• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Very occasionally I'll have day drinking days, normally on a do-nothing holiday like 4th of July last year (since it was a Wednesday and I had better things to burn vacation days on than to chain that to a weekend). The key is to not just let it be a thing that you do when you're bored, for me it's a special occasion for a total relaxation day.

My day drinking drink of choice is Scotch, though.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I grab a beer or three with lunch with coworkers all the time and then head back to the office. It's nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
having 1-3 beers throughout the day isn't such a big deal

maybe you're working outside in the sun - have a beer
maybe you're eating lunch at a nice restaurant - have a beer
maybe you're watching the football game in the afternoon - have a beer

it becomes a problem when you're downing vodka shots at 10 AM

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017

This is where I was at the end except it was between 7 and 9 am depending when i was at work till whenever I blacked out for the day.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As long as you dont make it an habit and know when to stop its ok. I do it sometimes and I havent turned into an alcoholic.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun but it's a slippery slope famalam. Day drinking has its sequel in night drinking and before you know it you're on hour # 8.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a football fan so I day drink all the time because some games start at 1pm already.
It's always a great time

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
UK here and it's just a standard thing at the weekend for a lot of people. Nothing wrong with a couple of cheeky drinks whilst you're out and about. Hell, people over here often go out on a full day sesh for 12 hours or more and it's considered pretty normal. I don't do it myself very often now I'm in my 40's but there's no real stigma about it over here as long as you're not getting shit faced every time.

One thing I won't do though is drink in the airport at 7am because I'm "on holiday", that's just rank to me!

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Going to the pub on Saturday and Sunday during daytime is a fairly standard social activity in Britain (and Ireland).
It only tailed off for me and my mates as we moved into our 30 and had kids.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Daydrinking is pretty awesome. Having some pints in the sunshine on a nice Saturday or Sunday is one of my favorite weekend activities, especially now that I have a kid. It's so much harder to get out with friends at night (what with needing a babysitter and all) so we end up meeting people for drinks during the day instead.

I also think there's no problem with daydrinking just like there is no problem with nightdrinking - moderation is key and of course don't drive. If it impacts work/social relationships/health then you've got a problem, regardless of whether it's day or night.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Mods. Seriously. We shouldn't post pics of someone else without their consent.

On topic, day drinking is fine on rare occasions. Like when you're on vacation.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Pretty much this. When the weather's nice I like to wander around the city alone and check out the various pubs that have lunch specials. If I wind up at a place that has interesting beers? I'll have one. Nothing wrong with it and I've never gotten any strange looks or anything, lol.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want! Any cookies!
I have found your true identity.
tt-cookie-monster-hed-2013_0.jpg

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll have a beer or vodka sofa during the day if I'm out with friends and it's not a work day or if I'm knocking off work early.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Get the bloody mary out of here. You down south need to embrace the infinitely superior Caesar. Blood Mary's should not even exist anymore.
Hell yeah, Caesars! They're better with whiskey than vodka imo, the smokey flavour is great with the tabasco/worchestire sauce.

But yeah, day drinking is a drink on a nice day/at an event/brunch/lunch. Cottages don't count.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Haircut day for me and I can't sit in that barber's chair sober so I started on the Port half hour ago. At least it's gone midday so no too bad, but I can see myself hitting the cocktail bar very shortly for some Long Islands. šŸ™„

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah? I mean this is common like drinking water in Germany. I mean we even have a beer or two during our lunch break here (although not so commonly in winter) then head back to the office. In summer we go to beer gardens all the time lol. What's wrong with drinking in the day? I guess if the only reason you drink is to get completely drunk, but that seems like a really shitty drinking culture and lack of good alcohol.

This is the first I have heard of only drinking alcohol at night, is this really a thing in some cultures?

Yep, german here myself, can confirm this 100% There's even "FrĆ¼hschoppen" here on special occasions which means getting toghether and drinking in the morning. Socially completely acceptable here. Alcohol is completely ingrained in german culture though.

But on Topic, do it OP! I got a baby boy and got my wife to agree to a "game day" so I have the right to a day once a month (provided I put it in our calendar early enough and there aren't conflicting appointments), where she'll take the little fella to her parents and lets me play videogames all day. I heavily day drink on those days alone at home and have junk food. I absolutely love these days! One is coming up on friday, Metro/Far Cry/Crackdonw, here I come ;)

She has the same privilege though of course, where I take care of him and she can do whatever she wants, before anyone asks ;)

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally fine. I think if your drinking is going to escalate into a problem the time of day isn't what is going to cause it. As long as you're not doing it when the situation is inappropriate or you are ignoring or impeding your responsibilities. I obviously don't drink during the day on work days, but on the weekend, if we go out for lunch, I'll probably have a beer or two. In the summer, a cool beer on a warm afternoon is nice. I don't get hammered or anything, that kinda ruins the evening.

Having a drink during the day now and then is ok, as long as you don't need three drinks just to get through the day. Drinking alone certainly is a red flag though.

I never got this line of thought. Drinking is the only activity people apply this logic to (well, I guess going to the movies alone also has a stigma, which makes even less sense).

I mean, if I want to sit out on my deck on a nice Sunday afternoon and enjoy the nice weather with a couple beers, that's a problem? All the people that got shit-faced on Saturday night with a group of friends are still recovering from their hangovers, but at least they weren't drinking alone?

Not that I'm always drinking alone, but if you think logically about it, having a few beers at home by myself means I'm not getting in a car. And, most of the time you hear about people getting into trouble after drinking, it was part of a group of people who just kept encouraging each other to get more drunk.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I use to work third shift and after work me and coworkers would be restaurants 11am doing shots of Everclear and Barcardi 151

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I only daydrink when it's mid summer and it's hot outside, laying back in the backyard with a beer and a book in the weekends or when I have vacation. Otherwise I don't have the need for a beer.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, day drinking is great. One of my favorite days of the year is the first Friday of March Madness, usually the second or third Friday of March. I take the day off, head out to a bar and watch basketball all day with my mates. This year might be different, I have a feeling my wife won't be enthused being on baby duty exclusively on a Friday night, so I'll have to moderate.

These days, I probably day drink more than night drink because we've got a baby, so we're usually at home by ~830PM or so, putting baby to sleep. So, if we've got plans involving drinking... Like going to a brewery or meeting up with friends, it's usually middle of the day, early afternoon.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe socially during special occasions, but as a regular part of your routine? Eh. I wouldn't fuck with that.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is absolutely nothing intrinsic to night time or day time that makes one or the other less or more susceptible to abuse of substances. Drink responsibly regardless of the time of day and nothing else matters.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm generally not a big fan of it. I've seen what can happen.

Like 1 drink every once in awhile isn't so bad. But beyond that I really advise caution.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I usually do when I go to the beach/pool since it's summer here now or when I go back to my hometown and meet up with my neighbors, we start drinking from like 3 pm or something until 10 pm or so.