• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I get that a game shouldn't need this many patches in the first week but hey at least they're fixing shit super fast and releasing them asap. Props to Bend.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
God fucking damnit, this thread really is getting me to consider just buying the game. I was turned off by the reviews, but these impressions sound so good and some of my favorite streamers are loving it too

How does it run on the base PS4 now?

I am in the same boat, was waiting for a sale... But might pick it up today...

As someone who trashed the game leading up to it I was dead wrong. Game is awesome. Its not the best game ever made but it's a really good take on an open world zombie game. It's like Mad Mad x State of Decay but with Sony behind it. You can feel all the years of development pumped into this and if you like a good open world single player game with good characters/story and without any trash microtransactions or charged DLC go for it (DLC is coming but its free). It's also drop dead gorgeous in both 1080p and 4k HDR.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
But why would an angry biker who lives in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and blames himself for losing his wife ever speak loudly or out of turn? It just doesn't make any sense.
Deacon has mental issues. Also on the Bike he speaks louder but the audio mixing is not the best so it sounds weird.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's because RDR2 has dynamic weather where weather conditions and severity don't always look the same. There are multiple types of raining weather, multiple types of storms, hail, snow,..etc. Yes, RDR2 has hail storms which the majority of players probably didn't experience. That's not to mention the dynamic mud and snow deformation which are lacking in Days Gone AFAIK.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Days Gone is one of the best looking games this generation and yeah the art direction is up to the player's preference.
It hails in RDR2??
But why would an angry biker who lives in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and blames himself for losing his wife ever speak loudly or out of turn? It just doesn't make any sense.
I know, right?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Games getting better the more I play. Just got to the 3rd main camp. And gosh the game is beautiful at times.

Shame you can activate photo mode in the middle of knifing a freaker though.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
No like dude is having a casual convo with someone on the back of his bike then all of a sudden starts yelling at the person while maintaining the same convo.

it's the audio mixing of the bike sounds. They make Deacon speaks louder because they presume the bike is loud but it isn't. Either a glitch or bad mixing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
As someone who trashed the game leading up to it I was dead wrong. Game is awesome. Its not the best game ever made but it's a really good take on an open world zombie game. It's like Mad Mad x State of Decay but with Sony behind it. You can feel all the years of development pumped into this and if you like a good open world single player game with good characters/story and without any trash microtransactions or charged DLC go for it (DLC is coming but its free). It's also drop dead gorgeous in both 1080p and 4k HDR.

It's mind-blowing beautiful.

One of the biggest problems the game has is the pacing, it has incredible cutscenes, incredible rides from one place to another, beautiful set pieces and stunning walks through a brand new camp. There is just a tiny bit too much open world stuff in between that could turn some people off.
But on the other hand..... It's even more surprising, almost shocking then, when it rips you out of your standard open world routine after hours and hours of doing the same (but mostly still cool, fun and exciting, don't get me wrong) stuff and shows you cutscenes, missions, brand new camps and more game world and simply stuff you never expected from a normal open world game.

Cause it's so different to what other open world games did in the past.

It's a weird pacing but my god can it surprise in this game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No like dude is having a casual convo with someone on the back of his bike then all of a sudden starts yelling at the person while maintaining the same convo.

Maybe because they tried doing something like in RDR2 and Spider-Man where they recorded the conversations twice(Calm and yelling) for when the bike is loud but didn't implement properly.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Man, the Lost Lakes segment of the story is really great.

No problems with the 1.06 patch so far for me, playing on a PS4 Slim.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Can you folks answer a few questions for me plz? I'm thinking about buying this.

1. Are the reviews scores about what you'd agree with?

2. How's performance since the last patch?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
How far in is
Deacon revisiting, then burning the church he got married in
?

Can you folks answer a few questions for me plz? I'm thinking about buying this.

1. Some of the low reviews astound me, and on average the reviews are lower than I expected. This game is better than its aggregate, and got some scores that don't reflect the quality of game it is. Scores befitting something much, much, much worse.

2. There are still performance issues, unless a patch downloaded after I quit playing at 5am. Slowdown while driving and brief pauses. Nothing too terrible.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

1. it's tough to talk about reviews because ultimately it's their opinion. I would say the game start a little rough and around a 7 but constantly ascending towards a 8 for me and maybe even higher. I would not agree with scores that goes to 5s-4s specially from sites that never go that low. I would not agree with a 10 as well.

2. Which console? On the Pro the performance has been pretty good with version 1.05 for me.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
How far in is
Deacon revisiting, then burning the church he got married in
?

1. Some of the low reviews astound me, and on average the reviews are lower than I expected. This game is better than its aggregate, and got some scores that don't reflect the quality of game it is. Scores befitting something much, much, much worse.

2. There are still performance issues, unless a patch downloaded after I quit playing at 5am. Slowdown while driving and brief pauses. Nothing too terrible.
1. it's tough to talk about reviews because ultimately it's their opinion. I would say the game start a little rough and around a 7 but constantly ascending towards a 8 for me and maybe even higher. I would not agree with scores that goes to 5s-4s specially from sites than never go that low. I would not agree with a 10 as well.

2. Which console? On the Pro the performance has been pretty good with version 1.05 for me.
Perfect, thanks friends. BTW i'd play it on the pro.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

I haven't read any of the reviews or even know the Meta score. But what I can say with absolute certainty is that this game is one of a kind in the open world genre, and it's the closest thing I've felt to playing The Last of Us since 2013. I'm hooked right now, and that isn't easy anymore.

Works as expected, haven't experienced any frame-rate or audio issues.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017

i'd say i would agree with reviewers that have it in the 7.5 - 8 range. it definitely has some issues that detract from the experience but it's pros outweigh the cons for me at least. For open world games atmosphere is big for me and i feel that they nailed that part of the game.

haven't had any performance issues that bothered me on my pro

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
If they address the performance issues I'd be happy giving this game an 8. I need to finish it before I have a firm opinion though.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can't tell if deacon being super loud is just bad audio mixing or intended due to him being unhinged. Its often hard to hear dialogue over your bike. Cutscene audio has really bad mixing too. Had to turn on sub-titles.

I also hate games that use the DS4 speaker. Have never liked the gimick and always turn it off. Perhaps they had the intention of making it sound like a low quality recording or something? Let me listen to the audio normally pls.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
At times I am embarrassed how much obvious approaches are not clicking with me...
I found a big ass cave with a Nero point inside it. Towards the Northwest of the map. I am only like 4-5 hours in if that.
First time I wander into the cave I die almost immediately as I am not expecting the insane amount of freakers in that shit.
Next time I thought maybe I could sneak up quietly and toss some molotovs. Nope. Died pretty much just as quick.
No matter what I did, the whole cave woke up pretty damn quick and it is the largest amount of zombies I have encountered yet.
Remembering my conversation with someone last night about using the Distractor somewhere else, I was like oh yeah let me try that shit, maybe it will help.
Before I did that though I said to myself fuck it, I think it would help if I see someone else doing in first. I need to get the hang of these larger groups of zombies and truly no shame in my game. I am a 44 year old gamer who does not have as much time as I once did to play so if I need some help getting better at a game, I seek it. The alternative is me saying fuck this game and moving on, and I am enjoying the game too much for that.
So I proceed to Google the Nero point name and cave.
What I immediately find was multiple articles and all of them said
just wait until night as the zombies will not be sleeping inside the cave.
As soon as I read that I was like damn it, that makes so much sense I am truly embarrassed I did not think of it myself.

I share the above as to me it is a small example of what makes the game really damn good game at times. Despite being set in a post apocalyptic setting with zombies around every corner, there is some reality to things no doubt.
I have still not attempted the above, but I am assuming the next time I do, it will be manageable. I need to start being way more strategic with things apparently, and that is pretty damn great.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
A little confused on the progression. Yellow marker Story missions progress Storylines? There seems to be multiple Storylines. Are they all connected to the main story?

Also, when do side missions become available?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Story is good once it gets going. Combat is great. It's is buggy though and definitely lacks the polish of GOW or RDR2. Visually it is above GOW and on par with RDR2
Your last sentence, absolutely disagreed, I am afraid. It's a nice looking game but both of those games are superior looking.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a real goty-moment with this game. Came accross a Nero camp, thought I unplugged all speakers...I was wrong.
Turns out this triggers one of the bigger hordes in the game. I manage to escape, but welp turns out I've parked my bike too close
to the camp and now it's in the middle of several hundreds of Freakers. The following hour was one tense attempt to retrieve my bike. Created a nice pile of 100 dead freakers with attractors and bombs, but at that point I found out they weren't lying about hordes being really big. Long story short: I died, lost all the progress, but wasn't frustrated at all. I love this game!

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well according to some comments I'm still not at 50% progress and I honestly don't just like the game, but I'm beginning to like it even more. There were some really awesome and long missions (with other characters involved, not just action, but a lot of rides/talks) in the Lake camp. I'm really not sure what people so strongly dislike about the game, I was really bored with Assassin's Creed until Origins and Odyssey especially or Ghost Recon Wildlands. Wildlands just has terrible characters, story and only a great looking world with the same boring mission over and over and over again and that got a higher score than Days Gone on IGN.

Yes, I haven't read the review, also not the Gamespot one, but I don't get it at all, even if you are annoying by "zombie" like enemies, open world with nothing totally new. I like some characters, you get to know a lot more about the world, NERO, the main character, some side characters, even stuff like the MC, why he is still wearing his patch, etc.

I'm still coming across new "random" events, mission types, etc. there is still new stuff coming in. So far I would rate it around 8, depend on the second half or 30+% that's still missing for me, I can't see myself going lower than a 7 personally, more likely 8.5/9 in the end, if it keeps on improving. For me, the game really picked up in the 3rd camp.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Had a real goty-moment with this game. Came accross a Nero camp, thought I unplugged all speakers...I was wrong.
Turns out this triggers one of the bigger hordes in the game. I manage to escape, but welp turns out I've parked my bike too close
to the camp and now it's in the middle of several hundreds of Freakers. The following hour was one tense attempt to retrieve my bike. Created a nice pile of 100 dead freakers with attractors and bombs, but at that point I found out they weren't lying about hordes being really big. Long story short: I died, lost all the progress, but wasn't frustrated at all. I love this game!

oh yeah, those damn speakers ^^ I though I got all of them as well, turning on the generator and ...I missed two and really had issues finding one of it or more like hitting it from my spot ;) but your yourney sounds way worse...

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Why was 1.06 pulled? I'm not having any problems with it so far fortunately, though the foliage pop-in seems worse but that could just be me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
A little confused on the progression. Yellow marker Story missions progress Storylines? There seems to be multiple Storylines. Are they all connected to the main story?

Also, when do side missions become available?

Side missions are given by camp leaders and are generally bounty related.

There are also nests/infection zones, NERO outpost 'puzzles' (using that loosely)..