Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I feel Days Gone is kind of like Mad Max (2015). The game got low 7's and I still enjoyed the fuck outta mad max, I think I'll have a good time with this one as well.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The only two things i needed this game to get right were the motorcycle physics and the weather system...

Let's say you take a turn by leaning too far over, will you wipeout or is it pretty forgiving in that regard?
You can wipeout like that, but there are so many twists, turns and obstacles even on the beaten path that it's rare for you to be riding fast enough for it to happen. The challenge in riding is in dealing with obstacles like abandoned cars or barricades.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn. I'm still excited to jump into it, but I'm not looking forward to the circlejerk of game journos that have been echoing each other for the last two years saying "I told ya so!" for the next month, then again at GOTY time.

Might have to skip the bomb/beastcast for the next few weeks. Those guys have become insanely negative lately.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What, did I miss something? I've always appreciated Patrick's work and been a fan of his since the 1up days. Somehow this has flown under the radar, what did i miss?
It's basically a James Gunn situation where people who dislike him or what he represents to them, dug through his past and found something shitty he did like a decade ago to attack and smear him with today. Despite him having acknowledged that his past behavior was shitty, very clearly having changed it and stopped doing that shit a long time ago.

I doubt people who bring that up are doing it in good faith.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
After reading reviews about days gone

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
No really surprised by the score. A lot of people were skeptical about this game from the beginning--me included--and nothing shown since its unveiling dissuaded that doubt. Doesn't mean the game is bad, though. It just means it is not a AAA masterpiece a lot of people expect from Sony's 1st party nowadays. It is just a decent, maybe even good, game.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think there needs to be a deep compare and contrast analysis of this and Horizon. There needs to be an analysis on why one might mean more to the community than the other and why one was
Disappointing year continues to disappoint.

I guessed VERY low 80's. Shows I should have had even less faith in this game than before and everything I thought about it was true.

disappointing year? lol have you played sekiro? that game is such a well crafted game and the fun factor is distilled perfectly.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I called 73 if I remember well. So not surprised at all. The game looked rough visually and gameplay wise. Not to mention the lack of charisma of the characters.

It's just a pity for the folks at Bend Studio it clear they put some love on it. I hope the game does well after such a long development. I wonder what they will do next...

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I'm not dropping $60 day one on a game that's reported to be bad in order to form my own opinion. Maybe I'll do it in a year or two when it's on deep discount.

People who come into bad review threads championing not listening to reviewers and buying a game day one to "form their own opinion" are people who have already formed an opinion based on marketing material.

I'm not saying invest $60, you could rent it, which in conclusion will save you a lot more money down the road when/if you decide to buy said game on sale because of reviews.

People who come into threads championing listening to reviews to cancel pre-orders or not buy a game have already formed their own opinion based on reviews. Correct?

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Well damn. I'm still excited to jump into it, but I'm not looking forward to the circlejerk of game journos that have been echoing each other for the last two years saying "I told ya so!" for the next month, then again at GOTY time.

Might have to skip the bomb/beastcast for the next few weeks. Those guys have become insanely negative lately.

must not be listening to the same podcast as me lol

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Where's that exaggerated review scale when you need it lol.

There's no middle ground for folks these days it's either the greatest thing ever or absolute dogshit.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes. But you have to make them in their domain. Don't treat a open world videogame, with tons of previews were you can actually see their shallow premise to be a piece of narrative work.

But Patrick make emphasis on the morals of the game or the lack of. The two authors that I quote are masters of moral complexity. If he wants that kind of consistency he is not looking at the right place.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a game to at least be consistent with itself. Sony has pushed this game as a narrative experience, and it's being critiqued as one.

You can't just expect a game to be handled with kid's gloves when it does something poorly. It's one of the great failures of other contemporary games review outlets that stories are expected to be sub-par. Bend could - and should - have done better.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
But Patrick make emphasis on the morals of the game or the lack of. The two authors that I quote are masters of moral complexity. If he wants that kind of consistency he is not looking at the right place.
Are a characters view of themselves and their conflicting actions not a form of inconsistancy if not justified though? I haven't played the game to judge but the review often says that the character lives by some kind of code then often does morally questionable things that counter act that without obvious rhyme or reason. I'm not sure they were questioning the morales of the actions only that they are at odds with the character and seem meaningless from a narrative stand point which are inconsistant and generally empty in a game that seems to be taking itself very seriously.

As someone who hasn't played the game, and has no prior knowledge of Waypoint or the reviewer that was what I took from it reading through unless I missed something and it felt like a fair critisicm if true.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
It's a "wait for sale" game for me then, which is OK! Had higher hopes for it though. Will definitely pick it up later when it's patched up as well. Back to work in my backlog I guess lol

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People have been grossly overestimating it this whole time and are now quiet/otherwise trying to play it off as if 7 is not a huge disappointment. It's actually kind of funny to watch.
Nah, it is merely a slight disappointment. I was hoping for slightly better scores, like many and definitely Sony/Bend. No one really expected this to be an outstanding 10/10 game, however.

It's probably still a good way to spend your time if you are itching for a zombie open-world game but not a must-play game regardless of what genres and themes you are into.

The hyperbole in this thread is off the charts, as expected.

What really gets me are some of the derisive and downright hostile comments towards the developers. Just shameful.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's basically a James Gunn situation where people who dislike him or what he represents to them, dug through his past and found something shitty he did like a decade ago to attack and smear him with today. Despite him having acknowledged that his past behavior was shitty, very clearly having changed it and stopped doing that shit a long time ago.

thanks for the info, i thought it may be something like that. A shame.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is, in every possible sense, a capital-M modern video game. Its world is littered with crafting materials and tasks to complete, which feed the player experience points to unlock parts of a skill tree. As you progress through the game and build up trust in different wilderness encampments, you gain access to more weapons, more skills, more parts for your motorcycle. Days Gone replicates the excruciatingly basic stealth elements of so many other games, where violent takedowns are easy and throwing distraction objects is key.

I just can't do this shit anymore, it's so boring. I've played enough Far Cry games.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
from eurogamer:

Days Gone carries with it the expectation that if you cobble a game together from parts of other games that are already massively successful, you'll have yourself a winner, but it has no awareness of why these games were successful, or simply no means to replicate them. I'm not sure whether you should blame a troubled production process, which Days Gone definitely had, for the state of the game or if it's just an attempt to hoodwink you into paying for a game you've already played several times over.

I wasn't expecting Days Gone to add anything new to the genre, but both in terms of its systems and its story it's uninspired, which is driven home by the fact that it's endlessly, needlessly long. I'm begging you, haven't we done this enough?

this's always been my single greatest fear with this game: that, with the subject matter being this relentlessly grim, an open-world, 40+ hour experience, no matter how much you might like the characters or the story, is just gonna become extraordinarily wearing/exhausting...

oh, well - my copy'll be getting here eventually :) ...

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a C for me until college. High School 70 is a D. Like a low D.

0-69 F
70-76 D
77-84 C
85-92 B
92-100 A

North Carolina lives off this grading scale and a lot of our universities use minus systems so a 70 is still terrible.
I was talking about how review outlets classify their scores, For example IGN: https://corp.ign.com/review-practices

A C or a D is by no means a good score. A 70-79 is a good game by IGN's meassure.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017

Gamers (with a capital G) really hate critical analysis. Somehow games are alternately impeccable art that is above criticism and worthless toys that have no meaning. Whatever they are, you sure as heck better not analyze anything other than their framerate and image quality.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
People have been grossly overestimating it this whole time and are now quiet/otherwise trying to play it off as if 7 is not a huge disappointment. It's actually kind of funny to watch.
I mean a 7 IS disappointing but on the opposite hand. People acting like it is total dog shit because it's averaging a 7 clearly have an agenda. 70's have never been a BAD game.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anybody know if the game exclusively takes place in forrested areas? I feel like I heard something about the later portion of the game heading further upstate. As an Oregonian, my one real remaining interest in this game comes from what parts of the state they built out.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, this didn't appeal to me from the beginning. I hope it does alright for Bend so they can continue to make games in the future. I hope they go back to syphon filter in the future. Would love to see that on PS5.

Nycteris

Jun 19, 2018
Goddamn, these are some depressing reviews. RIP Bend Studio, I'll be surprised if Sony greenlights a sequel to the game or lets them start another IP that may or may not be out in 2025.
They are going to greenlight a sequel, specially if it is for the launching of PS5. Take into account that the game will sell more than 2 or 3 million copies.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Oct 27, 2017
Slant gave RDR2 a 7/10. Unless you hate the open world genre, I don't know why you should pay attention to their reviews in that genre.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

It's not this for me. It's just that moralizes in the most hyperbolic and pompous of fashions. It's incredibly obvious how highly he thinks of himself in his writing style. He lacks any real subtlety.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe stop looking at the average number and actually read the reviews.

Depending on what you are looking for in game, this one may be considered a piece of shit
I have read the reviews...? and even stated I have no interest in the game, I have no horse in this race but as the person was attacking devs based entirely on a review score I mentioned it, but sure, attack me for it rather than the guy shaming the devs :/

Christ this thread is a dumpster fire.

Oct 26, 2017
Guess that's the benefit of always being behind on games is that it makes it easier to wait on a sale. Should be a great pickup during the holidays.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Sony greenlighted a sequel to Knack so this will see another entry too, but I'm glad I didn't buy it. It looked bland and generica when presented, and it's bland and generic when released.