• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I will preface this by saying the first five ish hours are so much worse than the rest of the game I almost gave up. You start off with terrible weapons that feel like you're blasting spitballs at enemies and the introductory story is extremely dull.

And then the map doubles in size. You start to meet interesting characters. The world and infection story evolve into something genuinely intriguing. Fighting hordes with decent weapons and craftables is so much fun.

It's by no means a perfect game.. there's a few irritating mechanics and good voice acting can't save some really badly written dialogue. But overall this is way better than I expected.

This is one of the rare games where the user metacritic is much higher than the critics, so it appears I'm not the only one. The game also has 5.5% rate for the platinum trophy which is incredibly high for such a long game.

What did you think about days gone? I played it long after the final patch so I can't say what it was like at release. It seems very likely we're going to get a sequel. Are you hyped for days gone 2?

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Facts. Played it to 100% and loved it. Super glad Bend likely gets a shot at a sequel on PS5.

Enjoyed the cast for the most part, felt driven to progress through the story and man - strategizing how to tackle the larger hordes was a blast.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Totally agree, I happily platinumed it.

They really nailed a unique atmosphere for their part of the country. Like it "felt" authentic, especially in the rainy forest.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I picked it up on sale a few weeks back and fell super in love with it. The story, at least to me, was gripping and a fun ride with twists and turns I didn't expect. I was genuinely shocked with how bummed I was upon finishing it.

Idk if we have any sort of confirmation yet about a sequel but I think that with the foundation Bend has built there's a shitload of potential for more entries in this series.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is an interesting case where fans generally don't really disagree with the criticisms (Pacing, technical issues, slow start, etc.) but find a LOT to like in other aspects of the game: The bike feels good, upgrades make a noticeable difference, it has some great characters, combat and crafting only get better as the games goes on, hordes are genuinely thrilling, etc.

I personally can't wait for the sequel! It's probably in my top 3 Sony games of the generation.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went into it not expecting much and it blew me away. One of my favourite PS4 exclusives this gen. And this is coming from someone who played it at launch, before it became optimized.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It seems that initial release left a bad impression.

It's come a long ways since then, due to all the patching~

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually like mounts in open world games, but I'll be damned if I wasnt attached to that bike by the end, we'd been through some shit together.

DG had such a great mix of light survival and tension in the openworld.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I will preface this by saying the first five ish hours are so much worse than the rest of the game I almost gave up. You start off with terrible weapons that feel like you're blasting spitballs at enemies and the introductory story is extremely dull.
This is literally what I say every time people ask if Days Gone is worth it on sale. It's literally that beginning 5 hours that sucks and the end of the game because a bit of a fetch game until a certain point, then it goes back to being good. It's the opening point that is so hard to get through but once you do, it becomes something really interesting and it becomes a good experience.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Outside of some pacing issues and Deacon coming across as an unlikeable asshole for the first third of the game, it was pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it from the first few minutes and continued loving it until the platinum trophy popped up many, many hours later.

Some well documented flaws of course, but it remains vastly more than the sum of its parts. I was genuinely baffled by the cries of 'generic' prior to release too, it seemed to generate a lot of hate.

It's genuinely one of my favourite games. Imagine the sequel on PS5, awww yeah.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Yup! It's an amazing game, and my friends slept on it. It's so cool that the state I live in made this game, too.

Really enjoyed it, especially the motorcycle and the environment. Seeing Three Fingered Jack and Crater Lake was so cool as an Oregonian.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
I think the 7/10 ratings it usually gets are fair, but I genuinely had a good time with this game once it got going, and I would recommend it because I think it's more fun than I think it's been giving credit for, and though it's been months since I beat the game, I still sometimes randomly recall fond memories of it. It was a good game. I look forward to the sequel, I think it's going to be so much better than a lot of people may anticipate from Bend Studio.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I thought the game was impressive visually and I really tried to like it but everything in the game just felt like a chore to me. I will admit that I didn't have much interest in it beforehand and only played around 8 hours or so before I dropped it but really did not enjoy my time with it at all. I may jump back in at some point and try again but I have played my fill for a while...

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
It's really good. A little bit too long for my taste, but truly a really good experience.

I only played recently btw. The state of the game at launch was surely very different.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah...so...it's pretty spot-on what you wrote.

Beginning is slow, makes you want to stop, then it opens up and becomes fantastic. Just takes too long and would turn folks off.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The game does start super slow, but feels better once it opens up.

Oct 27, 2017
It sure is. I was in love right from the start but I get why people might not like the first few hours.

I can't wait for the sequel. If it is on unreal engine 5 then it will blow minds.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and I was ready to write it off in the opening 5-6 hours but it keeps getting better.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
One of those games that gets bad critics because reasons when is actually very good.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's not some unsung masterpiece or anything, but it's a pretty well-designed and fun open world action game. In terms of overall quality I'd place it alongside Avalanche's Mad Max game or the better Just Cause games. It's a rock-solid 7.5/10 to me.

That said, Sam Witwer's voice acting is borderline atrocious half the time. I have no idea what the hell he was going for with his line deliveries.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I was hooked from start to finish and didn't even put it down once the story was done. It became one of my increasingly rare platinum trophies and even after that I kept going until I had taken down every single horde and had the secret ending. I'm not going to disagree if someone says there are some flaws in the presentation of the narrative, that it is maybe too long or that there is a bit of open world busy work but I think it's all well designed and fun. Riding Deek's bike is a whole lot more fun than most open world traversal too.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
One of my top gaming experiences this generation. So bloody good, and the post-launch support has been second to none.

They nailed the Oregon atmosphere to a T. I can't wait for the sequel.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's definitely not bad, solid 7.5 for me, just really was way to long. Definitely look forward to a sequel. Not everything has to be a 10.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what made me quit after a pretty short time with the game was the 100% cringe terribly forced unrealistic graffiti writings like "cancelled forever!" on the church sign, there's many more exactly like this it's horrible, totally takes the atmosphere away .

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but like a lot of modern games the character is stripped to the bone at the start and it takes hours until you get enough weapons/abilities to make it feel fun.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Counterpoint- it is the definition of mediocrity. It doesn't do anything particularly well with the exception of the setting.

youngsylt

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Yeah, really a great game with some rough edges - everyone i know that actually palyed it felt the same. cant wait for a sequel!