• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Don Cheadle Set As Narrator Of ABC’s ‘The Wonder Years’ Reboot

EXCLUSIVE: The Wonder Years reboot has found its narrator. Don Cheadle has been tapped to play adult Dean Williams in ABC‘s single-camera pilot from Saladin Patterson, the original series’ Fred Savage, and Lee Daniels. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders...
Written by Patterson and directed by Savage, the reboot of the classic 1980s family comedy-drama is set in the same era as the original. It looks at how the Williamses, a Black middle-class family in Montgomery, AL, in the turbulent late 1960s made sure it was the Wonder Years for them too.

The new Wonder Years centers on the family's teenage son Dean Williams (Elisha "EJ" Williams) much like the original series focused on Kevin Arnold (Savage). Both itterations are narrated by adult versions of the lead character. Cheadle is taking on adult Dean while Daniel Stern narrated the original as adult Kevin.

Dulé Hill and Saycon Sengbloh star as Dean's parents. Laura Kariuki is Kim Williams, Dean's teenage sister. Patterson and Savage executive produce along with Daniels and Marc Velez via Lee Daniels Entertainment. The original series' co-creator Neal Marlens serves as a consultant. 20th Television is the studio.

Damn this is getting better all the time

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Gus is old enough to have kids? Dang, I feel old now.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I used to go "ha ha if they did a Wonder Years these days, it'd be set in the 80s. That's how old we are! Ha ha ha."

:(

#itsfunnybecauseithurts

#retirementhome

#backinmydaythecerealcommercialswerecooler

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I used to go "ha ha if they did a Wonder Years these days, it'd be set in the 80s. That's how old we are! Ha ha ha."

:(

#itsfunnybecauseithurts

#retirementhome

#backinmydaythecerealcommercialswerecooler
Hey, to be fair, they're still setting it in the 60s! That just happens to be waaaaaay older now than it was then hahaha.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know this show was happening!

Wonder Years is by far my favorite show, so I'm all in on this.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I hope it plays things straight and earnest like the original Wonder Years instead of leaning into modern sitcom territory with forced humor

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cheadle is so perfect a casting I can hear it right now.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I'd forgotten this was announced and didn't realize the set up for it. I love keeping it in the 60's and with a black family. It feels less like a reboot and more like a companion series. I love the thought of The wonder Years becoming an anthology over time.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Please let him talk about Pluto.
82f3c668cbe63141dcd0fb78435bd1a8.gif

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's more like Wonder Years and less like Goldbergs. Goldbergs is so formulaic that I got sick of the plot structure after one season. Occasionally I'll try another episode and it's exactly the same. Some lesson where one of them is mad at the other and learns that it's all okay and they make up by the end.

I just really appreciate that Wonder Years was able to end episodes sometimes without a happy resolution. Most family shows right now don't do that anymore.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everything have to be a reboot or reimagining of something that was made in the 80s and 90s?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wonder Years started in 1988, and told a story beginning in 1968.

A proper reboot of The Wonder Years that observed the same time gap of the original would actually take place in the year 2001, probably following Kevin as he deals with the nationwide repurcussions of the September 11 terrorist attacks. That's how old you are.

If you want to be even more depressed, consider that a proper Dazed & Confused remake would take place in like 2004.

Stu

Nov 2, 2017
I wish the original Wonder Years was streaming somewhere in the UK, been years since I've seen it. Looking forward to this one too.