• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Dave has an issue or a bone to pick with white lgbtq people in particular in the special , he beleives that even tho they're minorities that they still exercise and wield whiteness as a weapon against other minorities and especially black folk at times
Unfortunately he's not the person to deliver that message; this controversy only made me wish for Black queer comedians to get that spotlight

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Unfortunately he's not the person to deliver that message; this controversy only made me wish for Black queer comedians to get that spotlight
somewhat agree but he could if he was more poignant and not using it as a crutch for his transphobia , he's also using his friendship as a shield which is wrong

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Dave has an issue or a bone to pick with white lgbtq people in particular in the special , he beleives that even tho they're minorities that they still exercise and wield whiteness as a weapon against other minorities and especially black folk at times

I mean whiteness transcends all so he's not 'wrong' in that case; shieet…in NYC I can think of a black gay bar institution that got harassed out of existence by rich white gay men who didn't want the middle class/workinng class clientele it attracted (they served great fried chicken so you could always hop in at unusual hours and get a cheap meal and drink).

But he's not one to make the argument. Particularly since he uses trans people as the counter point. Particularly how black trans get treated like subhumans. Which brings me to why I think this is pure homophobia and hate as opposed to rich guy ignorance: Chapelle is a man who by trade has been in nightlife all his life: he earns his trade by talking to a group of weirdos and strangers at 2am in a big city. Considering club managers, bartenders, etc…tend to be friendly to marginalized folks since they are hard and quirky jobs, Its telling his one trans 'friend' is a white woman.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not to mention the fact that he aligns himself to a rich white woman solely because of her views on trans people.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
He spends a bunch of the time seemingly being glib about 15 years olds being treated as kids and assigns them a huge amount of responsibility, but then uses that discomfort to turn around and point out how we're already doing that to segments of society. That's what earns him the praise. He isn't just drawing off of sensitive topics, which is easy, he's diving into them while giving them the severity they deserve, which is hard. He's taken on the risk of handling this topic.
Dave Chappelle like many "great" comedians takes massive creative licenses with his jokes in order to make it work. As a black person, it is almost comforting to watch a comedian with the massive reach and platform Dave has, talk about racial injustice and black issues but, upon reflecting on the jokes if you look past the flowery presentation, it really really sucks that we as a society, unfortunately as comedians have become celebrities and as a culture that adores celebrity, we take comedians as truth sayers but also excuse it as "just jokes"? Are they telling the truth or are they just telling jokes to make us laugh and feel "good". The irony is not lost on me that while they are intending to make an audience laugh and feel good, they are also making another audience of people feel hurt.

Let's use that famous special and bit in particular, "How old is 15 really?" Just like with his Transphobic material, he frames it as a racial injustice issue, which taps into our sense of justice and allows us not to scrutinize what he is saying too deeply. I am guilty of it.

Dave in that special paints 15-year-old Elizabeth Smart as a dumb white girl who was kidnapped and taken to a place not too far from her home. He says she was not tied up and was left alone and she could have run home at any time. Juxtaposed against a resourceful 7-year-old black girl that was kidnapped by a couple of crackheads who tied her up and left her alone so she chewed through the rope and was home a few hours later.

What Dave omits is that Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped from her home. She woke up to a man and woman standing over her with a knife pressed against her neck. Her younger sister was asleep in the same room and she chose to comply and go with her captors because she did not want them to take her younger sister. Her captors were religious fanatics who according to her intended to kidnap 7 girls but failed. She was taken from Utah to California, she was chained and raped multiple times. She managed to convince her captors to come back to Utah which is when she was spotted by some people who called the Police and led to her rescue. You can also assume that he also took massive creative license with the young black boy that was just practicing wrestling moves.

The jokes don't work if he tells the truth of the situation, but when cloaked in a veneer of racial injustice makes it a "profound critic of society". I have supported Dave Chappelle in the past. Not anymore.

Last edited:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm seeing people on social media in all seriousness refer to Dave as a "scientist and activist" due purely to his transphobic statements, and its caused my eyes to roll so far into the back of my head I'm afraid they might have become permenantly lodged there.

Oct 26, 2017
Jon Stewart says Dave Chappelle Netflix controversy a result of 'miscommunication,' comic 'not a hurtful guy

Asked if he felt it was a promising idea for Chappelle to agree to a sit-down with enraged Netflix employees, Stewart said why not if it leads to open dialogue between the funnyman and those who felt slighted by Chappelle's jokes.

"Look, if this spurs a conversation where people get more on the same page in terms of understanding that'd be great but I know his intention is never hurtful – like, he's just not that kind of person," Stewart explained in his defense of the "Sticks and Stones" orator, 48.

"And if it is [hurtful], it's certainly unintentional," Stewart pressed. "He's really – he's a good man."

Old comics just can't help but stand up for Dave.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No comedian will ever say a bad word about Dave Chapelle. You can go ahead and cancel all comedians right now, because none of them are going to do that.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No comedian will ever say a bad word about Dave Chapelle. You can go ahead and cancel all comedians right now, because none of them are going to do that.
It's easier for them to just say nothing, and if they do that I'm not going to ignore them afterwards. But if they come out in support, I have no interest in ever supporting them again.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
how can these old comics not separate the person from the words?

They all go to bat for him, but saying things like he is a good man, he is my friend and not transphobic, etc. And then dave actually says transphobic shit in his special.

I dont know if they mean what he said was not transphobic, or that what he said was, but he was joking. That seemed to be rogan's point. But all this failure in communication steward seems to use as an excuse, if it was that, that's Dave's fault. To just say all that and not contextualize properly, is just being transphobic.
Which I think its the case. He is transphobic, and wants to make the case as to why, then cry out " comedy is sacrosaint" when the consequences hit.
I wish steward at least stayed out of it, or tried to understand more before talking. or any other comedian for that matter.

I saw the joe rogan clip about it, and him and this other guy were saying things like "Dave is such a legend critics need to get him down to their level to destroy him" or some bullshit, and saying what he said was not transphobic, without once deep diving into what was actually said and why were they saying it was not transphobic. it was ridiculous.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

To be fair to Jon, he does say Chapelle should sit down with upset employees and talk.

If Chapelle truly is a good man, and if he honestly wants to laugh with rather than at us who have gone through gender dysphoria, sitting down and listening would be a good first step.

Until that happens though, this remains a popular comedian using his position of power to punch down upon a marginalised community. So my mind won't be changed by a reassurance that "really he is a good man who meant no harm."

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I'm sure the blatant transphobia was 'unintentional'

Give me a break.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
He's a rich, out of touch asshole who's become a conservative darling. But yeah, a nice guy. I'm sure he has plenty of interest in talking to trans Netflix employees.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard for someone to believe that a person can be mostly chill and nice, while also being an awful transphobe. Especially when the evidence is so abundantly clear. This isn't hear say, this is multiple big budget, rehearsed comedy specials that he could just go and watch if he had any doubts.

Disappointed in you Jon.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I fail to understand why we should give a pass to people who are hurtful out of ignorance. It reduces the actual number of people that should behave better but it doesn't reduce the number of people who get hurt.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

They could just keep their mouths shut about it, but understanding when it's not their place to speak really isn't something comedians seem capable of at all.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dave Chappelle like many "great" comedians takes massive creative licenses with his jokes in order to make it work. As a black person, it is almost comforting to watch a comedian with the massive reach and platform Dave has, talk about racial injustice and black issues but, upon reflecting on the jokes if you look past the flowery presentation, it really really sucks that we as a society, unfortunately as comedians have become celebrities and as a culture that adores celebrity, we take comedians as truth sayers but also excuse it as "just jokes"? Are they telling the truth or are they just telling jokes to make us laugh and feel "good". The irony is not lost on me that while they are intending to make an audience laugh and feel good, they are also making another audience of people feel hurt.

Let's use that famous special and bit in particular, "How old is 15 really?" Just like with his Transphobic material, he frames it as a racial injustice issue, which taps into our sense of justice and allows us not to scrutinize what he is saying too deeply. I am guilty of it.

Dave in that special paints 15-year-old Elizabeth Smart as a dumb white girl who was kidnapped and taken to a place not too far from her home. He says she was not tied up and was left alone and she could have run home at any time. Juxtaposed against a resourceful 7-year-old black girl that was kidnapped by a couple of crackheads who tied her up and left her alone so she chewed through the rope and was home a few hours later.

What Dave omits is that Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped from her home. She woke up to a man and woman standing over her with a knife pressed against her neck. Her younger sister was asleep in the same room and she chose to comply and go with her captors because she did not want them to take her younger sister. Her captors were religious fanatics who according to her intended to kidnap 7 girls but failed. She was taken from Utah to California, she was chained and raped multiple times. She managed to convince her captors to come back to Utah which is when she was spotted by some people who called the Police and led to her rescue. You can also assume that he also took massive creative license with the young black boy that was just practicing wrestling moves.

The jokes don't work if he tells the truth of the situation, but when cloaked in a veneer of racial injustice makes it a "profound critic of society". I have supported Dave Chappelle in the past. Not anymore.
Fucking hell...

I had only seen that joke once or twice and I'm from the UK so I never heard about that case before. The facts though paint an entirely different picture though and the fact he omitted them to make his joke is really fucking disgusting.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
The poster said comedians, and Desus and Mero are definitely comedians.

Not to mention their late night show has celebrity guests all the time, they definitely have something to lose.

My point is the biggest blowback Desus and Mero could potentially get is that comedians stop coming on their show. Most celebrities aren't going to decline the show because Desus and Mero said mean things about Dave Chappelle; they have shit to promote. Showtime will still support them, they'll still have their podcast, and they'll probably still go on tour, separate from any comedy venues.

Basically, they'll still have all their revenue streams, unlike most stand-up comedians, who just have stand up. Any serious dissent will easily get them blackballed by those in the comedy sphere and resultingly blocked from further opportunities in entertainment.

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Stewart told a black man to shut up when he called him out for doing a stereotype black voice. He sucks way to hard to be on a pedestal
you know even now he's never actually apologized for that. he got asked about it not long ago and without even mentioning the dude's name he said something along the lines of "what i was doing was too important for someone to get in my way"

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I believe that Jon believes that.

I don't believe either them understand or are willing to acknowledge the amount of harm that words like Chappelle's can bring to the trans community.

It's sad because I remember many years ago watching Inside the Actor's Studio and Chappelle said, and I paraphrase, that one of the worst things was to call someone was crazy. It's dismissive.

I remember that well because it was a powerful statement, one I agree with. and yet here he is, doing the same, to an entire community of people but in a much worse way. Dismissing what they are and who they are and ignoring the harm those words can inflict and the pain that community goes through.

I continue to be immensely disappointed by this whole ordeal and those who try to associate with, or defend, Chappelle during this time. He needs to work this out himself, not his friends.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

I saw this and thought "wow a Bobcat quote that isn't about his obsession with Howard Stern" and was immediately proven wrong. I like Bobcat a lot but he has been absolutely fixated on Howard for two decades running. It's really weird.

He's right though. He's 100% right. "Cancel Culture" whining is just someone asking for permission to continue attacking marginalized groups and apply that same "marginalized" status to themselves. "See? I'M the real victim here!".

And Patton continues to not disappoint me on these matters.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I got mad at Stewart when I saw the headline, immediately got me to read it. After reading the full story, Stewart isn't defending Chappelle's comments at all. He's saying that he knew Dave for many years and believes in his heart that he's not a malicious person and wants to think that he miscommunicated.

But he's wrong.

I'm not even sure I agree with Stewart saying that maybe Dave should be willing to sit down and listen to the people he's hurt because I don't trust that it would be any kind of meaningful or genuine interaction. I think Chapelle has demonstrated that he does not give a fuck. And he has no current incentive to actually listen.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
sigh

This ain't it, Dave.

"The tour will feature a screening of "Untitled" as well as a live performance by Chappelle and his friends. Chappelle has worked in stand-up comedy, writing, producing and acting. The comedian was awarded the prestigious Mark Twain Prize for American Humor from the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in 2019. The "Untitled" documentary features Chappelle as he performed a socially distant live comedy show in his Ohio hometown during the COVID-19 pandemic."

Oct 27, 2017
Saw that Amy Sedaris liked the IG clip. That's pretty disappointing.

Also, Dave can fuck right off with making SF the kickoff (and tellingly ONLY west coast stop) for this tour. I hope that activists don't give him the reaction he's hoping for.

Last edited: