• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
"Influencers" say game is amazing, news at 11.

Seriously though, I think this will land better than a lot of people imagined and may hit the 75-85 range. I could see it hitting a 78 on metacritic.
I mean, lots of "influencers," by which I believe you mean to say reviewers without the unnecessary quotation marks, said that Anthem was shit before it came out, and it was shit. This narrative that early impressions are always positive is false and annoying as hell to see repeated over and over in threads for movies and games where people seem to have some weird vested interest in seeing them fall flat. The last game I remember with this trend was Horizon ZD, which got positive previews despite many posters willing the game to fail, and released to acclaim and excellent sales, just in line with the positive previews. Crackdown 3 got mixed previews and sucked. The order 1886 got mixed previews and sucked. Age of Ultron got mixed previews and sucked. Justice League got mixed previews and sucked. Sometimes positive early reception is actually indicative of, and stay with me here, this is a doozy--positive early reception

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, lots of "influencers," by which I believe you mean to say reviewers without the unnecessary quotation marks, said that Anthem was shit before it came out, and it was shit. This narrative that early impressions are always positive is false and annoying as hell to see repeated over and over in threads for movies and games where people seem to have some weird vested interest in seeing them fall flat. The last game I remember with this trend was Horizon ZD, which got positive previews despite many posters willing the game to fail, and released to acclaim and excellent sales, just in line with the positive previews. Crackdown 3 got mixed previews and sucked. The order 1886 got mixed previews and sucked. Age of Ultron got mixed previews and sucked. Justice League got mixed previews and sucked. Sometimes positive early reception is actually indicative of, and stay with me here, this is a doozy--positive early reception

influencers said crackdown 3 was actually really fun too.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
World War Z devs announced they sold 1 million in a week now, and that was a low budget game with very little marketing, so people definitely not sick of zombies and I don't think Days Gone will have anything to worry about.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does the fact that some people thought BvS was good somehow equal "people posting early impressions lack a critical eye". That doesn't even make sense. Judge impressions by the context and content of the individual impression, instead of ridiculous generalizations
Because it's always the same for these 'early social media impressions'. They're always overly positive.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sigh.

As with any opinion - do your own damn research into their taste/preference/history to see if their opinions are worth a damn or not. For example - a lot of these positive influencer opinions I have no attachment to it. I don't know them, their taste in games could be shallow etc etc.

However, that recently deleted tweet from a certain influencer made me :thinking: because putting the reason why his content isn't allowed here aside, his reviews in the past has imo, been very critically minded and well-regarded for various games.

Alternatively, the fact that a lot of outlets that I kinda expected to be more 'down' on the game like Polygon or Kotaku ended up going through their 1-hour stream being more neutral and not showing any obvious signs of 'we don't like this game', made me more optimistic on the reception overall.

We know there's at least one outlet (EDGE) who more or less has hinted that their review won't be glowing. And that's perfectly normal. If your personal taste aligns with that reviewer, then that opinion will hold far more weight than others.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
All the new footage we are seeing, makes the game look more interesting, especially all the different rager beasts and human enemies, etc.

Frankly they screwed up by not showing so much of the games variety, for the first years of previews we got nothing but vids of the hordes of zombies and shooting them. They needed to really show how much variety the game offered early on to set it apart

What vids are these? Can't scroll through the thread at the moment. Would like to save the vids for later viewing. I've been waiting for them to show more variety! Sounds great

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
One thing what I don't like about DG is that vision sight and I will try to play it without that.

Horizon or Witcher 3 have something similar but Aloy has her high tech toy and Geralt has magic powers.
But I can see no logical explanation why Deacon has such a ability.

Hopefully that's not needed and there are also other ways to find a route etc...

It's just the games way of tracking stuff. Like Daryl in TWD can. You can't let the player go find broken twigs for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The people complaining about positive early impressions will be the same ones that quote the 5/10 review and say "I knew it, yikes!" while ignoring the positive reviews.

I get not wanting to hype something up only for it to not live up to it. But I've never understood going into something the opposite way by being grumpy about it. They must need to knock one out before doing absolutely anything to get rid of the constant frustrations.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it because I saw Deacon with a different cloth set in the Japanese footage.. maybe he changes clothes depending on the story progress? huh

Yeah he'll change clothes throughout the story but you can't customize it manually.

It's just the games way of tracking stuff. Like Daryl in TWD can. You can't let the player go find broken twigs for obvious purposes.

Yeah, but why does he see enemies through walls? RDR2 did the tracking vision well where you see the footprints and a trail but you can't see stuff through walls.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dunno, I was cold on this game and was gonna skip it until I saw some gameplay videos and had to buy it on PSN

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah he'll change clothes throughout the story but you can't customize it manually.

Yeah, but why does he see enemies through walls? RDR2 did the tracking vision well where you see the footprints and a trail but you can't see stuff through walls.
Ah that makes a lot more sense.. Curious about post release content, other than that can't wait for the game. I'll be getting it at 9pm on Thursday

I imagine it'll be similar to Uncharted 4. Unlock all the outfits in your first play through and use them at will on the second or during the end game activities.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I really want this game to be good but I have never been on the fence so much with a game than this one.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Here is my out there hot take - If this scores in the low 80s or better then it will sell more than God of War. This is the type of casual crowd game that will have longer legs. It will fall short of Spider-Man, but honestly God of War sales don't seem to have had long legs at all when it quit showing up in the top 10 list on PS4.
At least do some research before such a post, GoW had great legs, the game only disappeared from PAL charts after 7 months and then it was on and off, even last week it was on the chart.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Well all of them fit together nicely on the shelf except the Spider-Man one. I hope the Days Gone special edition is the same size as the rest.

Yeah, the Spider-Man special edition doesn't fit into the picture and had to go on top of the shelf.

Edit:

IMG-20190423-164832.jpg

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
A user in a german forum got already the german M!Games with a review.

Conclusion in german.
Singleplayer: 8/10
Grafik: 9/10
Sound: 8/10
Spielspass: 83 = Fun to play
Fazit: Atmosphärische und kompromisslose Motorradtour durch die Postapokalypse, die im Detail Mängel offenbar.
Pro: Landidylle mit fiesen Zombietrupps, viele interessante NPCs, riesige Freakerhorden mit tageszeitabhängigem Verhalten, edle Optik
Contra: ab und zu stürzt das Spiel ab (V1.02), Storysequenzen werden immer wieder mit Ladezeiten unterbrochen, Pop-ups und teils schlechte Bildrate, 08/15-Missionsdesign

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
A user in a german forum got already the german M!Games with a review.

Conclusion in german.
Singleplayer: 8/10
Grafik: 9/10
Sound: 8/10
Spielspass: 83 = Fun to play
Fazit: Atmosphärische und kompromisslose Motorradtour durch die Postapokalypse, die im Detail Mängel offenbar.
Pro: Landidylle mit fiesen Zombietrupps, viele interessante NPCs, riesige Freakerhorden mit tageszeitabhängigem Verhalten, edle Optik
Contra: ab und zu stürzt das Spiel ab (V1.02), Storysequenzen werden immer wieder mit Ladezeiten unterbrochen, Pop-ups und teils schlechte Bildrate, 08/15-Missionsdesign
Ah yes the first review!

Status
Not open for further replies.