• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Are they gonna keep the comics in the Warner steaming? Like, Marvel has their comics subscription, but DC has both comics and media together...why is it that DC's way is worse?
It's not that DC's way is worse, it's that the ceiling for the shows would be higher if they were on a service that more people had access to.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
4cezqwpqgy031.jpg

Lyk dis if u cri evrytiem

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Are they gonna keep the comics in the Warner steaming? Like, Marvel has their comics subscription, but DC has both comics and media together...why is it that DC's way is worse?

You're not thinking financially. Marvel Unlimited doesn't fund comics, shows, or anything else; they've already sold the comic beforehand and the sub service is just capturing folks that sorta want to read comics. They're charging access to comics that have already paid for themselves. itsfreemoney.gif DC Universe funds the actual DC Universe content, like the daily show, Titans, Doom Patrol, etc.

The problem is DCU isn't quite big enough to reach the broad audience (since the season airs first in the US, to subs only) to make the venture financially strong, so they're likely relying on the revenue from licensing elsewhere. (Titans on Netflix.) I'd roll the shows up into WarnerMedia streaming and the comics service as a value-add you get access to if you have a WarnerMedia sub. (Like Crunchyroll and Crunchyroll Manga, same subscription, two different apps/services.)

Oct 25, 2017

It won't happen for at least a decade or two, if ever. The Snyder Cut dream isn't happening anytime soon and it'd never happen to appease a minority of the audience that's upset over Ray Fisher and Ezra Miller's contracts ending without a renewal.

There is no genuine reason for Warner Bros to even want to promote and release a Snyder Cut at this point in time. By and large, the DCEU is trying to lick its wounds and move forward with the stuff that worked for mass audiences (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Harley Quinn) and retool the things that didn't really connect like they wanted. Going back to the film that's generally remembered as the biggest dud in the DCEU to date and release a new cut that echoes more to the vibe and tone of Zack Snyder isn't anywhere near the top of their priority list.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Better solution, actually open the app globally and port to consoles. Problem solved.

I still don't think it would matter, to be honest. I'd hazard they probably get more in licensing fees from Netflix in each region than they would from their own subs.

But that's only financially. I'm pretty sure the DCU shows are helping WB/DC with branding, since they've largely been critically praised.

Also, they need to get all the comics on there at some point.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
You're not thinking financially. Marvel Unlimited doesn't fund comics, shows, or anything else; they've already sold the comic beforehand and the sub service is just capturing folks that sorta want to read comics. They're charging access to comics that have already paid for themselves. itsfreemoney.gif DC Universe funds the actual DC Universe content, like the daily show, Titans, Doom Patrol, etc.

The problem is DCU isn't quite big enough to reach the broad audience (since the season airs first in the US, to subs only) to make the venture financially strong, so they're likely relying on the revenue from licensing elsewhere. (Titans on Netflix.) I'd roll the shows up into WarnerMedia streaming and the comics service as a value-add you get access to if you have a WarnerMedia sub. (Like Crunchyroll and Crunchyroll Manga, same subscription, two different apps/services.)
If they are relying on licensing elsewhere, in what way does apparently putting Doom Patrol on HBO help? And if Warner legit puts all their holding into that streaming service it's gonna be hella expensive as they have a shit ton of content. Or they are just gonna have tiers which makes it really not that appetizing. And then they are gonna add it's comics on there too? Seems a bit too much. We'd go round to the original problem that all of Warners content is separate.

We'd first have to get some type of data from AT&T, as far as their earnings report this year, I didn't see anything about DCU specifically. So at the moment any type of doom for it seems a bit early. However, like Ross stated, a good start would to actually have this app available around the world instead of just the US.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
If they are relying on licensing elsewhere, in what way does apparently putting Doom Patrol on HBO help?
Who said anything about putting them on HBO? WarnerMedia streaming will offering HBO yes, but that will likely be its own service as well, as HBO is entirely too poular to cut completely. WM is about all of your eggs in one basket, having folks who are watching GoT or Watchmen, perhaps also watching Doom Patrol or Titans. The big tent. There is currently no cross-pollination, which would help things like DCU far more than they would HBO.

And if Warner legit puts all their holding into that streaming service it's gonna be hella expensive as they have a shit ton of content. Or they are just gonna have tiers which makes it really not that appetizing. And then they are gonna add it's comics on there too? Seems a bit too much. We'd go round to the original problem that all of Warners content is separate.
WarnerMedia streaming is already coming, it's a done deal. Disney+ is $6.99. CBS All Access is $5.99. Netflix is $12.99. HBO Now is $14.99. AT&T has already said that HBO subs will likely get access to WarnerMedia streaming, and WM will probably costs a little more than HBO Now.

We'd first have to get some type of data from AT&T, as far as their earnings report this year, I didn't see anything about DCU specifically. So at the moment any type of doom for it seems a bit early. However, like Ross stated, a good start would to actually have this app available around the world instead of just the US.

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, AT&T addressed the significant costs of launching such a venture.

"We expect financial support to launch this product to come from a combination of incremental efficiencies within the WarnerMedia operations, consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C efforts, fallow library content, and technology reuse," AT&T said in the filing. "We expect to defer some licensing revenues to later periods in the form of increased customer subscription revenues."

By "sub-scale D2C efforts," AT&T is likely referring to existing WarnerMedia properties such as Boomerang (featuring classic cartoons), DramaFever (a Korean programming service) and the fledgling DC Universe streaming platform. It's understood that those ventures will be rolled into the larger new service in an effort to cut operating costs and more quickly aggregate audiences by offering a wider menu of programs.

Dramafever was shuttered rather soon after those comments, as licensing costs for Korean/Japanese/Chinese drama went way up. There's huge upheaval at TNT/TBS in prep for WarnerMedia streaming. HBO CEO Richard Pepler resigned after damn near 30 years, partially because of AT&T restructuring around WarnerMedia. Crunchyroll, which has 12 million subscribers, is already being reorganized under WarnerMedia. (It just raised its prices for the first time since launch, post-acquisition.) So your argument is DC Universe is vastly outperforming all those divisions to the point it won't be touched?

It's not doom, per se. DC is a strong part of WB, DC Universe is ahead of expectations, and I'm certain the shows will continue to be produced. It's just a matter of whether that will continue under their own bespoke app and service. Especially since they already confirmed more original DC content for WarnerMedia; why produce for DCU and WarnerMedia separately?

TL;DR - AT&T owns a whole lot of shit, each with their own apps and services, but the company is being reorganized for WarnerMedia, so you should expect a ton of upheaval there. DC Universe will likely be a part of that.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Who said anything about putting them on HBO? WarnerMedia streaming will offering HBO yes, but that will likely be its own service as well, as HBO is entirely too poular to cut completely. WM is about all of your eggs in one basket, having folks who are watching GoT or Watchmen, perhaps also watching Doom Patrol or Titans. The big tent. There is currently no cross-pollination, which would help things like DCU far more than they would HBO.

WarnerMedia streaming is already coming, it's a done deal. Disney+ is $6.99. CBS All Access is $5.99. Netflix is $12.99. HBO Now is $14.99. AT&T has already said that HBO subs will likely get access to WarnerMedia streaming, and WM will probably costs a little more than HBO Now.

Dramafever was shuttered rather soon after those comments, as licensing costs for Korean/Japanese/Chinese drama went way up. There's huge upheaval at TNT/TBS in prep for WarnerMedia streaming. HBO CEO Richard Pepler resigned after damn near 30 years, partially because of AT&T restructuring around WarnerMedia. Crunchyroll, which has 12 million subscribers, is already being reorganized under WarnerMedia. (It just raised its prices for the first time since launch, post-acquisition.) So your argument is DC Universe is vastly outperforming all those divisions to the point it won't be touched?

It's not doom, per se. DC is a strong part of WB, DC Universe is ahead of expectations, and I'm certain the shows will continue to be produced. It's just a matter of whether that will continue under their own bespoke app and service. Especially since they already confirmed more original DC content for WarnerMedia; why produce for DCU and WarnerMedia separately?
Doom Patrol is on HBO in some countries

We still barely know what the new WarnerMedia server is and that does not bold well.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
We still barely know what the new WarnerMedia server is and that does not bold well.

Yes, that is a problem. They just did a vague presentation involving TNT and TBS, but they're supposed to have a full media announcement in... September I believe?

The restructuring is pretty heavy in terms of the various organizations, but we're not seeing the final outcome yet. Relevant: It was just announced (hours ago) that TruTV is seeing layoffs.

TruTV is laying off most of its marketing and programming staffers, who will receive severance packages as part of exit deals similar to those at other units of WarnerMedia. The company has been streamlining and consolidating since AT&T acquired Time Warner for $81 billion in 2018. The restructuring accelerated in February, when the federal government ended its pursuit of an antitrust lawsuit seeking to block the merger.

Deadline has confirmed the truTV departures are close to 50, or nearly 40% of the network's workforce. The departments are not shutting down completely, with small programming and marketing teams to remain when the network team joins other New York divisions next week at WarnerMedia's new HQ in Hudson Yards.

WarnerMedia's restructuring across all its divisions has includes offering voluntary buyouts — at CNN this month, more than 100 workers took them amid the move to Hudson Yards. Similar offerings were undertaken at HBO and Turner as WarnerMedia parent AT&T is looking to restructure and reduce what was $170 billion in net debt as of the end of 2018.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

TL;DR - AT&T owns a whole lot of shit, each with their own apps and services, but the company is being reorganized for WarnerMedia, so you should expect a ton of upheaval there. DC Universe will likely be a part of that.

But from what I'm reading, we only know that everything is under WarnerMedia company, not how it's going to be distributed. We'll have to see, but I don't see it being all dumped on a WarnerMedia streaming service. At best I can see them do is pool most of their resources into one areas the warners service, with certain brands being separate. Ie, the HBO, Crunchyroll, DC. Like you'll have to pay a bit more for access to those services at a discount. But at the same time you can just buy access for those services alone.

As for why would WarnerMedia produce DC stuff separately, we are legit already seeing it. We have Fox/Netfix , CW, HBO, and DCU, that all have their own DC content. Fox/Netflix, are more just licensed out.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
As for why would WarnerMedia produce DC stuff separately, we are legit already seeing it. We have Fox/Netfix , CW, HBO, and DCU, that all have their own DC content. Fox/Netflix, are more just licensed out.
Those are merely licensed. Original content is currently produced for CW (legacy, related to the ongoing Berlanti deal), and DCUniverse. Further DC stuff after Stargirl (Summer) and Titans Season 2 (Fall) will likely be under the same banner. The argument is whether that's WM or not.

I'm not even particularly sure why people care if the shows are under WM or DCU? I personally just care that they're happening and want them on the platform that offers the most visibility and potential for success.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
If WarnerMedia can't barely figure out what it's streaming brand is gonna be then that does not bode well for its successes. There are multiple Star Wars and MCU shows in development while WM have only greenlighted a Gremlins animated prequel and a Anna Kendrick/Paul Feig romantic comedy anthology.(Also a rumored Ben 10 live action show)

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Of all the characters to bring back. He was one of the least interesting characters in the film. Maybe even the least.

Rope guy was more memorable.

Oct 25, 2017
James Gunn made Dave Bautista, a Raccoon and a tree work. I love Bautista, but he owes a lot of his career to Gunn understanding how to play to his strengths. Trust Gunn.

I mean, he put Bautista on the map, but judging by his brief, yet quite memorable appearance in Blade Runner 2049, I think it's a safe bet that Gunn only played to some of Bautista's strengths as an actor.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the characters to bring back. He was one of the least interesting characters in the film. Maybe even the least.

Rope guy was more memorable.
Rick Flagg is a pretty important character to the Suicide Squad. It's just that it was a horrible portrayal in the movie. I'm HOPING it was the direction and writing more than the acting, and he'll end up being better in the Gunn-directed movie.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Rick Flagg is a pretty important character to the Suicide Squad. It's just that it was a horrible portrayal in the movie. I'm HOPING it was the direction and writing more than the acting, and he'll end up being better in the Gunn-directed movie.
Honestly think it was a lot of the acting. He was miscast. Not that his writing did him any favors but I just didn't buy him in the role.

Hes the one role I wanted them to just recast.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Originally Hardy was supposed to portray him but he couldn't do it because of the revenant
I think it's more he saw that script and fucking bounced

Kino Man is a solid actor, and I'm sure can put in some decent work with the right director. I won't judge him from SS or Altered Carbon. Plus he's got a great physique.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Kino Man is a solid actor, and I'm sure can put in some decent work with the right director. I won't judge him from SS or Altered Carbon. Plus he's got a great physique.
Nah, he loved the script. If he was a good judge of script than he wouldn't have sign unto Venom.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

He sucks in house of cards too. How many chances does am actor get?!

Status
Not open for further replies.