• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there is a fair number of other suits, but since these two are the "headliner" suits of DS1 and 2 (at least going by their key arts), I'm curious as to which people prefer:

2dchehzk5y511.jpg

latest

Also Remake OG Suit:

FhI_9GeXEAAxx60.jpg

I think I want to say that the Advanced Suit from DS2 is still my favorite, then probably the Remake version of the OG Suit and then the Original itself.

Maybe as a bonus, what is your favorite suit overall?

Last edited:

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I'm gonna go with the original DS1 suit as it was more utilitarian which fits the character better, DS2 suit makes him look too much like a space commando. The black version of the original suit that came with the PS3 version is even better and my favourite overall.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both were cool as fuck; its Alien v Aliens.

Nah, OG. Point of Isaac it's that he's just a worker, not a super hero Iron Man

Its a military combat suit, which not only fleshes out the series world building but fits considering Isaac is probably the single most prolific "ender" of necromorphs by the end of Dead Space.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How did EA / Dead Space 3 tank the series so hard? Its weird we're right back to vanilla Dead Space again.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The advanced suit is way too shiny and stands out, doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the game or is from a different type of game. OG suit all the way.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm gonna go with the original DS1 suit as it was more utilitarian which fits the character better, DS2 suit makes him look too much like a space commando. The black version of the original suit that came with the PS3 version is even better and my favourite overall.

Nah, OG. Point of Isaac it's that he's just a worker, not a super hero Iron Man

Done and done.

OG.

How did EA / Dead Space 3 tank the series so hard? Its weird we're right back to vanilla Dead Space again.

That's a thread all to itself but it's less Dead Space 3 and more EA. It was made around that time when EA were trying to nickle and dime on DLC. Mass Effect 3 suffered from the same issue, and both games did not appear on Steam for 8 years after.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
EA really was on a tear back then, taking out all the unique things about their franchises. They turned a survival horror series into a co-op cover shooter with microtransactions to buy upgrades and the true ending locked behind DLC.

I imagine the idea of remaking DS1 is the same as the Mass Effect Legendary Collection, a make good for the fans of the series that can also introduce new people to it.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I watched one of those retrospectives and it seems with DS3 it was a problem of publisher intervention and making them chase trendy gameplay features. As for the overall franchise EA just invested too much into it (animated movies, spin-off games) and didn't get the profitable return they expected.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That OG suit is one of the greatest and most badass suits for a fictional character ever. Every subsequent suit in the franchise was a downgrade. Dead Space is one of the only franchises where I almost never bother with unlockable suits on replays, there's just no improving on perfection.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OG. I love how ragtag, rusty and metal it looks.

Advanced suit from DS2 is already more "generic space armor" stuff imo.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
dead space 2 suit does not look workmanlike at all, it looks sleek and high tech

dead space 1 suit looks like an exterior skeleton, like an impractical bulging exoskeleton worn by age and a symbol of blue collar resilience, and it fits the rest of the environment very well, it's a bit of ishimura's own skeleton like interiors, i think it's much more consistent in tone and aesthetic with the game and the kind of horror it has

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On topic, OG suit with DS2's auto retracting helmet. Such a cool idea and puts all comic book movies that typically animate the hero's helmet disappearing into nothingness to shame.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
OG all the way. DS1 on pc is so dumb for including all those pre-order bonus suits. Pretty much make upgrading your suit throughout the game meaningless.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
I have to go with OG, and Remake is even better.

So what the fuck is the point of all the ridges and shapes on these suits?

I played the 1st game when it came out but I forget if there's any reason behind the design.

It just looks..so fucking stupid. Reminds me of:

View: https://twitter.com/SinnraMecha/status/1606862069961482240?t=-i42BqmL4EUC-QDMWrahMw&s=19

It's supposed to be reminiscent of a rib cage, that's all. This is also true for the Ishimura itself. They just wanted it to be creepy.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I like the look of the Elite Advanced Suit most, but both suits work for their respective games in the context of their narratives

s y

Nov 8, 2017
It's supposed to be reminiscent of a rib cage, that's all. This is also true for the Ishimura itself.
Looked it up and per the designer:
Lao's final design for the suit came together when he challenged himself to work with repeating sci-fi motifs that he traditionally found quite boring; things like exhaust vents that are often used to fill in the blank spaces on a design. "But what if I [used] this 'boring' repetition as a motif, a visual language of sorts on the suit?" he asked himself. "How well would that work to fit the theme? It might convey an interesting rugged look, yet something that I normally wouldn't go for.
Explains why I hate it. It's like those crates in Callisto Protocol that have 100 air vents and buckles and ridges for no reason.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The engineering suit is one of the greatest video game character designs of all time. I fucking love it.

The advanced suit is cool too but I just love the original too much.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The advanced suit is cooler but it could be from anything. The OG suit is the iconic one.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Really love the advanced suit from DS2. Original suits helmet looks like a garbage bin, not going to lie. Advanced helmet is cool and edgy.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the main suits from all three.

The first is so iconic. Loved adding ribs to it as the game progressed.
NeatTastyBarbet-size_restricted.gif

The second was a cool, sleek upgrade.
305.gif

I think the third doesn't get as much love as it should. It's a good mix of the bulkiness of the OG, with the sleekness of the advanced suit.
tumblr_mhcz4s734F1qdqlkxo4_500.gif

I've been wanting to buy an action figure of any/all three, but they go for almost $200 or more on Amazon/Ebay these days.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I like the OG but where does Vintage with its weird Buzz Lightyear head fall into all this

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
the xbox suit. you know isaac was a veteran of the console wars

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't played the games, getting the Advanced Suit in 2 is such a cool moment. The cutscene and music where you equip it is fantastic.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the advanced suit is so cool, i hope it's in the dead space remake as an unlockable or something like that