Oct 27, 2017
JSA movie set in the 40s.
I was thinking, could a new DCU be better served if it starts in the 40s? A Superman born in today's world is what Snyderverse was all about with their interpretation of the character and makes sense. Captain America, I think, really benefited from that angle with the first movie and made the modern day Cap seem not as cheesey because he literally is a man out of time. It certainly would be interesting to see a 10 year plan that advances through decades of changes and ends with Kingdom Come.

Feb 16, 2022
Splitting hairs here. I mean...by your definition Gunn is just relaunching DCEU to DCU and not rebooting because he's keeping some stuff. These terms are pretty interchangeable when discussing retconning things.
The terms aren't interchangable in the comics medium, as they have different meanings. "Reboots" are only preserved for actual continuity resets, which have only happened twice in DC's history: post-Crisis on Infinite Earths and the New 52. "Retcons" are just simple continuity nip-and-tucks. Dawn of DC is a "relaunch", which is just releasing new #1s in a line-wide initiative.

It's different in movies as the movies don't really have a set rule/precedence. In the comics, the terms all have their uses that has been categorized for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
The terms aren't interchangable in the comics medium, as they have different meanings. "Reboots" are only preserved for actual continuity resets, which have only happened twice in DC's history: post-Crisis on Infinite Earths and the New 52. "Retcons" are just simple continuity nip-and-tucks. Dawn of DC is a "relaunch", which is just releasing new #1s in a line-wide initiative.

It's different in movies as the movies don't really have a set rule/precedence. In the comics, the terms all have their uses that has been categorized for a long time.
Ok. Sure. I'll agree to the definition clarification. Now change my wording of the og post you quoted to relaunch and the point still remains the same. Gunn is wanting to have a shared universe with all the DC mediums and DC comics already is going through a RELAUNCH. Perhaps take more than 3 months to decide what should change again, overall, for a new RELAUNCH to coincide with live action and animation.

Feb 16, 2022
Ok. Sure. I'll agree to the definition clarification. Now change my wording of the og post you quoted to relaunch and the point still remains the same. Gunn is wanting to have a shared universe with all the DC mediums and DC comics already is going through a RELAUNCH. Perhaps take more than 3 months to decide what should change again, overall, for a new RELAUNCH to coincide with live action and animation.
I'm not quite sure that Gunn said anything about lining things up with the comics. It's going to be hard to do so since the logistics for comics would be quite different. The comics side has already been dealing with delays and cancellations(both of books AND publishing plans) left and right, and they have workers to think about that would need book assignments that couldn't afford to be timed with other stuff perfectly. It's not as easy as it seems, as both Marvel and DC have had to contend with for years at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not quite sure that Gunn said anything about lining things up with the comics. It's going to be hard to do so since the logistics for comics would be quite different. The comics side has already been dealing with delays and cancellations(both of books AND publishing plans) left and right, and they have workers to think about that would need book assignments that couldn't afford to be timed with other stuff perfectly. It's not as easy as it seems, as both Marvel and DC have had to contend with for years at this point.
He's made a couple of comments about it.
Screenshot-20230129-215109.png

Working with Jim Lee. Also that the comic and DC Studio divisions he wants to have "synergy".

I agree it would be quite the task but, if done well, could really pay off. DCEU having their own interpretations, often far from source material, really divides the DC fan base and leads to middling box office numbers. Take some of the best story runs and just do them as accurately to the source as possible with proper casting, writing, and time period. They are getting nowhere doing what they think will work modernly when they already have a history of what did work in the comics.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking, could a new DCU be better served if it starts in the 40s? A Superman born in today's world is what Snyderverse was all about with their interpretation of the character and makes sense. Captain America, I think, really benefited from that angle with the first movie and made the modern day Cap seem not as cheesey because he literally is a man out of time. It certainly would be interesting to see a 10 year plan that advances through decades of changes and ends with Kingdom Come.
A plan that involves basically a more fleshed-out DC: The New Frontier that spans decades would be pretty amazing.

Feb 16, 2022
He's made a couple of comments about it.
Screenshot-20230129-215109.png

Working with Jim Lee. Also that the comic and DC Studio divisions he wants to have "synergy".

I agree it would be quite the task but, if done well, could really pay off. DCEU having their own interpretations, often far from source material, really divides the DC fan base and leads to middling box office numbers. Take some of the best story runs and just do them as accurately to the source as possible with proper casting, writing, and time period. They are getting nowhere doing what they think will work modernly when they already have a history of what did work in the comics.
I get what you're saying, but the synergy they seem to be talking about doesn't seem to be about making sure the movies/comics interpretations are similar, more like giving characters that are going to be in a spotlight in the movies a push in comics and reprints(like what they recently did with Black Adam, and has historically done to various extent with other movies). For better or worse, I wouldn't expect anything much more than that in this front, tbh.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Since the slate is imminent, I'll post what I would've done:

5 Year Planfiction

Year One.
  1. Kingdom Come - Apply the skip the origin story mentality to the entire universe. New events force Superman (Anson Mount type, 40s-50s) out of retirement. He assembles Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern to bring heroism back to the world. A grizzled Batman (Josh Brolin type, 40s-50s) continued operating outside the law - alienating his former allies, but they reunite upon realizing the full scope of the global threat.
  2. Static Shock - Inspired by the return of the legendary heroes, a newly empowered Virgil Hawkins navigates his abilities and learns what it means to be a hero. Smaller-scale film to contrast with the big event.
  3. Lobo tv show - A Lobo comedic action show exploring the universe or terrorizing planet earth. Reusing Momoa would be less whiplash in a show versus a movie.
Year Two
  1. Wonder Woman: Genesis - Put Wonder Woman in a new mythology with a diverse supporting cast like the Furies or Orion. WW has ties to the New Gods. Sword & sandals versus sci-fi.
  2. Batman: Legacy - A mystery in Gotham City sends Batman on a path that ties into his crime-fighting legacy and his greatest mistakes. Needs to introduce the Batfamily. That'd be the main difference from the other reboots: Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl.
  3. Hellblazer tv show - Constantine and Zatanna team up to define the magic side of the DCU. It could debut anyone from a new Dr. Fate to Swamp Thing, Etrigan or Raven.
Year Three
  1. Flash of Two Worlds - The Flash acted as an unseen protector for years before slowing down to step back into the public eye. That momentary change was all his enemies needed. Do the opposite of whatever Ezra's movie does.
  2. Superman: Last Son - Superman shoulders the responsibility of being the most powerful being on Earth. But between his preteen son coming into his powers and the return of an old enemy, he might not keep that title for long.
  3. Green Lantern Corps tv show - A wisened Hal Jordan constructs a new Corps. from his emerald fortress in the sky. The new knights of the round table versus an intergalactic threat. John, Kyle, Drew, Guy, etc..
Year Four
  1. Justice League - By year four, there would be scores of characters to work with. I'm tired of giant alien invasions so I would prefer Legion of Doom or something grounded.
  2. Gotham City Sirens - Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman adventures in Gotham City. That relationship has never been done in live-action. Green Arrow and Black Canary could be the heroic antagonists of the movie.
  3. New Gods tv show - Following up on Wonder Woman's adventures, the series would explore the eternal conflict between Genesis and Apokolips. Orion, Mr. Miracle, and Big Barda going against foes of both worlds.
Year Five
  1. Wonder Woman 2 or Batman 2 or Superman 2
  2. Teen Titans - At this point we could have Superboy, Robin, Raven, Kid Flash, etc. established. The Teen Titans used to be as big as the X-Men in the comics and their animated shows are hugely popular, but there's been a sidekick-phobia in the movies.
  3. Justice League International tv show - A comedy show about hard-luck heroes trying to do some good. Blue and Gold, Fire and Ice, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner, Mr. Terrific, Shazam, etc.. - there's a lot of options.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to see is any one of these
  • Jon Kent
  • Bat Family
  • Super Sons
  • New Gods or Legion of Doom or Crime Syndicate
  • Jessica Cruz/Simon Baz or Hal Jordan Green Lantern
That's it, I'm not asking for much.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is all I really want at this point is a Superman reboot and, for the moment, that's literally the only thing Gunn has confirmed to actually be happening so far XD So regardless of what we get tomorrow, I'm already satisfied.

But I too would like to see the slate just wiped completely clean. The Batman and Joker can stay in their own separate universes, but the rest? Reset the clock.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Wonder if this will all come out early tomorrow morning to have the whole day of buzz or will they wait till later in the afternoon?

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like that everyone on Twitter is like I can't say anything

BUT here is what I can say and go on to give vague hints of stuff

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know if there were many journalists yesterday, if it leaks they could identify easily the culprit.