• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just fired it up again. I give it a bit of a hard time for the way you lose your cells with no way to recover them (particularly annoying at the end of any of its long sections), but I did make it to a new area, which felt fresh with some cool new enemies. It's a fun game with spectacular gameplay and animation.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I already own it on PC but will probably pick it up for Switch as well. I'm liking how the Signature Edition looks. Has anyone ever bought one of those before? Are they good quality?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have this on PC but would like it on console as well, any word on if the PS4/Xbox versions will run at 60 fps?

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
Is this insanely hard?
Yes and no. At the beginning you will probably get destroyed. Not getting hit is more important then damaging enemies. Once you learn that and how/when to roll it becomes a lot easier. After 10-15 hours you'll probably beat it for the first time. Then normal is pretty easy. The higher difficulties are extremely hard. You take more damage/deal less and the game takes away the ability to heal. To me it just isn't fun 2+ boss cells since perfection is required. The bosses are also not fun to fight and the last one is annoyingly tanky and strong. Spending 30 minutes on a run and dying in 1 minute to the last boss made me rage quit a few times.

I enjoyed my 43 hours in the game but uninstalled it recently.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Will buy it physically on Switch I think. Can't wait to see how performance is, I wouldn't hold your breath for 60fps though IMO.

Oct 28, 2017
I got it in Early Access in Steam, and I played a bit with every update. The art and animation are nice, and the gameplay solid. I'm glad I waited the full release to enjoy ir properly.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get this on the Switch but the answer for this will sway me to the PS4 if it isn't 60fps.
I'm still getting it for Switch because I already have it in 60fps for PC, but I'd hope they found a way to get it to 60 for Switch as well. I only found one bit of off-screen footage for some expo and that video itself wasn't 60fps, so I couldn't tell if the game was.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Does progress from Early Access carry over?

Anyway, I'm already loving this game. Coming back to it every now and then. Amazing combat.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
I am considering physical for this... is thisrelatively feature complete or are we expecting major patches which would make a physical edition not really relevant ?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I really don't want to pre-order this without knowing how it runs on Switch... Do we expect some outlets to do previews on the game?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So those who played early access, this is worth pre-ordering for that discount, right?
I hope you like grinding because the progression system requires a lot it, and I don't think the game does much to make each run interesting compared to the last.

If you enjoyed Rogue Legacy you will probably like this, but my opinion is that combining Roguelike design with grindy progression mechanics is the worst that the genre has to offer, and misses the point of the genre entirely.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
wasn't much of a fan of the game in the end, but part of that is because singleplayer roguelikes are starting to annoy me
got to the last area but didn't beat the last boss, didn't unlock many weapons either
you could sort of cheese the game by dropping two turrets and then just run away from enemies until they did their job, hey it worked for me

going through the same areas again and again and again in a side-scrolling action game/platformer gets really old after a while, the level randomization doesn't do anything to make it feel fresh. I'd rather just have pre-built game worlds and fixed progression these days

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So you unlock abilities that stick through the different runs and find weapons and stuff in the individual runs?
Why is the game regarded as a standout? It looks nice, but not that special and the genre is somewhat crowded by now.

Is there anything the game does new in regards to other roguelikes? Or is it "just" especially well executed?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So you unlock abilities that stick through the different runs and find weapons and stuff in the individual runs?
Why is the game regarded as a standout? It looks nice, but not that special and the genre is somewhat crowded by now.

Is there anything the game does new in regards to other roguelikes? Or is it "just" especially well executed?
Combat and controls are fun and there is a lot of weapon variety.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have been playing in early access, to what extent is this game like Rogue Legacy? Is it possible to beat the game on the first run of a new save, or are certain areas gated by not having upgraded enough?
Personally from my play I thought it was much better balanced than Rogue Legacy. I always felt like in Rogue Legacy that I would be forced to grind and upgrade stuff but I did win a Dead Cells run on my 3rd-4th run when I got a bit lucky with the weapons I found and managed to play well. I never tried revisiting the game on a brand new save after learning it, but I imagine it would be possible to win a run there.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I had fun with it at first, the combat is super fluid and fun and I love the artstyle, but the amount of weapons/items is quite low so a lot of the runs end up feeling very samey and the difficulty doesn't steadily increase, it jumps up.

The options available to upgrade yourself don't seem good enough to make up for these huge difficulty spikes

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combat and controls are fun and there is a lot of weapon variety.

I had fun with it at first, the combat is super fluid and fun and I love the artstyle, but the amount of weapons/items is quite low so a lot of the runs end up feeling very samey and the difficulty doesn't steadily increase, it jumps up.

The options available to upgrade yourself don't seem good enough to make up for these huge difficulty spikes

Hmmm, so a lot or low weapon variety?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very nice looking game but I still feel like it's seriously lacking in gameplay depth. You either get a god roll DPS item or you lose... Kinda very little in-between, at least in my experience (have gotten passed the clock tower boss).
I completely agree. Just couldn't stick with it past 3-4 hours for some reason.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
IMO it's not even low if that person meant the the number of weapon types. Swords, shields, bows, whips, some others (also skills like traps and grenades and turrets and etc). But the weapons themselves feel unique enough. I've completed the game enough times with different weapons that I've still found it fun and I continue to do playthroughs hoping to find a legendary version of a weapon I haven't beaten the game with so I can spend a lot of time with that instead.

I guess if you don't like the core mechanics than none of the weapons will feel radically different enough to change your mind but if you do like them then the variations are good enough for repeated playthroughs.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Played it for about 5 hours on PC last year and absolutely loved it, but days later a Switch version was teased so I immediately stopped. Pre-purchased it yesterday and can't wait to jump back in, hopefully it'll be a commercial success similar to Hollow Knight. Awesome game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Dude August is going to be stacked

Dead Cells and Chasm are gonna be my jams

Metroidvania heaven

Im pretty sure Deaths Gambit was targeting August as well lol

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just need to know one thing - 60 fps on Switch?

They seem to answer questions on Twitter quite quickly, maybe they will respond? The video on the eShop is 60, but it might not be taken from the Switch version (although that's probably unlikely tbh as Nintendo would want the right version shown).

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There might be a large variety but it certainly didn't feel like it. The biggest reason is how slow unlocking weapons is. Some of them cost 100 souls or more and you only unlock blueprints through random drops.

So if you are not lucky enough to get blueprints then you are repeating the same levels over and over again with the same items showing up all the time.

It undoubtedly gets better the more you play but at first the variety is really low and it's all you encounter for run after run.

It only starts to pay off when you have run through the levels many many times, and I personally started to bore of this

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

200.gif

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of weapons. You won't have access to the majority of them and a lot of them aren't very good. The builds are the three main stats. Within that you want your items to flow. Fire with oil with extra damage. Or an ice build. There aren't that many really. The more weapons you unlock just means the less likely you are to get something you want for your build. It's why some people start the game over and only unlock what they want.

I wouldn't pay 30 for the game but I'm cheap. As a 15 or 20 title it is solid.