious if there isn't evidence of similar opinions were one to trawl through all of his content between then and now. He's had a number of these takes and their contribution toward transphobic sentiment will have been non-minimal among the audience he has.

And honestly, there's a difference between "not vocally being a piece of shit" and "actively trying to work against the tide of transphobia", and I haven't seen a lot of evidence Burr falls into the latter category lately.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There's a wealth of good comedy out there that's progressive and "gasp" funny. If all you follow is the mainstream big names then yeah, it's going to be hard for you.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
A lot of it tends to be the aging dudes. The folks who used to be able to get away with saying controversial shit because the only people who would get mad are soccer moms and grandmas. But eventually those jokes run out of bite, so they need to find new people to snap at, and the new people are A) actually vulnerable communities and B) capable of directly calling them out for their behavior over social media. They aren't used to being held accountable and they get mad about it.
The thing is there are plenty of aging dude comedians that don't pull this shit. Their acts actually change over time but we tend to highlight the people who never change for some goddamned reason.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
And honestly, there's a difference between "not vocally being a piece of shit" and "actively trying to work against the tide of transphobia", and I haven't seen a lot of evidence Burr falls into the latter category lately.
Seems he's not too far along from his fascination with us in either case:
"Oh, well, they're gonna do a reboot of Top Gun. Uh, I'm gonna fly… [mumbling] And, uh, the copilot's gonna be transgender. So everybody will be happy. She won't die. Her discarded d!ck will block her head from the canopy. There'll be a gender-neutral bathroom on the plane."
scrapsfromtheloft.com

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger (2019) - Transcript - Scraps from the loft

Read the transcript of "Bill Burr: Paper Tiger" (2019). Only a few weeks after Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones," Netflix releases the long-awaited Bill Burr's 6th stand-up special. Filmed at the Royal Albert Hall in London, "Paper Tiger" crushes, once more, the stupid culture of political...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is there are plenty of aging dude comedians that don't pull this shit. Their acts actually change over time but we tend to highlight the people who never change for some goddamned reason.

We highlight the people who never change because they never shut up. They actively seek people out to remind us of how they refuse to change. Everyone would've been happy to forget Graham Linehan existed after his sitcom went off the air, but he was DESPERATE for attention. Desperate to remind everyone who'll listen how little he values the lives of trans people.

It's the Ricky Gervais effect. These people don't know how to disappear gracefully, so they spend the twilight years of their fading careers screaming into the void, desperate to get a laugh out of anyone.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
That's a fair correction then, I'll amend that line. I remain dubious if there isn't evidence of similar opinions were one to trawl through all of his content between then and now. He's had a number of these takes and their contribution toward transphobic sentiment will have been non-minimal among the audience he has.

Seems he's not too far along from his fascination with us in either case:

scrapsfromtheloft.com

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger (2019) - Transcript - Scraps from the loft

Read the transcript of "Bill Burr: Paper Tiger" (2019). Only a few weeks after Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones," Netflix releases the long-awaited Bill Burr's 6th stand-up special. Filmed at the Royal Albert Hall in London, "Paper Tiger" crushes, once more, the stupid culture of political...
Ugh, I can't defend this. I shouldn't have given him the benefit of doubt. :(

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a comedian all your life, and then one day waking up thinking "yeah, you know what's funny, trying to define gender in a very limited way that makes me look like a hateful asshole."

His takes on racism are always so on point, it's amazing how tone deaf and stupid his takes on trans issues are.

But I guess his reaction is just like how white people react to being called racist. Once someone lower on the ladder calls you out, you clutch your pearls and try to kick them off the ladder.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
The entire special stunk to me
It seems Dave has more of a bone to pick with white members of the LGBTQ community and doesn't get that a minorities are part of the community , struggles of a black man are not minimized or diminished by them even if they're white
The dababy and Kevin hart shit is ridiculous because they were given chances to make it anon issue and not double down and they decided too

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I don't know if anyone else has made this observation but I swear chappelle has really turned into some black version of bill maher. Thinks his shit don't stink and everyone else is the problem; refuses to reflect and grow as a person or comedian; and wants to rely on shit jokes to get a negative reaction.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Dave's brand of black essentialism and masculinity was always gonna have a hard crash against the current zeitgeist. I'm actually surprised he got five specials out of it, must've made Netflix a mint.

I don't see where he can go from here given that most of his recent material is making trans jokes, and making jokes about people's reaction to his trans jokes. And I just don't see his jokes about midwesterners carrying far for him.

Last edited:

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Another Dave Chappelle special I'll be skipping. I just don't find this stuff funny. It honestly just makes my blood boil hearing him say such hateful, ignorant shit.
He should have just stayed a recluse or whatever he was doing before. Talk about a tarnished reputation.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Dave's brand of black essentialism and masculinity was always gonna have a hard crash against the current zeitgeist. I'm actually surprised he got five specials out of it, must've made Netflix a mint.

I don't see where he can go from here given that most of his recent material is making trans jokes, and making jokes about people's reaction to his trans jokes.
He can go anywhere he wants because people love him and he has a free pass so long as he doesn't get roped into a me too incident. The thing is even if you take out the troubling transgender thoughts his comedy still sucks. It is self centered in a way that removes validity from a lot of what he speaks about. His sketch stuff was good but his stand-up has always sucked.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see where he can go from here given that most of his recent material is making trans jokes, and making jokes about people's reaction to his trans jokes.
Exactly. Reading through the quotes here and in that Vulture article, I can't help but feel like he's trapped inside of a feedback loop of his own design.
bo-burnham-screening-inside-unpaid-intern-reaction-video.jpg

It's no surprise at this point that Chappelle's views on this subject are shit, but this thread has been a pleasant surprise (especially after the threads related to his previous special). I hope this is how Era handles celebrities of this nature in the future.

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I'm not going to watch it but I just can't believe the gall of this fucking guy. It's sad but he's irredeemable to me at this point.

Off topic but I happened to see Damon Wayons last night (I wasn't there for him at all), and while I know he's been an asshole for many years now, his set was just awful.

Whined about cancel culture, talked about how important it is to bully everyone when you're younger to toughen them up (specifically made fun of someone with a brain injury who uncontrollably shook), made fun of and mimicked people from the special Olympics. Called them r——ds who "thought they were real olympians". Then he called us a bad crowd for not laughing at all his shitty childish jokes. He ended his set abruptly when he realized he had less than half the room.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's so disappointing. Dude was at the top of his game but he seems to have just snapped and can't let fucking go if his TERF-ass transphobia. Why in the hell he's decided that this is the hill he's going to die on is beyond me.

Also, I can't help but roll my eyes at the fact that Chappelle still to this day wants credit for turning down millions to keep the Chappelle Show going like it happened yesterday. Especially because in most (all?) of his Netflix specials, he repeatedly brings up just how rich he is and how most of his friends are celebrities. Not to mention his deal with Netflix was supposedly worth north of $60 million.

This is like when Bono talked about helping the poor and homeless but then proceeded to live in a fucking castle.

It's like, dude, you still sold out to the monster of American capitalism in the end and you want kudos for...what? Not doing it 17 years earlier?

As the kids say, weird flex but okay.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
People who are famous enough to give their shitty opinion to millions of people at once play the victim when they get millions of opinions back.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
From where I sit, the thing a lot of people need to realize about Dave Chapelle is that the only thing special about him, the only thing, is that he watered down traditional Black comedy enough to be palatable to white people.

I will never understand it (I do, but that's for another thread), why white people love this man so much.

But when you've grown up as a Black Queer person, you know...this particular erasure he employs on Black Queer people (particularly Black Trans people) is intentional, and it is the point.

When he says, "stop punching down on my community," which is something he's been saying for years now, he wants you to buy into his framework that Queerness/Transness, and the pursuit of liberation for LGBTQIA+ in general, is inherently anti-Black. In order for that to work, he can't acknowledge that his own people, by our own birth, can be Queer/Trans. That's gotta get swept under the rug. It's another ploy of the white devil.

(And to be clear, there are some prominent white patriarchal forces within these Queer movements that desperately want these movements to be anti-Black, but that too is for another thread. Y'all ain't ready.)

This framework that he engages through is intentional. It's not an accident. Dave Chapelle knows Black Queer people exist, he knows how he's erasing us in his arguments. But unless Black Queer people are bolstering his arguments, the reality of Black Queer and Trans people specifically is not the reality he wants to weave.

And if you've grown up Black and Queer, you know why. Because he's a hotep. Plain and simple. He's always been a hotep. I'm so sorry to break it to y'all. This is hotepery of the highest degree. There must have been a disturbance in the Game of Hotep because he's now making a play for the iron throne.

And the only thing I can ask, is that a lot of y'all stop engaging in this debate on his terms. Dave Chapelle wants you to forget that Black Queer people exist.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Do you listen to many women who do stand-up?

I haven't watched any stand up in a long time but over the past couple weeks I've been consuming pretty much every comedy special by women on Netflix and I've highly enjoyed almost all of them. Tons of progressive jokes and specific call outs of support for trans and other marginalized people and/or scathing jokes about rightwing shitheads in the majority of them. Plus fun sex jokes. Definitely stuff I can "get with" and I highly recommend it all.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
From where I sit, the thing a lot of people need to realize about Dave Chapelle is that the only thing special about him, the only thing, is that he watered down traditional Black comedy enough to be palatable to white people.

I will never understand it (I do, but that's for another thread), why white people love this man so much.

But when you've grown up as a Black Queer person, you know...this particular erasure he employs on Black Queer people (particularly Black Trans people) is intentional, and it is the point.

When he says, "stop punching down on my community," which is something he's been saying for years now, he wants you to buy into his framework that Queerness/Transness, and the pursuit of liberation for LGBTQIA+ in general, is inherently anti-Black. In order for that to work, he can't acknowledge that his own people, by our own birth, can be Queer/Trans. That's gotta get swept under the rug. It's another ploy of the white devil.

(And to be clear, there are some prominent white patriarchal forces within these Queer movements that desperately want these movements to be anti-Black, but that too is for another thread. Y'all ain't ready.)

This framework that he engages through is intentional. It's not an accident. Dave Chapelle knows Black Queer people exist, he knows how he's erasing us in his arguments. But unless Black Queer people are bolstering his arguments, the reality of Black Queer and Trans people specifically is not the reality he wants to weave.

And if you've grown up Black and Queer, you know why. Because he's a hotep. Plain and simple. He's always been a hotep. I'm so sorry to break it to y'all. This is hotepery of the highest degree. There must have been a disturbance in the Game of Hotep because he's now making a play for the iron throne.

And the only thing I can ask, is that a lot of y'all stop engaging in this debate on his terms. Dave Chapelle wants you to forget that Black Queer people exist.
Thank you for this, puts some stuff into perspective.

Oct 25, 2017

mmm

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is smartly said.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
doesn't surprise me, been at this for years

it's been frustrating having this come up again and again round here. like in the past reading that people who have a problem with him just "don't understand comedy" or whatever, maybe it's settled now

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

Insightful.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, Chappelle is someone who I've lost significant respect for since seeing that special he did a couple of years ago. It's baffling how he can still be so sharp when it comes to certain topics, yet so fucking moronic when it comes to others. And besides the transphobic stuff, his constant refrain of "Men are being unfairly persecuted!" while continuing to be platformed, paid well, and largely respected among other comedians was ironic to say the least.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Okay seriously what in the living fuck is up with Gen X comedians and transphobia? Like they're all cool with Ls, Gs and Bs but suddenly have a collective fucking aneurysm over the idea of the treating Ts with equal decency and respect.

At this point if you're a male comedian over the age of 40 I'm just gonna assume you don't have the most enlightened views on trans people.
Mainstream trans acceptance has really only become a thing in the last decade or so, if we're honest. So it's not surprising that older people have a harder time accepting it. Trans people were invisible at best and punching bags at worst in our culture for a long, long time, and it's only slowly started to change. People like Dave make it slower still.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Royalan covers it pretty well. I think there's a semblance of an argument in what Chappelle says, but it requires you to think that the only queer people and queer movements are white queer people and white queer movements.

That and he also clearly misunderstands a ton about sex & gender in general. Not much more to add.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA

Ya his entire premise starting from DaBaby to Daphne is predicated on the exclusion of Trans Black people as the community that is at most risk for risk/mortality.

I watched the whole special, it was rarely funny, and it wasn't an attempt to be funny, but to defend and excuse himself for a trash turn and disconnect from humanity. He can't be done with a community if he relies on an anecdote and doesn't even understand the community he is speaking to.

Patrice O'Neal is funnier anyway, had similar takes and died over 10 years ago. Fuck Chapelle and his soapbox specials.

May 18, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Justifying transphobia, account in junior phase
I just watched the special, those hating on it for him saying he's TERF, really did not watch it or have a hard time with others having differing opinions and thoughts. It was a great special, with an awesome heartfelt story towards the end about a transgendered friend of his. If you haven't watched it and judge him off of offhand remarks from others, congrats on letting others construct your opinions for you. If you watched it and are offended, you have that right, but missed the point of what his message was about.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I don't understand why he still struggles with what people are trying to tell him. I feel like it's something he might get eventually, but right now it always feels like a 1 step forward 2 steps back on this.

a his entire premise starting from DaBaby to Daphne is predicated on the exclusion of Trans Black people as the community that is at most risk for risk/mortality.

Fucking this man. Black folks are a part of those communities too, and he tries to like side step it by like sliding in the "two buff black gay" dudes to discredit the daughter's rant at the club as if the only way to frame it is "black vs transgender" and in dababy's case "black vs lgbtq".

May 26, 2018

Great post. And can I just say--

Hit me the fuck up at any time? I'd read a whole book.