• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Wanna know another game we were designing at Bartlet Jones? In essence: Twisted Metal with Superheros. Once we discovered Marvel was making The Avengers we were like, 'Nah, they'll have a battle mode' so we killed it. Still- it was fun to work on. Here's art! :)

DYHpJZsVAAAQJgJ.jpg

DYHpaepUMAANCSt.jpg

DYHqhonVAAEIa8k.jpg

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Aw man these sketches look really cool. I'm imaging something like the canceled EA Chicago Marvel 3rd person fighter

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wanna know another game we were designing at Bartlet Jones? In essence: Twisted Metal with Superheros. Once we discovered Marvel was making The Avengers we were like, 'Nah, they'll have a battle mode' so we killed it. Still- it was fun to work on. Here's art! :)

This seems like baffling business sense at best. Wouldn't you want to cash in on the super hero trend?

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
David's YT page has a bunch of cool pitch videos for Drawn to Death, Twisted Metal and a project they were to work on.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Can someone explain what "Twisted Metal" is when used as a genre descriptor?
Is there a discernible difference from "superhero arena battler"?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Man this dude has so much charisma, but i can't help but feel like he's so anachronistic these days. Such a weird feeling.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I just don't think that concept would have resonated or gone anywhere. Good decision to cancel it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Looks a lot like his other superhero game with all the demons and stuff, and if he was considering pitching any of this to Sony its alarming nobody reminded him "You realise they made Infamous already, right?"

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The art looks great excpet the blood IMO, not something i looking for in a superheroes game.

The polygonal kind of concept art looks really interesting though.

Oct 27, 2017
Beat them to market then?

Have you seen Drawn To Death? The visuals? The content? The netcode? What do you think is the best case scenario for their take on the MOBA with flying/verticality?

A small studio should not be going against MOBAs, Diablo or Superhero IPs. They should have figured out a game which was suitable for their studio capabilities.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this came before or after DtD. That game was also essentially a character action TM so they could have shared a lot of DNA.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen Drawn To Death? The visuals? The content? The netcode? What do you think is the best case scenario for their take on the MOBA with flying/verticality?

A small studio should not be going against MOBAs, Diablo or Superhero IPs. They should have figured out a game which was suitable for their studio capabilities.
None of that is reason enough to abandon the concept just because it's superheroes. Should no one make a superhero themed game ever again because a Marvel game is being made? No, that would be stupid

Oct 27, 2017
None of that is reason enough to abandon the concept just because it's superheroes. Should no one make a superhero themed game ever again because a Marvel game is being made? No, that would be stupid

Those are good reasons to abandon a superhero MOBA with flying concept because:
• Your studio cannot compete with other games in the quality side if we look at Drawn To Death.
• Your studio is making a game which is going to compete with other MOBA games for the spot in the graveyard
• You have no IP to work with, which makes it much harder to market, and creates a ton of concept/character building. When people remember Lawbreakers, everyone always contrasts the characters/world of that game with successful ones like Overwatch. Turns out that it is actually hard and expensive to build appealing characters.

And when I say a graveyard, I mean the ever growing pit of unsuccessful MOBA games like Infinite Crisis, Paragon, Breakaway or Gigantic.

Both Marvel and DC had unsuccessful super-hero games. Even with marketing, budget and IP there is no guarantee for success when it comes to online PC games. Studios should evaluate their own capabilities before embarking on competing with both MOBAs and successful superhero IPs at the same time.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
• Your studio cannot compete with other games in the quality side if we look at Drawn To Death.
• Your studio is making a game which is going to compete with other MOBA games for the spot in the graveyard
• You have no IP to work with, which makes it much harder to market, and creates a ton of concept/character building. When people remember Lawbreakers, everyone always contrasts the characters/world of that game with successful ones like Overwatch. Turns out that it is actually hard and expensive to build appealing characters.

And when I say a graveyard, I mean the ever growing pit of unsuccessful MOBA games like Infinite Crisis, Paragon, Breakaway or Gigantic.

Both Marvel and DC had unsuccessful super-hero games. Even with marketing, budget and IP there is no guarantee for success when it comes to online PC games. Studios should evaluate their own capabilities before embarking on competing with both MOBAs and successful superhero IPs at the same time.
While I agree that there is no evidence that this game would have turned out any better than Drawn to Death, I'm not sure you should lump it in with failed MOBA projects. In another tweet Jaffe mentions that Gundam Vs. was one of the inspirations for this game, so it was probably closer to an Arena Fighter than a MOBA.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell what exactly the game concept was, but superheroes vs. supervillains battling over the health of a city seems cool as hell.

I can imagine how it would work as a game like Twisted Metal PS3.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea it was a MOBA. Seems like it was way more similar to arena fighters or third person action games.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's he doing these days anyways? Last I remember was some indie mp thing that people here hated.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the man due to fond childhood memories of Twisted Metal, but yeah honestly it's been a while since I can remember playing a game he was involved with.