• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement confirms recent rumors that Vertigo, the much admired and industry changing mature-themed imprint, is being sunsetted. It's a kinder word than cancelled or killed, but still one that brings a tear to the eye.

More surprisingly, however, DC Zoom (for middle grades) and DC Ink (a YA line)– two much heralded imprints for young readers– are also being phased out. The lines only launched this year and had already seen sales success.

Despite this, I'm told that DC is still going full speed ahead with more material for younger readers – with more titles to be announced at the ALA annual meeting, now taking place in Washington, DC.

In place of individual imprints, DC's titles will have age rating labels that indicate who the material is suitable for, as follows:
  • DC Kids will focus on readers ages 8-12 and offer content created specifically for the middle-grade reader
  • DC, focusing on ages 13+, will primarily be the current DC universe of characters
  • DC Black Label will focus on content appropriate for readers 17 and older
Vertigo's sunset and the general streamlining of DC's publishing plans do not mean an end to creator-owned material at DC, though, according to Publisher and Chief Creative Officer Jim Lee.

"What we've done here is apply an ages and stages organizing philosophy that will strengthen what we're already doing well, whether that is our move into the young adult and middle grade audience or our long track record of success with creator-driven pop-up lines," said Lee. "We will also continue to publish creator-owned projects, and will evaluate and assign to the appropriate label to help our fans find the best books for their interests. These new labels not only bring greater consistency and focus to our characters, but they also open up a wealth of new opportunities for the talent working on our books."
xUBsGgw.gif

I guess American Vampire will never get it's proper conclusion.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
DC is changing it's structure? Must be a day that ends in Y

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Vertigo was a name that had caché. "DC Black Label" just sounds dumb, like what is this, a luxury wine?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Get your exclusive "Johnny Walker DC Black Label" today! 52% ABV!

Is what I thought of when I read that.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember riding my bike miles to the local comic store to buy Death #1. Never will forget that. Vertigo was comic books, but cool. Bad move man.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Does that mean that we will see more Sandman like vertigo releases (that exists in the same DC continuity) and less Fables (that have a continuity of their own) ?

May 24, 2019
Y;all should have brought them
4628889-01.jpg

That's actually an example of what they'd supposedly do now. Something outside of the normal, largely unrelated to the DCU (I know it was a DC property, which was why it wasn't Vertigo) just in with the rest.

edit: But yeah. It should have been more popular and allowed to finish. Funnily enough the writer just got his current satirical DC comic increased from 6 to 12 issues, which is the direct opposite of what happened to Prez.

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like every major comic book death, they'll just bring back Vertigo a couple of years from now to massive fanfare.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I know people are make booze label jokes. But I bet you that the marketing boys at DC were thinking this:
2000px-Parental_Advisory_label.svg.png

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Vertigo eventually reborn wouldn't surprise me.
Whatever they want to call it, a creator owned, mature brand must continue. Vertigo made some of the best comics ever created.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when DC brought back Red Circle like people were asking for it?
Red-Circle-preview-dc-comics-6522485-1405-2100.jpg

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Vertigo dropped off my radar and Image picked up the alternative comics slack a long time ago. The Vertigo heyday can't be touched though, Image comes close but not nearly close enough.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What is Karen Berger even doing these days? Vertigo hasn't even been a thing in forever,so I don't see the problem. There isn't anybody with taste curating talent at DC.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sad and the end of an Era. I haven't read any Vertigo in awhile and it seems like comments in this thread indicate quality had plunged but in its heyday it was hands down the best of the best with actual literary quality content.

Also Dalek thanks for the pod rec, I am always searching for new ones and this looks right up my alley, in fact going to give s listen right now.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sad and the end of an Era. I haven't read any Vertigo in awhile and it seems like comments in this thread indicate quality had plunged but in its heyday it was hands down the best of the best with actual literary quality content.

Also Dalek thanks for the pod rec, I am always searching for new ones and this looks right up my alley, in fact going to give s listen right now.

Thanks. They also do one about the history of Batman. Really well done!

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks. They also do one about the history of Batman. Really well done!
Yeah, I just about finished the first episode and am loving it, will keep up with it as long as they make them. Only other thing I can think that gets as in depth is old Fatman on Batman but while I still like it and enjoy Bernardin it's changed. Plus this is more like a professional documentary.

But again thanks, I try a lot of stuff I see posted here but this one is a solid winner.